Search billions of records on

Obituaries and Death Notices

Cairo City Weekly Gazette

9 Jan 1862-25 Dec 1862


Cairo, Alexander County, Illinois

Transcribed by Darrel Dexter

 Thursday, 9 Jan 1862

Michael Fitzgerald of Cairo was kicked in the head by a horse passing in cavalry procession Friday and died Sunday. 


Thursday, 6 Feb 1862

Died in this city on Friday evening, the 31st ult., at 7 o’clock P.M. of pulmonary consumption, Mrs. Julia Jane Safford, wife of A.B. Safford, Esq., of the City Bank.

            She was born in Watertown, N.Y., on the 8th of February, 1830, and hence lacked but one week of being 32 years of age at the time of her death.  Six years ago last April she became the wife of Mr. Safford, and removed West; and through most of this time, it has been manifest to all who knew her that she was a marked victim of consumption—“the dreadful malady which knows no cure.”

            Mrs. Safford’s death will create a large vacuum in society, and awaken profound sensation wherever known.  To an organization most delicate, and temper most engaging, she added the refinements of education and moral accomplishment, in a degree rarely met with.  With a heart ever sensitive to the appeals of sorrow and suffering, she was extensively known by her works of Christian sympathy and active benevolence. Unlike too many benevolent persons, however, her heartiest sympathies were at home, and above all, she excelled as the devoted wife and loving sister.

            Her deeply afflicted husband and sisters will deplore her untimely end and our whole community will freely mingle its sorrow with theirs, but they sorrow not as those that have no hope.

            “Then let our mournful tears be dry,

                        Or in a gentle measure flow;

            We hail her happy in the sky,

                        And joyful, wait our call to go.”

            She was buried at Blue Island, near Chicago, on Tuesday; that being the burial place of some members of Mr. Safford’s family. 


Thursday, 13 Feb 1862

Albert W. Adams, adjutant of the 18th Regiment Illinois Volunteers, died in the hospital of his Regiment, in this city, yesterday morning.  By an upright, frank and courteous course of conduct, Adjutant Adams had endeared himself to his Regiment, as well as to all others who knew him.  No one spoke ill of him either as an officer, a Christian, or a man.  All will feel bowed down with a load of grief at his untimely exit.  The disease which terminated his existence was contracted during the late reconnaissance in Kentucky.


Thursday, 27 Feb 1862

Sgt. Charles A. Bedard of Co. H, 11th was killed at Fort Donelson.  He was a brother of Frank Bedard of St. Charles Hotel.


Lizzie Sanders, the wife of Add H. Sanders of Cairo, died.  Within a few years he had to bury a wife and five children.



Thursday, 13 Mar 1862

Died 11 Mar 1862, Mrs. Virginia Rearden, wife of George W. Rearden, aged 26 years.  She left a husband and children.


William B. Fondey died 20 Feb 1862, at his residence in Springfield.


Thursday, 3 Apr 1862

Alonzo Hord, son of Capt. Benjamin T. and Ella Hord, formerly of Evansville, Ind., aged 18 years, died on the steamer Evansville near Cairo on 24 Mar 1862.  The remains were brought to the residence of his mother in Cairo and accompanied to the cemetery by the Rough and Ready Fire Co.


The Killing of James Jobe

About six o’clock on Sunday evening last, James Jobe, proprietor of the International Saloon in this city, was killed by Joseph Higlen, Jr.  The coroner’s inquest held at once by D. Hannon Esq. drew out the following facts:  Between Levi Prosseo, cook at the International, and Higlen, a quarrel had arisen which threatened to lead to blows.  The former had a pistol in his hand and the latter a large knife.  At this juncture, Jobe came down stairs.  Mr. Thomas Porter, connected with the house, took hold of Higlen while pursuing the cook around the billiard table, ordered him to leave the house, and Prosseo to go to the kitchen.  Higlen threatened to use his knife if interfered with further.  Porter released his hold upon him and got out of the way.  Captain Roderick then interfered, threatening to arrest Higlen unless the disturbance ceased.  Higlen threatened to cut him and finally did knock him down.  Mr. Jobe then passed behind the counter, secured a cane or a club, with which he struck Higlen.  The parties then scuffled to the door, through which they passed to the sidewalk where they clinched, Higlen during the time holding the knife in his hand.  A crowd now gathered around, but before any interference was made Jobe fell dead, stabbed to the heart.  He never spoke and scarcely breathed after receiving the fatal stroke.

Higlen, with the bloody knife still in his hand, made at Mr. Thomas Porter, who escaped by running down stairs into the basement.  Menacing other persons who attempted to arrest him, he sought concealment in a building on Commercial avenue, where he was soon after arrested.

Mr. Jobe was esteemed one our most quiet and harmless citizens, and was generally regarded for his scrupulous honesty and his devotion to business.  He leaves a family upon whom his sudden death falls with an almost overpowering weight.  May the touches of time speedily lighten their great load of deep sorrow and heart-crushing anguish.

The prisoner is now closely confined, and will likely have a preliminary examination at once.  We forebear comment for fear that we might in some measure contribute to defeat the ends of justice.

(The 6 Nov 1862, issue of the paper reported that Mr. Higlen was tried and acquitted for killing Mr. Jobe in Cairo.)


Thursday, 10 Apr 1862

The youngest son of Mr. Magill fell from a raft crossing a slough in the upper part of Cairo and drowned Wednesday last week.



Thursday, 24 Apr 1862

At a call meeting of the Rough and Ready Fire Company of the city of Cairo, called for the purpose of making arrangements to pay the last sad tribute of respect to our departed brother Gottleib Dinkleecker, the following resolutions were submitted and accepted:

WHEREAS it has pleased Almighty God to remove from our midst one of our best members and torn from the bosom of his family an affectionate husband and kind father, therefore be it resolved by the officers and members of the Rough and Ready Fire Company No. 3, of the city of Cairo that in the death of our brother member, Gottleib Dinkleecker, this company has suffered an irreparable loss and his wife and children that of an affectionate husband and a kind and indulgent father.

Resolved, That we deeply sympathize with the bereaved family in the loss of one so beloved and dear to them, and would commend them to the kind mercies of Him who tempers the winds to the shorn lamb and is a husband to the widow and a father to the fatherless.

Revolved, That we bury our departed brother with the honors of a fireman as is provided by the Constitution of this Company regulating such cases.

Revolved, That a copy of the foregoing resolutions be sent to the bereaved family and published in the Cairo City Gazette, and spread upon the records of this company.

            Henry Goodyear

            Charles Eble

            Geo. T. Thrift



Thursday, 15 May 1862

The little daughter of George Smith of Cairo, aged 4 years, drowned last Friday in seep water at the residence.


Thursday, 22 May 1862


A provost marshal guard, whose name is Collin S. McLoud, shot dead upon our streets, on Tuesday evening last, a man by the name of Keith, a resident of Cairo and the head of considerable family.  Keith was deeply under the influence of liquor, and was resisting the guard who was attempting to convey him to the guardhouse.  The guard, after struggling with him for sometime, drew his pistol.  Capt. Bradshaw interfered, and came very nearly, it is said, getting the contents of the pistol into his own body.  For the moment the parties were separated.  Keith, it is said, had a knife in his hand.  Be this as it may, he was evidently greatly alarmed at the sight of the pistol, and throwing up his hands cried, “I’ll go, I’ll go, I’ll go!”  At this juncture the guard again approached him, took him and discharged his piece, the ball striking Keith just above the left eye, killing him instantly.  The guard surveyed his work a moment, then turning away passed hurriedly down the street. 

            Lookers on were terribly shocked at the occurrence and would have doubtless inflicted summary punishment upon the guard had he remained at the scene of the tragedy a moment longer. We take it for granted that the matter will be inquired into, but whether by the military or civil authorities we cannot say.

            The jury called by P. Corcoran, coroner, returned the following verdict:

            We the coroner’s jury, being duly sworn to inquire into and by what means the deceased, Jas. Keith, came to his death, do find on investigation and examination of witnesses duly sworn that he came to his death by a pistol shot from out of the hands of one Collin S. McCloud, the same being done unlawfully, maliciously, intentionally, and with malice aforethought did kill the said Keith unnecessarily and uncalled for, and against the remonstrance of bystanders, at the time of shooting and previous to the fatal shot.

            Henry Winter, Foreman; _os. B. Taylor, Henry Yost, _. Whitcamp, _.C. Cully, Peter Neff, W.S. Lane, Jas. Sumerwell, Chas. Thrupp, John Cummings, John O’Callahan, J. Courtway.

            The facts drawn out fully warrant this inclusion.  Keith was killed unnecessarily, because he had ceased his resistance and announced his willingness to accompany the guard to the guardhouse.  The whole matter will be laid before Gen. Halleck and McLoud disposed of as he shall direct.


Thursday, 29 May 1862

Frank C. Manly died 18 May 1862, of dropsy.  He was editor of Mt. Carmel Register


Thursday, 26 Jun 1862

John M. Gunn, aged 42 years, paymaster on the Mound City, died Wednesday.  His body was brought to Cairo Saturday by his son-in-law, Samuel Flagler, and taken to Anna.  He was badly scalded.


Thursday, 24 Jul 1862

Died in Cairo yesterday (23 Jul 1862), Edward Adolph, son of Fredoline and Mary Bross, aged 15 months.


Capt. Ed. Short died 19 Jul 1862, in camp of the 60th Illinois Volunteers near Corinth, Miss.


Thursday, 21 Aug 1862

Robert Howe of St. Louis was killed in an explosion of shells at the marine arsenal in Mound City.


Thursday, 28 Aug 1862

Harry Fletcher died in a Memphis hospital a few days ago after a brief illness.  He was well known in Cairo.


Thursday, 4 Sep 1862

Tribute of Respect

            In the Perry County Circuit Court May 7th 1862:

Proceedings relative to the death of Major Samuel Eaton, late Attorney of this court.

            WHEREAS, It has pleased the inscrutable wisdom of Almighty God to remove from our midst Major Samuel Eaton, formerly a member of the Perry County Bar, who has fallen in the vigor of his manhood, and whilst nobly battling for the maintenance of the Union and Constitution:  Therefore

            Resolved, That we deeply deplore the death of one in whom were combined so signally the qualities of a good citizen, faithful and laborious attorney, true patriot and an honest man.

            Resolved, That while we are unable fully to express our sincere sorrow, yet we feel glad to remember the bravery and valor that marked the close of his career.  That he fell as the brave always wish to fall, in the defense of a good cause, with his face towards the enemy.  That he has left behind him the untarnished reputation of a courageous and good man.

            Resolved, That we tender our warmest sympathies to the wife and family of the honored dead, in their most terrible affliction.

            Resolved, That the Clerk of the Circuit Court of Perry County be requested to forward a copy of these resolutions to the widow and family of the deceased, and also a copy to each paper printed in this circuit for publication.

            O.R. Winter

            Geo. W. Wall

            Z. Hammack

(Attest) Evan B. Rushing, Clerk


Thursday, 2 Oct 1862

James Broderick died last Tuesday in Cairo.  He was a member of the Hibernian Fire Co. and came to Cairo in the early 1850s to work on the Illinois Central railroad.


Died 25 Sep 1862, at Cairo of typhoid fever, Thomas Smith, aged about 32 years.  He was Catholic and buried in the Catholic cemetery in Cape Girardeau, Mo.


Thursday, 30 Oct 1862

Homicide in Mississippi County-

            A man named Stark, an old hunter and said to be a desperate character, was killed last Saturday about five miles from Charleston, under the following circumstances.  A family named Blandford had lost to the guerillas under Jeffries, a number of horses, a fact which served to greatly exasperate them.  On Saturday, Bob and John Blandford attended a public sale in the neighborhood, and seeing Stark demanded in an excited manner to know where he got their horse, John Blandford drawing his pistol about the same time, and firing its contents at Stark, but missing him.  Stark immediately drew his knife and made at the assailant who stumbled and fell.  Stark pounced upon him and then in the act of using his knife was shot by Bob Blandford, the ball entering the left side of the back and coming out near the right shoulder.  He rolled over and died instantly.  The Blandfords at once reported themselves to the military authorities at Bird’s Point, who, we understand, are about to investigate the matter.


Thursday, 20 Nov 1862

Died Nov. 5, 1862, at Camp Gratios (the military prison in St. Louis) of pneumonia, Oliver Perry White, a citizen of Mississippi county, Mo.


Thursday, 4 Dec 1862

Died in Cairo, Illinois, Sunday, Nov.16th inst., at 12 o’clock P.M., Henrietta B. wife of Joseph McKenzie, aged 47 years, 10 months, and 14 days.

Mrs. McKenzie was born at Falmouth, Va., on the 2nd day of January, 1815, passed her earlier years in Maryland, and was married in Deerfield, Portage county, Ohio, on the 3rd day of March 1831, and died in Cairo, Nov. 16, 1862.

Those best loved her who knew her best and to them the most eloquent rehearsal of her excellences would seem feeble.  Sought constantly by the unfortunate and needy, she was never sought in vain.  Her countless motherly attentions not to friends alone but to strangers also, shall keep her memory green in the affections of those while the carved epitaph on her monument wears smooth with age.

The well known fervency of affection which bound her to her family in ties the tenderest, and the burning tears that have baptized her lifeless form, present a touching and emphatic commentary on the character of her domestic relations.

            “She is not dead, but sleepeth.”  After the darkness, present sorrow so deep, shall dawn the daylight of an eternal future happiness.  In full assurance of this belief, she died.  Let us cherish the belief and await the dawn; for so shall this separation of the present be a vacation only which coming after so much happiness past, shall make the joys of an eternal reunion dearer in the anticipation.


Thursday, 11 Dec 1862

Death of Leroy Keesee, Esq.

At a meeting of the attorneys at law in Charleston held at the courthouse in Mississippi county, Missouri, on the 3d day of December 1862.

            George Whitcomb Esq. was called to the chair and Joseph C. Moore was appointed Secretary.

            The chairman in a few brief but pathetic remarks announced to the meeting the decease of Leroy Keesee Esq., late member of the Charleston bar, and appointed C. C. Kalfus, Messer Ward, A. M. Bedford, Robert Waide, and Joseph C. Moore to draft resolutions suitable to the occasion.  Upon which the following were submitted and adopted.

            WHEREAS, It has pleased God in the exercise of his infinite wisdom to remove from our midst by death our late friend and professional brother, Leroy Keesee, Esq., Therefore be it

            Resolved, That whilst it becomes us to bow in humble submission to the decrees of Divine Providence, we can but regret the early decease of one who in the vigor of youthful manhood gave so much promise of future usefulness.

            Resolved, That by the death of our friend the bar in this place has lost an active and efficient member, litigants a faithful attorney, the community at large a useful citizen, and his wife and mother a kind and affectionate husband and son.

            Resolved, That we tender the wife, mother, and friends of deceased our heartfelt sympathy and condolence in this their great bereavement.

            Resolved, That copies of the foregoing be furnished to the family of the deceased, the Cairo Gazette and Charleston Courier for publication and to the clerk of the circuit and county courts of this country to be spread upon the records of said courts.

            Geo. Whitcomb, Pres’t

            J.C. Moore, Secretary


A Man’s Throat Cut

A steamboat man named Peter McCartey was killed on Saturday evening last in the rear of a lot of small buildings on Commercial avenue between 5th and 6th streets.  Upon examination, it was found that the deceased had been dealt a terrible blow with a large knife taking a course downwards and to the left, reached the heart.  Of course, death ensued instantly.

            The evidence drawn out by the coroner’s jury points to one Frank McShea as the principal and to Mrs. McShea as accessory.  McCartey had been playing cards with the party in one of the buildings referred to.  During the progress of the game a quarrel arose respecting the stakes, which led to the fatal encounter.  A Negro woman, who was examined, with the view of placing the jury in the way of competent testimony, stated that after high words, Mrs. McShea handed Frank McShea a knife with which to assail McCartey, but upon this point there was no other evidence.  A trail of blood was discernable from the door to the house in question, about fifteen feet to the point occupied by the body, leaving no doubt in the minds of the jury as to the spot where the fatal blow was given.

            Mrs. McShea was committed to jail by Constable Mockler, but McShea immediately left the city.  On Monday we heard that he had been arrested at Mound City. 


Thursday, 25 Dec 1862

Little Johnny Campbell died Saturday last of violent convulsion and was buried Sunday in the Cemetery of the Lotus.  He was a member of Rough and Ready Fire Company.     

Cairo Index Page

Next Page (1864)