Past and Present of the City of Rockford and Winnebago County, IL, C. A. Church. Chicago: Clarke Publishing Company, 1905, p 436
Among the men who have contributed to the industrial development of Rockford in days past, Robert ANDREW was prominent. He became a resident of this city in 1868, and for some years was engaged in the floor and feed business here. He was among he worthy residents that Scotland furnished to Rockford, his birth having occurred in the land of hills and heather in Feb 1830. His parents, Mr. and Mrs. David ANDREW, were also natives of Scotland, and with their children they came to America. One of their sons is now living in Rockford, John J. ANDREW, who is now representing his district in the state legislature and is one of the prominent and influential citizens of Winnebago County now living retired from business cares. When the family came to America they settled first in MI, and afterward removed to Guilford Township, Winnebago County [IL], the father purchasing a farm on section 1, where his son is now living. There he engaged in tilling the soil throughout his remaining days, being one of the enterprising and practical agriculturists of his community.
Robert ANDREW was a public school student in Guilford Township, and when not busy with his textbooks he assisted his father in the work of the farm. On leaving home he came to Rockford, where he also attended school, thus acquiring a good education. He entered upon his business career in New Milford [Iroquois County], IL, where he secured a position in the flouring mill. He learned the trade of milling and was employed in that mill for several years. He afterward went to Beloit [Rock County], WI, where he followed the milling business for several years, and in 1868 he came to Rockford. Here he opened a flour and feed store on East State Street, conducting the business for a few years, after which he rented a mill near the waterworks and operated it for some time. He afterward rented another flouring mill, and continued in that line of business until he was taken ill, when he retired from active business cares. In connection with the industrial and commercial life here he was well known, and he accomplished all that he undertook by reason of his perseverance, strong determination, and unfaltering energies.
Mr. ANDREW was married in Rockford to Miss Caroline A. EVANS, a native of Waterloo [Seneca County], NY, born in Aug 1838, and a daughter of Ozias and Mary EVANS. Her father settled in New Milford, and later removed to Byron, Ogle County, IL, where both he and his wife died. There were five children born of the marriage of Mr. and Mrs. ANDREW: Adella L., who has for some time been a teacher in the Freeman school of Rockford and resides with her mother; Merton Elwood, who died at the age of 18 months; Robert M., a painter who resides with his mother; Carrie M., the wife of J. F. DUNCAN, a farmer residing in Shirland Township, this county; and Ada, who died at the age of two years.
The death of the husband and father occurred 15 Dec 1901. He was never an office seeker, nor did he take much interest in politics. He preferred to center his energies upon his business affairs and the enjoyment of home life. He held friendship inviolable, and to his family he was a devoted husband and father, putting forth his best efforts to secure a good living for his wife and children, and to promote their happiness and welfare in every way possible. Mrs. ANDREW and her daughter are members of the Centennial Methodist Episcopal church of Rockford, and she owns a nice home at No. 921 First Avenue, where she is living with her son and daughter. [See also the Winnebago County IL biography of John J. ANDREW.]
Submitted by Cathy Kubly.