The History of Edgar County, Illinois
Chicago: Wm. Le Baron, Jr. & Co., 186 Dearborn Street 1879
Elbridge Township p.698.
JOHN CUMMINS, farmer; P. O. Vermillion; made his home in Edgar Co. forty-eight years ago; he was born in Harrison Co., Ky., Dec. 25 (Christmas), 1807, and is the son of Joseph and Lydia Cummins; his father was a farmer, a native of Pennsylvania, having moved to Kentucky at an early day; Mr. Cummins was raised on the farm, engaged in farming. He married in Kentucky to Nancy Chapman, of Tennessee, daughter of Robert Chapman. In 1830, with wife and one child and his brother, James Cummins (who died in Edgar Co. 1846), started for Illinois in a wagon drawn by a span of horses; they arrived and settled in Eldridge Tp., Edgar Co. Mr. Cummins, when he first came here, was very poor, having a team of horses and $5.12 1/2 in money; the first four years, he rented a farm; in 1834, he purchased the first forty acres of land which lies between the present farm and Vermillion; he built a log cabin in 1834, and lived there until about 1850; with the trials that none but the old settlers have experienced, he has managed to accumulate 280 acres of land. Mr. Cummins was a soldier of the Black Hawk war, and did good service. His wife died February, 1874, at 63 years old; they had thirteen children, ten children living, all married; fifty-nine grandchildren.
Submitted by Minga
(Buckle) Stivers .