DAVID FIELWEBER, a blacksmith of Morton Grove, who is also engaged in business as a dealer in buggies, wagons, harvesters, agricultural implements and hardware, is numbered among the leading business men of Niles Township. Enterprise and industry have won for him success, and his reputation is one well merited. He was born in Lake County, Illinois, December 16, 1856, and is a son of Jacob and Kate (Hierchberker) Fielweber. This worthy couple were married in 1844, and the same year left Germany, the land of their birth, for the New World. The father was born in Alsace, then a part of France, June 5, 1818, and served as a soldier for seven years in the French army. The paternal grandfather, Jacob Fielweber, was also a native of Alsace, and fought under Napoleon in the war with Russia.
David Fielweber is the second or youngest son in order of birth in a family of ten children, numbering two sons and eight daughters, of whom Sarah and Carrie are now deceased. Those still living are: Jacob, a farmer of Dennison, Crawford County, Iowa, who is the sixth eldest; David, of this sketch; Katie, wife of George Popp, a farmer of Waterloo, Iowa; Ellen, a resident of Chicago; Frederika, wife of John Keller, who is in the flour and feed business in Chicago; Sophia, widow of Henry Methling, of Chicago; Emma, wife of John Urich, a policeman of the same city; and Louisa, wife of Otto Buelow, a commission merchant of Chicago.
Under the parental roof Mr. Fielweber whose name heads this record spent the days of his boyhood and youth. At the age of seventeen he began learning the trade of blacksmithing, serving a three-years apprenticeship, and since that time has made it his life work. He was first employed in Wauconda Township, Lake County, for three years; afterwards spent one year in Palatine, Cook County, and four years in Chicago. He then began business for himself as a dealer in agricultural implements and hardware in Niles Township, buying a three-acre lot, upon which was an inferior dwelling and shop. With less than $300 he began operations here, but his business has steadily increased, until he now employs eight men and is enjoying an extensive trade. Since buying his lot he has erected a two-story building for his machinery, and in 1891 he built a neat two-story frame dwelling in modern style of architecture and supplied with all modern conveniences.
On the 2d of July, 1882, Mr. Fielweber led to the marriage altar Miss Mary Methling, daughter of John Methling, a retired farmer of Wheeling, Cook County, and a native of Mecklenburg, Germany. The lady was born March 21, 1862, and by her marriage has become the mother of two daughters: Clara, born December 5, 1883, and Ella, born January 3, 1886.
The public gives to Mr. Fielweber a liberal patronage, for he earnestly desires to please his customers and is straightforward and honorable in all business transactions. In politics he is a Republican, but has never sought or desired political preferment. He and his wife hold membership with the Lutheran Church. The cause of education finds in him a warm friend, ever ready to advance its interests, and for several years he has efficiently served as School Director.
Submitted by Sherri Hessick on October 29, 2001
DISCLAIMER: The submitter is not related to the subject of this biography nor is she related to anyone mentioned in the biography.