HHS Quarterly General Meeting
October 11, 2010
President Ken Bushnell called the meeting to order at 7 pm and welcomed everyone.
A review of the treasurer's report was given by Dave Maroo. The current balance is $9.594.09. Dave Maroo told of the Hinckley Historical Society being a recipient of a charitable trust fund from the Jack and Jane Leifheit estate through the National Bank and Trust of the amount of $1,500.00 a year till the money runs out.
Membership: Tim Weissenborn asked for members to check the spread sheet for corrections and see if your dues are up to date.
Historical: Dolores Bastian spoke of the antique display case given by Lisa Coffey before she moved. A local farmer is donating a mastadon tooth for display. She was requesting volunteers to staff the museum on Saturdays when it is open.
Ways and Means report: Joelle Wake-Cooper spoke about the German style dinner that will be held on October 20th. It will be held at the Hinckley Communtity Building on Maple Street. It will be a dine in / take out meal. Joelle Wake-Cooper will be selling tickets after this meeting. The quilt raffle was discussed. The tickets sold for $1.00 a piece or 6 for $5.00. The drawing will be held on December 3rd 2010, during the Hinckley Christmas tree lighting night.
Programs report: Kris Kestila-Ohnstad explained tonight's program. Kristy Skelly-Sternes told of what the program will be for the next quarterly meeting in January. It will be called "What the heck is this night". No outside speaker will be used as the weather is so unpredictable. Ideas for programs were requested; please let Kris Kestila-Ohnstad or Kristy Skelly-Sternes know.
Ken Bushnell introduced the two new board members. Kristy Skelly-Sternes taking over for Kyle Lambes and Cindee Johnson taking over for Lisa Coffey as secretary.
The meeting was adjourned by President Ken Bushnell.
Highlights of the program: (slide show was used during the program)
Jerry Bahl about the Greenwood cemetery. It is also called the Squaw Grove Cemetery. There are no leaf bearing trees. It opened in 1878.George Hubert stated that the Imanuel Lutheran Church Cemetery on Lee road opened in 1901 as a religious cemetery. Only former members of the church and current members can be buried there. Sandi Frost is on the board of the Miller Cemetery. John Siebrese is buried there, as is John Esterbrooks, Howard Kaus, Imas Mack and Ray Shaw. Kris Kestila-Ohnstad and Kristy Skelly-Sternes spoke about what the symbolism means on some of the head stones shown. There was a head stone there to make a rubbing from.
Respectfully prepared and submitted by Cindee Johnson