ASIL B. REDMAN has been a prominent
figure among the farmers and stock-growers
of Ashmore Township since the spring of
1859. He then located upon an uncultivated
tract of land where is now his valuable farm of 160
acres, which he has brought to a fine state of cultivation. He deals largely in high-grade Short-horn
cattle and Norman horses. He has a handsome
residence and other buildings, and is in all respects
one of the representative men of an intelligent
community. The farm is located on section 33, in
the southern part of the township, and from its location and natural surroundings is one of the most
desirable in that section. |
Mr. Redman is a native of the Prairie State, and
first drew breath in Edgar County, Jan. 12, 1832.
He is the son of Joseph and Lucy (Bennett) Redman, the former a native of Virginia and the latter
of Kentucky. Joseph Redman was born about 1785,
and came to Illinois in 1831. He lookup his abode
in Edgar County, followed farming, and became a
man highly respected among his fellow-citizens.
He was a member of the Old Baptist Church, and was
noted for his integrity and kindly Christian charcter. He served as School Trustee during the
establishment of the first school in the county, and
in all his dealings bore the reputation of an honest
and straightforward citizen. He died in 1850, upou
the homestead which he had built up in Edgar
County. The mother survived her husband about
four years, and was sixty years of age at the time
of her death. She was a lady in every respect fitted to be the companion of her husband, and was a
member of the same church. Their children were
John, Vincent, Amanda; Solomon, now deceased;
Harrison, Warder, Hilton, Eli, Lucy, Lancaster;
Basil B., of our sketch; Mary, Emily and Joseph.
Our subject was reared on the farm in Edgar
County, attended the district schools during his
childhood and youth, and early in life made himself
useful around the homestead. After passing his
twenty-third birthday he married Miss Eliza J.
Kester, the wedding taking place at the home of
the bride’s parents in Edgar County, Ill., in October, 1858. This lady died after becoming the
mother of one child, Orson, who after reaching
manhood was married to Miss Mary Corty, and is
now fanning in Edgar County.
Mr. Redman was the second time united in marriage, to Miss Matilda Cornwell, the ceremony taking place at the home of the bride, Nov. 8, 1859,
Rev. P. K. Honn, of the Christian Church, officiating. Mrs. Redman, a native of Kentucky, was
born May 11, 1837, and is the daughter of Hiram
and Lucy (Toler) Cornwell, the former a native of
Kentucky and the latter of Virginia. Hiram Cornwell was born in January, 1812, and his wife in
1820. He has followed farming all his life, and
both parents are living, making their home in Ashmore Township. They are worthy members of
society, and belong to the Christian Church. Their
ten children were Ann, Mary, James, Bennett,
Susan, George, Lucy, William, Dora and Missouri.
Mr. and Mrs, Redman after their marriage, located
on their present farm, which was then but a tract
of uncultivated prairie. The wife has labored
equally with her husband to build up the attractive
homestead which now greets the eye of the passerby, and where their children were born. Their
eldest daughter, Annie, born in 1860, is now
a resident of Ashmore Township; Emma, born
July 31, 1861, was taken from the household circle
by death on the 17th of April, 1876, when an interesting young girl fifteen years of age; Olive,
born in 1862, died Aug. 7, 1877; Willie, born Sept.
27, 1866, married Miss Laura N. Zink, and is farming in Ashmore Township; Alva, born Oct. 9, 1869, is still a member of the parental household.