Search billions of records on

Portrait & Biographical Record Winnebago & Boone Cos., IL. Chicago: Biographical Pub. Co., 1892, pp 1282-1283

Oscar BERGQUIST, who is now living a retired life at his pleasant home on the corner of 5th Street and 4th Avenue in Rockford [Winnebago County, IL], is numbered among the early settlers of this city in 1855.  He has witnessed almost the entire growth of the place, and has been prominently connected with its business interests.  He is widely and favorably known in this community.

Mr. BERGQUIST was born in Vermland, Sweden, 06 Aug 1826, and is a son of Captain Carl Axil NAUCLER, who came of French descent.  For many years he was connected with the army, and for his services and bravery received prominent recognition from the Swedish Government, being given a star and two gold medals.  He died at the advanced age of 72 years.  His wife, who bore the maiden name of Katie ANDERSON, was a Swedish lady, and was called to her final rest at the advanced age of 80 years.  They were both Lutherans in religious belief.

Mr. BERGQUIST, whose name heads ths record, spent the days of his boyhood and youth in his native province, and there learned the painter's trade.  Desiring to try his fortune in America, a crossed the Atlantic in 1854, being the first of his family to come to this country.  He sailed from Christiana [now Oslo], Norway, and after a voyage of 11 weeks and 3 days, landed in Quebec, Canada, whence he made his way to Chicago, where he spent one year working at his trade.  The following year he came to Rockford and began business as a painter.  As he was a good workman and straightforward in business, he received a liberal patronage from the beginning, which constantly increased until he had acquired a handsome conpetence.

Mr. BERGQUIST was married in Rockford in 1855 to Miss Anna B. MORK, who was born in Smoland [Smaland], Sweden, 26 May 1828, and is a daughter of Larson MORK, a private soldier in the regular Swedish Army, who after some years of active service retired on a pension, and died at an advanced age in 1855.  His wife survived him until 1857.   Their daughter came to this country in 1853, landing on 21 Oct in Boston, where she made her home for a year.  The vessel in which she sailed was nine weeks upon the Atlantic, and on the voyage 60 of its 250 passengers died of cholera.  Her brother, John LARSON, had come to the U. S. a few months previous.

For 37 years Mr. and Mrs. have lived and labored together, and their upright lives and sterling worth have won them the high regard of all they with whom they have come in contact.  They now have a pleasant home on 5th Street and 4th Avenue, and he also owns one other good [p 1283] residence on the same block.  Mrs. BERGQUIST was formerly a member of the Lutheran Church, but now belongs to the Methodist Church.   They were the parents of nine children, five of whom died in early infancy, and C. Gustave, William E., Ebba J., and Ebba W., all died in childhood.

Submitted by Cathy Kubly.