Click here to RETURN to the Cook Cnty ILGenWeb USGenWeb HOME page

Cook County ILGenWeb Genealogy User Submitted Data



                                        EDWIN DRURY
                                         Biography
                                    Cook County, Illinois

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Information contributed for use in Cook County ILGenWeb by
        Sherri Hessick, added May 2001.



Source: Album of Genealogy and Biography, Cook County, Illinois with
Portraits 3rd ed. revised and extended (Chicago: Calumet Book & Engraving
Co., 1895), pp. 143-146



EDWIN DRURY, an honored veteran of the great Civil War,
residing at Wilmette, is an offspring of some of the oldest
and most patriotic families in America.  His parents were
George Albert Drury and Mary Elizabeth Heald.  On his
father's side his lineage is traced through eight
generations of American yeomanry, and he represents the
ninth generation of his mother's family in America.
The name Drury is derived from a town so called in Normandy,
from which the founder of the family in England came with
William the Conqueror, and was one of his aides at the
battle of Hastings, in the year 1066.  He settled at
Thurston, in the county of Suffolk, and from him have sprung
nearly all the people of that name in England and America.
The name–taken from the Sanskrit “dhru,” to be steadfast;
the root of the Anglo-Saxon “treow,” true; the Latin “dru,”
loyal; “druerie,” feudal truth–signifies sobriety, modesty,
and, in the Saxon language, a pearl.

The first representative of the family in this country was
Hugh Drury, who is supposed to have sailed form England in
the “Abigail,” at nineteen years of age, under the name of
George Drewrie, in company with the colony of Governor John
Winthrop, junior, which settled at the mouth of the
Connecticut River in 1635.  Hugh Drury had a grant of land
in Sudbury, Massachusetts, in 1640-41, and removed to
Boston, where he died in 1689.  He was a member of the
Ancient and Honorable Artillery Company of Boston in 1659,
and afterward its Lieutenant.  His son John served as a
Lieutenant of Massachusetts troops in King Philip’s Indian
War.  Thomas, the son of John Drury, became a prominent
farmer of Framingham, Massachusetts, and was a captain of
militia.  He also took an active interest in civil and
religious affairs, and was a schoolmaster and conveyancer.

His son Caleb lived and died in Framingham, where he reared
a large family of children.  Caleb Drury’s son Zedekiah was
a blacksmith at Bedford, Massachusetts, and afterward moved
to Dunstable, in the same state.  Upon the alteration of the
boundary line between the two colonies, his home became a
part of Hollis, New Hampshire.  He subsequently moved to
Temple, New Hampshire, and was captain of a company of
minute-men.  He was among the party which marched “part of
ye way” from Temple to Cambridge, on the alarm of April 19,
1775, being then fifty-nine years of age.  He and all his
family were ardent supporters of the patriot cause.  His
son, Ebenezer Drury, served three years as a private soldier
in the Third New Hampshire Line of Continental troops, and
also marched with the company from Temple, on the alarm of
the 19th of April, 1775.  About 1790 Ebenezer Drury moved to
Litchfield, Herkimer County, New York, where he was a
leading man of affairs.  Jonathan Drury, son of the
last-mentioned, was a manufacturer of old-fashioned wooden
clocks, some of which are still keeping time at Litchfield.

He enlisted in the War of 1812 as a teamster, and went to
Sacket’s Harbor.  In 1816 he moved to Genesee County, New
York, and fifteen years later to Lorain County, Ohio.  In
1850 he came to Lake County, Illinois, where he and his
wife, Sophia (Cole) Drury, spent the remainder of their
lives with their son, George Albert Drury.

Said George Albert Drury, father of the subject of this
notice, was born at Litchfield, Herkimer County, New York,
May 22, 1813, and died at Avon Center, Lake County,
Illinois, July 12, 1871.  He came to Lake County in 1836,
before the days of railroads, making the journey on foot
from Lorain County, Ohio.  He lived for some years in a log
cabin on section 30, in the town of Warren, with his
cousins, Leonard and George Gage.  He pre-empted the
southwest quarter of said section 30 from the Government,
built a log house, and married, settling on that place,
where he lived until 1865.  He then went to Rochester,
Minnesota, for a short time with an invalid daughter, to try
the effect of the climate on her health.  His daughter dying
there, he went to Ironton, Ohio, and engaged in the jewelry
business with a brother.  At the end of two years he sold
out the jewelry business, and went to McHenry, Illinois, and
embarked in the furniture business.  His wife died at
McHenry, February 1, 1871.  From that time his own health,
never very good at the best, began to fail him.  He went to
his brother Benjamin’s at Avon Center, Lake County,
Illinois, for rest and recuperation, was taken worse, and
died there, as already stated.  George Albert Drury was an
influential, public-spirited citizen, and was at different
times elected to the office of Supervisor and other offices
of trust in the town of Warren.

An incident may here be given to illustrate those early days
in Illinois.  The country was overrun with wolves.  They
became so bold at night as to lap swill from pails standing
outside the doorway.  One evening, as all were seated in
their log cabin, they heard a lapping of swill on the
outside, and, supposing it to be occasioned by a wolf,
George Gage said to the father of the subject of this
sketch:  “George, just open the door a little way, and I
will shoot it with my rifle.”  The door was opened and the
animal shot.  Taking their lantern for inspection, they
found that an Indian dog had been killed instead of a wolf.
Fresh snow had fallen on the ground, and the camp of the
Pottawattamies was less than two miles distant.  Knowing
that the Indians fairly worshiped their dogs and would be
apt to make serious trouble if it was found that one had
been killed on their premises, prompt action was taken to
remove all vestige of the tragedy.  The cabin stood on the
edge of the timber, about twenty rods from a small lake, on
the banks of which a stable for their horses had been built.
The snow, the chips and everything showing traces of the
bloody deed were carefully gathered together and buried
under the horses in this stable.  The next morning the three
men took their axes and went into the woods to work.

Leonard Gage was married.  His wife, with their little son
about one year old, was to be left at home all alone.
Thinking that the Indian whose dog had been shot would be
certain to track him, instructions were given to Mrs. Gage
to be sure and insist that the animal in dispute was a wolf
instead of a dog.  True enough, along about ten o’clock in
the forenoon, the old Indian opened the door without
rapping, as is their custom, and walked into the cabin.
Proceeding at once to the subject, he said: “De hound, de
hound, bow, bow, wow?”  Bravely controlling her fear, Mrs.
Gage replied:  “No, the wolf, the wolf.”  Repeating his
question a number of times without satisfactory results, the
old Indian finally went out doors and commenced circling
round the cabin, increasing the size of the circle until he
had gone around three or four times, when he finally went
off shaking his head; it was beyond his comprehension.

Mary Elizabeth Heald, the mother of Edwin Drury, was born in
Furnace Hollow, near Litchfield, Herkimer County, New York,
September 8, 1815.  She was a daughter of Daniel Heald, who
operated an iron foundry at that place.  He was born in
Acton, Massachusetts, and was a mason by trade.  In 1838 he
came West and settled on the southwesterly side of Gage’s
Lake, Lake County, Illinois, where his wife died.  He then
located at Waukegan, Illinois, where he erected many of the
first brick buildings.  His death occurred in Chicago,
November 16, 1846, at the age of sixty-five years.  His
wife, Persis (Howard) Heald, was a daughter of Jeremiah
Howard and Zilpha (Lombard) Howard, of Western (now Warren),
Worcester County, Massachusetts.  Mrs. Persis (Howard) Heald
died in Lake County, Illinois, September 26, 1842, aged
fifty-nine years.

John Heald, the first American ancestor of that family,
settled at Concord, Massachusetts, where he was made a
Freeman in 1641.  In the line of descent traced to Daniel
Heald, the first five generations in America bore the
Christian name of John.  The last of these, Lieut. John
Heald, took part in the Concord bridge fight, April 19,
1775.  His son Ebenezer, the father of Daniel Heald, was
also in the Continental army.

Edwin Drury was born in the town of Warren, Lake County,
Illinois, November 12, 1842.  His boyhood was passed upon
the homestead farm, and his education was confined to that
of the ordinary district school.  On the 9th of August,
1862, he enlisted in Company G, Ninety-sixth Regiment of
Illinois Volunteer Infantry, serving until the 10th of June,
1865, when he was honorably discharged at Camp Harker, near
Nashville, Tennessee, because of the close of the war.  His
regiment was first attached to the Second Brigade of the
Third Division of the Army of Kentucky, afterwards called
the Reserve Corps, under Gen. Gordon Granger.  After the
battle of Chickamauga there was a re-organization of the
army in and around Chattanooga, Tennessee, and until the
close of the war his regiment was attached to the Second
Brigade of the First Division of the Fourth Army Corps,
under Gen. Gordon Granger, successively relieved by Gens. O.
O. Howard, D. S. Stanley and T. J. Wood.  Whilst with his
regiment, Edwin Drury was a participator in the following
events and engagements, namely: Defense of Cincinnati, Ohio;
Second Fort Donelson; Spring Hill; Triune; Liberty Gap and
Shelbyville, Tennessee; Buzzard’s Roost; Rocky-face Ridge;
Dalton; Resaca; Kingston; Pumpkin Vine Creek; New Hope
Church; and in front of Dallas, Georgia.  In June, 1864, he
became unfitted for active duty in the field, and while
absent from his regiment was acting Hospital Steward at
Dalton, Georgia, for some months, rejoining his regiment at
Huntsville, Alabama, in February, 1865.  He received no
serious wounds, though often exposed to the rain of shot and
shell.  While he was in charge of the hospital at Dalton, it
was captured by Wheeler’s rebel cavalry, and he, together
with others who were able, went to the rudely constructed
fort there for protection. At a later date, the night of
October 13, 1864, when a portion of the rebel general Hood’s
forces were in possession of Dalton, he was virtually a
prisoner of war.  All who were able expected to be sent to
rebel prisons.  The rebels did not disturb them, however,
probably owing to the fact that their wounded, who had
fallen into Union hands at the time of Wheeler’s attack, and
who were interspersed with the Union inmates in the two
hospitals made it necessary to take care of them all, had
testified to the uniform kindness and care with which they
had been treated.  Mr. Drury was a member of the Historical
Society of his regiment, and helped to compile a history of
the same, which was published in 1887.

After the war he located in Chicago, Illinois, and was
appointed a deputy in the office of his uncle, Alexander
Hamilton Heald, who had been elected city Collector.  He
continued as a deputy under William J. Onahan, who succeeded
Mr. Heald, and was afterward employed in the South Chicago
Town Collector’s office, under Henry Spear.  He subsequently
spent a year or two in the County Treasurer’s office, under
Heber S. Rexford and Julian S. Rumsey.  Just before the
great fire he was appointed Deputy County Clerk of Cook
County, Illinois, by John G. Gindele, and continued his
connection with that office during the incumbency of George
W. Wheeler, Joseph Pollak and Gen. Hermann Lieb, being Chief
Deputy for the two last named.  In June, 1875, during
General Lieb’s term, Mr. Drury resigned his position and
entered into a partnership with John Carne, junior, to
conduct a tax-abstract and general real-estate business.  In
November, 1886, said partnership was dissolved and the
present firm of Drury Brothers formed, his brother, Horace
Greeley Drury, becoming the junior member.  They give most
of their attention to Wilmette property, maintaining offices
both in that village and Chicago.  A large portion of the
development of the former place is due to their
instrumentality.

On the 19th of April, 1871, Mr. Drury was married to Hannah
Augusta Howard, born December 25, 1849, daughter of William
Curtis Howard and Hannah (Roberts, formerly spelled Roburds)
Howard, of the town of Grant, Lake County, Illinois.  Their
only surviving child is a daughter, named Gertrude, who was
born March 20, 1875.  Mr. Drury is a member of George H.
Thomas Post No. 5, Department of Illinois, Grand Army of the
Republic, and also of the Illinois Society of the Sons of
the American Revolution.  He was the first Regent of
Ouilmette Council Number 1107, of the Royal Arcanum.  He has
resided at Wilmette since 1874, and has served several times
as Trustee of said village, and is the present Secretary of
its Board of Education, and is also its present Village
Collector.  Following the example of his father, he has been
a life-long Republican, and is a gentleman of pleasing
address and marked literary tastes.  He has spent
considerable time in historical research, and has succeeded
in rescuing from oblivion a very complete genealogy of the
Drurys of England and America, and the Healds of America.
		
		



-------------------------------------------------------------------------
COPYRIGHT NOTICE: These electronic pages may NOT be reproduced in any
format for profit or presentation by other organization or persons.
Persons or organizations desiring to use this material, must obtain
the written consent of the submitter or their legal representative,
and must contact the listed Cook County ILGenWeb Coordinator(s)
with proof of this consent.
------------------------------------------------------------------------


Click Here for Photo of EDWIN DRURY






Contact the Cook County ILGenWeb County Coordinators for written permissions.

Click here to return to the Research & Links page OR use your {BACK} icon on your browser...

Click here to return to the User Submitted Data page OR use your {BACK} icon on your browser...



This USGenWeb site is generously
Hosted by RootsWeb
Hosted by RootsWeb
© 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001
by the Cook County ILGenWeb County Coordinators.   All rights reserved.
This PAGE was last updated: 12 May 2001 by the Cook County ILGenWeb County Coordinators.