Old Courthouse Museum
103 West Cherry Street
Watseka, IL 60970-1524
HENRY CLAY FRAME, who owns and operates two hundred and eighteen acres of land on sections 16 and 17, Milford Township, was born in Warren County, Ind., February 23, 1845, and is one of a family of nine children, whose parents were Samuel M. and
Vitriah (Ammerman) Frame. The father was a native of Ohio, and the mother was born in Kentucky. The members of their family were as follows: Eliza J., born June 16, 1840, is the wife of Alexander Shaw, a resident of Huntington County, Ind.; Celia, born November 25, 1841, is the wife of James Curtis, by whom she has five children, and their home is in Milford; Rachel C., who was born October 23, 1843, and is the widow of Allen Simpson, resides in Warren County, Ind.; Henry Clay is next younger; Mary M., born June 28, 1847, died in October, 1890; Minerva A., born December 3, 1849, is the wife of Dr. Columbus C. Cronkhite, a resident physician of Marion, Ind., by whom she has six children, four yet living; John M., born June 21, 1851, died in infancy; Caroline, born February 17, 1854, resides with her mother in Warren County, Ind. Samuel M., Jr., who was born February 23, 1856, and resides in West Lebanon, Ind., married Miss Martha French, and unto them were born four children, two of whom are yet living. Samuel M. Frame, Sr., was called to his final rest September 17, 1892.
The early life of our subject was quietly passed in his native State, no event of special importance occurring to vary the routine of farm life until August, 1863, when, at the age of eighteen years, he responded to the country's call for troops. He enlisted among the boys in blue of Company H, One Hundred and Sixteenth Indiana Infantry, and served for six months, being mustered out on the 4th of March, 1864. He then returned to his home, and for some time longer was a resident of his native State.
Mr. Frame has been twice married. On the 20th of October, 1870, he wedded Miss Ellen J. Siddens, daughter of William Siddens, of Warren County, Ind. Unto them were born five children: Frank L., born August 14, 1871; Eva V., November 21, 1873; Edward M., May 11, 1876; Lydia A., December 17, 1878; and Ada E., February 12, 1883. The mother of this family was called to her final rest August 1, 1888. The lady who now bears the name of Mrs. Frame was in her maidenhood Miss Mary Thomas, daughter of Benjamin F. and Amanda (Hoover) Thomas, of Milford. Their wedding was celebrated on the 6th of March, 1889, and their union has been blessed with two children: Thomas Ray, born June 7, 1890; and Samuel Porter, December 24, 1891.
In 1875, Mr. Frame severed all business connections in Warren County, Ind., and with his family removed to this county. He embarked in farming in Stockland Township, where he purchased an eighty?acre tract of land, making it his home for a period of eight years. He also carried on stock?raising on an extensive scale. For about ten years he has resided upon his present farm in Milford Township, where two hundred and eighteen acres of highly cultivated land yield to him a golden tribute in return for the care and cultivation he bestows upon them.
Mr. Frame exercises his right of franchise in support of the Republican party, and for two terms, 1885 and 1886, was the efficient Supervisor of his township. He takes a considerable interest in civic societies and holds membership with Milford Lodge No. 168, A. F. & A. M.; Farmers' Lodge No. 152, I. O. O. F.; and Vennum Post No. 471, G. A. R. Mrs. Frame is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. The same fidelity and faithfulness which led him to enter the service of his country when a mere lad characterized his life, and is that which prompts him now to always be found in the front rank of any worthy enterprise calculated to improve and upbuild the community.
HENRY C. WOLGAST, a member of the firm of Wolgast & Wolgast, dealers in general merchandise, resides in Danforth. This firm has an extensive business and well-established patronage and carries a fine stock of goods. They have been located here for three years and are considered one of the most reliable and enterprising business firms in the town. Our subject was born in Holstein, Germany, December 31, 1861, and is the son of Christian Wolgast. The father was also a native of Holstein and was there reared to manhood. When he arrived at man's estate he married Dora Wolgast, of the same country. He was a tailor by trace and spent his life engaged in that occupation. He reared his family in Germany, and there the death of both himself and wife occurred.
The early years of Henry C. Wolgast were passed in the land of his birth and he was blessed with good common?school advantages. In 1881, starting from Bremen, he took passage on a steamer bound for New York City and on the 2d of June, that year, first set foot upon the shores of America. He went directly West and located in Danforth, Ill. For the first year he engaged in farming, which was his first experience in that line of business. He had learned the carpenter's trade in the Fatherland and had worked at it for five years previous to coming to America. He now engaged for two years at his trade, and spent about six months in Kankakee in the same business. Next he went to Chicago, working at carpentering for about a year and a?half and then returned to New York City where he made his home for about the months.
While Mr. Wolgast was in New York, he married Miss Pauline Reimer, the date of the ceremony being August 29, 1886. Mrs. Wolgast is a daughter of Martin Reimer, a mechanic of New York, and her birth occurred in Hamburg, Germany, where she grew to womanhood and received a good education. Three children grace the union of our worthy subject and his wife: Dora, Freddie and Walter.
After his marriage, in 1886, Mr. Wolgast returned to Danforth and engaged in the furniture business for about two years, in which he was very successful. He then sold out and worked at his trade during the following year. In May, 1889, the present partnership of Wolgast & Wolgast was formed, and in this undertaking he has been most successful. By their fair dealing and progressive spirit this firm have won well?deserved popularity and they rank high among the business men of Danforth. Mr. Wolgast has held several local official positions and bas been Village Treasurer for the past three years. He has always given complete satisfaction to his constituents and has ever shown in his discharge of the duties incident to such positions that he has the welfare and interests of the people at heart. He is a public?spirited man and is ever in the front rank of those who endeavor to promote the welfare of city, county and State. Mr. and Mrs. Wolgast are esteemed members of the German Lutheran Church of Danforth, and are ever ready to lend a helping hand to the poor and depressed.
LOUIS D. FRAZEE, an honored veteran of the late war and one of the early settlers of the county, who now follows farming on section 18, Ridgeland Township, was born on the 5th of March, 1837, in Newark, N. J., and is one of ten children, whose parents were Turner and Martha (Meeker) Frazee. Of the family a more complete sketch is given in connection with that of Frederick S. Frazee.
The subject of this sketch was less than two years of age when his parents left New Jersey and removed to Ohio, where he was reared to manhood. He attended the common schools until nearly eighteen years of age, receiving a good business education, which well fitted him for the practical duties of life. In 1857 the family came to Illinois, and since that time he has been a resident of Iroquois County. He worked for his brother, Frederick S., for three years and then purchased an interest in the farm which he had been cultivating. His present farm comprises one hundred and sixty acres, and has been his home since 1880.
Mr. Frazee was one of the boys in blue of the late war. Prompted by patriotic impulses, he responded to the call for troops September 24, 1861, and was assigned to Company C, Fifty?seventh Illinois Infantry. The first important battle in which he participated was at Ft. Donelson. He was afterward engaged in the battle of Shiloh, took part in the siege of Corinth, was under fire at the battles of Town Creek, Resaca, Kingston., Rome, Altoona Pass, Savannah, Columbus and Bentonville, being in all in over thirty engagements. He was also with Sherman's army on its celebrated march to the sea. At the battle of Shiloh he was wounded in the left arm at the elbow by a minie?ball and was forced to remain in the hospital from the 6th of April to the 28th of May. After the battle of Corinth, be was promoted to be Corporal, and on the 1st of June, 1865, be was honorably discharged, having served for three and a?half years. With the exception of the time when he was confined by his wound, he was always found at his post, faithfully discharging the duties allotted to him.
An important event in the life of Mr. Frazee occurred on the 2d of January, 1871, when was celebrated his marriage with Miss Eliza Robinson, daughter of Thomas and Charlotte (McNeen) Robinson. Mrs. Frazee is one of nine children. James, the eldest of the family, who was one of the boys in blue of Company D, Eighty?eighth Illinois Infantry, died in 1862, giving his life in defense of his country; Margaret died September 9, 1870; Eliza is the next younger; Emma and Carleton are both deceased; Harriet died in 1852; Sarah went to Oregon; Thomas engaged in farming in Nobles County, Minn.; and Mary is the wife of Elmer Koon, a resident farmer of this county. The father of this family died in 1869, but the mother is still living.
Unto Mr. and Mrs. Frazee have been born eight children, but Floda, the third in order of birth, died in infancy. Those still living are Herbert B., Irene E.; Mattie E., a student of Onarga Seminary; Charles D., Sadie L., Nellie C. and Louis L. The family is widely and favorably known in tire community. The parents are both members of the Baptist Church. In politics, Mr. Frazee is a stanch Republican, and, socially, is a member of W. A. Babcock Post No. 416, G. A. R., of Onarga. The years of his manhood have all been passed in this locality, and that his life has been an honorable, upright one is attested by the fact that he has so many warm friends in this community.
Parker T. Eastburn
|PARKER T. EASTBURN, now residing in Sheldon, has an honor which few of his years can claim, that of being a native of Iroquois County. He was born on the old Eastburn homestead on the 20th of November, 1837, and is a representative of one of the most prominent pioneer families of the county. His parents, Joseph B. and Sarah (Truitt) Eastburn, wore both natives of Adams County, Ohio. The father of our subject was a farmer by occupation and followed that business through the greater part of his life. The year 1831 witnessed his emigration to Iroquois County, which was then an almost unbroken wilderness, the improvements which had been made being few indeed. Here he spent the remainder of his life and bore the usual experiences and hardships of the frontier, but he was a man of excellent business abilities and a very successful farmer, who at the time of his death was tire owner of over five hundred acres of farming land in this county, besides other property interests. He passed away in 1849.|
The subject of this sketch is the third in order of birth in a family of nine children, four of whom are now living. Two brothers, W. L. and Allen M., still reside in this county, and David C. is now a resident of Nobles County, Minn.
Parker Eastburn has known no other home than this community. He was reared to manhood upon his father's farm and with the family shared all the trials of pioneer life. He was early inured to the arduous task of developing new land, and when a young boy became familiar with farm work in all its details. His early education, acquired in the district schools of the neighborhood, was supplemented by a college course, and he was thus well fitted for the practical duties of life and its responsibilities. At the age of twenty years he commenced farming and stock?raising for himself, and to this labor devoted his energies successfully for some years. He always kept his farm under a high state of cultivation and the well-tilled fields yielded to him a golden tribute in return for the care and cultivation which he bestowed upon them.
|On the 9th of August, 1871, Mr. Eastburn was united in marriage with Miss Julia A. Moore, daughter of Philip and Margaret (Smith) Moore. She was born July 25, 1843, in Scioto County, Ohio. By their union has been born a family of four children, three of whom are yet living, as follows: Luther F., Clara and James. The Eastburn household is the abode of hospitality, and the members of the family rank high in the social circles in which they move.|
Julia A. Eastburn
In his political affiliations, Mr. Eastburn is a Republican having supported that party since he attained his majority. He has been honored with several public offices of trust, having served as Assessor for five years, Supervisor for two terms, and is now School Trustee of his township. He discharges his duties in an able manner, with credit to himself and to the satisfaction of his constituents. For a period of fifty?five years, Mr. Eastburn has resided in this county and has witnessed almost its entire growth and upbuilding he has seen its wild lands transformed into beautiful homes and farms, its hamlets converted into thriving towns, while churches and schools have been built and the work of progress and civilization has been carried forward so rapidly that scarcely a landmark of pioneer days yet remains. He has ever borne his part in the work of advancement, and has proved a valued citizen, who has the high regard of all who know him.
ELIAS JULIAN, one of the enterprising and progressive farmers of Sheldon Township, residing on section 9, owns and operates one hundred and forty acres of arable land, and the well?tilled fields yield to him a golden tribute in return for his care and cultivation. A native of the Buckeye State, be was born on the 27th of February, 1846, and is the eldest child of Absalom and Nancy (Flanagan) Julian. His father was a native of Pennsylvania and at an early day emigrated Westward to Ohio, locating in Pickaway County, where he long made his home. He was twice married, the mother of our subject being his second wife. Four children were born of the first union, and Elias is the eldest of a family of three. In 1875, the father left Ohio and came to Iroquois County, Ill., where he spent the remainder of his days, his death occurring December 23, 1880.
We now take up the personal history of our subject, who in his youth attended the district schools in the neighborhood in which he resided and concluded his literary education by several terms' attendance in the graded schools of Tarlton, Ohio. At the age of nineteen, he started out in life for himself, and from 1865 until 1870 was engaged in trading speculations in the State of Missouri. On the expiration of that period he disposed of his business interests in Missouri and came to Iroquois County, Ill., where he has since resided. His energies he has devoted to farming and stock?raising, and he now owns one of the valuable and desirable farms of this locality. The land is under a high state of cultivation and he has made many substantial improvements. The stock which he raises is of good grades and the place is complete in all its appointments.
On the 25th of January, 1872, Mr. Julian was united in marriage with Miss Hattie Dressback, daughter of William Dressback, a native of Pickaway County, Ohio, and their union has been blessed with eight children, four sons and four daughters, namely: Milton, Milo, Guy, Arthur L., Cynthia, Amanda, Nancy, and Ruth. The family circle yet remains unbroken and the children are still under the parental roof.
Mr. Julian votes the Republican ticket and is a member of the Patriotic Order of Sons of America. He has never been an aspirant for office, but his popularity in the county would secure him almost any local position had he any desires in that direction. The only public position that he has filled is that of Road Commissioner, in which he has served for many years. He is a man of positive convictions and is always ready to encourage any enterprise calculated to prove of public benefit. He holds an interest in the Farmers' Elevator at Sheldon, which is doing a good business and has proved of much benefit to the agriculturists of the community. Mr. Julian is classed among the prosperous farmers of the township and is numbered among its best citizens.
HENRY AUGUSTUS BUTZOW, who is Deputy County Clerk, and a leading citizen of Watseka, was born in Mecklenburg?Schwerin, Germany, on the 9th of July, 1834. His parents, Ludwig and Sophia (Wille) Butzow, were also natives of that country, and there spent their entire lives, his father being a teacher for forty?five years.
Our subject was born and reared in a rural village, and at an early age was trained in the labors connected with the development of the land. His education was acquired in the common schools and under the instruction of private tutors. When a young man of twenty years, he determined to try his fortune in America. Bidding good?bye to home and friends, he crossed the broad Atlantic in a sailing?vessel, which at length dropped anchor in New York Harbor. Landing on the shores of the New World, he went to Oneida County, N. Y., where he worked by the month for some time. He then came to Illinois, and locating in Chebanse Township engaged in farming. His first purchase of land consisted of a tract in the town of Iroquois, and in 1857 he bought a part of his present farm in the same township, which he has increased to a tract of one hundred and sixty acres, on which he now makes his home.
In 1860, however, Mr. Butzow abandoned farming and went to St. Louis Mo., where he learned the carpenter's trade, which he followed in that city and in St. Clair County, Ill., until his enlistment for the late war. Donning the blue on the 2d of March, 1862, he joined Company G, Twenty?fifth Illinois Infantry, and served for three years, being mustered out on the 6th of March, 1865. He was wounded in the battle of Peach Tree Creek before Atlanta; while the Twenty?fifth was advancing as a skirmish line on the rebel fortifications, a bullet struck his watch and made a glancing shot, cutting him quite badly. He also participated in the battle of Perryville, Ky., and in numerous other engagement s in which his regiment was engaged, being always found at his post of duty, ready to defend the Old Flag under which he enlisted.
In the fall of 1865, Mr. Butzow returned to his native land, and on the 24th of March, 1866, married Miss Sophia Pfudel, a native of Berlin, Prussia. With his bride he immediately returned to America, and their home has since been in Iroquois County. Their union has been blessed with seven children, and the family circle yet remains unbroken. Frank F., the eldest, marred Katy Eno and resides in Loda, Iroquois County, being employed in the bank; Martha J. is engaged in teaching in Watseka; Mary L., Emma S., Otto L., Rudolph and Bertha are still under the parental roof.
Mr. Butzow exercises his right of franchise in support of the Democratic party, and has been honored with a number of official positions, the duties of which he discharged with promptness and fidelity, thus winning the commendation of all concerned. For seven years he filled the office of Township Clerk, for three years was Road Supervisor, and in 1873 was elected County Clerk. So well did he fill the office that he was re?elected in 1877, and again in 1882, holding the positon altogether for thirteen years, the longest period one man has ever held it. Socially, Mr. Butzow is a member of the Masonic fraternity, belonging to the Lodge, Chapter of Watseka, and Commandery of Kankakee. He also belongs to the Lodge and Encampment of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, and to Williams Post No. 25, G. A. R. He and his family are members of the Lutheran Church.
Mr. Butzow is a leading and influential citizen of Iroquois County, which fact is well indicated by his long continued service in the office of County Clerk, which also attests his personal popularity.
JOHN EDEN, a successful and well?known merchant of Danforth, has the honor of being a native of Illinois. He was born at Pekin, Tazewell County, on the 8th of December, 1856, and is a son of Remmer Eden, whose sketch appears elsewhere in this volume. Our subject came with his parents to this county in 1868, and grew to manhood here. He received the advantages of the common schools, but is almost self?educated. By his powers of observation and by reading he has accumulated a valuable fund of information, and is one of the most intelligent men of the community. He remained on the home farm, engaged in assisting his father in the labors thereof, until he had reached his majority. He then decided to devote his energies to another line of business, and, coming to Danforth, engaged in clerking for about two years, thoroughly learning the details of mercantile life. He then formed a partnership with Fred Kohl, and together they purchased the store where they had been employed as clerks, and embarked in business for themselves. They first started business on a limited scale; as they had but a small stock and capital, which was mostly borrowed money. From year to year they added to their original stock, and have built up a most extensive and lucrative trade. In February, 1892, Mr. Eden purchased his partner's interest and succeeded to the whole business. He has a large double store, and carries an extensive stock of general merchandise, comprising the latest novelties, which are well selected.
In Danforth, Mr. Eden married Miss Elizabeth Johnson, who was born in Fairbury, Ill., and came to this county with her father, John O. Johnson, when a child of but two years of age. Her father is now retired, and makes his home in Danforth. The ceremony which united the destinies of Mr. and Mrs. Eden was performed on the 4th of May, 1884, and they have become the parents of two daughters, Cassie Aline and Cecelia E.
Mr. Eden bas never aspired to official positions, but bas been elected to several local positions by his friends who well knew his ability and fidelity. He is a member of the Township Board and also of the School Board. His right of franchise is used in favor of the Democratic party, in whose success he is much interested. By his business enterprise and thrift he has accumulated a comfortable fortune, and owns a well?established business. His elegant home is the abode of hospitality, and he and his estimable wife delight to entertain their many friends. He is a man of superior business capacity, and is known far and wide throughout this section of the State as a successful and enterprising business man.
JOHN FAGAN, of Watseka, the pioneer harness?maker of Iroquois County, settled in Middleport, in the spring of 1849, and removed to South Middleport, now Watseka, when the railroad was being built through this place. He was the first of his trade in old Middleport, and at Watseka, and has carried on business continuously since at the last?named point, which, in fact, now includes the former town in its corporation limits. Mr. Fagan was born in Xenia, Ohio, March 29, 1822, and is a son of William and Elizabeth (Dowell) Fagan. His parents were born in what is now West Virginia, and removed at an early day to Highland County, Ohio, and later to Greene County, near Xenia, in the same State. They subsequently came to Champaign County, Ill., where they spent their last days. The mother died in 1867, and the father the following year.
The subject of this sketch was reared in his native State, received a common?school education, and learned his trade in his native town. He began his apprenticeship there and served six years, after which he engaged in business for himself. In 1847, he removed to La Fayette, Ind., where he worked as a journeyman for a year, and in 1840 came to Illinois. He spent a year working at his trade in Danville, and in the spring of 1849 came to Iroquois County, where he opened the first harness shop in the county at Middleport, as previously stated.
In the fall of 1852, Mr. Fagan was united in marriage in Middleport with Miss Caroline Hogle, a daughter of Capt. Henry W. and Charlotte (Wells) Hogle. Mrs. Fagan was born in Henrysville. Province of Quebec, Canada; and came to Middleport, Ill., with her mother, August 11, 1849. She died in 1856, leaving two children: a son, who died in childhood; and a daughter, Charlotte H., who is now the wife of Robert Hayes, of Lake View, Chicago. In the spring of 1859, Mr. Pagan was again married, his second wife being Mrs. Julia A. Fenton, whose maiden name was Crawford. She has one child, Dora, by her former marriage. Mrs. Pagan was born in Coshocton County, Ohio. Five children blessed their union, but three are now deceased. Arthur died aged twenty?three years; Wilda is the wife of J. T. Ford, of Drummond, Wis.; Albert died in childhood; Asa B. married and lives in Chicago; and one died in infancy.
In his political affiliation, Mr. Fagan was a Whig in early life, but on the dissolution of that party, became a Democrat. He has never sought or desired public office. Mrs. Fagan owns a well-improved farm of one hundred and twenty acres, situated in Belmont Township. Mr. Fagan is an Odd Fellow and was a charter member of the old lodge of Middleport; and was also the second Odd Fellow in the place. He is a Royal Arch Mason, a member of Watseka Lodge No. 446, A. F. & A. M., and of Watseka Chapter No. 114, R. A. M.
Mr. Fagan is one of the very few remaining pioneers of the deserted village of Middleport, the ancient capital of Iroquois County. He has witnessed the coming and going of many, and the rise and fall of the fortunes of others. The country, which was little better than a wilderness when he first saw it, is now well settled by a prosperous and thrifty people. During all these years and changes he has maintained acquaintance and friendship with marry and enjoys, as he deserves, the kindly regard and esteem of his old neighbors and friends, and also of the newer comers who have learned to know him.
O. D. NOBLE, photographic artist of Watseka was born in Kankakee, Ill., September 21, 1855, and is a son of Solomon and Susan D. (Williamson) Noble. His parents were natives of Philadelphia, and came to Illinois in 1847. His father died in June, 1882, and his mother is still living, residing in Kankakee. The subject of this sketch was reared in his native county, receiving his education in the common schools. In 1878, he began learning photography in Kankakee, and the following year went to Chicago, where he was employed in that line of work at intervals for several years. In 1884, he opened a gallery in Paxton, Ford County, where he carried on business during the three years following. From there he went to Denver, Colo., and was there employed in a large gallery for two years. Then he returned East for a year and afterward again went to Colorado. After spending another year in the West, he returned to Illinois and opened his present gallery in Watseka, June 20, 1891.
Mr. Noble was married in Paxton, Ill., February 19, 1875, to Miss Theresa Palmer. The lady was born on the banks of Lake Champlain in New York, and is a daughter of Isaac H. Palmer, of Paxton. Mr. and Mrs. Noble have one child, a son, Lesley Denver, who was born in Denver, Colo., April 5, 1888.
In politics, Mr. Noble is a Democrat. Socially, he is a member of Watseka Camp No. 339, M. W. A. On coming to Watseka, the subject of this sketch determined to have the finest photographic gallery in Eastern Illinois, and to that end erected a one?story brick building, especially adapted to the business, the size being twenty?five feet front by eighty deep. The operating room is twenty-five by thirty?five feet, while the facilities for light are scientifically planned and complete in arrangement. The front reception room is lighted by large French plate?glass and is elegantly furnished and decorated. Taken as a whole, the Noble gallery is unsurpassed in any city in the State, outside of Chicago, in its appointments and most approved facilities for artistic work. Mr. Noble does all kinds of work in his art in the most modern style, including oil, pastel, crayon, and work in water?colors, together with a new and novel feature of photography on silk and linen, hatbands, etc., wherein the picture comes out strong and sharp. He does fine work in enlarging from small and old pictures, and is recognized as an expert in his line.
NELSON CAVITT is now engaged in general farming and stock?raising on section 14, Belmont Township. The history of his life is the record of a self?made man, who has been dependent upon his own resources since he attained his majority, and by his own labors has achieved success and gathered together a comfortable competence. He was born in Pike County, Ohio, January 19, 1819. His paternal grandparents were both natives of Ireland, and during youth emigrated to this country. They became early settlers of Ohio, and in the Buckeye State Robert Cavitt, father of our subject, was born and reared. After attaining to wears of maturity he was joined in wedlock with Miss Mary Daugherty, also a native of Ohio, and they spent their entire lives upon the old homestead. With the Methodist Church they held membership and were highly respected citizens. In politics, Mr. Cavitt was a supporter of the Democratic party.
During his boyhood Nelson Cavitt acquired his education in a school which was conducted on the subscription plan and convened in a little log cabin with greased?paper windows, slab seats and huge fireplace. He afterward attended a select school for nine months, but though his educational privileges were limited, be has become a well?informed man through reading, experience and observation. He earned his first money by working as a farm hand at $9 and $11 per month, and even in his younger years there was little that he did not know about farm labor, for he early began work in the fields. At the age of twenty-two he removed to Tippecanoe County, Ind., locating near La Fayette. This was in the spring of 1841. He began work as a farm hand, but afterward engaged in farming in Fountain County, Ind., where he made his home until 1864.
In that county Mr. Cavitt was married to Miss Hester A. Brown, their union being celebrated March 16, 1849. Unto them have been born the following children: Mary, at home; Anna, who is living in Watseka; Henrietta, wife of D. L. Greenman of Watseka; George, who is married and follows farming near Watseka; John F., an agriculturist of Belmont Township; William T., at home; Charles O., who has lately entered the Normal College at Valparaiso, Ind.; and Frank O., who completes the family, is also at the Valparaiso Normal College. The children were all provided with good educational advantages, such as would fit them for the practical duties of life and its responsibilities. Frank, who expects to become a physician, was formerly a student in Hoopeston.
Mr. Cavitt cast his first Presidential vote for William Henry Harrison, and was a Whig until the dissolution of that party, when he joined the ranks of the new Republican party and has since fought under its banner, supporting each Presidential candidate since Fremont. His wife is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and to church and charitable work he contributes liberally. He takes an active interest in all that pertains to the welfare of the community and is one of its representative and influential citizens. On coming to this county in 1864, he purchased one hundred and two acres of land and now owns a fine farm of one hundred and eighty acres, while, in connection with his sons, he also operates three hundred acres additional. The boys also run a threshing?machine in season. Mr. Cavitt carries on general farming and stock?raising, and prosperity has rewarded his industrious efforts. He is now one of the substantial citizens of the community, having a fine farm. Upon it is a good house and large and well?built barns and outbuildings, while its neat appearance indicates his careful supervision.
EUGENE P. L'HOTE, editor and proprietor of the Milford Herald, was born in Marshall, Ill., on the 7th of May, 1862, and is a son of Edward L'Hote. His father was born on the island of Guadeloupe, in Point?a?Pitre, West Indies, March 3, 1819, and his parents were Edward and Sophie (Maumay) L'Hote, the former a native of Paris, and the latter of Bourdeaux, France. Their family numbered three sons: Edward, Eugene and Archille. In 1826, Edward L'Hote, Sr., emigrated to America, locating in New Orleans. He died at Mobile, Ala., in 1835. His wife departed this life in the Crescent City, in 1837.
The year after his mother's death, Edward L'Hote, Jr., began to learn the printer's trade, which he followed for fifty?one years, or until his retirement from business in 1889. He began work in the office of the Chronicle, which was published in what is now known as the Fourth District of New Orleans. He was living in that city at the time of the first issue of the Picayune, which was established in 1835. He worked on that paper when tallow candles were used for lighting the office, and dry?goods boxes were used for news stands, and when the proprietors cooked their own meals. The Picayune was published as a daily, and the forms were inked with rubber ball, which were dexterously distributed by bumping them together and causing them to turn in every direction until the ink was over every part.
Our subject was a veteran of the Mexican War. During that struggle he enlisted as a member of the Second Louisiana Regiment, and served for six months. After his return he came to Marshall, Ill, in 1849, and was married on the 29th of November to Miss Charlotte Whaley, daughter of William and Charlotte Whaley. There he worked at his trade for some time in the employ of others. He afterward published a paper called the Hornet, one of the first journals in the country to advocate Abraham Lincoln for the Presidency. After residing in Clark County for nearly thirty years, Mr. L'Hote removed to Milford, and purchased the Milford Herald, then published by J. R. Fox. He continued its editor and proprietor from 1878 until 1889, putting it on a good paying basis. He then sold put to his son, Eugene P.
Edward L'Hote is a member of Marshall Lodge No. 133, A. F. & A. M., and of Chapter No. 70, R. A. M., of Marshall. In politics he is a supporter of the Republican principles, and his paper was ever edited in the interests of that party. Since selling his paper in 1889, he has lived a retired life, enjoying a well?earned rest. Mr. L'Hote is an intelligent and well?informed man, and is held in the highest esteem by all who know him for his sterling worth and integrity.
Eugene P. L'Hote, whose name heads this record, came with his parents to Iroquois County, and has since been a resident of Milford. From boyhood he has been connected with the printing business, which he learned in his father's office. In 1886 he leased the Milford Herald, and after publishing it for two years purchased it of his father, and has since conducted it alone. The Herald is a bright, newsy sheet, published in the interest of the Republican party. Our subject is a ready and fluent writer, and keeps his paper up to the high standard to which his father brought it. The Herald is now well patronized, has a large subscription list, and he is doing a profitable business.
On the 24th of September, 1885, Mr. L'Hote wedded Miss Elda Fairman, daughter of John F. and Mary E. (Park) Fairman, of Milford. Three children grace their union: Lulu, born in April, 1886; Ray; born in December, 1887; and Elda, born in September, 1889. Our subject holds membership with the Odd Fellows' lodge and the Knights of Pythias Society, both of Milford. He is a public?spirited and progressive citizen, who does much for the advancement and upbuilding of the town and county, and by his fellow?townsmen he is regarded as a man of sterling worth. He is quite popular, has a wide acquaintance, and his friends are many.
ABRAM COUGHENOUR, a retired farmer residing on section 27, Concord Township, is a well-known citizen of this community, and certainly deserves representation in the history of his adopted county, for he is numbered among its earliest settlers, having for more than half a century been connected with its history. A native of Gallia County, Ohio, he was born September 15, 1816, and is a son of John and Susan (Darst) Coughenour, the former a native of Pennsylvania, and the latter of Virginia. When John Coughenour was quite small his parents removed to the Old Dominion. The paternal grandfather of our subject was of German descent, and died in Augusta County, Va. On attaining to mature years his children all left that State. The family numbered five sons and a daughter. Some of them returned to Pennsylvania, and Christian and John removed to Ohio. The sister started on horseback from Virginia to the Buckeye State and was never heard from again.
John Coughenour was twenty?one years of age when he went to Gallia County, Ohio. He was then in limited circumstances, but became a well-to?do farmer. His wife died when our subject was about ten years of age. Abram is the eldest of a family of three sons and three daughters, but is now the only surviving member. The father was afterward again married and had several children by the second union.
Abram Coughenour remained under the parental roof until he obtained his majority, and acquired his education in the subscription schools. On leaving home he went to La Fayette, Ind., and from there to Huntington, where he worked on the Wabash & Erie Canal, helping to build the second lock. In September, 1834, he went to Chicago, where he worked on the piers at the mouth of the river until the following December. He saw the first house burn at that place and helped to put out the fire. Subsequently he returned to La Fayette, Ind., where he began learning the carpenter's trade, receiving a journeyman's wages from the beginning, as he was always handy with tools. Having made a short visit to his old home, he came to Iroquois County, Ill., in 1836, and for several years afterward followed carpentering.
On May 31, 1837, Mr. Coughenour married Miss Elizabeth Ann Williams, of Milford Township, who was born in Ohio, March 1, 1821, and came this county with her parents during childhood. Her father, Robert L. Williams, was a large land?owner in Milford Township. Unto Mr. and Mrs. Coughenour were born thirteen children, eleven of whom grew to mature years; nine were married and seven are yet living. Marion, the eldest, died in infancy; Celina J. is the wife of George W. Enslin, of Sheldon; Franklin is represented elsewhere in this work; Rosanna is the wife of Nelson Waity, of Sheldon Township: Anna is the wife of Jefferson Crozier, a resident of Sheldon, and unto them have been born three children, two living and one deceased; Nancy became the wife of Irvin E. Crozier, and died in Clay County, Iowa, leaving one child; Celestine is the wife of Luman Sherman, Allen, who is married and lives with our subject, has one child; Aurelius is living in Clay County, Iowa; and Joseph R. completes the family.
The farm on which Mr. Coughenour resides was a claim which he purchased from his brother, who had entered the land from the Government. He built his residence and barn with his own hands, and has here made his home since 1844. Every improvement upon the place stands as a monument to his thrift and enterprise. His possessions have all been acquired through his own efforts, and he may truly be called a self?made man. He followed in the political footsteps of his father, and in 1832 cast his first Presidential vote for Gen. Jackson. Since that time he has been a warm advocate of the Democracy, and his sons support the same party. He has filled the office of Justice of the Peace, was School Director for about twenty years, and School Trustee for nine years. The cause of education has ever found in him a warm friend, and he has done much for the advancement of the schools in this community. Mr. Coughenour has been a great reader throughout life, and has thus become well informed.
Mrs. Coughenour was called to her final rest June 19, 1890, and her remains were interred in the Garfield Cemetery. Mr. Coughenour is now eighty-two years old, and is an active old gentleman, physically and mentally. Throughout the county he has a wide acquaintance, and an honored, upright life has won him the confidence and esteem of a large circle of friends and acquaintance. His name is inseparably connected with the history of the county, where for fifty?six years he has found a home. He has aided in its development, borne his part in its upbuilding, and ever faithfully performed his duties of citizenship.
HON. CONRAD SECREST, M. D., of Watseka, the present State Senator from Iroquois County, was born near Lexington, in Davidson County, N. C., May 3, 1829. His parents, Daniel and Elizabeth (Foutz) Secrest, were also natives of that State. The father's family were from Pennsylvania, and were of German origin. Their settlement in the old Keystone State antedates the War of the Revolution, and members of the family were participants in that memorable struggle under Gen. Green. Daniel Secrest removed with his family to Morgan County, Ind., in 1831, and there engaged in farming. His death occurred in 1841, when Conrad was but twelve years old. The mother died two years later.
Left an orphan at fourteen, our subject received his primary education in a frontier log school-house, with its traditional puncheon floor, and slab seats and desks, and where, instead of glass, oiled paper was used to admit the light through an opening where a section of logs had been removed. He was reared on a farm, and subsequently, having the advantage of better schools, fitted himself for the position of teacher. In March, 1862, he came to Iroquois County, Ill., and began the study of medicine under the direction of Drs. Fowler & Blades, of Iroquois, soon afterward accompanying those gentlemen to Middleport. There he engaged as a clerk in a store, and pursued his studies at night. In the fall of 1853, he entered Rush Medical College, of Chicago, where he took a course of lectures the following winter. In the summer of 1854, he began practice in Milford, and pursued his profession at that place until the fall of 1858, when he returned to Rush Medical College, and nearly completed another course of lectures when sickness called him home. Subsequently he returned, and received his degree of M. D. from the same institution.
Dr. Secrest then returned to Milford, and was engaged in practice and in the drug business in that place until the fall of 1859, when he removed to South Middleport, now Watseka, and erected the first business house in that place, although it was not the first finished and occupied. In 1860, the Doctor became regularly established in the drug business at South Middleport, and also pursued the practice of his profession. About 1875, he purchased a tract of land near Watseka, to which he has added by subsequent purchases until he now has a well?improved farm of four hundred and fifty acres, lying adjacent to the city on the southeast. Of this, one hundred and sixty acres are situated in the township of Middleport and the remainder in Belmont Township. The Doctor's residence is on the street that forms the dividing line between the farm and the city.
On the 20th of May, 1855, Dr. Secrest was united in marriage in Milford, Ill., with Miss Martha A. Cleaver. The lady was born in this county in 1837, and is a daughter of David and Louisa Cleaver. Her parents were Quakers, and were natives of Pennsylvania. They emigrated first to Warren County, Ohio, and came to Iroquois County in 1833, settling near what is now Milford. In the family were two sons and two daughters. Mrs. Secrest and her sister Mary, now the wife of S. B. Hamilton, of Monroe County, Wis., are the only ones living. Joseph W., the eldest son, died in the army. The mother of this family died in November, 1854, and the father in January, 1856. The Doctor and his wife have one child living, a son, Daniel C., who was born June 10, 1860, and is now engaged in the United States Revenue Service; he resides in Pekin, Ill. A daughter, Louisa, died in infancy.
In politics, Dr. Secrest is a Republican. At various times he has filled local offices, and in 1876 was elected Representative to the Sixteenth General Assembly from Iroquois and Kankakee Counties, and was re?elected in 1878. In 1880, he was elected to the Illinois Senate from the same district. In 1884, he was succeeded by H. K. Wheeler, of Kankakee, by a tacitly understood rule in the party that the office of State Senator should alternate between the two counties composing the district. In 1888, Dr. Secrest was again elected to the Senate, and is the present member. He has served four years as Representative, and at the close of the present term will have been eight years in the Senate. He has been a faithful and useful member in each of those bodies and has served in several important committees. In the four regular sessions of the Senate, he has been Chairman of the Committee on Appropriations, which has the consideration and recommendation of appropriations aggregating between seven and a?half and eight and a?half millions of dollars annually. The position to which he was appointed was one of great responsibility and importance, and his faithful and able discharge of the duties devolving upon him justified the compliment paid him in the selection.
Dr. Secrest is a member of Iroquois Lodge No. 74, I. O. O. F., and of Iroquois Encampment No. 81. The family attend the Methodist Church. For forty years, the Doctor has been a resident of Iroquois County. He has taken a more or less prominent part in its business and political history, aiding materially in its growth and development. By his upright and honorable course in all the relations of life, he has won a strong hold upon the respect, good?will and confidence of his fellow-citizens. He is a plain, unassuming man, entirely devoid of ostentation, but possessed of an earnest, rugged strength of character and honesty of purpose that have led to a permanent popularity among the solid, candid men of his district, regardless of political preferences.
JAMES PHILLIPS, who owns and operates a farm on section 17, Crescent Township, is a native of Ireland, his birth having occurred in County Kildare, April 13, 1834. He is a son of George and Martha (Charless) Phillips, both natives of Ireland. The father was a farmer and spent his entire life in his native country. James is the youngest of the family, which consisted of three sons and four daughters, all of whom grew to mature years, and with the exception of one son, are all still living. One sister is a resident of La Salle County, Ill.
Our subject grew to manhood, receiving good school advantages, on the Emerald Isle. Deciding to seek his fortune in the New World, in 1853 he took passage at Liverpool in a sailing?vessel, and for five weeks was on the bosom of the Atlantic Ocean, during that time experiencing some very severe weather. He arrived in the United States in May and went direct to Illinois, joining his brother?in?law, James Hall, in La Salle County. He worked for him and others during the succeeding four years in that neighborhood.
At the breaking out of the late war, Mr. Phillips entered the service of his adopted country, joining Col. Morrell's regiment, which was drilled at home, in 1861. He was soon, however, discharged on account of disability. On account of his health, he next decided to return for a visit to the land of his birth and the scenes of his youth. He there spent three years, and at the end of this time again started from Liverpool, this time in a steam?vessel, going to Portland, Me. He arrived in La Salle County about the 1st of May, 1865, and during the remainder of that year worked by the month.
Mr. Phillips was united in marriage in that county to Sarah Patterson, who, though of Scotch parentage; was like him born and reared in Ireland. Their marriage was celebrated November 6, 1865. To this worthy couple were born four children: George A. Phillips, a farmer of Iroquois County; two daughters, Lizzie and Evalen, who both reside at home; and an infant deceased.
The year after his marriage Mr. Phillips rented a farm in La Salle County for a term of six years. This he ran until the spring of 1874, when, coming to Iroquois County, he purchased a quarter?section of raw prairie land. This he broke and fenced and otherwise cultivated and improved. He now has his place well tiled and in every way it shows the care and labor he has expended upon it. He and his estimable lady have passed through the hardships incident to the early pioneers. The latter has been an invalid much of the time.
Politically, Mr. Phillips was identified with the Democratic party and cast his first vote for Stephen A. Douglas. Later he affiliated with the Prohibition, party, supporting their nominees and principles. He is a friend of education and is in favor of good public schools. Anything which he can do to forward the cause of education is done by him, and for several years he has served as a member of the School Board. He and his wife and daughters are members of the Congregational Church at Crescent City. Mr. Phillips has been a resident of Illinois for about thirty?six years, eighteen years of which time he has been a resident of Iroquois County, and during that period he has helped to make the county what it is to?day, one of the best in the State. He is well and favorably known throughout this section, and is a man of honor, integrity and enterprise.
WILLIAM R. BURKITT, a dealer and shipper of hay and straw in Pittwood, also one of the leading farmers of Martinton Township, is a native of Virginia. He was born in Washington County on the 12th of March, 1845, and is a son of Simeon Burkitt. His father was born and reared in North Carolina, and in the State of his nativity married Axy Miller, also a native of of North Carolina. The father was a blacksmith by trade and followed that occupation for a number of years prior to his removal to Virginia. In 1846, when our subject was a babe of a year, he removed with his family to Miami County, Ohio, where he engaged in blacksmithing until 1855. That year witnessed his emigration to Illinois. Locating in Middleport, Iroquois County, he established a smithy and carried on business in the line of his chosen trade for a number of years. He is now living a retired life and makes his home with his children in Watseka. His wife was called to her final rest in August, 1885.
The subject of this sketch is the sixth in order of birth in a family of eleven children, nine of whom are yet living: Esther, wife of Abraham Mann, a resident of Darke County, Ohio; W. Troy, who enlisted in the late war as a member of the Ninety?third Ohio Infantry, and died in the service of his country; James, a resident, farmer of Miami County, Ohio; America, wife of I. B. Dickerson, a resident of Pennsylvania; W. R., whose name heads this sketch; Andrew, who is living in Iroquois County; John, who makes his home in Watseka; Mary, wife of William Burdick; Loroma, wife of Lott Mote; and Jennie, wife of Dennis Myers, of Kansas.
Mr. Burkitt, whose name heads this record, spent about nine years of his boyhood in Ohio, and when a lad of ten summers came with his parents to this county, where he was reared to manhood. His school privileges were quite limited and since he has attained to years of maturity the greater part of his education has been acquired. In early life he learned the blacksmith's trade in his father's shop and after arriving at his majority he followed farming and various other employments. In 1881, he located in Pittwood and established a blacksmith shop, carrying on business in that line for a period of five years. In the meantime he traded his farm for a stock of goods and embarked in merchandising, to which business he devoted his energies for two years, when he sold out. He then purchased a hay?press and since that time has been engaged quite extensively in baling and shipping hay and straw, shipping on an average about two hundred car?loads annually. During the past three years ho has also been engaged in farming. He owns two hundred and forty acres of land three miles west of Pittwood, a valuable farm which yields to him a good income.
On the 29th of April, 1874, in Watseka, Mr. Burkitt was united in marriage with Miss Mary J. McIntyre. The lady is a native of Ohio, but was reared and educated in Watseka. Prior to her marriage she successfully engaged in teaching. She is a daughter of Robert McIntyre, who was born in the Buckeye State on the 12th of June, 1823, and died November 24, 1873. He was liberally educated and in early life took up the study of law, becoming an eminent member of and a successful practitioner at the Iroquois County Bar. A man of pronounced ability and upright character, his influence was felt far and wide. He was charitable and benevolent almost to a fault, and was universally esteemed, being truly called one of Nature's noblemen. About 1859 he emigrated to Illinois from Mt. Vernon, Ohio, where he had previously resided. This county was then just being opened for settlement. Mr. McIntyre located in what was then known as Middleport, now known as "Old Town," and served as Postmaster at that place during Lincoln's administration. Mr. McIntyre was a great admirer of Lincoln and was a stanch advocate of Republican principles and did all in his power for the promotion and success of that party. The mother of Mrs. Burkitt bore the maiden name of Sarah J. Winterringer. She was a native of Knox County, Ohio, born January 10, 1830. Her death occurred September 2, 1872. Of the Presbyterian Church she was a faithful member. In the McIntyre family were nine children, five sons and four daughters, of whom five are living at this writing, in the winter of 1892?93, namely: John, a professor of music residing in Kansas; Mary J., wife of our subject; Nanie, wife of Taylor Channel, who resides in this county; George, who is living in Pittwood, Ill., and carries on business in connection with Mr. Burkitt; and Fannie, wife of C. Reynolds, a resident farmer of Iroquois County.
Mrs. Burkitt's maidenhood days were spent in Watseka. She acquired an excellent education in the graded schools of "Old Town," and became one of the county's brightest and moat successful teachers. She is a lady of pleasing address, possesses many excellencies of character, and to her husband has proved a valuable helpmate. Her home is the abode of hospitality. By the union of Mr. and Mrs. Burkitt have been born two children, Winnefred and Lolo, but the latter died at the age of two years and seven months. The former is now a student in Battle Creek College, Battle Creek, Mich., where she is pursuing a classical course. She is an excellent musician, has been educated both in vocal and instrumental music, and is a young lady of pronounced literary taste.
Both Mr. and Mrs. Burkitt are members of the Seventh Day Adventist Church of Pittwood and are highly respected citizens who hold an enviable position in social circles. In politics, Mr. Burkitt is a Republican, but has never been an aspirant for political preferment, desiring rather to devote his entire time to his business interests, in which he has met with excellent success. He commenced life a poor man, empty?handed, but by his own labor, enterprise and industry has accumulated a valuable farm and good home. He is now recognized as one of the substantial citizens of the county. Almost his entire life has been passed in this locality, and his honorable, upright career has won him the confidence and esteem of all.
WILLIAM FLESHER, a representative farmer residing on section 20, Iroquois Township, is one of the honored pioneers of the county, who for many years has witnessed the growth and development of this part of the State and aided in the upbuilding and progress of the community in which he makes his home. A native of Ohio, he was born in Meigs County, on the Ohio River, July 14, 1829. His father, a Virginian by birth, was born in 1782, and his grandfather, Henry Flesher, was a native of Germany. Crossing the Atlantic, he became one of the early settlers of Virginia. The Indians were still numerous in the neighborhood of his home, and on one occasion he was shot by an Indian, his arm being shattered in the attack.
John Flesher, the father of our subject, was then a lad of fourteen years. He grew to manhood in the State of his nativity, and there married Sarah Jackson, who was born in Virginia, but her father was a native of New Jersey. After their marriage they emigrated to the Buckeye State, settling in Meigs County then an almost unbroken wilderness. They located at the mouth of Oldtown Creek, about ten miles above Pomeroy, where Mr. Flesher improved and developed a farm and reared his family. He there made his home until 1835, when he came to Illinois and took up his residence on Spring Creek, Iroquois Township. He was one of the first settlers of that locality, the date of his arrival being November 3, 1835. The work of civilization and progress seemed scarcely begun in this community, the land was in its primitive condition, and few improvements or settlements had been made. The family suffered all the hardships and privations of life on the frontier. They had a long distance to go to market, and had to go about fifty miles to mill. There were no roads and they had to follow Indian trails, or trust to their own memory to guide them on the return journey. Mr. Flesher entered from the Government about a?half section of land and opened up a farm, upon which he made his home until his death, which occurred in 1866. His wife departed this life in 1855, and both were buried in Flesher Cemetery, where a marble monument marks their last resting?place. He was an old Jackson?Democrat in political sentiment, but was never an aspirant for office. Mrs. Flesher was a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church and a consistent Christian lady.
Unto this worthy couple were born ten children, the following of whom grew to maturity: Phœbe, now deceased. Stephen was married and died in this county. He was a blacksmith by trade and one of the pioneer workmen in that line in this community. John, who was also married and reared a family, is now deceased: Jacob has also passed away; Jefferson resides in Watseka; Henry died in January, 1847, leaving a widow to mourn his loss. The deceased members of the family are all buried in Flesher Cemetery with the exception of Henry, whose remains were interred about three miles from this place.
William Flesher, whose name heads this record, was a lad of seven summers when he came with his parents to this county, where he has since resided. Amid the wild scenes of frontier life he was reared to manhood, and he was early inured to the hard labors of developing and improving a new farm. He remained with his father until his death, and then took charge of the old homestead, a part of which became his through a deed given him by his father in 1852. He has followed farming throughout his entire life, and has been very successful. He owns two hundred and eighty-seven acres of valuable land, under a high state of cultivation and well improved, with a good residence and substantial outbuildings. He also owns two free flowing wells, both near his home.
On the 26th of November, 1857, Mr. Flasher was joined in wedlock with Mrs. Susanna Kepner, a native of Tippecanoe County, Ind., and a daughter of Benjamin Parker. She was reared and first married in Indiana. By her first marriage he had one child, Alice, who is now the wife of George Stup, of Iroquois County. Unto Mr. and Mrs. Flasher has been born a son, Allen, who married Miss Sarah Curtis, and is now carrying on the home farm. He and his wife have two children. Mr. and Mrs. Flasher also lost three children: Emma became the wife of J. C. Pickens and died in 1890, leaving three children, who are yet living; Maggie is also deceased; and Bennie died at the age of twenty years.
Since becoming a voter, Mr. Flasher has been identified with the Democratic party, and is a stalwart advocate of its principles. He cast his first Presidential vote for Lewis Cass, and has always taken an interest in political affairs, but has never been an aspirant for the honors or emoluments of public office. However, he filled the office of Justice of the Peace for ten consecutive years and then resigned. For the long period of fifty?five years he has known no other home than Iroquois County. As a public?spirited and progressive citizen he has ever borne his part in the development of the county, and has seen the transformation which the rapid strides of progress have made, until few landmarks of pioneer days yet remain. He is a man of unblemished character, and his upright life has won him the confidence and respect of all, in which his estimable wife also shares.
CHRISTIAN ZUMWALT, a self?made man, who is engaged in general farming on section 21, Sheldon Township, was born on the 8th of September, 1824, in Lexington Ky., and is the youngest in a family of eight children whose parents were Philip and Leah (Powell) Zumwalt, also natives of Kentucky. In 1833, when our subject was a lad of nine years, the father removed with his family to Indiana, locating in Fountain County, where he spent his last days, but was not long permitted to enjoy his new home, his death occurring in 1837.
No event of special importance occurred during the boyhood of our subject, which was quietly passed in the usual manner of farmer lads. He remained at home until twenty?one years of age and then started out in life for himself, following the occupation to which, he was reared. Securing land in Vermillion County, Ind., he engaged in its cultivation for ten years, after which he carne to Illinois, in 1855, and cast in his lot with the early settlers of Iroquois County. For more than a third of a century he has now made his home in this community. He began farming and prosperity has crowned his efforts until he is now the owner of more than two hundred and forty acres of finely improved farming land. All is under a high state of cultivation and the improvements upon the place stand as monuments to his thrift and enterprise,
Turning from the business to the home life of Mr. Zumwalt, we learn that he was married, on the 18th of February, 1846, to Miss Salinda Oder, who has been his faithful companion and helpmate for forty?six years. The lady is a native of Illinois and a daughter of Joseph Oder. Eight children grace this union, of whom seven are now living, namely: Mary Jane, wife of J. R. Fox, a resident of Chicago; Martha Elizabeth, wife of L. Mitchell, a resident farmer of Stockland Township; Sarah Jane, wife of Dan Meeker, who is living in Mc Lean County; Adelia, who married George Martin, a resident of Belmont Township; Charles, who is living in McLean County; George, a resident of Sheldon; and Frank at home.
Mr. Zumwalt is a supporter of the Republican party but has never been an office?seeker. The only official positions he has held are in connection with the schools and roads. Himself and wife are faithful members of the Christian Church and are highly respected citizens of the community, who well deserve representation among the prominent residents of Sheldon Township.
JESSE R. EASTBURN, one of the representative farmers and stock?raisers of the county, now owns and operates two hundred and seventy acres of land on section 31, Concord Township. As he is widely and favorably known throughout this community, we feel assured that this record of his life will prove of interest to many of our readers. He was born in Adams County, Ohio, on the 4th of November, 1824, and is a son of Hezekiah and Ann (Black) Eastburn. His grandfather, Jesse Eastburn, removed with his family from Maryland to Adams County, Ohio, when Hezekiah was a mere lad, and became one of its pioneer settlers. He there entered land and made his home among the Indians for a number of years. He was born about 1770, and his death occurred at the ripe old age of seventy?seven in this county. He came to Illinois about 1836 and was a pioneer of both Adams County, Ohio, and of Iroquois County.
Hezekiah Eastburn was born in Maryland in 1800, and died in 1832, at the early age of thirty?two years, leaving five children, of whom our subject is second in order of birth. On the death of his father, Jesse went to live with an uncle near La Fayette, Ind., and there resided from eight until twenty?one years of age. The common schools afforded him his educational privileges. On attaining his majority he received forty acres of land from his father's estate, and in after years he purchased the interest of the other heirs in the home farm, so that he now owns all of the land which his father originally purchased.
About three years after taking possession of this farm, Mr. Eastburn was married, on the 6th of September, 1846, to Miss Tabitha Critchfield, of Concord Township, who was born in Coshocton County, Ohio. Two daughters graced the union: Anna, now the wife of Thomas Shrimplin, a resident farmer of Concord Township, whose sketch appears elsewhere in this work, and Ellen, wife of Frank Coughenour, of the same township. The mother of this family died on the 9th of November, 1854, and on the 1st of May, 1856, Mr. Eastburn was again married, his second union being with Miss Margaret Howry. The lady is a native of Indiana, her birth having occurred near Rangeville. Her father, Abraham Howry, was born in the year 1800. By trade he was a tailor and followed that business for some time. When the discovery of gold occurred in California, he determined to seek his fortune in that far Western country and made a trip to the Pacific Slope. Soon after his return to his home his death occurred. In his political faith he was a Democrat. The mother of Mrs. Eastburn died when her daughter was quite a small child. The Howry family numbered six children, but Mrs. Eastburn is the only one now living. She was educated in the public schools, and the days of her maidenhood were spent in Illinois, where shy was married. She is a member of the United Brethren Church, which is located near her home. By the union of our subject and his wife have been born four children, but one is now deceased, Hezekiah, who died when a babe of a year; Sarah Jane the eldest living child, is now the wife of John Johnson, a resident of Oklahoma, and they have a family of two children; Mattie became the wife of Albert Rosenberger and their union has also been blessed with two children; Jessie R., the youngest of the family, is still under the parental roof.
Mr. Eastburn votes the Democratic ticket. His father and grandfather supported the same party and his son is also an advocate of the Democracy, making four generations of Democrats. Our subject has never been an office?seeker, but by his friends was once compelled to accept the position of Supervisor. For twenty?five years he has been connected with the Masonic fraternity, holding membership with Lodge No. 506 in Iroquois. Although he inherited a small farm from his father, he is virtually a self?made man; by his industry, perseverance and good management, he has added to his original farm and has become one of the prosperous and substantial agriculturists of the community. His farm is well tiled and fenced and improved with good buildings and the neat appearance of the place indicates his thrift and attests the supervision of a careful manager. Mr. Eastburn is a worthy representative of one of the honored pioneer families of the county, and he himself has been prominently identified with the history of this community for many years, doing all in his power to aid in its upbuilding and to promote those enterprises calculated to prove of public benefit.
JACOB MADISON HARMAN, a highly respected farmer of Stockland Township, residing in Sheldon, was born in Randolph County, Mo., on the 31st of December, 1841. His parents, Anthony and Sarah Ann (Turner) Harman, were natives of Virginia and Kentucky respectively. By their union were born two children, our subject and Benjamin T., who died in childhood. The mother was called to her final rest September 10, 1844, passing away at their home in Missouri. After the death of his first wife, Anthony Harman married Mrs. Theodosia Newton, daughter of James Carver, and unto them were born six children: Virginia E., who in the fall of 1865 became the wife of Benjamin T. Lee, a resident of Benton County, by whom she has three children. Oscar P. married Lina Jones, daughter of John H. Jones, of Iroquois County, and with their only child, Leroy, make their home in Milford. Jeremiah R. married Laura Schoonover, of Warren County, Ind., by whom he has one son, William, and they reside in Milford, Ill. Emma is the wife of John Hamilton, a resident of Attica, Ind., and unto them have been born two children, a daughter and son, Bessie and Harman. Waldo L. was joined in wedlock with Ellen, daughter of Wilson Coghill, and their home is now in Warren County, Ind. John J. wedded Frances Wagner, daughter of Michael Wagner. They too are residents of Warren County, Ind., and their family numbers four children, one son and three daughters, Pearl, Anna, Docia and Oscar P.
It was about 1839 that Anthony Harman went to Missouri to try his fortune. He resided in that State for about a quarter of a century, and on the 1st of March, 1865, removed to Warren County, Ind., where he still makes his home, engaged in farming and stock?raising. He has followed agricultural pursuits throughout nearly his entire life, and is a highly respected citizen of his adopted county.
Under the parental roof the subject of this sketch was reared to manhood, but when a young man he left home, and in January, 1862, went to Warren County, Ind., where he lived with his uncle, Jacob Harman, until 1864. He then returned to Randolph County, Mo., and was a resident of that locality until April, 1870, when he removed to Benton County, Ind. A year was spent in that place, and in 1871 he came to Iroquois County, where he has since made his home. He located upon the farm that has since been his place of abode, send turning his attention to agriculturist pursuits, has since been numbered among the representative and progressive farmers of the community. His landed possessions aggregate six hundred and forty acres. He carries on general farming, and engages quite extensively in stock-dealing, making a specialty of the breeding of Shorthorn cattle. He possesses excellent business ability, and has won a well?deserved prosperity.
On the 27th of April, 1865, Mr. Harman was united in the holy bonds of matrimony with Miss Emma Cox, daughter of Jacob and Casandria Cox, of Paris, Monroe County, Mo. Four children have been born of their union, and the family circle yet remains unbroken. Jacob A., born March 7, 1866, married Miss Emma Flagg, daughter of Rufus Flagg, of Milford, and they have a little son, Harrison. They are now residents of Peoria, Ill., where Jacob is engaged in civil engineering. Charles A., born July 30, 1871, aids his father in the cultivation of the home farm. Ira C., born on the 6th of August, 1879, and John J., born November 23, 1880, are attending school, and are still under the parental roof.
Mr. Harman has led a busy and useful life, yet aside from the attention he has given his business, he has found time to devote to public interests. He has held the office of Commissioner of Highways in Stockland Township for the long period of sixteen years, a fact which indicates his fidelity to duty; and for one term served as Supervisor. In politics he is a stalwart Republican, having supported that party since casting his first Presidential vote for Abraham Lincoln. He is a strong adherent of its principles, and takes an active interest in its success. He is ever found in the front of all public enterprises calculated to promote the general welfare and advance the best interests of the community. Mr. and Mrs. Harman and their children are all members of the Christian Church of Milford, in which he has held the office of Deacon for a number of years. He is a prominent and popular man, having many warm friends throughout the community, who esteem him highly for his sterling worth and strict integrity. Socially, Mr. Harman is a member of Lodge No. 153, I. O. O. F., of Milford.
WILLIAM CROUCH, who is now living a retired life in Iroquois, was born near Cadiz, the county seat of Harrison County, Ohio, December 24, 1810, and is the fifth in order of birth in a family of six children, and the only one yet living. The paternal grandfather of our subject was a native of New Jersey. His father, Robert Crouch, was born in Washington County, Pa., and, after attaining to mature years, was married on the 10th of September, 1799, to Miss Sarah Johnson, also a native of the Keystone State. Her death occurred in Harrison County, Ohio, in 1813, and our subject consequently remembers her but slightly. Mr. Crouch was again married, and by the second union had six children. He was a farmer by occupation. On selling his land in Harrison County, he removed to Jefferson County, Ohio, where he purchased a farm and made his home for a number of years. In the fall of 1836, he removed to Coshocton County, where his death occurred ten years later, in 1846.
Our subject accompanied his father on his removal to Jefferson County, and with him went to Coshocton County, where he became acquainted with and married Miss Sarah Lyons, who was born in Belmont County on the 8th of May, 1819. When only six years of age, she was taken to Coshocton County by her parents, John and Nancy (Tiggart) Lyons. Her father died in that county July 12, 1853, and his wife passed away on the 10th of July, 1851. Unto Mr. and Mrs. Crouch were born ten children, six of whom are yet living. The eldest, John, is represented elsewhere in this work; Mrs. Jane Karr still resides in Coshocton County; Robert is living in Sheldon, Ill.; William L., who resides with his parents, is a widower, and has one child; Mrs. Eveline Darling makes her home in Concord Township; and Hugh is also living in Concord Township.
After his marriage Mr. Crouch purchased eight acres of land, but a few years later sold that farm and bought ninety?two acres in the same county which he owned upon his removal to Iroquois County in 1878, where his children had all previously settled except his eldest daughter. He owns good residence property in the village and also a farm of ninety?two acres under a high state of cultivation and well improved with substantial buildings, good orchard, etc.
Mr. Crouch cast his first Presidential vote for the Whig candidate in 1832, and voted for William Henry Harrison in 1840. In 1856, he supported John C. Fremont, in 1860 cast his ballot for Lincoln and in 1864 for George B. McClellan. Since that time he has been a Democrat. In Ohio he served as Trustee of his township, but has never been an office?seeker. For more than half a century? himself and wife have been members of the Presbyterian Church, and for many years he served as Elder in Ohio. They are benevolent people, whose lives have been full of good deeds; and their many excellencies of character have won them the esteem and confidence of all. We feel assured that their many friends will receive this record of their lives with interest.