J.A. Paddock, physician and surgeon, was born in Bureau County, Ill,, where he read medicine. In 1874, went to New York City, and entered Bellevue Hospital Medical College, from which institution he graduated in 1874, coming to Nebraska the same year, and locating at Wilber. He commenced the practice of medicine. Was married to Miss M. H. Stull, of Wilber, in 1879. Is a member of Blue Valley Lodge, No. 64. A., F. & A. M. Was elected Coroner of Saline County, in 1875, and has since been twice re-elected. Is at present one of the Commissioners of Insanity, and also United States Pension Examiner for Saline County. Mr. Paddock, although a young man, is one of the best read physicians in Saline County.
Source: Andreas' History
Of Nebraska, Saline Co., Wilber
Farmer, Sec. 4; P. O. St. Mary's; born August 3, 1838, in Hart county, Virginia; his parents removed to Warren county Illinois, while he was quite young, and in that county he was raised to be a farmer, but, like a host of other brave and true men, he enlisted at his country's call; October 10, 1861, he was enrolled in Co. F, 66th Illinois sharp-shooters (Berges' sharp-shooters), remaining with that regiment until the close of the war, participating in the following battles: Fort Donelson, Corinth, Iuka, Kenesaw Mountain, Alatoona, Bentonsville, and ten others - seven battles - besides many skirmishes while "Marching through Georgia".
Returning home, he engaged in farming; in October, 1866, he was married to Miss Sarah A. Short, of Bureau county, Illinois, a native of Indiana; they have four children: Howard, Everett, Courtney and Elizabeth.
Mr. Parish came to this county in 1866, improving a farm of 130 acres; he has been honored with several township offices and is highly respected.
Source: History of Warren
County, Iowa, Des Moines: Union Historical Company, 1879
Among the honored pioneers
of Poweshiek County none have taken a more prominent part than our
subject in advancing her best interests. For nearly twenty
years he has been a resident of Malcom Township, making his home
on section 13, and though he has passed his eightieth year he is
still active, his mind being as acute and clear as informer years.
He was born at Ludlow, near Springfield, Mass., September 12, 1812, his
parents being Benjamin and Betsey (Shepherd) Parsons, the former also a
native of Massachusetts. He was a soldier in the War of 1812, and
was killed while in the service of the United States. The family
is doubtless of English descent, and has ever taken a leading
part in our country's history and progress. Our subject's mother was born at Middletown, Conn., and was a daughter of a sea-captain, who was at one time captured with his whole crew, ship and cargo in a foreign city, but was fortunate in making friends with the ruler, who allowed him to depart in peace.
When Henry Parsons was about twelve years of age he commenced working in a cotton factory, where he continued for about ten years, beginning at $1.50 per week, from which amount he paid his board. He became an expert workman, and toward the end of his engagement earned good wages. About 1835 he commenced keeping a livery stable at Jenksville, Mass., which occupation he followed in the various points of Springfield, Belchertown, Palmer and Thorndyke until 1861, carrying on stables in several towns at once. In 1861 Mr. Parsons sold out his interests in the East, and going to the vicinity of Princeton, Ill., engaged in farming for about twelve years, at the same time keeping a livery at Wyanet and Princeton.
The year 1873 witnessed
his arrival in Iowa, where he located in Marion County, and engaged
in farming for a short time. The following year he purchased
his present farm in Malcom Township, Poweshiek County, where
he still resides. During his whole life he has been much interested
in horses, and has in his possession a diploma which he received at the
first national exhibition of thoroughbred American horses, which was
held at Springfield, Mass., in 1853. He is said to have owned more
fine horses at one time than any other man in America, and was engaged
in shipping horses to all parts of the country. Among several
noted horses belonging to him was "Buck," with a
2:30 record, at a time when there were less than half a dozen horses making that time, and "Cayuga Maid," also quite famous.
On April 29, 1833, Henry H. Parsons and Louisa Kingsbury, a native of Springfield, Mass., were united in marriage. Her paternal grandfather kept an hotel in Boston. They have had a family of five children: Jane C., now Mrs. Hills, of Malcom Township; Charles H.; Emma E., Mrs. Merrick, of Chicago; and Delphina, who became the wife of T. C. Carroll, and makes her home in Montezuma. One child, Isabella, died in infancy. Notwithstanding their advanced years the father and mother are still active and industrious, and bid fair to live for many years to come. They have two living grandchildren and one great-grandchild. Mr. Parsons takes a just pride in the fact that though he has been a horseman all his life, he has never used tobacco in any form.
We will now take up the
history of Charles H. Parsons, son of our subject, who has lived
nearly his entire life with his parents, and is at present in partnership
with our subject. He was born in Jenksville, Mass., September
27, 1836. He received a good education, graduating in 1856
from the Williston Seminary at Easthampton, Mass., and later from
Hadley Seminary. In 1860, leaving home, he went to Wyanet, Ill.,
where he was joined by his parents the following year. On August
10, 1862, he became a member of Company C, Ninety-third Illinois
Infantry, and served under Gen. Grant in the beginning of the Vicksburg
campaign, where he was taken sick, and was sent to the hospitals
at Oxford and Holly Springs, Miss. He received an honorable discharge
March 5, 1863, at Keokuk, Iowa. The following
year he worked as a brakeman and fireman of the Chicago, Burlington & Quincy Railroad, and in 1869 became a resident of Marion County, Iowa.
In October, 1874, Charles
Parsons came with his parents to Malcom Township, where he now owns
two hundred and forty acres of the best farm land in Poweshiek County.
He has improved the same by enlarging the farm buildings and constructing
fences. His farm is under a high state of cultivation, and
he is considered one of the most intelligent agriculturists in the
county. He has taken special pride in raising fine blooded
horses, and lately has made a specialty of breeding thoroughbred
Jersey cattle and supplying the Chicago market with unequaled creamery
butter. His herd of Jersey cattle comprises about one hundred
head, which are nearly all thoroughbreds, and which is considered
of the best herds in the State.
On the 25th of July, 1861, was celebrated the marriage of Charles Parsons and Eliza A., daughter of J. K. Barry, of Wyanet, Ill. On October 1, 1863, the young wife was called to her final rest, leaving one child, Scott B., who also departed this life, March 1, 1881. Mrs. Parsons was a truly lovable and amiable lady, one who numbered a host of friends, who esteemed her highly for her sweet womanhood. In politics, Mr. Parsons is a Republican, has served as Township Trustee, and has filled other local offices acceptably. He is a member of the Farmers' Alliance, of the Grand Army of the Republic, the Ancient Free & Accepted Masons and of the Knights of Pythias.
Source: Portrait and Biographical
Record of Johnson, Poweshiek and Iowa counties, IA; Chicago: Chapman Bros.,
Samuel B. Passmore was born in West Nottingham Township, Chester County, Pennsylvania, December 13, 1827, son of John W. Passmore, a native of the same county. His grandfather and his great-grandfather, Ellis and George Passmore, were also natives of Pennsylvania. The first Passmore who landed in this country was a Friend, came here with William Penn and settled in Pennsylvania. All his descendants down to the present generation have belonged to the Society of Friends. The wife of John W. and the mother of Samuel B. Passmore was nee Deborah Brown, a native of Chester County, Pennsylvania. She, is a daughter of Samuel and Elizabeth (Brown) Brown also natives of the keystone State. John W. and Deborah Passmore reared four children, as follows: Ellis P., a resident of Rising Sun, Cecil County, Maryland; Samuel B., whose name heads this article; Elizabeth Ruth, widow of Eliphaz Cheyney, Westchester, Pennsylvania, and Colonel John Andrew Moore Passmore, No. 318 South Forty-second street, Philadelphia, a prominent resident of that place. He was an officer in the late war, and is now manager at Philadelphia for D. Appleton & Co. John W. Passmore died in June, 1848, at the age of forty-six years. His relict has been for forty-four years a widow. She is now ninety years of age and resides with her son Ellis in Cecil County, Maryland. When she made a visit to her son in Iowa, in 1881, she was in good health and quite active.
Samuel B. Passmore was reared on his father's farm
in Chester County, Pennsylvania, and received his education
in the public schools. March 28, 1850, he wedded Miss Hannah M. Jackson, a native of that County. Her parents,
Joshua and Sarah (Cook) Jackson, were also born in Chester County, Pennsylvania. Mr. Passmore and his wife
remained in their native county until May 22, 1855, when they moved to Bureau County, Illinois. There he rented land
and lived until 1870, when he came to Wright Township, Pottawattamie County, Iowa, and bought 160 acres of land;
this was all wild prairie land. He also bought ten acres of timber, situated three miles from his farm. He was among
the early settlers of this part of the country, and at that time deer were frequently seen on his premises or in view of
his dwelling. He has since developed his farm and it is now under a good state of cultivation. Maple Grove, as he is
pleased to call it, is considered one of the finest farms in Wright Township. Mr. Passmore erected a comfortable
one-and-a-half-story house, which, surrounded with beautiful evergreens and shrubs, makes an attractive home. In
1874 he purchased 160 acres of prairie land which adjoined his farm, making 320 acres in one body. He has an
artificial grove of thirteen acres and an orchard comprising three acres. His barn is 44 x 46 feet, with eighteen feet
posts, and a rock foundation. His farm is divided into five fields for pasture, meadow and grain; and among other
improvements made by Mr. Passmore are two windmills and 1,600 rods of osage-orange and 200 rods of willow
hedge. He has some fine specimens of stock, both cattle and hogs. Maple Grove is, indeed, a beautiful home, and
one of which the owner should be justly proud.
Mr. Passmore and his wife have ten children, viz.:
Amor C., of Aurora, Buchanan County, Iowa; Ella Deborah, wife of
A. J. Lipp, Wright Township; Orlando C. resides near Linden, Dallas County, Iowa; Ida A., wife of J. C. Morris,
Guthrie County, Iowa; Ellwood Lovejoy, at home; Anna Mary, wife of H. Nolta, Dexter, Dallas County, Iowa; Ellis P., in
the nursery business at Cloverdale, California; Willie T., Dallas County, Iowa; Emma L., wife of N. G. Brown, Cass
County, Iowa; and Lincoln G., at home.
Like his worthy ancestors, Mr. Passmore is a Quaker.
He, however, attends the Methodist Episcopal Church of
Whipple; has been a trustee for several years and is a liberal supporter of that church. He is one of the leading
Republicans of his township, and is chairman of the Republican Central Committee. He was formerly a Free Soiler,
and was one of the three in his township who voted that ticket in 1852, the township casting 200 votes. He has served
in most of the township offices, is at present Township Trustee, and has always used his influence for the best
interests of the community.
Mr. Passmore is past sixty, but bears his age lightly.
He is frank and cordial in his manner, with a vein of humor in
his makeup, and he is highly esteemed by all who know him. His family are refined and cultured, and are ranked with
the best society of the community.
Source: Biographical History
of Pottawattamie County, Iowa, Lewis Publishing Company, 1891
J. P. Perry is one of the early settlers of Shelby County, coming here in 1874. He was born in Belmont County, Ohio, September 10, 1841; he is a son of Jesse and Malinda (Poole) Perry. Jesse Perry is a relative of the old Commodore Perry, and a native of Ohio; his wife was born in Virginia.
J. P. Perry was the fifth of eight children, four of whom were sons and four daughters. When he was thirteen years of age his father remove to Bureau County, Illinois, then a wild, new country; his parents lived here until their death. He was reared on a farm and educated in the public schools. During the late war he went to the defense of the flag; he enlisted at the first call for troops, April 24, 1861, in the Twelfth Illinois Infantry, Company I; he served over three months and was honorably discharged, and returned home. At the call for 300,000 more men, he again responded, enlisting June 1, 1862, in the Sixty-fifth Illinois Infantry, Company E; he was taken prisoner at Harper's Ferry, Virginia, September 15, 1862; was paroled, and went to Camp Douglas, Chicago, Illinois, and was exchanged January 19, 1863; in April, 1863, he was sent to the front, and took an active part at Concord, London Bridge, the siege of Knoxville, Tennessee; with Sherman of the march to Atlanta; returned with General Thomas to Columbia, Tennessee; Franklin, Tennessee; Nashville, Tennessee; Fort Fisher, North Carolina; Fort Andersen, North Carolina; Cape Fear River, Wilmington. He was honorably discharged June 8, 1865, and returned to Bureau County, Illinois; he was discharged as Corporal.
September 5, 1866, he was married to Miss Mary Chaddock, a lady of intelligence, born in Jefferson County Ohio; she is a daughter of Richard and Eliza (Nickelson) Chaddock; the father is a native of Maryland, and the mother, of Ohio. Her family came to Bureau County in 1864.
Mr. Perry lived in Bureau County until 1873, when he came to Mahaska County, Iowa; in 1874 he came to Shelby County, and settled on wild prairie land; he now owns 320 acres of land in a body, and has one of the best improved farms in the county; he has a good frame house, and barns for stock and grain; he farms extensively, making a specialty of Jersey Red swine, of which he has some specimens as fine as can be found in the west.
Mr. and Mrs. Perry have three children - William
Grant, Jesse Harmon and Mabel. Mr. Perry is a Republican; he is
a member of the Anti-horse-thief Association, No. 35, and is secretary of the same. He is yet in the prime of life; he is social and genial in his disposition, an intelligent conversationalist, honest in business, and one of Shelby county's solid men.
Source: Biographical History of Shelby and Audubon
Counties, Iowa Chicago, W.S. Dunbar & Co., 1889.
William W. Pierce, Bureau, was born in Plainfield, Sullivan Co., N. H., August 6, 1828. He is the son of Job and Rebecca (Alexander) Pierce, also natives of New Hampshire, whre they spent their lives. The mother died when our subject was but five years old; the father died in November, 1861.
W. W. Pierce spent his early life on a farm, and then learned the shoe maker's trade, which he followed until 1856, when he came to Bureau County, arriving here February 14. For two winters he worked at his trade in Princeton, and in 1857 engaged in farming for himself, and has since given his attention entirely to that business.
November 2, 1862, he came to his present farm, which now contains 270 acres, in Bureau Township. When Mr. Pierce came to this county he had but 75 cents, and his success in life he owes to the energy and united efforts of himself and wife.
He was married October
1, 1857, to Sarah Lucretia Stiles, sister of Alvah Stiles. (See sketch.)
Mrs. Pierce was born November 30, 1834, in Logan County, Ohio. She is the
mother of six children, viz.: Henry Sumner, born March 11, 1861, married
to Nancy Carl; Franklin H., born August 29, 1863; Asa, born March 15, 1866;
Luther M., born June 11, 1868;
Clara M., born June 13, 1871; Sarah L., born July 9, 1858, died November 20, 1861.
In politics Mr. Pierce is an active Democrat. He and wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
Source: History of Bureau
County, Illinois, H. C. Bradsby, Editor. World Publishing Company Chicago
Deceased. Section--, P.O. Malcom. The subject of this sketch was born in Medina county, Ohio, October 26, 1824; was there raised and educated and remained until the age of twenty-five years, when he came to Bureau county, Illinois, and engaged in agricultural pursuits, where he remained until 1875, when he came to Poweshiek county.
He was married, in 1855, to Miss T. Spake, of Ohio, a lady of refined tastes and domestic habits. By this union they have had four children: Emma J., Elmer J., Parker P. and Henry C.
Mr. Pimlott died suddenly September 18, 1880. His demise is mourned by a large circle of relatives and friends. His estate consists of 240 acres of choice land. It is now conducted by his sons, Parker P. and Henry C. They have, since his death, in company with their brother Elmer J. and Mr. R. T. Headley, their brother-in-law, purchased 490 acres, one-half of which is in Pleasant township and the balance in Scott township. They are numbered among the successful and enterprising young men of the county.
Source: History of Poweshiek County, Iowa, Des Moines: Union Historical Co., 1880 Malcom Twp p 871.
Farmer and stock-raiser,
section 4, P.O. Malcom. Was born in Mecklenburg, Germany, September 27,
1848, where he was raised and educated. His father (Fred) followed various
pursuits in that country. Our subject came to this country in 1866, locating
at Princeton, Bureau county, Illinois, where he resided one year, and then
came to this county, where he
has since resided.
He was married, March 4, 1876, to Miss Mina Schultz, of Malcom township, by whom he has two children: Fred and Josie. Mr. Pulsí farm consists of 160 acres of choice land, comparatively well stocked. He came to this county with limited means, but is now considered among its solid farmers. Himself and family are members of the Lutheran Church of Malcom township.
Source: History of Poweshiek County, Iowa, Des
Moines: Union Historical Co., 1880 Malcom Twp p