Page 217 Portrait and Biographical Album Peoria County 1890
Submitted by Londie Benson
Yerion Bros. These agreeable, hospitable gentlemen rank among the successful farmers of Trivoli Township, where they operate an estate consisting of one hundred and sixty acres on section 29, and forty acres of timber. They are engaged in farming and stock- raising, making a specialty of the latter, to which they have devoted more and more attention each year since they took possession of the farm. They raise from one hundred to one hundred and fifty head of hogs of good grades, have twenty to thirty head of road horses, and are the happy possessors of the finest driving team in the township. This span is Morgan and Flying Cloud and of Morgan Clay blood. Their younger brother, John who lives with them, owns Eureka, an Abdallah and Morgan stallion whose record is 2:40.
The Yerion line is of French and German origin, the remote ancestors of our subjects having been resident in Alsace. Their grandfather William Yerion, a native of Pennsylvania, accompanied a colony to Virginia, where he was engaged in farming and distilling. About 1840, he came West, located on raw land near Brunswick, IL, and improving one hundred and sixty acres, resided thereon until 1855. He then sold, bought another tract of raw land in the vicinity of El Paso, farmed there some five years and then moved into the village. Later he became a resident of Bloomington, passing his last days there and dying in 1885, at the age of eighty-four years.
Among the members of the family of Grandfather Yerion was a son, William who was born in Virginia, but became a resident of the Prairie State in early boyhood. His first employment away from home was driving a team when the Illinois Central Railroad was being build through Woodford county. He next bought forty acres of land in that county, improved and resided upon it until 1881, when he took up his abode in Farmington, Fulton county. There he spent the remnant of his days, dying in 1885, in his fifty sixth year. He was an active member of the Methodist Episcopal Church and during the last thirteen years of his life a local minister. He was a strong Democrat in politics, a self-made man in finances, and an honored citizen.
The maternal grandfather of our subjects was George Patten, who was born in Ireland and brought to America by his parents when eight years old. The family settled in W. Virginia, whence Grandfather Patten removed to McLean County, IL and later to Buchanan county, MO. He was of the Protestant religion. His occupation was that of a farmer. His daughter Catherine, became the wife of William Yerion, Jr. sharing his joys and sorrows until 1878, when she entered into rest. Like her husband, she was an honored member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. She was the mother of five children, four of whom are living in Trivoli Township. These are, Adelia F., Alva A., George W. and John D. the fourth child, Joseph is engaged in the grocery business in Farmington, Fulton County.
Alva A Yerion was born in El Paso Township, Woodford County, November 1, 1857, and his brother George W., February 3, 1860. Their childhood was spent on the farm their time being divided between home duties and attendance at the common schools, which were in session only during the winter months. In 1880 they came to Trivoli Township. Alva being in the employ of D. B. Stookey four years, and George working at various places until 1884, when they formed the present partnership, renting the land from their stepmother. They began business with a capital of $700, engaging in farming, raising grain principally, and as fast as possible turning their attention toward stock. As before stated, they are successful in the employment they have chosen, and as they are still comparatively young, are likely to become the possessors of a comfortable fortune by the time they have reached middle age.
The elder of our subjects is unmarried, but George W. took a wife January 10, 1889. This was Miss Lucy, a daughter of William H. and Rebecca J (Dunn) Meeker of this township, whose family history will be found elsewhere in this work. Mrs. Yerion was reared in this township, educated in its schools, and fitted for usefulness in her sphere. She is the mother of one child-Cena. She and her husband are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church at Concord. Both the Yerion brothers are Democrats; Alva has been delegate to county conventions and is now Constable.