Search billions of records on

Obituaries and Death Notices


The Cairo Citizen

7 Jan 1886-30 Dec 1886


The Weekly Cairo Bulletin

21 Apr. 1886


Cairo, Alexander County, Illinois

Transcribed by Darrel Dexter

The Cairo Citizen

Thursday, 7 Jan 1886:
Mr. John Woods, of Commerce, father of Capt. William E. Woods, is very sick and not expected to live.
Mr. Joseph Bundschuh, who has been dangerously ill with a peculiar malady which affected the whole body spasmodically, is now pronounced convalescent by the attending physician, Dr. E. J. Gause, and also sane.
On Thursday night W. J. Fern shot and wounded Josh Nelson, the ball passing thought the stomach just below the ribs.  Nelson is very low at this writing and little hopes of his recovery.  Fern was found in a bond of $1,500 for his appearance at court.  Whisky was the cause.—Vienna Times

At last accounts Nelson was living.  We greatly regret the occurrence stated in the Times.  We have known Dr. Fern for years, and have a very kind feeling for him.
Adam James accidentally stabbed Ed Murphy, a companion, at Carmi, White County, a few mornings ago.  Murphy, a lad about eighteen years old, had been scuffling with James and ran up behind him to throw him down.  James threw back his hand, striking Murphy’s arm.  Murphy having an open knife in that hand, the blade was driven about an inch and a half into his throat, just about the collarbone.  The wound would probably prove fatal.
Joseph Bundschuh, of Unity, Alexander County, was bitten by his dog on the leg about a year ago, but the wound soon healed and give no uneasiness until recently, when violent symptoms manifested themselves and he was not expected to live at last accounts.

Thursday, 14 Jan 1886:
John Woods, of Commerce, Mo., died last week.  He was a resident of this place (Thebes) for years and was a successful merchant.  He leaves many friends here to regret his demise.
A most diabolical murder was committed eight mile east of here (Anna) at Western Saratoga, last Thursday.  The particulars are about as follows:  William Wilson, a shoemaker, left his wife who was enceinte and mother of 7 children on Christmas, telling her he was going to Kentucky, leaving only five dollars in the house and but little fuel.  This soon gave out and the neighbors came in and cut her some wood.  On the day of the murder there were two or three parties cutting wood at the house. 
Wilson, with a party by name of Hood, rode up to the house and were met very cordially by Mrs. W.   Presently, two pistol shots were heard in quick succession, and Mrs. Wilson came running out of the house and dropped dead near the door.  The first shot took effect in the breast and the second in the back.  After shooting his wife, Wilson walked off, but returned in a short time and seemed grief stricken.  When the constable and his posse arrived and arrested him they brought him to Jonesboro where he is in jail.  Wilson is not regarded by some as sane.  He has been affected for a long time with some incurable disease and draws a pension.  It is presumed he was jealous of his wife, as they have had trouble before this.
Mrs. Winter, the widow of the late William Winter, has recently come on from California and is visiting her mother, Mrs. Hills, at the asylum at Anna.
Mr. John A. Redman, brother of Joseph H. Redman, of this city, who was here on a visit to his brother and sisters not long ago, died at his home in Ocala, Florida, after a lingering illness, on Saturday night, January 9th, and was buried on Sunday, the 10th instant.  Shawneetown papers please copy.
Martin Gladden Drowned.

On Thursday, January 7th, Dr. Walton received a dispatch from Mound Junction stating that Martin Gladden was drowned the day before and that the body had not been recovered.  No particulars were given.

The Doctor immediately went to the Junction and from there to the Cache River, where the accident occurred.

It seems that a colored man was putting Gladden across the Cache in a “dug out.”  The river was swollen, the current strong and the “dug out” small and narrow.  The boat capsized in the middle of the stream and both men were plunged into the water.  The ferryman swam out drenched and chilled.  He got a glimpse of Gladden a few yards below as he came to the surface, when he immediately disappeared never to be seen again.

Mr. Gladden came to Cairo from Mobile in the summer of 1879.  He represented, as he said, a great many colored people at or near Mobile who were not satisfied with their surroundings and wished to come to a northern state.  He looked around and finding, openings as he thought he brought several colored families to southern Illinois that same autumn.  He continued to act as an immigration agent and as agent for the sale of Illinois Central Railroad lands for several years.  In connection with A. G. Leonard he started the newspaper, Three States, which he conducted for some time.  He occupied some kind of a position in connection with the Illinois legislature one winter, and at the close of the session was the recipient of a very fine gold watch at the hands of some of the members of the General Assembly.  I the autumn of 1884, he was a candidate for the office of county commissioner of Pulaski County where he then resided.

He leaves a wife and two or three small children, who have been in Mobile for some time.  He returned from a visit to them but a few days ago.  His sudden death will be a terrible shock to his wife.
Mr. Gladden was a man of much force of character and was always a leader among the colored people, though he had more white blood in his veins than black.  He was educated in the schools of the American Missionary Association at Mobile, and was a member of the Congregational Church, organized by that association in Mobile.

Thursday, 21 Jan 1886:
Mrs. John Pilliard is lying at the point of death at this writing.
Mr. Thomas Middleton, for more than twenty years a justice of the peace in Alton, died Jan. 8th, in his 80th year.
Dr. John I. Nowotny, of Hodges Park, died last Thursday.  His death was most painful.  A stone had formed in the gall and passed out into a duet where it lodged causing his death.  A surgical operation would probably have saved him, but he refused to submit to it.  He was 53 years of age and was an excellent physician.  The doctor came to Alexander County about eleven or twelve years ago and settled at Beech Ridge.  Burying his wife there he sold out and removed to Minnesota.  For his second wife he married Miss Hodges, sister of our sheriff.  After a few years’ absence he came back to Alexander County and settled at Hodges Park, where he had built up a good practice and was keeping a drug store.  He was recently appointed post master.  He leaves a widow and several grown children by his first wife.
Mr. Gladden, a prominent colored man, once proprietor of a newspaper at Cairo, fell from a log recently and was drowned in the Cache River, near Villa Ridge.

Thursday, 28 Jan 1886:
We regret to learn that a child of Mr. Gray Hovey is seriously ill.
Two murderers in our county jail, awaiting trial at the March term of Court.  There never has been a white man hanged in Union and these two will doubtless take a change of venue to prevent so disgraceful an exhibition.
Miss Anna Jones, formerly of Cairo, died at the home of her mother in Detroit, Mich., Jan. 19th., of typhoid fever.  Mr. Hugh Jones (her brother) while here was connected with the Tress Hoop Factory of Johnston & Flowers.  He went from here to Indiana.  Miss Anna will be remembered by some of our young people among whom she made many friends.
Tuesday morning, between Casey and Moscow, on the Mobile and Ohio railroad, J. M. Chandler, conductor of a freight train, while trying to pass from the cars to the engine, fell to the track below.  The train was stopped as soon as possible, but he was found dead and crushed almost beyond recognition.  The remains were sent to his home at Jackson, Tenn., where he has a family.
On Wednesday morning at about 11 o’clock,. John Boyd, the accountant at the depot boarded the northbound mail train and rode up above A. H. Danforth’s warehouse to get the number of some cars on the side track and jumped off, slipped and fell against a cross tie with such force as to crush his skull from the right eye on around to the back of his head.  He was discovered immediately, picked up and placed on a cot and carried to Mrs. Robinson’s boarding house where he immediately received medical and surgical attention.  He lingered in an unconscious condition until about half past six o’clock that night, when death relieved him of all pain.—
Charleston (Missouri) Enterprise.
A very sad and fatal accident occurred last Saturday afternoon at Golconda, which throws a deep gloom over the whole community.  A large party of Golconda’s young people were skating on Lusk Creek, among them Prof. T. R. Fraser, principal of Golconda public schools and Miss Carrie Rauchfuss, youngest daughter of Mr. C. F. Rauchfuss, one of the oldest and wealthiest citizens.  About four o’clock Prof. Frazer and Miss Rauchfuss were missed and search was immediately instituted, almost the entire town participant which continued Saturday night and all day Sunday.  Sunday night the remains of both were brought to the surface.  The remains of Prof. Fraser were taken to Plainfield, Ill., where his parents reside.
Willie, only son of T. W. and Catherine Leahigh, aged 13 years and seven months, died Monday at 12:45 p.m.  Fort two years he has suffered with heart disease but has borne his suffering with fortitude, and died with a full assurance of an eternal reward.  In the loss of their son and brother the family have the heartfelt sympathy of all.
Noah Merriman (colored), who killed his wife at Belleville, St. Clair County, on the 10th of April, expiated his crime on the scaffold in the jail yard at 11:30 the other morning.  While the noose was being arranged about the neck of Merriman he fell in a faint, and it required the services of three men to hold him on the trap until it was sprung.  He died in terrible agony.


 Thursday, 4 Feb 1886:
News reaches here of the death of William McLoney, brother of the late Dr. James McLoney, of Cobden, by exposure to cold while riding in a sleigh near his home in northern Ohio.  The news was not direct and the friends here are not sure of its authenticity and are hoping it is incorrect, until they ascertain.
Thornton R. Frazier and Carrie Rauchfuss were drowned a few days ago while skating at Golconda, Pope County.

Hon. David T. Linegar died Tuesday night, Feb. 2d, at about half past seven o’clock.  He was carried away by a complication of diseases, yellow jaundice, Bright’s disease, and a trouble of the heart.  He lacked just ten days of being fifty-six years old.  He was a man of very find native ability, and of unbounded good nature.  He very seldom made an enemy.  Born in Ohio, Feb. 12th, 1830, reared in Indiana, he came to Illinois in the year 1858 and located at Fairfield as a lawyer.  In 1860 he was the Republican candidate for Congress in this, the 9th District, of Illinois, running against John A. Logan, the Democratic candidate.  The majority against him was some thirteen thousand.  Soon afterwards he was appointed post master at Cairo by President Lincoln.  He did not hold the office very long, however.  For the last twenty years he has practiced law in Cairo.  For twenty years of life he was a Republican in politics.  For the past eight or ten years he has worked with the Democratic party and has been elected twice as a Democrat to the lower house of the Illinois General Assembly.  He leaves a widow and two daughters.  He was a genial companion, careless in his habits and never accumulated property.  He carried one or two thousand dollars insurance upon his life.  All who knew him will think kindly of Dave Linegar.  Requiescat in pace.
Good Bye.  In Memory of Willie Leahigh (Poem by Mrs. C. F. P. not copied)

Thursday, 11 Feb 1886:
Mrs. John Pilliard, Sr., is no more having died a few days ago and after a painful and protracted illness. Mr. P. was more than 50 years old and a faithful consistent member of the Baptist Church.  To the bereaved friends we extend our sympathy.  Elder McCrite preached the funeral discourse.

SPRINGFIELD, ILL., February 5th—Hon. B. S. Edwards, of the law firm of Stuart, Edwards & Brown, died at his home in Springfield, Ill., at 9:30 a.m. Thursday, February 4th, of congestion of the brain.  His illness was of about four months duration, but he was not thought to be in a dangerous condition until about ten days ago.  He had been unconscious since last Monday and died at the hour mentioned, with his family and friends about him.

Judge Edwards was the son of Ninian Edwards, the first governor of the Territory of Illinois, and was born at Edwardsville, in 1818.  He was a graduate of the college and law school of Yale, and an office student under the late Stephen T. Logan, of this city.  He began the law practice here in 1840; his first partner being Gen. E. D. Baker, who was afterwards United States Senator from Oregon, and who was killed in the Battle of Ball’s Bluff.

Edwards had for his competitors in the practice at that time Abraham Lincoln, Stephen A. Douglas, Jesse B. Thomas and others, who became famous before the country.  In 1843 he formed a partnership with Hon. John T. Stuart, which continued without interruption until the death of Stuart in November last.  He continued in the practice steadily up to the beginning of his final illness, except for the brief period, which he served in the Constitutional Convention of 1862, and about fifteen months upon the bench of this judicial circuit.  He was widely known as a zealous and powerful lawyer, and accumulated a handsome property.  Of the old Edwards family, Ninian W., is not the only one left.  He is living here, at the age of 76.—Globe Democrat.
William Lafoon, newly appointed road supervisor near Commercial Point, died of typhoid pneumonia yesterday.
Mr. James Watts, a farmer living on Sandy Ridge, in Unity Precinct, was accidentally killed Tuesday.  He was out cutting timber for firewood.  He had felled a tree and was found lying near it.  A dead limb must have fallen striking him senseless.  He made one or two struggles after he was found.  He came from Wisconsin in the autumn of 184 and purchased the farm formerly owned by William Wagner.  He leaves a widow and several children.  He was a good farmer and a good citizen—just the kind we want to settle in Alexander County.
Moore Lightfoot Murder Trial.

One of the hardest fought trials for murder that ever occurred in southern Illinois was brought a conclusion at Murphysboro, on Wednesday, Feb. 3rd, by a conviction and sentence of the defendant, Dr. Henry E. Lightfoot, to a term of twenty years imprisonment in the penitentiary.

It would seem that on the 21st of November last, Dr. Lightfoot met Mr. Benjamin W. Moore, a lawyer, upon the streets of Carbondale, of which city both were residents and shot him down in cold blood.  An old feud seems to have existed between then.  Moore died Dec. 11th.  Dr. Lightfoot was duly indicted and brought to a speedy trial, which lasted nine days.  The ablest counsel were employed on both sides with the result as stated above.

The prosecution was conducted by Messrs. R. J. Stephens, Judge Lemma, R. J. McElvain, State’s Attorney, Hon. George W. Hill, and W. A. Schwartz.  Judge Duff, Hon. William J. Allen, Hon. Isaac Clements, and Hon. W. W. Barr, were employed in the defense.  The jury were out thirty minutes.

Thursday, 18 Feb 1886:
Death has entered out community and Emery B. Barker has left us.  There is a gap in the ranks of “the old set” and they must draw nearer together.  He was one of nature’s noblest men “in whom there was no guile.”  Upright and devoted, the very soul of honor, always found on the right side, a kind parents, a perfect neighbor, a true friend and a good man.  Quiet an unobtrusive, his creed was good actions rather than many words.  His stepson, John W. Covington, of Dexter, Mo., arrived too late to say goodbye, but in time to assist in the last tribute of respect.

At a regular meeting of Safford Lodge No. 67, I. O. O. F., held January 27th, 1886, the following preamble and resolutions were unanimously adopted.

WHEREAS, It has pleased Almighty God to remove from our midst out late brother Noble Grand Elect William R. Hendrix and Whereas, It is but just that a fitting recognition of his many virtues should be had, therefore be it

Resolved, by Safford Lodge No. 67 I. O. O. F., of Cairo, Ills., that while we bow with humble submission to the will of the most high, we do not the less mourn for our Brother, who ahs been taken from us,

Resolved, That in the death of William R. Hendrix this lodge laments the loss of a brother who was ever ready to proffer the hand of aid and voice of sympathy to the needy and distressed of the fraternity, an active member of this society whose utmost endeavors were exerted for its welfare and prosperity, a friend and companion who was dear to us all—a citizen whose upright and noble life was a standard of emulation to his fellows.

Resolved, That the heartfelt sympathy of this lodge be extended to his widowed mother and sister in their affliction.

Resolved, That these resolutions be spread upon a page of the records of this lodge.

Resolved, That the lodge room be draped and that the brothers wear the usual badge of mourning for thirty days, and that a copy of these resolutions be sent to the mother of the deceased Brother.
Horace A. Hannon,
Elmer E. Comings,
Dr. J. E. Strong, Comm.

The coroner’s jury having returned a verdict at Belleville recently that Fred Lippert was the murderer of his wife, he was placed under arrest and lodged in jail.  The evidence shows that he crushed in her head with a stone while she was sitting at the supper table.  He then went across the street and engaged in a game of cards until nine o’clock, after which he returned home and thence back to the saloon and said his wife had been killed.  The murder was one of the most deliberate ever committed in this part of the country.
James Watts, a prominent farmer of Alexander County, was killed the other day by a falling limb while cutting down a tree.  He moved there from Michigan two years ago, and was a most valued citizen.  He leaves a wife and small family.

Thursday, 25 Feb 1886:
Chris Mattuse, a young German farmer living two miles south of this place (Anna), suicided yesterday.  he adopted the executioner’s means—a rope.  Climbing up a tree he fastened the rope securely to a limb, a la nousa around his neck and then and there leaped off and died from strangulation.
It is with sincere regret we record the death of Otto, the five-year-old son of Levi McIntosh.  He had been suffering for several weeks from a  most painful illness, but was thought to be improving rapidly until Sunday, the 14th, when he was suddenly attacked with spasms and died in a few hours.  The bereaved parents have the heartfelt sympathy of the entire community.
Death of Bishop Baltes

Right Rev. Bishop P. J. Baltes, of the diocese of Alton, died Monday Feb. 15, quite suddenly.  The immediate cause of his death was congestion and inflammation of the liver.  He was born in Bavaria, April 7th, 1827 and was 59 years old.  His parents brought him to this country when he was about 5 years old.
Mrs. Frederick Lippert was murdered the other night at Millstadt, St. Clair County by some unknown person.  Her husband found her unconscious on the floor of their home, and an examination of the body showed that she had been struck on the temple with a rock and her skull fractured.


Thursday, 4 Mar 1886:
Death has been quite busy among us this last winter.  The demise of Dr. Nowotny was a very great loss to this community (Hodges Park), which will not be soon forgotten.
The community sustained another great loss in the death of Mr. James Watts, who was accidentally killed by the falling of a limb upon his head while he was felling a tree.  Mrs. Watts, the bereaved widow, wishes to extend thanks to her many friends for their sincere kindness in her hour of trouble.
Mr. John Hodges lost a little boy by falling into a kettle of boiling water.  It was a most shocking death, though the child lived but a few hours after the accident.
We are sorry to note the death of Mrs. George Long.  She died of typhoid pneumonia.  She leaves a husband, one son and an aged mother to mourn her untimely end.  All friends extend to the bereaved ones much sympathy.  One by one the saints are going.

            Editor Citizen:—I have been requested to furnish you a brief statement of the life of Mr. S. P. Truesdell, who died at Hodges Park in this county last Saturday afternoon, Feb. 27th, 1886.  He was born in Orange Co., Vt., Jan. 7th, 1809, hence he was a little over 77 years of age.  When a young man he came West and settled in this state when it was still the home of the Indian.  He was one of the early settlers of Chicago, having lived there when it had a population of less than 300 persons.  HE was a soldier of the Black Hawk War and in a skirmish at Montrose, Iowa, was wounded with poisoned arrows, from the effects of which he suffered for 55 years, or until his death.  He was one of the founders of the town of Lamont, near Chicago, and was at the time possessed of considerable wealth, but reverses came and at the time of his death he was dependent for a support from the government.  In 1836 he married Miss Clarissa Southard, who still survives.  He was a member of the Presbyterian Church for 54 years.
In 1872 he was daily expected to die.  Before he became so reduced thinking that his end was near, he wrote a letter, unknown to his wife, addressed, “To some servant of the Lord who shall preach my funeral sermon,” and sealed it up—That letter I opened and read at his funeral services on last Monday, March 1st.

It was dated March 1st, 1872—exactly 14 years before.  It continued the text which he desired to have used at his funeral, which was John xi.25, “I am the resurrection and the life—He that believeth in me though he were dead, yet shall he live,” also several facts concerning his life, particularly that he had been a Christian then for over 40 years; that though he had often fallen, yet he felt he was not forsaken of the Lord, that he plead no self righteousness but relied wholly on the finished work of Him who is able to save all who come to him.

The following written by himself, some years before his death has been sent me with the request that it be published.  He died in full faith of a blessed and immortal life beyond the grave, as revealed in the Gospel of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ, who is the resurrection an the life—the open door, the Way, the Truth and the Life.
“Thus another and another
They are going one by one
As the golden bowl is broken
And life’s silver threat is spun.
The Christian home in glory
With a smile upon his brow
He has gone to join his Savior.
And we can but humbly bow
To that higher will of Him
Who hath taken him away
To dwell forever with the ransomed
In the realms of endless day.”
Respectfully yours,
E. A. Hoyt

Mrs. Susan Gibson, mother of Mr. William Gibson, janitor at the Public Library, died at her home in this city, Tuesday night.  She has been an invalid for a long time.  Her remains were taken to Metropolis Wednesday evening on the steamer Gus Fowler, where they will b buried beside the grave of her husband.  She was an aged, faithful Christian and has gone to her reward.

Thursday, 11 Mar 1886:
Mr. Frank McIntosh, living in the Wise neighborhood, in Johnson County, was shot dead in his house at about nine o’clock p.m., of the second instant.  His family had retired to bed and he was sitting by his fireside, fixing wipers on a gun stock.  The assassin, who at this writing is unknown, shot though a crack between two logs in the building.  A dozen first-class hangings should have taken place years ago in Johnson and Union counties.  This would perhaps, have been the means of putting a quietus on this murdering business in southern Illinois, but as such has not been the case, murdering goes on with impunity and the people are taxed to pay the costs of prosecutions for murder that are mere farce.  Let the hangman be turned loose in earnest, and the killing business will stop.

Mrs. E. S. Brigman, widow of the late Dr. J. W. Brigman, of Elco, died Thursday, March 4th.  She had been in poor health for a long time.  Her first husband, Daniel Frost, was killed in battle July 19th, 1864.  She leaves three sons and one daughter.  D. V. Frost of Cairo is one of the sons.

Thursday, 18 Mar 1884:
Much sorrow was felt in our little community by the death of Mr. Planert, of Elco.  He labored faithfully in our midst as teacher last winter, and will long be remembered as an upright man.
Virgil Beale of Cobden died last Friday.  He had been sick for some days and his death was not wholly unexpected.  He was originally from New York, but had been prominent in business circles at Cobden for twenty years.  He had carried on the milling business.
The infant daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Charles Wright was buried Monday afternoon. It was one of the pair of twins and survived its mate but a few weeks.  They were formerly of your city, and have the sympathy of all.—Cobden
W. F. Longely was called to Wisconsin last week but the sudden death of his brother.—Cobden
Virgil Beale died on Friday, March 12th at his residence here (Cobden).  He had been a resident of Union County for twenty years and was known throughout the state as a manufacturer of fruit box material, lumber and flour.  He leaves a wife and w wide circle of acquaintances.  The remains were taken to Phelps, N.Y., his former home.
William St. Clair, a young man aged nineteen, was accidentally and fatally shot the other morning while duck hunting on the Kaskaskia River, near Carlyle, Clinton County.
The body of Mrs. Mitchell, wife of a negro, was found in a creek near Lebanon, St. Clair County, a few days ago.  It was known that she had trouble with her husband, and the presumption was that she was murdered.  Mitchell was arrested and there were threats of lynching.
The little four-year-old boy of R. Fitzgerald died of pneumonia at midnight last Monday night.  He was buried yesterday.
Walter Loomis, an old gentleman in his 69th years, living three miles southeast of Makanda died suddenly March 4th.  He was on his way home from Makanda on foot and died on the road.
Henry Planert

Mr. Henry Planert, an old citizen of Alexander County, died at Elco, March 10th.  For many years he lived at Thebes, where he married a daughter of Dr. Barkhausen.  He leaves two grown sons and his widow to mourn his loss.  He has been a school teacher most of his life.  About the year 1880 or 1881 he emigrated to New Mexico, but not being satisfied with the change he soon returned to Alexander County.  Of late, he has lived at Elco.  He himself has taught school this past winter at East Cape Girardeau.  He was a man of pure life and high character, and always favored anything which would raise the intellectual and moral character of the community in which he lived.  For his untimely death we would “weep with those who weep.”

Thursday, 25 Mar 1886:
Death has again made an inroad among Dongolans.  This time his victim was an octogenarian, a Mr. G. W. Wright.  He had resided in Dongola about 26 years.
Philip Sowers is lying dangerously ill at the residence of Eli Richey, near Villa Ridge.  We hope Mr. Sowers will recover for he is one of our most respected farmers and his loss would be felt by the entire community.
In the death of the late Henry Planert our community (Elco) has lost a most honest and upright citizen, a man ever found on the side of morality and good society, a strong advocate of Temperance and friend of the poor.  We tender our condolence to the bereaved relatives.
John Mitchell, of Lebanon, St. Clair County, made a confession a few days ago that he killed his wife, whose body was found in Silver Creek.  Mitchell is a cousin of Noah Merriman, who was hanged at Belleville in January last for the murder of his wife.
Jim Arnot and two
Newton boys were taken to Cairo a few days ago from Vienna, Johnson County, for safekeeping, charged with the murder of McIntosh, who was shot while sitting with his family not long since.

Thursday, 1 Apr 1886:
Mrs. Mattie Hamilton, wife of Frank Hamilton, formerly of this place (Murphysboro), died at the residence of William G. Spiller, in Carbondale, on Wednesday morning last, aged 37 years.  Funeral took place in this city from the home of John R. Kane, Esq.
Charles Kraper, who is mentioned by both our Dongola and Anna correspondents has having been killed near Dongola last Sunday morning was a young man about twenty-one years of age from Metropolis.  He left home early last week expecting to go to DuQuoin.  He had considerable money upon his person when he left home.  No money was found upon the body.  We cannot learn why he stopped at Dongola.  We have not yet learned the verdict of the coroner’s jury.
Dr. Eddleman, the coroner was telegraphed yesterday to repair to Dongola and hold an inquest over a stranger whom the morning passenger train ran over.  From indications it seems that the party was been foully dealt with.  From papers on his person his name was found to be Krapper.  The engineer saw him in time to check the train so that the cow catcher knocked him off the track.  When first seen he was on his hands and knees, apparently trying to crawl off the track.  His shoes and coat were off and thrown beside the track.  His skull was broken and his face terribly beaten.  The corner continues his inquest today.  This makes the third murder that has been committed in Dongola in a similar manner, in the last few years.  Let the guilty parties be hunted out and severely dealt with.
The mail train going north at 4 o’clock a.m., of March 29th, ran over a man three quarter of a mile south of Dongola named Charles Kraper.  He was crawling along on the I. C. R.R. track when struck.  Near by his coat and shoes lay in a pond of water.  Circumstances indicate foul play.  Corner here (Dongola) now to hold an inquest.

Thursday, 8 Apr 1886:
The corner’s jury who investigated the cause of the death of Charles Kraper who was killed near Dongola recently, rendered a verdict to the effect the deceased came to his death by being struck by a railroad train.  The Dongola correspondent of the Anna Talk says:

“The impression has been created by reckless assertions that the young man, Charles Kraper, was murdered before being placed on the track; everything goes to show, however, that such a thing is out of the question.  He was killed by the train beyond all doubt, while in a probably state of insanity, caused by long spreeing, such as his brother states he was in the habit of taking; always leaving home that his mother might avoid seeing him.”
The young man, Kraper, who was killed by the train near Dongola, some two weeks ago, was a citizen of Metropolis, when alive, and was taken there for burial.  The verdict of the jury was, “Came to his death by being struck by the train.”  This may be so, but we still think it doubtful.  A few years ago, Wiley
Dees borrowed one hundred dollars of a man in Dongola and left Dongola just at night with the money on his person.  He lived near Wetaug so walked down the Illinois Central railroad track and near the place where young Kraper was killed, Mr. Dees was knocked on the head and relieved of the $100.  He was laid upon the track and left for the train to mangle.  Mr. Dees proved to be not so dead as the robbers supposed, but revived so as to get up and make his way to Wetaug.  Mr. Dees got well but was minus the $100.  The ruse of laying murdered men on the track is often practiced all over the land.  The accepted hypothesis here is that the “young man had been on a protracted drunk.”  If this be so, is it any argument for the rum traffic?  “Nasby” says, “The times are growing ripe for its extinction.  The feeling is spreading that rum is not worth what it costs the world, and that it and its defenders must go.” 


As we go to press we learn that one steamboatman has just killed another by hitting him upon the head with a rock, upon the Ohio Levee near Clark’s Block.  We can give no particulars.  The parties were white men.

Thursday, 15 Apr 1886:
Sid Holmes, an aged colored man, died suddenly in this place (Hodges Park) a few days since.  He was one of the first slaves to leave the south after the Proclamation of Emancipation.  He has resided in southern Illinois since his advent from the south.  He leaves a wife.
Mrs. G. B. Poor is in Ashley, whither she went to attend the funeral of her sister-in-law Mrs. Post.
Rev. Watson, of Elco, preached the funeral of Henry Planert, last Sunday.
Mrs. Myers, who lived near Carmi, White County, committed suicide the other day by hanging.
Shannon Pryor, a farmer residing near Carmi, White County, was killed by a falling limb, while felling trees the other day.  He leaves a wife and four children.

Thursday, 22 Apr 1886:
Friends here (Cobden) were pained by the receipt of the news of the death of Mrs. Jennie Jarvis Fields, at her home in Chicago.  She was formerly a resident of this place and left a husband and one child to mourn her untimely death.
The killing of Mr. M. Thomas, deputy sheriff of Pope County, at Golconda, by W. J. Randolph has caused an excitement throughout the county which is seldom equaled.

Randolph was a Democrat, elected treasurer of the county four years ago by the aid of Republican votes.  He was a defaulter and his bondsman had some of them sworn out a warrant for his arrest.  Thomas went to his house to arrest him.  He was lying upon a lounge at home when Thomas told his errant, he hastily put on his coat, seized his pistol and rushed out of the house saying that he would not be arrested.  Thomas ordered him to stop, telling him that he must take him.  The firing soon began, each party firing four or five shots.  Thomas fell mortally wounded.  Randolph defiantly proceeded on out of town followed by citizens determined to effect his arrest.  He finally surrendered.

Thomas, the deputy sheriff, was a man of high character respected by everybody.  He was a candidate for sheriff and would probably have been elected.  He leaves a wife and children.  The killing can only be stigmatized as an outrageous murder without any mitigations.  Well may the community be excited.
Night watchman Kelly, of Carmi, White County, was beaten in a melee the other night and his recovery was doubtful.  The man who did it was under arrest.

Thursday, 29 Apr 1886:
Young Louis Castelain, of Murphysboro, aged 16 years, was drowned in the Big Muddy last week Tuesday.  The family was well known in Cairo as they formerly lived three miles out from this city (Murphysboro).  His father was also known here as French Louis.
Mrs. E. S. Dewey left yesterday afternoon for Nashville, Ills., being called to the bedside of her father, Rev. D. P. French, who is very ill and probably cannot recover.
Miss Mary Koehler, daughter of the late John Koehler, died at the family residence on 8th Street, Tuesday morning of consumption.  She was able to be up and about the house almost to the last so that her death was not expected at the present time.

(A marker in Cairo City Cemetery at Villa Ridge reads:  Mary Koehler 1864-1886.—Darrel Dexter)
At Golconda, Pope County, the other night John Randolph, ex county treasurer, shot and killed T. M. Thomas, a deputy sheriff, in a dispute about a lawsuit.


Thursday, 6 May 1886:
D. C. Barber Esq.

D.C. Barber, Esq., long a resident of Tamaroa, in Perry County, and the projector of the Chester and Tamaroa railroad, died in Denver, Colo., Friday morning, April 23, 1886, aged 62 years.  His death was sudden and unexpected. Mr. Barber, for the past five years, has been running a cattle ranch, twelve miles south of Denver and also largely engaged in silver mining.  During lifetime Mr. Barber was one of the most active businessmen in southern Illinois, of a combative nature, with numerous enemies, and a host of friends.  He never knew what it was to fail in any enterprise that he engaged in.—Coulterville Leader.

Mr. Barber was well known in Cairo.
George Goode (colored), a miner, was buried here (DuQuoin) on the 1st.  Death caused by slate falling on him while working at St. Johns.  He leaves a wife and five children.
Died, at Nashville, Ill., April 29th, Rev. D. P. French, aged 69 years. Mr. French was the father of Mrs. Dewey, wife of E. S. Dewey of this city.
Died, at Anna, April 25th, Mr. Joseph Lufkin, aged 80 years.  Mr. Lufkin has resided at Villa Ridge for many years.  He leaves a widow nearly eighty years of age and four sons and one daughter to mourn his loss, namely:  Joseph H. and George H. Lufkin, of Villa Ridge; Orrin A. Lufkin, of Beardstown, Ill.; John E. Lufkin, of Anna, and Mrs. M. A. Thomas of Lagrange, Missouri.

Thursday, 13 May 1886:
Mrs. Barney, the aged mother of Mrs. Samuel Hastings and Mrs. J. P. Thistlewood, was found dead in her bed Sunday morning at the residence of Mr. Hastings. She retired Saturday night feeling as well as usual.  She had been troubled somewhat with shortness of breath, but had not been considered seriously ill.  She probably died of heart disease.

            (Samuel Hastings married Anise L. Barney on 24 Sep 1876, in Clay Co., Ill.—Darrel Dexter)

Thursday, 20 May 1886:
Randolph, the murderer of Deputy Sheriff Thomas, of Golconda, has taken a change of venue to Johnson County.

Died, at half past four on Sunday morning, at the residence of his parents on 24th Street west of Holbrook Ave., Walter, oldest son of Mr. August Marquard, one of our oldest citizens of Cairo.  He was 19 years of age, an excellent young man, had a great many friends and was loved by everyone that knew him.  He was buried Monday afternoon, and a host of friends accompanied the remains to Beech Grove Cemetery.  The floral tributes were many and beautiful.  The bereaved parents, brothers and sister have the sympathies of their many friends.

Mrs. Louisa Ice, a widow, aged about thirty-five years, living at Russellville, Lawrence County, saturated her clothing with coal oil a few nights ago and then set fire to herself.  She died in great agony.  Several weeks ago Mrs. Ice attempted to take her life by hanging herself to a tree.  She had been very melancholy since the death of her husband several months ago, and had asserted on several occasions that she was determined to kill herself.

Thursday, 27 May 1886:
Last week, Jacob Barnhart, one of Union County’s oldest and most respected citizens, received a paralytic stroke, from which he died in two days.  He was seventy-seven years old.  His wife died in her seventieth year, on cancer of the breast, just one week previous.  They went down to their graves full of years and honor, professing Christianity, and now “rest from their labors.”

Suicide of James K. Walton.

This community was intensely shocked on Sunday morning last by the disclosure—that James K. Walton had committed suicide by shooting himself through the base of the brain, with a 22 caliber!  Deceased was one of Union County’s best farmers, has lived in the county for more than a quarter of a century and accumulated quite a fortune—mostly in real estate.  He has been suffering for several years with diabetes, which is supposed to have produced temporary insanity. No citizen in this vicinity enjoyed the esteem, love and confidence of his neighbors and friends more universally than James K. Walton.  Dr. William Eddleman, coroner, was away at the time holding in inquest over a “floater” at Devil’s Island.  In his absence, Esquire James W. Coleman held the inquest and the jury brought in a verdict according to facts above stated.
A terrific storm visited Nashville, Washington County, at two o’clock the other afternoon, doing considerable damage, and causing the death of Sid Moore and son, who were struck by lightning as they were standing at the door of their home.  The house, catching fire, was entirely consumed.  Moore was a prosperous farmer and highly respected.
The funeral of James K. Walton, of Anna, occurred on Tuesday.  It was very largely attended.  About seventy-five carriages followed his body to the grave.
Mr. James K. Walton, a prosperous farmer living near Anna, aged about 60 years, committed suicide by shooting himself through the head early Sunday morning, May 23rd.  He was an honored member of the Presbyterian Church.  He was afflicted with disease of the kidneys and was undoubtedly insane at the time the fatal deed was committed.

Thursday, 3 Jun 1886:
James K. Walton, one of the wealthiest men in Union County, was found dead in his barn at Anna a few days ago, shot through the head.  It was supposed that he killed himself while temporarily insane.

Mrs. Millie Ann Arter, widow of the late Dr. Daniel Arter, died at her residence in Cairo, last Thursday after we had gone to press.  She was bout 73 years of age, but her death at that time was sudden and unexpected.  She leaves children, and a large circle of friends to mourn her loss.  Her funeral was attended Saturday by a large concourse of people.  The exercises were conducted by Warren Chase, the noted spiritualist.

(Daniel Arter married Milly Ann Moyer on 3 Dec 1837, in Alexander Co., Ill.  A marker in Cairo City Cemetery at Villa Ridge reads:  Millie wife of Dr. Arter July 22, 1813-May 7, 1886.—Darrel Dexter)

Thursday, 10 Jun 1886:
A German woman employed as a housekeeper by Rev. Father Eckhard, a Roman Catholic priest, at Germantown, Clinton County, burned herself to death on a brush pile in a vineyard near the rectory the other day.

Thursday, 17 Jun 1886:
Hon. James M. Gregg of Harrisburg, died of consumption at La Jupta, Colorado, June 10th, where he had gone hoping to prolong his life.  His funeral will be attended at Harrisburg, June 15th.
The bar of southern Illinois was invited generally to attend the funeral of Hon. James M. Gregg at Harrisburg on Tuesday.  He was a young man, just in the prime of life, had been a member of the Illinois legislature, was an ardent Democrat and was one of the nine Democrats who rendered their names immortal by voting for our present high license law.  He was abused and maligned by many of his party friends for that vote, but he had the proud consciousness that he had done right.

Mr. Patrick Mockler, one of the old citizens of Cairo, died suddenly last evening of a congestive chill.  He had only been sick one day.  He was well known to everybody and we believe was a man without an enemy.

(A marker in Calvary Cemetery at Villa Ridge reads:  Patrick Mockler Died June 26, 1886, Aged 50 Yrs.—Darrel Dexter)
Mrs. Martin Lippett died last evening at seven p.m.  She was about 84 years of age and had been sinking for a long time.  She was the mother of Mrs. Charles Galigher, Mrs. Lentz, and Arnold and William D. Lippett.  The remains will be buried at Zanesville, Ohio.

Thursday, 24 Jun 1886:
Jonesboro Suicide

Our neighboring city, Jonesboro, is a little ancient, but now and then gives out something modern to the world.  The quiet little village was the scene last week of an attempted murder and a sure enough suicide.  An old man by the name of Ware shot his wife who was much younger than himself and then deliberately walked into the house, reloaded his revolver and shot himself dead.  The woman may recover.  Cause of the crime, jealousy.
L. T. Eubanks died at this place (Creal Springs) last week.  He was quite aged and father of John M. Eubanks, Esq. of this village.
Rev. Joseph Mosser, formerly agent of the American Bible Society, and well known in Cairo, died in Salem, Ill., June 10th, of dropsy, aged 74 years.
A Double Tragedy at Jonesboro.

On last Friday morning an old man named John C. Ware at Jonesboro shot his wife and afterwards himself.  He died in a short time.  It is thought that his wife’s wound will prove fatal.  He was about 82 years of age and had been married several times before.  His wife was much younger and was a widow when he married her.  She had children by a previous husband, and a difficulty concerning one of these was the immediate cause of the tragedy.

(John C. Ware married Mrs. Mary J. Floding on 7 Apr 1885, in Union Co., Ill.  Mary Jane Rinehart married George Floding on 13 Sep 1868, in Union Co., Ill.—Darrel Dexter)

Thursday, 1 Jul 1886:
C. A. Waterman lost his youngest child last week.  Thus God is gathering his jewels.

Died Tuesday at Olmstead, Mrs. Sarah R. Jaccard.  The deceased was a daughter of the late Dr. Arter and his first wife, and mother of Mrs. H. A. Hannon, of Cairo.

A jury at Belleville, St. Clair County, in the case of John Mitchell (colored), charged with murdering his wife last February, found him guilty recently and fixed punishment at imprisonment for life.
John C. Ware, aged seventy years, fatally shot his wife the other morning at Jonesboro, Union County, then committed suicide.
Succumbed to His Injuries.

METROPOLIS, ILL., June 28.—Carlos T. Inman, who was injured by the falling of a scaffold from the second story of his building, died yesterday morning at 2 o’clock and was buried today under the auspices of the Grand Army of the Republic.  His fellow sufferer, Richard Randall, is in a precarious condition.  Inman leaves a wife and two children.

Thursday, 8 Jul 1886:
Mr. William Stratton was called suddenly by telegraph last Monday to the mountains of East Tennessee (Mount Eagle) where his wife is at the point of death.  Miss Mamie Stratton and Master Paul left last Friday for the same destination.  Mrs. Stratton has had several severe hemorrhages of late and is very low.

Thursday, 15 Jul 1886:
At Coulterville, Randolph County, seventy persons were poisoned the other day by eating picnic ice cream. Four had already died and more were in a precarious condition.

On the cars at Jacksonville, Ill., last Saturday afternoon, July 10th, Mr. James R. Smith, of the firm of Smith Bros., Cairo, Ill.  Mr. Smith has had some kind of brain affection for perhaps a year.  At the time of the fire, when the store of Smith Bros. was consumed he was at Hot Springs, Ark., with his family.  He was called him by  telegraph at that time, but immediately went back.  Not deriving the benefit, which he expected from the treatment at Hot Springs, he soon returned to Cairo.  As his disease was a brain trouble his mind seemed to be affected.  Finally he was taken to a private insane asylum at Jacksonville.

The family soon became very much dissatisfied with his treatment there and his wife with an attendant went up after him.  He sank and died almost immediately after getting on board the cars.  They came on to Roodhouse where the body was laid in a coffin and thence they returned to Cairo, arriving at 1:20 Sunday morning.

The funeral last Sunday afternoon was conducted by the Odd Fellows and was very largely attended.  He leaves a young widow and one little child.

His life was insured to amount of $10,000 in cooperative companies.  He was cut off just in the prime of life.
Murder at Mt. Carmel.

Mt. Carmel was the scene of a foul murder on Saturday, July 3d.  Two brothers, Jake and Moses Ward, came over from Indiana to have the full enjoyment of Independence Day.  They drank deeply.  The elder one got drunk.  The marshal arrested him; he resisted.  John Pickert, a C. V. & C. fireman, was called to assist the officer.  They were compelled to use force.  The younger man then ran to the assistance of his brother, and a terrible fight ensued.  The younger brother stabbed Pickert with a knife and he died in an hour and a half.  The marshal was also cut but not dangerously.  The younger Ward is held for murder; the elder was only drunk and disorderly.

Thursday, 22 Jul 1886:
It is with most sincere regret that we record the death of Philip Sowers, who departed this life Saturday, July 17th, 1886.  Mr. Sowers was a substantial farmer and one of our most highly esteemed citizens, and his loss will be felt by the entire community.  He leaves a wife, two children and a host of friends to mourn his loss.  The funeral service occurred at the Mt. Pisgah Lutheran Church on Sunday, July 18, at 3 o’clock p.m.  The services were conducted by Rev. E. Kitch, who was assisted by Rev. George Metzger.  The remains were interred tin the Mt. Pisgah Cemetery.  Mr. Sowers was born June 15, 1846, making him 40 years, 1 month and 2 days old at the time of his death.
Charles A. Greig, an old citizen of Alexander County, a farmer living near Olive Branch, died Tuesday.  We have no particulars.
William Fitzgerald, a caulker at the Marine Ways at Mound City, while on a spree yesterday morning very early, got on the track of the C. V. & C. R.R. The early morning freight train came along, struck the man and mangled him horribly.  The doctors amputated his right leg.  His recovery is doubtful.  He has several children, but  his wife is dead.  His vital forces seem strong and he may pull through, though the shock was very great.
At Mound City, Pulaski County, the other evening some children were playing with a shotgun, when it was accidentally discharged, instantly killing a seven-year-old daughter of Captain Ed. Lawler.

Thursday, 29 Jul 1886:
DIED.—Mr. D. Y. Oliver, of Dongola, last week Tuesday.  Mr. Oliver was well known in both Union and Johnson counties as he had lived in both.  The Dongola correspondent of the Jonesboro Gazette states that his death was caused by a severe injury to one of his feet last winter—a large lump of coal falling on it.  It was a bad bruise but the thought of a fatal termination never occurred to anybody.  He leaves a wife and four children.
On Saturday last, in Dog Tooth Bend, in this county, Julian Pillow, who was several years ago implicated in the murder of a man named Coleman, shot his brother, Henry Pillow, placing ninety large shot grains in his back and hips, and inflicted what must prove fatal injuries.  Julian, after the shooting, escaped to Missouri.
Robert W. Miller Dead.

After a sickness of three weeks with erysipelas, Mr. Robert W. Miller succumbed to the fell destroyer and Tuesday night at 10:15 o’clock the spirit took its flight.

Mr. Miller was born in Jacksonville, Ill., Feb. 15th, 1830, and was consequently 56 years old last February.  In 1846 he entered the service of John W. Trover at Merdocia, Ill., and was with him two or three years.  In 1849 he went to California here he remained about eight years.  Returning from California in 1857, he immediately came to Cairo and formed a partnership with Capt. Trover who had previously come here.  He was a partner with Capt. Trover from 1857 to 1869.  He marred the lady whom he now leaves a widow, about the year 1863.  He leaves seven children, the youngest being only about six months old and now quite sick.

Mr. Miller held the position of President of the First National Bank of Cairo for some time—about 1874 and 1875.  He was a successful businessman, a good citizen, a tender husband and a kind father.  In his death Cairo has suffered a severe loss.  We cannot afford to lose men of the class to which he belonged.
Death of Rev. Ralph B. Hoyt.

The sad news of the death of Rev. Ralph Byron Hoyt, former rector of Trinity Church, in this city, which occurred Monday in the city of Springfield, was received here the same evening.  Mr. Hoyt has been suffering with Bright’s disease for some time past, and to this trouble were added malarial affections, contracted while a resident of Mt. Carmel.  Mr. Hoyt was married to Miss Virginia K. McKenzie, of this city on Thursday, Oct. 15, 1886, and since made his home at Mt. Carmel where he was in charge of St. Paul’s P. E. Church until compelled on account of health to vacate his place.  With his wife he came to this city and remained a day or two with her relatives and then went to Springfield where death has claimed him.  Rev. Mr. Hoyt was a popular minister in his church, beloved by the Bishop and his people and made friends of all acquaintances.  The remains will be brought here for interment, but we go to press too early to give the time and place of funeral ceremonies.  Mrs. Hoyt has the warm sympathies of her large circle of friends, who mourn with her in this sad hour of affliction.  The following dispatch appeared in the Globe Democrat of yesterday:

SPRINGFIELD, ILL., July 19.—The Rev. Ralph Byron Hoyt, late dean of McLeansboro, and located at Mt. Carmel, Ill., died in this city this evening of Bright’s disease, in his 42nd year.  His wife, formerly Miss Jennie McKenzie, of Mt. Vernon, Ill., is here and will take the remains to that place for interment.  The time of the funeral is not yet announced.  Mr. Hoyt has been ill for a long time, but his disease took a sudden malignant turn last Thursday and terminated as stated.—Mt. Vernon Register.

Mrs. Hoyt is a daughter of Mr. Joseph McKenzie of this city.

(Ralph Byron Hoyt married Virginia K. McKenzie on 22 Oct 1885, in Jefferson Co., Ill.—Darrel Dexter)
John W. Coogan, a prominent farmer of Tamaroa, Perry County, attacked his son-in-law, Harvey Miller, with a pitchfork in a quarrel a few days ago over some oats raised by them on shares, and was shot dead by Miller.


Thursday, 5 Aug 1886:
The two-year-old daughter of Mr. James Dial, of Dodds Township, Jefferson County, was found in a small goose pond dead a few evenings ago.  A coroner’s jury returned a verdict of accidental drowning.
Cyrus Hayes, a colored man well known in Cairo, died last Friday.  He was above the average in his race—a useful man—quite intelligent and always industrious.  He was a brother of Henry Thornton, late fireman at the Custom House, and now janitor in the Custom House at San Francisco.  The difference in their names arose from the fact that Henry Thornton insisted upon taking his father’s name, while Cyrus Hayes in accordance with the custom among slaves took his master’s name.
Resolutions of Respect.

At a meeting of the Board of Trade held today, July 30th, to take into consideration the loss by death of one of its members, the following preamble and resolutions were unanimously adopted.

WHEREAS, It has pleased the All Wise Providence to remove our brother, Robert W. Miller, form our midst, the demise of whom we deeply deplore.

Therefore resolved, That we extend our heartfelt sympathy to the bereft wife and children, who knew more of his zeal and worth as a husband and father than can be told, and to whom our warmest sympathies go out in unmeasured fullness.  Those who knew him best in his several relations in life, realize that in his death a good man has fallen asleep, and that the city of Cairo has lost an honorable businessman, a good citizen, and one we shall all miss and shoe void cannot be easily filled.

Resolved, That a page be set apart upon the minutes of this Board and these resolutions recorded thereon.

Resolved That a copy of these resolutions be furnished the family of the deceased, and also that the city papers be requested to publish the same.
W. P. Halliday,
C. Pink,
H.H. Candee

 Thursday, 12 Aug 1886:
James Riley, a vagrant, of Carmi, White County, knocked down Harvey Woolen, a friendless orphan, with a chair the other day.  The boy seized a double-barrel shot gun and shot Riley fatally in the stomach.  The boy is in jail.

Thursday, 19 Aug 1886:

Mr. John M. Cotter, a young businessman of the fifth ward, well known in Cairo, died suddenly Monday of a congestive chill.  His funeral was observed Wednesday and was largely attended.
Miss Alvena Lehning, youngest daughter of Mr. Jacob Lehning, died Tuesday evening of inflammatory rheumatism.  Funeral Wednesday.

(A marker in Cairo City Cemetery at Villa Ridge reads:  Alvena M. R. daughter of J. & R. Lehning Born Mar. 5, 1872, Died Aug. 17, 1886.—Darrel Dexter)

Thursday, 26 Aug 1886:
The news of the death of Dr. J. H. McLean, President of the St. L. M. & P. R.R. has spread pretty rapidly and caused much speculation as to whether his death will create any serious delay in the construction of the road.  It is reported by those who claim to be advised in the matter that his death will cause no delay as he owned but one-fifth of the capital stock and this amount was paid up in full.  Dr. McLean, however, was the originator and moving spirit in this enterprise.
The Grand Tower murderers, the Hickam brothers, were apprehended in their retreat on the Big Muddy last Saturday by the sheriff of Jackson County and a posse of men, and a considerable skirmish in which thirteen shots were fired the murderous villains were captured together with two confederates they had associated themselves for the purpose of opposing the authorities.  John Hickam, noted for the murder of a man in Cobden some years ago and a small penitentiary record, was the only one wounded, he receiving a shot in the hands.  It is a great pity that Jackson County, like Union, has abolished capital punishment, for such a high-handed murderer certainly demands the most severe punishment the law can inflict.

Mrs. Ella Brown, wife of William Brown, died at Thebes, Aug. 16th of consumption.  Everything has been done which could be done to prolong her life, but all in vain.  Mr. Brown spent the spring months with his wife in Texas, in hope that the dry, genial climate should heal her diseased lungs, but all in vain.  She came home a few weeks ago to die and quickly did death claim his victim.  Mr. Brown is a son of Martin Brown, county surveyor.

(William Brown married Ella Walcott on 14 Jun 1883, in Alexander Co., Ill.—Darrel Dexter)


Thursday, 2 Sep 1886:
After a long and painful illness one of our best citizens, Henry C. Lentz, departed this life Thursday, August 26, 1886.  Funeral services occurred at Mt. Pisgah Lutheran Church, the remains being interred in the cemetery adjoining, Rev. E. Kitch officiating.  Mr. Lentz was born Oct. 6, 1837, in the state of North Carolina, and came to southern Illinois when 8 years old.  For several years past he has been county surveyors of this county and justice of the peace in this township.  In religion he was a member of the Lutheran Church, in politics a staunch Republican, and in business and social life one of the men who adhered strictly to the Golden Rule.  Deceased leaves a wife and eight children, who have the sympathy of the entire community.
It is very hard for a murderer to escape.  The two Hickam boys of Jackson County evaded arrest for about six weeks, but they did not get away.  Sheriff Ross with a posse captured them about ten days ago.  With their father, they seem to be guilty of murder, most foul.  Sheriff Ross is to be congratulated upon his success in the capture of these desperate men without loss of life.
A very lamentable accident occurred four miles southeast of Cobden last Friday.  A boy some 16 or 17 years old named Hambrick, was in company with two other boys, 6 and 9 years respectively, named Cerney Hambrick had a pistol and it appears the 6-year-old boy was examining it—had cocked the pistol—and in Hambrick’s effort to recover the weapon, it went off, shooting the 6-year-old though the heart.  The evidence given at the inquest was conflicting and the coroner held Hambrick over.  Some claim it was a premeditated murder upon the part of Hambrick, but we are constrained to believe differently.  We will say, however, that it was the result of carelessness, and such accidents too often follow carrying weapons.
Died, at Charleston, Mo., Aug. 17, 1886, Benjamin F. Kenrick, aged 42 years,  of physical exhaustion caused by the heat.  He was a thoroughly educated man and clerk in the store of his father who is well known as one of the most prosperous merchants at Charleston.  The young man attended to business regularly until the evening before he died.

Thursday, 9 Sep 1886:
Died, last Saturday, 1 1/2 miles east of town (Anna), of congestive chill, Mr. Henry McGinnis.  Deceased was a promising young man and had been appointed to teach the Rich School, but alas, it is death that appoints the end of man.

Died, in this city, last Sunday morning, about three o’clock, of consumption, Mr. John W. Sides.  Deceased was a colored man of more than ordinary ability.  He has held the office of constable and perhaps other offices.  He was elected constable at the last election, but failed to qualify.  He has been in failing health for a long time and was at last compelled to yield to the fell disease which was gnawing at his vitals.  He had forfeited his membership in various societies of which he had been a member and a subscription was taken to defray the expense of his burial.  His funeral was largely attended on Monday.
William R. Hall.

Many old residents of Cairo will remember William R. Hall, who studied law in the office of Judge Olney about the year ‘65.  His home was in Shawneetown and he returned there after admission to the bar.  He finally abandoned the practice of law and engaged in commercial pursuits.  He died in St. Louis, Aug. 25th, where he was a member of the commission house of Westcott & Hall.  He was a Knight Templar and stood very high as a man of character and integrity.

Thursday, 16 Sep 1886:
Mr. John Johnson, a merchant of New Burnside, died last week Tuesday.  His death is a loss to that town.
Miss Imogene Steele, formerly of Cairo, died at her home in Chicago a few days ago.
DIED.—Miss Lucy Brown, daughter of Mr. Dick Brown, of Thebes, died there Monday, Sept. 13th, of typhoid fever.  She was to have been married to Harry Planert at the very hour of her death.
He Must Hang.

The jury in the case of Wilson, on trial at Jonesboro, for the murder of his wife, brought in a verdict of guilty last Saturday and fixed the penalty at death by hanging.  But this will be an innovation in Union County, and we think the murderer will get a new trial.  It was a very foul murder, however.

Thursday, 23 Sep 1886:
A most distressing accident occurred at this place (Cobden) last Friday morning by which Mr. “Gip” Walker lost his life.  Mr. Walker at the time of his death was engineer of V. R. Holladay’ & Co.’s Central Roller Mills, and occupied as a residence the old Gunther house in the western edge of town opposite the old brick kiln.  It has been at one time a farm house, probably when the country was new, and has for some time been in a more or less dangerous condition through the neglect of its owner to make the needed repairs.  The porch, we learn, was almost rotted away and was held up by props and stays of uncertain stability, which have way while Mr. W. was cleaning under the floor, precipitating the heavy timbers from above down on him, inflicting fatal injuries mostly about the head.  His wife heard the nose and came to the door.  He said, “Mother, I’m badly hurt, send for the doctor—quick.”  He then got up and went to the water bucket and took a drink, and then lay down on the bed and became at once unconscious, remaining so upon to the time of his death, Sunday night.  He was buried Tuesday by the G. A. R. Post of this place, whose organization he had but recently joined.
We learn that Mrs. Ice, wife of James W. Ice, living in Dog Tooth Bend, died a few days ago.
William Bean, aged 104 years, died in Gallatin County last Thursday.  He was supposed to be the oldest man in Illinois.  He was the father of 23 children.
Vienna Times.—Jerome B. Calvert, a prominent lawyer, Democratic politician and ex-master in chancery, of Williamson County, was shot by his wife, Martha J. Calvert, at Marion, last Saturday night.  Her name before her marriage to Calvert was Vineyard, and was a woman of bad reputation.  They lived together very unhappily and have been separated about four months.  Calvert was with another woman of scarlet character at the time of the shooting and a spirit of desperate jealousy caused his wife to commit the rash act.  Calvert is not expected to recover, and the woman is under arrest.

(Jerome B. Calvert married Mahala J. Vineyard on 19 Sep 1881, in Williamson Co., Ill.—Darrel Dexter)
William S. Wilson, who brutally murdered his wife in Union County, January 7 last, was found guilty at Jonesboro a few days ago and sentenced to death.  William Wilson is a shoemaker, sixty years of age.


Thursday, 30 Sep 1886:
Died on Monday, Sept. 27th, Marie, eldest daughter of Mr. and Mrs. T. Copfried.
Our town is agitated this morning over the shooting of Frank Burden by C. N. Jones with a double barrel shotgun.  At six o’clock Mr. Burden was on his way to market, and when on Third Street, opposite W. R. Shoemaker’s grocery, Mr. Jones issued forth from the grocery with gun in hand and fired the shot which brought his victim to the ground.  The second shot missed.  Mr. Burden was carried home with his head full of small buckshot and has not spoken though he seems to be conscious.  He is not expected to recover.  Mr. Jones gave himself into custody at once, and is now in the hands of the sheriff.  The cause of this tragical occurrence is the interference of Mr. Burden with Mr. Jones’ family relations.  He had been paying some attention to Mrs. Jones for two or three years.  Last spring Mrs. Jones and her husband separated.  She procured a divorce and married young Mr. Burden—hence the murder.

Mr. Burden was well connected and up to the time that his devotion and attention to Mrs. Jones became known he was a very popular young man, presumably the last to plunge two families into deep trouble.

LATER—Mr. Burden died at 8:30 this morning.

(John F. Burden married Mrs. Emma O. Shoemaker Jones  on 16 May 1886, in Massac Co., Ill.—Darrel Dexter)
Rev. J. J. Watson was called home from conference at Vandalia last Sunday night by a telegram announcing the death of his infant daughter.  The little one’s stay on earth was shot, when it was called home by Him who said, “Suffer the little children to come unto me.”  The sympathy of the entire community is extended to the bereaved parents.
Pulaski County mourns the loss of one of her best men—Mr. Samuel Spence.  Mr. Spence is well known throughout the county.  The Masonic fraternity conducted the funeral rites at Villa Ridge cemetery in the presence of a large concourse of friends.  He leaves a wife and one daughter to mourn his demise.
Mr. Samuel Spence of Villa Ridge, died on the 18th of September after a long illness.  He was form many years agent of the I. C. R. R. at Mound Junction.  he leaves a widow and one married daughter, the wife of M. F. Perks.

Thursday, 7 Oct 1886:
William Bean died recently at Ridgway, Gallatin County, at the age of 104 years. He was the father of twenty-four children, the youngest of whom was born when the patriarch was eighty years old.
A terrible tragedy occurred at Chalfin Bridge, Monroe County, the other day.  Edward Clark, aged eighteen, had been paying some attention to the fifteen-year-old daughter of Chris Fultz, in opposition to the wishes of the latter.  Young Clark was ordered out of the Fultz house, and went, but shortly afterward returned, when the girl’s parents were absent, and shot the girl dead, and then put an end to his own life in a similar manner.
At Metropolis, Massac County, the other morning, Caleb N. Jones killed J. Frank Burden on the street.  The victim had married the divorced wife of Jones and taken his children.
The death sentence was pronounced upon Wilson, the wife murderer, at Jonesboro last Saturday by Judge Harker.
Mrs. Miller, widow of the late Robert W. Miller, has purchased a residence at Oak Park, in the suburb of Chicago, and will remove there soon with her family.
The steamboat LaMascotte, plying between St. Louis and Cape Girardeau, exploded her boilers Tuesday noon at Crawfords twenty five miles above Cape Girardeau, killing about twenty persons.  The boat was new and very fast.

Thursday, 14 Oct 1886:
James E. Short, an old citizen, 81 years of age, died in this city (Metropolis) last Friday morning of cancer.
Wilson, the wife murderer, of Union County, was sentenced by Judge Harker to be hanged Nov. 12th, between the hours of 1 and 6 o’clock p.m.
OBITUARY.—We regret to not the death of Miss Mary Clancy, a young woman 18 years of age, daughter of Mr. Patrick Clancy.  She was sick but a short time.
Two bodies were found in the river near Bird’s Point last night, supposed to be victims of the Mascotte disaster.  One was the body of a young woman, believed to be Miss Lind.  The other was a colored man.

Thursday, 21 Oct 1886:
A little colored girl named Nannie Chapman, aged eight years, living on Washington Ave., between 13th and 14th streets, died Tuesday of consumption.

Thursday, 28 Oct 1886:
The little daughter of Mrs. L. E. Williamson died Sunday evening of putrid sore throat.


Thursday, 4 Nov 1886:
The funeral services Wednesday afternoon of Judge Robinson’s daughter, Florence M. Robinson, were very largely attended.  Miss Robinson had been ill for sometime but her death was sudden, and a shock to her friends.  She was a lovely girl, just in the fresh bloom of youth in her death, her parents have suffered a great loss, in which they have the sympathy of the whole community.

Hon. Walter B. Scates, died at Evanston, Ill., Oct. 26, of paralysis, in his 79th years.  He was born in Virginia, removed to Illinois about the year 1832 and has resided in this state since that time.  He was for a time one of the judges of the Supreme Court and has always sustained the reputation of an honest man.  He leaves a large family.
Died, Tuesday night, of bilious fever, at his residence on the west side (of Cobden) Mr. William Thomson, aged 46 years.  Mr. Thompson was formerly from Connecticut and was employed here in Frank Rethey’s butcher shop.  He leaves a young wife whom he married but about three months ago.

Thursday, 11 Nov 1886:
We are sorry to record the death of William H. Moore, of this city, who died Monday afternoon from injuries received Oct. 20th, near Clarendon, Arkansas.  Mr. Moore went out as fireman upon the first train which left Cairo after the gauge of the St. Louis Ark. & Texas Ry. was changed.  At Clarendon the train ran off the broad gauge track.  The engineer was killed and Moore badly injured.  He lingered until Monday and died and was buried Wednesday.  He leaves a young widow to mourn his untimely death.
Mr. A. B. Womack, a farmer of this county living in Simpson Township and one of the county commissioners, died very suddenly at his home last Thursday.  A new election to fill the vacancy will be ordered at once.

Thursday, 18 Nov 1886:
We learn just before going to press that a jury has at last been obtained in the Arnet-Newton murder trial now in progress at Vienna.
Mrs. Elizabeth Hendrickson, of Williamson County, celebrated her one hundredth birthday, Sunday Nov. 7th.  Three hundred and sixty-five relatives were present.
Mr. Isaac M. Kelly, brother of Capt. John Kelly and uncle of Capt. William M. Murphy, sheriff-elect, died suddenly in Franklin County last week.  Uncle Ike Kelly was known everywhere throughout Southern Illinois and was universally respected by all who knew him.
Young Shirley Hill, son of Mr. J. Wagley Hill, died suddenly last Saturday evening of pneumonia.  He was a bright, active young fellow, about 18 years of age, and his death was sudden and unexpected.  Funeral services were held Sunday and the remains were taken to Fairfield, Ill., for burial.
The infant child of Mr. and Mrs. Isaac Coffee died last night.
Wilson, the wife murderer of Union County, expiated his crime upon the gallows at Jonesboro last Friday.  This is the first execution in that county for a great many—probably thirty—years.  The punishment was terrible but no language can express the horrors of the crime.  A woman, his wife, the mother of his children, enceinte by him, is shot dead without the least provocation.  “Whoso sheddeth man’s blood by man shall his blood be shed.”  This law has never been repealed.
At Pinckneyville, Perry County, after a trial lasting over six days, the case of Delilah Henson and William R. Henson, charged with poisoning John B. Henson, husband of Delilah, was given to the jury a few afternoons ago, and the next morning they returned a verdict of not guilty.

Thursday, 25 Nov 1886:
Mr. Sam Myers’ little son died Monday night.
Mrs. Wallar, wife of Rev. J. L. Wallar, now residing at Centralia, is suffering intensely from cancer, which can only be endured by the constant use of narcotics.
Mrs. Coe, wife of Rev. Mr. Coe, formerly rector of the Church of the Redeemer in this city, died about two weeks ago at their home in Danville, Ill., after a painful illness of several months.
The trial of Arnett and the Newtons at Vienna for murder lasted thirteen days and ended last Saturday night with a verdict of acquittal.  The evidence was purely circumstantial and was not sufficient to convict.
It is with great sorrow that we announce the death of Mr. D. Barnum of Villa Ridge.  He died last Thursday morning of malarial fever after an illness of several weeks.  The funeral services were held Friday by Rev. R. W. Purdue.  Mr. Barnum was a highly respected citizen. He was a carpenter by trade and a fruit grower.  He was well known in Cairo and through southern Illinois generally.
A horrible accident occurred about four miles east of Vienna last week Tuesday.  A little child of Mr. and Mrs. J. W. Shinn, which had just learned to roll and crawl about over the floor, was left alone while the mother went to the orchard to get some apples.  On her return she found that the child crawled to the fire and was nearly burned to a crisp from the waist down.  Medical aid was called but the child soon died.
Capt. J. S. Taylor, for a long time a postal clerk upon the Illinois Central R.R. died suddenly of pneumonia at Centralia last Friday morning.  Capt. Taylor was known to almost everybody in southern Illinois.  His funeral was attended in the Baptist church on Sunday and he was buried by Wallace Post G. A. R.  The old soldiers are rapidly passing away.  Twenty-one years have elapsed since they were mustered out of the service.  Very many of them have answered the last roll call.  In twenty-one years more the greater part of them will be gone.  Capt. Taylor was in Cairo, apparently in his usual health about two weeks ago.  He was very happy over the result of the recent elections.  We little thought then that we looked upon his face for the last time.  His final summons came and he was ready.
William W. Wilson, who murdered his wife in Jonesboro on the 7th of January last, was hanged at Anna, Union County a few afternoons ago.  This was the first hanging in that county since 1833.  It was said that Wilson was a member of the One hundred and Twenty-eighth Illinois Volunteer infantry and served three years.
A most horrible accident occurred four mile east of here (Vienna) last Monday.  An infant son of J. C. Shinn was left alone in the room near the fireplace and it rolled into the fire burning it to a crisp from the waist.
Died, Saturday night, little Eugene Glynes, aged four months and a few days.  Mrs. Glynes was visiting a week or so among friends when the little one was attacked with croup and in spite of all that kind friends and physician could do he grew worse till death relieved him of all pain.  The funeral services were most interesting and impressive as the corpse was carried into the church the “Watson family” sang “We Shall Sleep but not Forever” when a perfect stillness prevailed.  The discourse though short was full of tender appeal and pathos, after which “Pass under the rod” was rendered most effectively.  Mr. and Mrs. Glynes have the sympathy of everyone in our vicinity (Elco) in this their most sad bereavement.  May they and we exclaimed, “Thy will, not mine be done.”


Thursday, 2 Dec 1886:
Last week two old citizens passed away:  Jacob Rendleman, Sr., in his seventy-eighth year, and George W. Austen, in his eighty-third years.  The former had resided on the same farm seventy-two years; the latter came from Watertown, Wisconsin, on the breaking out of the Civil War; and for thirty years lived on a farm adjoining Mr. Rendleman’s  Thus the fathers, in their ripe old age, have been called to rest from labor and the grim messenger summoned two of the oldest citizens in one neighborhood to pay nature’s debt.—Jonesboro Gazette
Capt. Thomas Wilson.

Our new postmaster, Capt. Thomas Wilson, died at Eureka Springs last Friday morning.  The remains were brought on o Cairo where funeral services were held last Sunday at the residence of the deceased, and were interred at Beech Grove Cemetery.  Capt. Wilson had been failing for several months.  He was a native of England, but had lived in this country since 1835, and in city of Cairo since 1854.  He took charge of the Cairo Post Office on the first day of September, but has failing constantly and Mr. George F. Ort has been the responsible man in charge of the office.
Mrs. M. E. Harrell.

Mrs. M. E. Harrell, widow of the late Isaac L. Harrell, died suddenly last Saturday and was buried Sunday at Charleston, Mo.  She had been in feeble health for a long time but her speedy death was not looked for.
Fay McClure.

A little 9-year-old daughter of Mr. J. R. McClure died of diphtheria last Saturday and was buried Tuesday.  The attending physician ordered at once that the other children of the family be excluded entirely from the room of the afflicted one, and though many days have elapsed since she was attacked, they seem perfectly well and will probably escape unharmed.
William P. Pettis.

A little five-year-old son of Mr. W. B. Pettis died Monday of disease closely resembling diphtheria.  The people generally believe the disease to be diphtheria.  Two other children of Mr. Pettis occupied the same room with the one who has died and are sick with the same disease.  The family thus afflicted have the deep sympathy of our community.
DIED.—Fay, daughter of J. R. and S. R. McClure, November 27th, 1886, at 7 a.m., aged 8 years, 7 months, and 20 days.
At Preston, Randolph County, George and John Seal, brothers, quarreled a few nights ago over the question of chastising their brother-in-law, Barlin Ledbetter.  Blows were exchanged and John drew a knife and fatally cut his brother.  Ledbetter next interfered and was also fatally cut by the fratricide, who then made his escape.

(Berlin Ledbetter married Alice Ann Ray on 6 Sep 1886, in Randolph Co., Ill.—Darrel Dexter)
Samuel Keelin who was convicted of murder in Saline County in 1875 and was sentenced to prison for the term of his natural life, was released the other evening, his sentence having been commuted by the governor to eighteen year and a half.  This was still further reduced by good conduct.
Recent papers publish an account of a railroad accident near Champaign, Ill., in which Albert Dunlap lost his life.  Mr. Dunlap was well known here (Cobden) and was related by marriage to Mr. G. H. Baker our fellow townsman.  Both families have the sympathy of our entire community.
Mrs. Dr. J. M. C. Damron died last Friday morning at her home in this city.  She had been an invalid for some time.

Thursday, 9 Dec 1886:
We learn from the Pulaski Patriot that Mr. Israel Sanderson , of Pulaski, is apparently drawing near the end of his life.  His health has been poor for many years, but now he cannot leave his room.
Mr. Joseph Hodge, the father of Mrs. French, who keeps the boarding house on 18th Street, died Sunday morning and was buried Monday.  Mr. Hodge was very old, probably about 80 years, and had been ailing for a long time.  He had been a member of the Presbyterian church for many years.
Death of Mrs. Nelson.

Mrs. Nelson, widow of Dr. David Nelson, author of the “Cause and Cure of Infidelity,” died at her home near Quincy, Ill., last Saturday, aged 88 years.

Her husband a most remarkable man, died some years ago.  His work on infidelity gives his own experience and is a book of wonderful interest.  Every young man should read it.
Hon. R. A. Hatcher, ex-member of Congress, died at his residence in this city (Charleston, Mo.) Friday morning, Dec. 3d.  His funeral service was held at the M. E. church Sunday morning.  The deceased having been a prominent member of that church for a number of years.

Thursday, 23 Dec 1886:
Dr. Benjamin F. Ross, of Cobden, died Dec. 15th, of consumption, as the result of pneumonia three years ago.
Friends of Martin Koenig, an alleged horse thief, who died recently in the prison at Carlyle, Clinton County, have bought suit against the county for $5,000 damages, claiming that lack of proper ventilation in the jail caused Koenig’s death.
Mr. James Birdsall, an old citizen of Alton, died recently at Chesterfield, Ill.  His remains were taken to Alton for burial.
Died, Monday morning, Dec. 20th, of consumption, Mrs. Samuel Harris. (Cobden)

Thursday, 30 Dec 1886:
Diabolical Outrage.

The saloon at the corner of 27th Street and Commercial Avenue was the scene last Sunday night, about midnight, of one of the most fiendish outrages that ever occurred in Cairo.

Henry Hays, the barkeeper, and young Tom Meehan must have some fun to wind up their Christmas frolic.  Hays was recently discharged from the penitentiary for cow stealing.  A negro named Tom Spicer, a porter about the saloon, was their victim.  They had been in the habit of fooling with him before.  Heretofore their fun had been harmless, but now they must have a grand practical joke.  They chase the fellow around the saloon, catch him, place him upon the billiard table, and while Tom Meehan holds him down upon his back, Hays locks the door, puts the key in his pocket, gets a pint bottle of turpentine from behind the bar, unbuttons his clothing and sprinkles the turpentine upon his person and upon his clothes from his neck to his feet.  Having thus prepared the subject of their joke for the sacrifice the curtain raises and the play beings.

Hays says:  “Tom, I guess we’ll fire him.”  The negro protested struggled and tried to get away.  A bystander sprang forward and said, “Don’t do that.”  Quick as a flash Hays struck a match and applied it to the turpentine.  The man is wrapped in flames and cries out in agony.  When too late these practical jokers shall we call them? became frightened and attempt to extinguish the flames.  In this they are finally successful.  They did not send for a physician. They apply sweet oil and do what they can.  Somebody conveys the information to Spicer’s wife that he is nearly burned to death.  She comes over and takes him home.  The next day our health officer hears of the case and sends Dr. Sullivan to see the man.  All that medical skill can do is done, but on Tuesday the man dies.

The young men, Hays and Meehan, are in jail.  They were brought before Judge Comings yesterday for a preliminary examination, but took a change of venue to Judge Robinson.  The examination will be held today at the courthouse.
W. H. Simmons, a farmer living in the western part of Johnson County, shot himself the other night in the presence of his family.  Domestic trouble was assigned as the cause.
Nathan Riley, a veteran soldier, dropped dead on a Cairo, Vincennes & Chicago train the other night near Carmi, White County.  It was supposed he was on his way to the Soldiers’ Home at Dayton, Ohio, as he had a through ticket to that place and paid pension vouchers in his pocket.
John Bain Dead.

Died at Vienna, Ill., Dec. 28th, 1886, at 9:30 p.m. in the 70th year of his age of liver complaint, Mr. John Bain.  He would have been exactly seventy years old had he lived until February next.  He had enjoyed a tolerable health up to almost the very last.  He ate a Christmas dinner with his family and seemed to enjoy the society of his children, who gathered under the paternal roof, but death came suddenly and snatched him away.

The deceased has been a prominent merchant in Vienna, for about fifty years, and almost a lifelong member of the Methodist Church.  He leaves six children—three sons and three daughters.  His daughters are all married—one to Mr. Jackson, partner with Mr. Bain in the dry goods business at Vienna, one to Judge Harker and one to Mr. Walter Warder of Cairo.

Our of a family of seven children Mr. Bain was the first to die.  The youngest of the family being now in his sixty-sixth year.  He was a man of the highest character and of sterling integrity.  The name of John Bain was only known to be respected.  He was originally a strong antislavery man, an ardent Republican and recently a pronounced Prohibitionist.  He had been successful in business and had accumulated a small fortune.  His estate will probably amount to $100,000.  A large part of this is invested in the U.S. 4 percent bonds.  He probably left no will.  In this event his property will be evenly divided among his children, giving each of them a good start in life.

When death’s messenger called the old man could promptly response “Ready” and he went down to his grave like a shock of corn fully ripe and ready for the sickle.  Pleasant memories will always cluster around the name John Bain.
Mr. Littell, living one mile west of town (Dongola), who has been sick for several weeks, died and was buried last week at the burial ground near Karraker schoolhouse.  Mr. Littell is an old pioneer in this county and for many years has been among our most useful and respected citizens, a strict member of the Christian denomination, practicing, in his daily walks of life, the teachings he believed in.  He leaves an aged wife and host of friends to mourn his loss.
Nettie A., the second child of Mr. and Mrs. A. J. Miller, died Monday at 8 a.m. of diphtheria, aged 1 year, 2 months, and 12 days.  Interment in Cobden Cemetery at 10 a.m. 


The Weekly Cairo Bulletin

Wednesday, 21 Apr 1886:
A Cairo negro named Jesse Wallace has been arrested in St. Louis charged with the murder of the captain of the watch on the steamer Arkansas City some time ago. He was to have been married to a young woman in this city soon. 

Cairo Index Page

Next Page