Past and Present of the City of Rockford and Winnebago County, IL, C. A. Church. Chicago: Clarke Publishing Company, 1905, pp 395-6
Ellis ANDREW, retired from agricultural pursuits and now living in Rockford [Winnebago County, IL], was born in England in 1838, his parents being William and Hannah ANDREW, who in 1846 made their way across the briny deep to the new world, landing at RI, where they remained for four years. During that time the father came to Burritt Township, Winnebago County, and purchased 30 acres of land from the govenment. He then returned to New England, and in 1850 brought his family to IL, settling upon the little farm which he had prepared. He spent his remaining days in Burritt Township, and as the years went by his labors were not only practical and progressive, but also profitable, and he became the owner of 260 acres of land. Both he and his wife were identified with the church of England. They were the parents of 13 children, of whom nine reached years of maturity, while Ellis and threeand three sisters are now living, namely: Mrs. CHAPMAN, who resides on Winnebago Street in Rockford; one living in MO; and another in IA.
Ellis ANDREW acquired but a limited education, for when only eight years of age he began earning his own living, and has always followed farming. He remained at home until 28 years of age, and in 1866 was united in marriage to Miss Ellen RUDD, who was born in Erie County, NY, 05 Nov 1842, her parents being Joel and Caroline (ESTEE) RUDD. The father was born in Middletown, VA, 07 Feb 1794, and the mother in Salem [Washington County], NY, 04 Feb 1807. In 1846 Mr. and Mrs. RUDD removed to the west, the former following agricultural pursuits in Burritt Township, where he owned and operated 60 acres of good land up to the time of his death, which occurred 23 Feb 1856. He was survived by his wife until 17 Feb 1874. His three daughters are all living, namely: Mrs. E. CUSHMAN, a resident of Rockford [Winnebago County, IL]; Mrs. Clarissa OAKLEY, of Durand [Winnebago County, IL]; and Mrs. ANDREW. Unto our subject and his wife have been born two sons, Lewis J., born 02 Jan 1869, was a student in Oregon [Ogle County], IL, for three years, and afterward attended the Chicago Dental College, from which he was graduated in April 1899, since which time he has practiced in Rockford, having an office at the corner of Wyman and State Streets. Charles A., born 03 Oct 1870, and attended college in Oregon, IL, for a year. He married Miss Bertha A. DAVIS, of Burritt Township, and has one child, Verna L., born 22 May, 1902. He is now successfully following farming in Burritt Township.
After his marriage Mr. ANDREW of this review engaged in operating land on the shares from 1866 until 1874, and in the latter year his mother-in-law died, after which he purchased a farm of 60 acres which she had previously owned, and of which he retained possession until a short time ago, when he sold it to his son. He kept adding to it from time to time until the farm comprised 175 acres, and of this he still has 100 acres, but in 1899 he retired from active business life and took up his abode in Rockford, where he rented a house for four years, and then in 1903 built the home which he now occupies at No. 837 North Horsman Street.
[p 396] Voting with the Republican party, Mr. ANDREW keeps well informed on the questions and issues of the day, and has served as highway commissioner and constable. He is a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, and attends the Court Street Methodist church, of which his wife is a member. He gained the greater part of his property through his own efforts, and his life record proves the force and value of industry and perseverance in the active affairs of life. He is not only a self-made, but also a self-educated man, and keeps thoroughly informed concerning the leading questions and interests of the day. He was but eight years of age when he came with his parents to America, and for more than a half century he has resided in Winnebago County.
Submitted by Cathy Kubly.