HISTORY OF TREMONT, ILLINOIS by Millie Troll 1925, p. 20:
AQUILLA J. DAVIS
Aquilla J. Davis, son of Hesakiah and Sally T. (Scott) Davis, was born in Elm Grove township March 3, 1830. He followed the occupation of farmer until the Civil War broke out, when he enlisted on Company H in the 11th Volunteers. (Cav. is pencilled in). He was wounded at the Battle of Shiloh, and was promoted to Captain for meritorious service, his promotion being followed by others until the close of the war, when he was mustered out at Memphis in 1865 with the rank of Lieutenant Colonel. After the war, he returned to Tazewell County and in 1869, located at Tremont, engaging in the hardware and agricultural business. In 1872 he engaged in the banking business with Mr. Hobart, and was the founder of the Tremont Bank. Later Mr. Hobart withdrew, and his son, A. D. Davis, became associated with him. Mr. Davis held many offices of trust, being school trustee for 25 years. His father was one of the first settlers in Tazewell County, having come to Elm Grove Township in 1826. Mr. Davis was married in Groveland Township December 24, 1850, to Miss Martha A. Gowdy. Mr. Davis passed away in March 1908. Mrs. Davis died in 1905.
Submitted by Betty Doremus