Search billions of records on

Obituaries and Death Notices


The Weekly Cairo Bulletin

20 April Jan 1885


The Cairo Citizen

1 Oct. 1885 -  31 Dec.1885


Cairo, Alexander County, Illinois

Transcribed and annotated by Darrel Dexter

 The Weekly Cairo Bulletin

Monday 20 Apr 1885:
David Avery, who killed a man of the name of Gage at
Vienna last summer, was under guard of the sheriff and deputy at that place. Last evening some unknown person fired through the window of the house in which he was being guarded, instantly killing him and wounding both the sheriffs.

Agnes Harper, a colored woman, died last Friday at
America. Agnes is well known in Cairo and has lived every winter for the past nine years in the family of Mrs. William Trigg. She left there a week ago, feeling rather poorly, to visit her brother who lives near America, and was taken suddenly very ill, ending in death.

            (Agnes Harper is in the 1870 and 1880 censi in the household of her brother, Edward Harper, in Mound City, Pulaski Co., Ill.  She was born about 1835 in Virginia.—Darrel Dexter)

David W. Perrine, survivor of the War of 1812, who died at Centralia recently, aged ninety-five, was high in Free Masonry, and with a single exception was probably the oldest member of the order in the
United States, having been one of the fraternity for over seventy years.

(He was born about 1789 in New Jersey, according to the 1880 census of Centralia, Clinton Co., Ill.—Darrel Dexter)


            Mr. William H. Morgan, a resident of Ballard County, Ky., called Tuesday night and gave us the details of a most fiendish affair that took place yesterday eight miles from Hinkleville, on the granite pike, the simple recital of which is enough to make one’s blood run cold.

            It appears that a white man named Jones Landerson resides on a small piece of land near there with his family, consisting of his wife, a daughter Lizzie, a beautiful girl of about 19 years of age, and little brother of 10.  Landerson is a dissipated fellow and when in liquor, which is most of the time, is exceedingly abusive to his family.

            For the past week Mrs. Landerson has been confined to her bed with a severe attack of malarial fever, and in addition expected soon to be confined.  Yesterday at noon Landerson entered the bed room of his sick wife, more in liquor than usual, and in consequence more abusive, and demanded amid the most horrible curses, why dinner was not ready.

            The poor weak wife, hardly able to lift her head from the pillow, replied in a weary voice that she supposed that Lizzie had attended to

            The brute replied that Lizzie had gone to a neighbor’s and had gotten no dinner, and that if she didn’t get up and attend to it right off, he would smash her g-d d—n head in with an axe.

The poor woman begged and implored that she had not the strength to rise from the bed, let alone cooking dinner, even then making a feeble effort to rise, at once falling back in a dead faint.  The crazy, devilish fiend in human shape, with a yell of anger mixed with the most horrible curses, seized the poor victim by the hair and jerked her into the middle of the floor, dragging her about the apartment several times, the poor worn weary body being dashed against articles of furniture and otherwise badly bruised and maltreated.

            Finding that she did not come to her senses, the ruffian began kicking her with his big cowhide boots, the breast, abdomen, head, face, back and limbs bearing the marks of the most outrageous treatment, finally terminating his diabolical work by picking the frail inanimate form from the floor and raising it above his head, cast it with all his might and main at his feet, a slight quiver, a gasp, a gross and perfect stillness, plainly showed that the spirit of the poor woman had fled to a better world.

            About this time the daughter Lizzie entered the room, and the awful discovery of her mother’s ghostly bloody upturned face, the maniac father standing over it with an uplifted chair, eyes bloodshot, hair disheveled, emitting the most terrible howls and curses which ever fell from human lips, was too much and with an agonizing scream:  “O father, what have you done!” fell in a dead faint upon the floor.

The noise of the disturbance alarmed a couple of filed hands near by who with their axes in hand, rushed into the room just in time to save the daughter, over whose inanimate form the now thoroughly liquor crazed father and husband was crouching with an uplifted hatchet.

            The demon was conquered after a desperate encounter, during which he was injured about the head by an axe in the hands of one of the men.  He was placed in an improvised lockup and thoroughly secured with strong cords.

            During the whole of this terrible affair, the young son was under his poor mother’s bed, paralyzed with fear, and unable to render any interference.  He witnessed the whole affair and told his story with the straightforward innocence of youth.

            The horrible affair soon became known throughout the neighborhood, and that the brute will be lynched in the next 24 hours there can be no possible doubt.

            The coroner’s jury developed the fact that the man had systematically abused every member of the family, the daughter and son both showing marks upon their limbs and body indicating the most frightful maltreatment.

            The murderer was removed to the Hinkleville jail for safe keeping.

            He seems to thoroughly realize his awful position, but does not appear to be especially moved by it—maintaining a dogged silence.

            He is a man about six feet high, weighs 195 pounds, red hair, overhanging shaggy eye brows, unclean, a bad wandering eye and evidently a man of great strength.

The Cairo Citizen

Thursday, 1 Oct 1885:
Near Carmi, White County, William Finley, a farmer, sixty-six years old, murdered his aged wife a few days ago with a butcher knife in the presence of their two grandchildren, and escaped to the woods.
Hulen Nichols, about twenty-two years of age, residing at Ashley, Washington County, with his widowed mother, went upstairs to his room the other afternoon and committed suicide by shooting himself through the heart with a shotgun.  Disappointment in a love affair was supposed to be the cause of the rash act.
Mr. and Mrs. Ralls lost their youngest child.  Death resulted from inflammation of the bowels.  (Thebes letter)
William Winter Dead.

The following dispatch received by Mr. Henry Winter, here explains itself:

SAN FRANCISCO, CAL., Sept. 28.—Brother William died last evening at 10:30.  Letter by Mail.
Robert Winter.

William Winter was a brother of our Henry and Thomas Winter, and was well known in Cairo, Chicago, and Cincinnati.  He was a very fine artist, photographer, and portrait painter.  He has been struggling with a disease of the lungs for several years and was worn out with consumption.  He was universally esteemed by all who knew him.  He leaves a widow, but no children.

Patrick Corcoran, an old citizen of Cairo, died Sept. 29th.  His wife died of yellow fever in 1878.  He has been a hard working man and a good citizen.  He has been suffering from the effects of sunstroke and has finally yielded to the inevitable.  He leaves four children.
We are pained to chronicle the death of Elder W. W. Dugger, the aged Christian veteran, which occurred at his home in Unionville, Massac County, Ill., on Wednesday, Sept. 23rd, 1885. 
Thursday, 22 Oct 1885:

A man from Ullin was killed at East Cape Girardeau a day or two since from the kick of a mule.
Kicked and killed by a mule at East Cape Girardeau, on the 14th, inst.—Hugh Tipton, of Ullin.  Mr. Tipton was a horse trader.

Thursday, 29 Oct 1885:
Walter Heater, who has been very low for some months with consumption is fast growing worse, and it is thought he can live but only a short time.
William Winter.
Editor Cairo Citizen:

After long months; yes, I might say years of anxiety and fear, the telegram brought to the many friends of Mr. and Mrs. William Winter the sad intelligence of his death Sept. 27th, last.

Mr. Winter was a native of England, having been born in Portsmouth.  He was the third son of a family of six brothers, and was about 11 years old when the family came to America.  His mother was a charming and beautiful woman of noble birth, “Lady Hilliard.”  His father was a fine connoisseur in, and lover of art and something of an artist himself, having painted a large panorama, with which he traveled with success in this country assisted by his oldest sons, Charles, Robert, and William.  William cultivated and developed his inherited talents as an artist from his father and uncle, who were noted artists, until he became one of the finest water color painters in America, and three of his beautiful paintings which his friends in Cairo will well remember, were accepted in the N.Y. Academy of Art, and received the first premiums in all the large cities, where they were exhibited in competition with many of the first artists of the country.  Mr. Winter was offered several times very late sums for those beautiful children of his brain, but like many others gifted with the divine fire, he could not part with them, or set a monied value on them.

Before the War, Mr. Winter went to South America and was very successful in his profession, making a large fortune in a short time.  During his sojourn there he had the yellow fever, after which he returned to Chicago.  The writer well remembers seeing him in Cairo during the three months service in 1861, when the top of his head was entirely denuded of hair, the effects of the fever.  At that time Mr. Winter became interested in Cairo and its future and he opened a large and very stylish restaurant, on the Levee and did a lucrative business, he also built what was at that time the finest and best finished block in Cairo, known as Winter’s Block.

In 1863 he married Miss Jennie Hills, of Chicago, bringing her to Cairo and taking up residence in the spacious suite of rooms in is new block.  At that time Mr. Winter possessed a large fortune and being very public spirited and having great faith in the future of the Delta City he expended largely of his ample means, not only for the city, but for his friends, none ever coming to him and being turned away unaided.  In 1868 he removed to Cincinnati and opened an artist’s studio in that city, unfortunately leaving his large business interests in Cairo in other hands.  Having built the long row of brick cottages known as the “Winter’s Row,” near the Ridge, in the sudden and complete depression of business which followed the close of the war Mr. Winter lost heavily.  In 1873 his health began to fail, he returned to Cairo and opened a fine art and photograph gallery, where he remained till he became convinced that he must seek a mountain climate to heal and restore his lungs; when he removed to Denver in 1881 where still growing weaker he worked with a will, painting wonderfully beautiful pictures, when anyone else would have given up sick and helpless.  After remaining there for two years and not receiving the benefit he hoped to derive from a change of climate, he joined his brother Robert, in San Francisco, Cal., who during his sickness and death did all that a loving and kind brother could for him and his bereaved wife.  While there William Winter made as brave and determined a fight with the fell destroyer as ever our lamented old Commander did, working steadily on, never complaining, never giving up, cheerful amid pain suffering and weakness until within a few short hours, when death claimed his own.  Attended lovingly, tenderly, and oh how faithfully, none but she and her God can know, by his devoted wife.  No man ever made a braver fight with the inevitable and only at last, when the poor tired brain gave away, did he succumb to the grim messenger who at last overcame the splendid physique, and indomitable will; when he passed to the other side smilingly recognizing those loved ones gone before.

Mr. Winter was a noble, upright, conscientious man, possessing a truly artistic soul.  He was a tender loving husband, a devoted brother; a true and faithful friend; a public-spirited unselfish citizen, and one to whom Cairo owes much.  May he rest in peace.

(William Winter married Jennie S. Hills on 23 Apr 1864, in Cook Co., Ill.—Darrel Dexter)
Dr. Hope of Alton is dead.  He died of paralysis and was in his 73rd year.  He was a good-hearted man, but his intense disloyalty during the war made it necessary for him to remove to the Southern Confederacy for a time.

Thursday, 5 Nov 1885:
Villa Ridge lost one of her most worthy ladies in the death of Mrs. Montgomery.
William Saunders, a farmer of Crossville, White County, recently died from the effects of wounds received from a kicking horse.
William B. Miller, a respected farmer, living five miles west of Carmi, White County, fell from an old apple tree a few evenings ago and broke his neck while picking apples.
Hon. John M. Gregg.

The papers announce the death of Hon. John M. Gregg, of Harrisburg, Ills.  A Dispatch to the St. Louis Republican from Harrisburg says:

“John M. Gregg, an ex-member of the Illinois House of Representatives and a prominent young attorney of this place, died this morning.  He had been under the influence of stimulants for several days, and was found near home this morning apparently crazy and very weak.  Two friends lifted him up, and while assisting him home he sank to the ground and died without a struggle.  He will be buried by the Masonic fraternity tomorrow.  He leaves a wife and two bright children to mourn his departure.”

Thursday, 12 Nov 1885:
Mrs. Mary Montgomery, mother-in-law of E. M. Titus, Esq., died at her residence here, on Monday, Oct. 26th.  Funeral services were held at the house on Tuesday, and the remains were sent to Coshocton, Ohio, for interment, Mrs. Titus and Miss Lizzie Montgomery accompanying them.  Mrs. Montgomery was quite an old lady, and had been a great sufferer in her later days.  She was honored and respected by all who knew her.—Villa Ridge
Mrs. Jackson, wife of Jesse Jackson, Esq., after a long and painful illness, died at their home at Goose Island, Saturday, Nov. 7.

Thursday, 19 Nov 1885:
Reason Heater, an old citizen of Alexander County, died the latter part of October.  He was a private in Co. A, 15th Ill. Cavalry, during the war.  One of his sons was in the army with him.
Walter Heater, one of the sons of Reason Heater named above, died of consumption about two days after his father’s death.
A terrible storm swept over Carmi, White County, and vicinity, the other evening from 5:30 to six o’clock.  No serious damage was done at Carmi, but two miles west of town a regular cyclone swept through the country, and four buildings sere blown down, including the Baptist church.  Joseph Burrell, aged seventy years, was killed, and several members of his family were crippled by the toppling of their house.
A. G. Livings, late bookkeeper for Lancaster & Rice Lumber and Manufacturing Co. died of consumption at Newton, Iowa, a few days ago.  His wife and one child died but a few weeks since.  He leaves two small children now doubly orphaned.  His body was brought to Cairo and was yesterday interred at the Beech Grove Cemetery, by the Odd Fellows and Knights of Honor of which bodies he was a member.  He was a young man of good habits and fine character and his death is a loss to this community.

Thursday, 26 Nov 1885:
Thomas Lindley, who was arrested at Ashley, Washington County, for the murder of Dow Harder, at Stewartston, October 17, was granted a preliminary trial a few days ago and acquitted.  The murder occurred while a circus was performing there and it was thought the deed was committed by one of the employees.
John Dow, a miner, employed in the coalmine at Coulterville, Randolph County, was crushed to death a few afternoons ago by a fall of slate while at work in his room.  A verdict of accidental death was returned.
At Benton, Franklin County, the other day a schoolboy named Brown, ten years old, struck a boy named
Durham, aged eight, on the neck with a baseball bat.  It was supposed Durham would die.
Hon. John B. Bowman, ex-mayor of East St. Louis, was shot and instantly killed Friday night, Nov. 20, about 8 p.m. by an assassin who crept up behind him on the street and killed him near his own door.
Mr. Richard Flagg, an old and respected merchant of Alton, died on the 15th inst., aged 71 years.
Metropolis has been all agog for more than a week over the Morrell-Waters murder case, now on trial in our circuit court, under a change of venue from Pope County.  With 128 witnesses, several lawyers and a number naturally interested in the case, the limited hotel accommodations we have, have been taxed to their utmost.  The argument in the case is well under way, at this writing (Tuesday) and the case will be given to the jury tomorrow.

Thursday, 3 Dec 1885:
Death of a Pioneer.

Mr. Peyton L. Harrison, a native of Rockingham Co., Va., for 63 years a resident of Sangamon Co., Ills., died at his residence near Pleasant Plain, in that county, Nov. 15th, at the age of 81 years.  He marred a daughter of Peter Cartwright.  The funeral took place Nov. 17th.
The trial of Thurston Hollingsworth for the murder of George Roberson, both colored, is now progressing.—Metropolis
The trial of Charles H. Morrill for the murder of George F. Waters, occupied a full week, and resulted in a conviction and sentence to fourteen years in the penitentiary.
John Bowman, whose adventures as mayor of East St. Louis gave him a national reputation, was shot dead on the sidewalk a few evenings ago in that city by some person for whose apprehension a reward of $5,000 was offered but Frank Bowman.  The deceased was the wealthiest man in the town. He was a native of Germany.  For several years he had devoted his time to the law and it was believed that his assassin was interested in certain litigation in which Bowman was engaged as counsel.
Mrs. Walton W. Wright is very ill at the residence of her father, Captain G. D. Williamson, with a great swelling on the right side of her neck.  Up to the present it has resisted all efforts to draw it to a head, and her suffering has been intense for several days.—Argus

(Walton W. Wright married Mattie Williamson on 18 Nov 1875, in Alexander Co., Ill.—Darrel Dexter)
Mrs. Carrie Cole, formerly Miss Ungles, died at her home in Sheboygan, Wis., last Friday, Nov. 27.  She was a sister of Mrs. W. P. Wright, and was well known in this city.

Thursday, 10 Dec 1885:
Died—at her home, one and one half miles east of Villa Ridge, at 4 o’clock a.m., Sunday morning, Mrs. Parker, wife of Lieutenant J. F. Parker.  Her remains were interred in the cemetery near her late residence at 2 p.m., yesterday.  Mrs. Parker was a sister of our fellow townsman, Dr. J. H. Kelly.
Major John T. Stuart, one of the oldest members of the Illinois Bar, died at Springfield, November 28th, of heart disease.  He had resided in Springfield for fifty-seven years and probably knew more of the unwritten history of the state than any other living man.
The remains of J. B. Bowman, who was assassinated at East St. Louis were interred a few days ago in Bellefontaine Cemetery, St. Louis, the funeral being largely attended.  The report that George Clark, a burglar, committed the murder, has been exploded and there is now clue as to the assassin.
Charles Morrill was found guilty at Metropolis, Massac County, of killing Frank Waters at Golconda, and sentenced to fourteen years’ imprisonment.

Thursday, 17 Dec 1885:
Mr. Imberson, a prominent farmer, died at his residence Sunday night.  Quite a number of people in the country are sick with pneumonia.—Anna Items
Frank Gibbs, a nephew of Dr. J. A M. Gibbs, of Thebes, died at the residence of J. F. Little, last week.
James Frost, a young man of promise, died last week at his mother’s residence near Dongola.  In the death of Mr. Frost our community suffers the loss of a very fine teacher in vocal music.
Ben W. Moore, the attorney who was shot at Carbondale a few days ago by Dr. Lightfoot, died Friday evening, Dec. 11.  Lightfoot was re-arrested and held for murder.
Mrs. Egan, widow of the late Martin Egan, died in this city Dec. 10th.  Her husband was during his life, quite prominent in city politics.
Mrs. Louisa Pettit, aunt of the late Ernest Pettit, died in this city Sunday after a long illness.  She was buried from St. Joseph’s Church Monday,

Thursday, 24 Dec 1885:
Georgia Williams, a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. A. Williams, died on last Sunday having suffered terribly for several days.  While cooking dinner, some two weeks ago, her clothes took fire causing her death as stated.  The sympathy of many friends is extended to the bereaved relatives.
The funeral discourse of little Elnora Carter, by Rev. Watson, on last Sunday was very good, as was also that of Georgia Williams on Monday, each were full of comforting words for mourning friends, interspersed with earnest exhortations to the audience in attendance.  Such interest is seldom manifested by our congregations.
Frank Gibbs died at Joshua Littell’s, not as Esquire John F. Little’s as published in the Citizen last week.

Thursday, 31 Dec 1885:
And so the Christmas of 1885 is a thing of the past, and while seemingly it brought joy and gladness to all inhabitants of our quite little village, it was only seemingly so, for one whole family were in gloom, viz—the family of Dr. A. G. Williams, a fragment of which were standing by his couch, hoping as it were against hope, that the doctor would pull through and be all well again in a few days.  Hopes, however, were all foiled, for at thirty minutes to midnight, the Doctor breathed his last, and all that is left of Dr. Williams is his lifeless body.  He died of pneumonia.  On the morning after Christmas as it became known that Dr. Williams had died, a gloom pervaded the village.  The words, “Dr. Williams is dead!” went from mouth to mouth until all knew it.  But the subject is too tender for us, our eyes moisten and we feel in our hears a very strong sympathy for the bereaved family.  Dr. Williams was a whole-souled man, a fine physician and surgeon, and in his death the village suffers a loss almost irreparable.  He was a member of the Knights of Honor and Odd Fellows, which orders had charge of the funeral, which took place Monday.
The aged grandmother of Captain Henry E. Taylor of the steamer Gus Fowler, died recently.
Mr. Robert J. Wheatley, an old citizen of DuQuoin, died Dec. 18th, aged 69 years.  He was born in West Virginia, near Wheeling.
Noah Merriman, the negro who shot and killed his wife a few months ago, at Belleville, St. Clair County, was recently sentenced to be hanged January 15.

Cairo Index Page

Next Page