Clark G. Reynolds
Clark G. Reynolds, a farmer, owning 320 acres of land on sections 15 and 19, Prophetstown Township, is a son of Nathaniel and Phebe (Brace) Reynolds. He was born in Erie Co., N.Y., April 19, 1833. His father was a farmer and merchant, and was for several years Probate Judge of Whiteside County. In the fall of 1835, he drove through with three teams from New York to this county, accompanied by his wife and four children, one of his children having remained in New York to finish a two years' term of school. On his arrival here, he located three-quarters of a mile west of the present village of Prophetstown, on what is known as the Quigley farm. When the land came into market he purchased 320 acres from the Government, and remained on the place until about 1855, when he moved to Sterling, having been elected Probate Judge. He held the office eight years, from 1849 to 1857. His death occurred in Sterling, Jan. 21, 1866. He was Justice of the Peace in Prophetstown Township for a number of years. Politically, he was a Republican, and socially a member of the Order of Masonry. The mother of the subject of this notice was born in Black Rock, N.Y., and died in Prophetstown Township, April 18, 1876. They were the parents of five children, all living, namely: Phineas B., a farmer residing in Nebraska; Linus C., a farmer of Prophetstown Township; Orpha G. is the wife of Edward Gage, a resident of the same township; Amanda was the wife of Edson Smith (formerly a farmer but now deceased), and resides in Prophetstown.
Clark G. Reynolds, subject of this biographical notice, received his education in the common schools and was reared to the occupation of a farmer, which calling he has since followed. After his father's death, who owned 640 acres of land where Clark G. now resides, he and his brother Linus C. purchased the land and paid off the remaining heirs. Mr. Reynolds took the 320 acres on which he at present resides. He makes a specialty of fine stock and usually has from 75 to 100 head. He raises a few horses of the Black Hawk stock and fattens from 50 to 60 hogs for the market annually. He owns two dwellings and three acres of land in Prophetstown, which he rents, and has nine and a quarter acres of timbered land in Portland Township. Socially, he is a member of the Odd Fellows' Order.
Mr. Reynolds was united in marriage, in Morrison, this county, Feb. 21, 1862, to Miss Amanda E. Conner, a daughter of John H. and Catherine M. Conner, She was born in St. Louis, Mo. They have been the parents of five children. The record is as follows: Katie B., born May 4, 1866; Carrie B., born July 11, 1868, and died Dec. 21, 1873; Millie O., born Oct. 20, 1870; Pearlie I., born Sept. 7, 1873; and Nathaniel C., born June 8, 1877.
Submitted by email@example.com.