CARTY, Edward F.
Past and Present of the City of Rockford and Winnebago Co., IL, C. A. Church. Chicago: Clarke, 1905, pp 834-835
Edward Francis CARTY instituted in Rockford [Winnebago County, IL] a business which, constantly growing in volume and importance, has become a profitable meat packing industry. A native of Dubuque [Dubuque County], IA, he was born in 1867, a son of Edward CARTY, who removed from Cherry Valley Township to Dubuque. Subsequently, however, he returned to his old home in 1870. He was a baker by trade and followed that pursuit for several years. His death occurred in 1872. In his family were four children: J. J., a resident of Dixon [Lee County], IL, who is engaged on the Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul railroad; Elizabeth, who died at the age of 17 years; and Rose, who died at the age of 16 years. The mother is still living at the age of 72 years and makes her home at No. 1272 South Church Street, Rockford.
Edward F. CARTY accompanied his parents on their removal from Cherry Valley and there attended the public schools until sixteen years of age, when he entered upon his business career by learning the butcher's trade, being employed in that way for one year at Cherry Valley. In 1887 he entered the employ of the Schmauss Company, with which he continued for 17 years, eventually securing advancement and recogniton of his fidelity and capability until he became manager of the firm. Ambitious to become an independent factor in business circles, that his labors might more directly benefit himself, he organized a company in 1903, becoming associated with Don DEVER, Tom MONNEX, and Henry BINGHAM, under the name of The CARTY, DEVER & MONNEX Company. They now conduct four stores at No. 321 West State Street, 518 East State Street, 1003 South Main Street, and 1061 West State Street, and the volume of their business is constantly growing until it represents a large investment and returns a very gratifying income each year. At their slaughter house they have 20 acres of land, upon which they also erected a cold storage plant. They furnish employment to 35 people and slaughter 100 head of cattle and 600 head of hogs per day. They pack hogs, doing both a wholesale and retail business, and are represented on the road by traveling salesmen. The business was incorporated in Mar 1905, and has become one of the leading enterprises of this character in Rockford.
Mr. CARTY lives with his mother at No. 1272 South Church Street. He has taken an active interest in the affairs of the city and in 1903 was elected alderman from the 5th ward upon an independent ticket. He was made chairman of the committee of streets and alleys, fire and water, and purchasing committee, the lease committee and the sidewalk committee, and he exercises offical prerogatives in support of all practical measures than tend to advance general progress and improvement. He belongs to St. Mary's Catholic church and holds fraternal relations with the Knights of Columbus, the Knights of Pythias, the Elks, and Kishwaukee Tribe of Red Men. Mr. CARTY is yet a young man, but has already attained success that might well be envied by many a man of twice his years. He has wrought along modern business lines, watchful of every indication pointing to advancement, utilizing each [p 835] opportunity that has presented, and making every forward step after thoughtful consideration. His mistakes therefore have been few, and his progress and prosperity are assured.
Submitted by Cathy Kubly.