Jacob Linck Peoria Biographical and Portrait Album

Jacob Linck, manufacturer of harness and horse collars at Trivoli, is known widely throughout the county, and is liked by everyone for his good nature and his geniality. He is still doing business in the old shop that he established here many years ago and is now independent and well-to-do.

Our subject is of German birth and antecedents. He is the son of Jacob Linck, who was born in the Grand Duchy of Hesse-Darmstadt, Germany. The father was orphaned at an early age, and when quite young was set to learn the trade of a tailor, but could not endure the confinement and left that to engage as a grain dealer in the village of Wahlheim, and there his death occurred in 1842 while he was yet in life's prime, he being but forty-four years of age. He was a devoted Christian and member of the Protestant Church. His wife, whose maiden name was Ann M. Mack, was born in Ielbesheim, in a Rhine Province of Bavaria, and came to America with our subject and spent the remainder of her life with her children, dying in the home of the son of whom we write in 1868, at the age of sixty-nine years.

To these worthy people were born six children of whom the following is the record: Jacob, our subject; Catherine, Mrs. Seltzer, died in Trivoli township; Philip died at Ft. Worth, Tex., in 1886; Frederick died in Trivoli; Ellen, Mrs. Neiderlander, lives in Pekin; Henry died while in the army. He was a member of the Third Illinois Cavalry, enlisting in 1862, at Pekin, and he died of sickness contracted on the battlefield. He was in a hospital at Memphis, and was transferred to St. Louis Mo., but just as he got to the wharf, expired. Philip was also a soldier, a member of the Fourteenth Illinois Cavalry. He enlisted in 1863, at Peoria, assisted in getting up a company of which he was appointed Second Lieutenant, and served as such until his resignation.

The subject of this biography was born in Wahlheim, Germany, June 24, 1830. He had excellent school advantages and at the age of fourteen was apprenticed for a term of three years to learn the trade of a harness-maker in the city of Alzey. At the expiration of that time, he traveled as a journey-man for five years through Hess-Darmstadt, Nassau, Baden, Bavaria, Prussia, Austria and Poland. In 1852 he opened a shop of his own in his native place and conducted a successful business there for four years. The remainder of his family had made up their minds to come to America and though he was doing so well, they prevailed upon him to accompany them, and in September, 1856, they left Havre on the good ship "Caroline," under Capt. Dow and six weeks later landed in New York in November. They made their way to this county and to Trivoli Township, where they remained over winter.

In the spring Mr. Linck went to Peoria, and was employed there as a journeyman for one year. Feb. 14, 1858, he opened a shop commenced the manufacture of harness and horse collars in Trivoli. He did not intend to stay here but did not care to be idle while he was waiting for some other opening. But, he did so well here that he finally decided to remain permanently and since he has since built up a large and lucrative business employing from one to three hands beside himself and for three or four years has manufactured collars for the Peoria market. He is now the oldest businessman in the place and has one of the pleasantest homes in the township. The residence which he built himself is neat and commodious and he has eight acres of land in the village. He owns besides three hundred and twenty acres of improved land in Antelope County, Neb., and since 1885, has owned a tract of one hundred acres in this township, which he rents.

The marriage of our subject with Miss Agnes Haas took place in Trivoli October 7, 1862. She was born in Baden in the village of Overbergen and is a daughter of Roman Haas, who came to this country in 1867. Her mother died in Germany. Her father made his home with his children, a part of the time with her, and a part of the time with a daughter in Woodford County, where he died. Mrs. Linck came to America with an uncle who located in Woodford County.

Mr. and Mrs. Linck have three children: Emma, Henry C. and Otto B. Emma is the wife of E. E. Harding, an attorney at Elmwood; Henry, who is in the harness business with his father, is well educated, having been a student of the Western Business college, at Galesburg; Otto, though only fifteen years of age is one of the most advanced scholars of the place and already holds a teacher's certificate.

Mr. Linck is a Master mason at Farmington. He is influential in township affairs, and has been School Director. He was instrumental in getting the old Peoria and Farmington Railroad here, lending his influence to the company, and subscribing $100 to the project. He is a true-blue Republican, is prominent in the councils of his party, and has been delegate to county and congressional conventions. He is a man of earnest religious nature and holds to the faith of the Evangelical Church. He also was Postmaster for fifteen years, until the office was removed to lower Trivoli.

Submitted by Londie Benson.