Past and Present of the City of Rockford and Winnebago County, IL, C. A. Church. Chicago: Clarke Publishing Company, 1905, p 177
John ANDREWS, practically living retired, after many years of active connection with agricultural interests, makes his home at 1723 School Street [Rockford, Winnebago County, IL]. He is a native of southern IN, his birth having occurred in Posey County, 01 Apr 1831, his parents being Anson S. and Elizabeth (BUTLER) ANDREWS. The father was born in CT in 1787, and the mother was a native of MA. After leaving the Charter Oak state [CT], Anson A. ANDREWS went to NY City and later came to the middle west, settling in IN, where he followed general agricultural pursuits until his death, which occurred in 1854. In his family were two sons and a daughter, all of whom are now living, namely: Seth, a resident of WI; Mrs. Harriet HINKLEY, a resident of Rockford; and John, of this review.
John ANDREWS spent the first 27 years of his life in the county of his nativity and acquired his early education in the common schools, and also studied mathematics and the dead languages. He remained on the farm after his father's death, and he became interested in a flour mill and a general store in IN, thus having varied business affairs which claimed his time and attention and made him one of the enterprising citizens of that locality. In 1858, however, he sold his property in that state and removed to southern IL, becoming interested in a large orchard there, and carrying on horticultural pursuits for about three years. He first made his way to Rockford in Sep 1861, and has spent the greater part of the time here since. His attention has been given largely to agricultural pursuits and he yet owns a valuable tract of land of 150 acres adjoining the city limits. He is now practically living retired, doing only a little gardening, while the remainder of his land is rented. His farm is worth $300 per acre, and it is the visible evidence of his life of well directed labor and enterprise. He has made the most of his opportunities as the years have gone by, and has ever been found honest and reliable in his business dealings.
In 1858 Mr. ANDREWS married at Lincoln [Logan County] IL, to Miss Mirinda PIPER, who was born in Charleston [Coles County], IL, in 1840, and is a daughter of B. B. PIPER, a minister of that denomination formerly known as Hardshell Baptists. Mr. and Mrs. ANDREWS became the parents of three sons: Charles N., who died in 1900; Harry B., a practicing attorney of Rockford; and Ernest E. J., a teacher in one of the high schools of Chicago. Our subject and his wife now reside at No. 1723 School Street, where they have a beautiful home. They are both interested in religious work, being members of the Christian church. Mr. ANDREWS has never given evidence but once upon the witness stand, has never served on a petit jury, nor sued or been sued by any man. He has lived peacefully with his fellowman, true to principles of honorable manhood and in his business career he has won very desriable success. Having resided in this county almost continuously for a period of 44 years, he is well known here, and is one of the leading and representative citizens of the community.
Submitted by Cathy Kubly.