JEFFERSON COUNTY ILLINOIS
C. F. ANDERSON
In the fall of 1920, Mr. and Mrs. C. F. Anderson and two children,
Margaret and Donald, moved to Mt. Vernon where Mr. Anderson assumed the
responsibilities of head of the english department of the Mt. Vernon
High School. After two terms of teaching, Mr. Anderson took a leave of
absence and attended the University of Illinois at Urbana. He returned
to Mt. Vernon in the fall of 1923 and opened the new department of
agriculture in the local high school. In 1947 he became as assistant
supervisor of vocational agriculture for the State of Illinois. He
continued in this work until his permanent retirement in the fall of
C. F. Anderson was united with Ruth McCreery in marriage at the Liberty
Church, rural Thompsonville, IL, in Franklin County on June 12, 1912.
He and Mrs. Anderson moved to Houghton, Michigan, where Mr. Anderson was
head of the English department in the high school for two years. While
there, their first child, Margaret, was born in 1913. She married Rev.
Floyd Brewer in 1936, a minister in the Central Illinois Conference of
the United Methodist Church. In 1914, Mr. and Mrs. Anderson moved to
Muskogee, Oklahoma. There, their second child, Donald, was born. He is
now a radiologist.
C. F. Anderson was born in Clay County, the only child of William and
Froelah McGrew Anderson of near Flora. Mrs. Anderson (Ruth) is the
daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Morton G. McCreery of rural Thompsonville.
Mrs. McCreery was the former Carrie I. Loomis.
In 1925 the Andersons bought one of the original Maxey houses three
miles north of Mt. Vernon. The Andersons continued to live on the
property until Mr. Anderson's death in July. 1972. In 1975. Mrs.
Anderson sold the property to her daughter and son-in-law. Rev. and
Mrs. Floyd Brewer. Margaret Brewer was killed in a traffic accident in May
of 1977. but Mr. Brewer will be moving there in 1978. The property is
presently occupied by the younger Brewer daughter and family. Edward
and Pamela O'Rourke and children.
Mrs. Ruth Anderson was instrumental in the organization of several
girls' 4-H clubs in the early days of that club work. She also helped
organize the Home Extension Unit.
In addition to his class room teaching. Mr. Anderson organized and
directed boys' 4-H clubs in dairy. hogs. poultry and gardening: was
active in the Farm Bureau organization and from 1926 on. used the farm
property to demonstrate the practical application of his class room
and 4-H instruction. He raised dairy cattle and poultry: demonstrated
grafting and budding plants and trees. and caponizing.
During World War II, he supervised a community cannery where area
residents could bring their raw fruits and vegetables and have them
professionally sealed in tin cans. Such varied products as green
beans, baked beans. peaches. apples. beets, tomatoes and peaches were canned.
One busy day over 2500 cans of peaches were processed.
Mr. Anderson, as well as his wife, had a life-long interest in the
Methodist Church. and both were active in various phases of its work.
Mrs. Anderson presently lives in Henry County. IL. Now at 89. she is
looking forward to coming back to Jefferson County next year!
Some ommisions may have occured to protect living individuals.
Source: Facts and Folks of Jefferson County, Illinois Page 73 & 74
Submitted by Sandy Whalen Bauer