1890 Portrait and Biographical Album Peoria Co. page 869-870.
Henry T. Fahnestock. There is probably no farm in Trivoli Township which presents a more attractive appearance than that owned and occupied by our subject. It consists of eight acres on section 16, which have been thoroughly improved, no waste land being found upon the estate, but every rod being made productive, or set apart for some proper purpose. It is fenced in
convenient fields, the parts bordering on the road being outlined by hedges, tiles having been put in wherever drainage was necessary, and orchards, groves and small fruits made use of as adornments and sources of remuneration. The dwelling is more than ordinarily well built, convenient and attractive, is accompanied by good outbuildings, and surrounded by a grove of hard maple trees. The latest improved machinery is used in the work of the estate, and the two teams are first-class English draft horses.
The Fahnestock family is traced through past centuries to Rupert Von Fahnestock, who made a Baron of the Roman Empire by Robert of Normandy, who was in power about the middle of the eleventh century. Through some of the noble families of Prussia the line has descended to Laborius Fahnestock, of Prussia, whose son, Diedrich, was born in Westphalia, and emigrated to America in 1726, settling near Ephratah, Pa. The next in the line was Casper, a native of the Keystone State, and following him, Charles, who was born in Chester county, February 1, 1761, married Susan Smith and reared fourteen children. One of this large family was another Charles, also born in Chester county, who took up the occupation of farming, becoming the owner of a large tract of land. He also had two hotels on the turnpike between Philadelphia and Lancaster, where he entertained guests and changed the horses of the stage route. One of the hotels was the Warren Inn, spoken of in T.B. Read's great work, the "Wagoner of the Alleghanies;" the other was located near the Paoli Monument.
The next in the direct line of descent was William Fahnestock, born in Chester County, March 21, 1808. He carried on the Warren Inn for some years, coming into possession of it on the death of his father. Reared on a farm when the building of the railroad lessened his business on the stage route, he sold the inn and located on a farm near Faggs Manor. He operated one hundred acres or more until 1854, when he brought his family to Illinois, locating at Brunswick, this county, becoming the
possessor of one hundred and ninety-nine acres of land, which he developed into a fine farm. He was one of five who bought the site of the Brunswick church and cemetery, assisted in erecting the building and deeded it to the Presbyterian General Assembly. He was a pillar in the church, and Ruling Elder until his death. After the war he voted the Republican ticket. His death took place in the spring of 1881, when he was seventy-three years old.
The wife of William Fahnestock was Ann Elizabeth Ernst, who was born in Pottsville, Pennsylvania, her father being a merchant in that town and vicinity until his death. Her brother, William Ernst, now a prominent banker of Covington, Ky., is one of the Revision committee of the Presbyterian Creed. Mrs. Fahnestock was called hence in 1877, after a life well spent. To this worthy couple ten children were born- Charles, William, John, Amelia, Alfred, Fred, Henry T., Lizzie, Walter and Edward. The seventh member of the fraternal band is the subject of this notice.
Charles Fahnestock, the oldest member of this family, was a professor of the High School at Lewistown, a merchant, and also carried on a book store. He possessed strong literary tastes, and was the author of many songs which have been set to music among them being, "Give the boys a Chance," We'll Have to Mortgage the Farm", 'The Girls of Our Town," "Starry Waves,", etc. he died in Lewistown, IL. William was a student at Center college, and died at his home in Brunswick; John is a retired
merchant at Galesburg; Amelia is the wife of Park Love of Orion Township, Fulton county; Alfred, a graduate of Princeton (N.J.) College, has been Pastor of a Presbyterian Church at Syracuse, N.Y. for fifteen years; Fred is general agent for the singer Sewing Machine company at Cohoes, N.Y.; Lizzie died when quite small as did Walter and Edward, who
Our subject was born in Upper Oxford, Chester county, Pa., March 25, 1846, lived at his birthplace until seven years old, and then accompanied his parents to the Prairie State, their journey being made from Cincinnati to Peoria on a boat, and from the latter place to Johnson's corners in a wagon. He attended the district schools, and a parochial school at Brunswick, which was under the charge of the Rev. Mr. McFarland, and like other farmers sons was early taught to bear a hand in various home duties. When twenty-one years he took charge of the home place, renting and operating it until 1880, when he bought that
upon which he now resides. His father had rented his farm with the intention of moving with our subject, and had his goods packed, when he was stricken with paralysis which caused his death. Our subject was one of the three administrators of his fathers place. Taking possession of his place, he continued the employment in which he had formerly been interested, and added to the value of his new home by continued excellent improvements.
The lady who presides over the pleasant home of our subject became his wife December 18, 1871, their marriage rites being celebrated at her home in this township. She was born in Westmoreland County, Pa., bore the maiden name of Rebecca Christy, and came West with her father, William Christy, in 1866. Mr. Christy owns a fine farm of one hundred
and twenty acres, but has now abandoned its operation, making his home with his son James in Fulton county. Mr. and Mrs. Fahnestock are the happy parents five children; Lizzie E., Tillie W., John C., William H. and Llewellyn-who receive every advantage possible in the way of education and home training.
Mr. Fahnestock is a Republican, has been delegate to county conventions, and is an ardent advocate of temperance. He has served on juries. He is Ruling Elder in the Brunswick Presbyterian Church, has been Superintendent of the Sunday-school since he was twenty-five years old, and is now teacher of the Bible class. He is also a Trustee, and has been delegate to Presbyteries and Synods. He is a consistent Christian, whose rule in life is to do as he would be done by. One seldom meets a more genial, entertaining gentleman, or one of more hospitable spirit, and it is indeed an honor to know him.
Submitted by Londie Benson.