SEWELL E. BUTLER

Sewell E. Butler, farmer and breeder of stock, residing at Malta, was born Aug. 5, 1845 in Du Page Co., Ill.   Joseph Butler, his father, was born and reared in the State of New York and there followed the vocation farmer.   He married Abigail West and soon after removed to Illinois, settling in Du Page County at a period when the State was in its pioneer condition, and where he was among the first to locate in the township of Bloomingdale.   He is the owner of 320 acres of land where he first settled, and is one of the foremost citizens of the county.   The mother died there May 5, 1834, aged 62 years and eight months.   The father is 68 years old.
  Mr. Butler continued to reside in his native county until he was 28 years of age.    In 1873 he went to Buchanan Co., Iowa, where he was married March 11, 1874, to Sarah, daughter of Andrew and Abigail (Peck) Payne.   She was born March 15, 1849, in Delaware Co., N.Y., which was also the native place of her parents.    The family went to Iowa when the daughter was seven years of age, and she was the youngest of ten children.   Her father died a short time before her marriage.   Her mother is 75 years of age, and is still a resident of the homestead in Buchanan County.
  Mr. and Mrs. Butler came to Malta immediately after their marriage and located in section 24, where they owned 135 acres, on which they carried on agricultural operations until May 1882.   In that month the farm was leased and the family removed to the village of Malta.   Mr. Butler purchased two acres of land within the village corporation, including an improved lot and available buildings.   He is also the owner of 40 acres of land on section 23, one-half of which is within the incorporated limits of Malta.   Mr. Butler is a Republican of decided stamp.
  The children of Mr. and Mrs. Butler are:   Helen M., born Feb. 27, 1877, Adelia, Sept. 4, 1880, and Elijah, Jan. 15, 1884.

The biography is from:
Portrait and Biographical Album of DeKalb County, Illinois : Chicago: Chapman Bros., 1885,    pp. 628-629