JEFFERSON COUNTY ILLINOIS
BIOGRAPHIES

ASHEL BATEMAN

Ashel Bateman and his wife Milly Johnson came to Jefferson Co. Ill.
in 1819. Also with them came Milly's father and mother, Lewis and Frances 
Winn (Stone) Johnson, and their children, and Lewis Johnson's widowed 
mother, Mrs. John Johnson. On April 16th, 1819 Lewis Johnson was
granted 180 acres of land in section 22, Shiloh township, where they all 
lived together.

Lewis Johnson was born in Louisa County in Virginia in March, 1776. He 
was a descendant of James T. Johnson who came to America in 1690. 
Besides being a farmer, Lewis was a Methodist Episcopal preacher. His 
two sons James E. and John T. were also preachers, who lived and died
in Jefferson County. Lewis died January 29, 1857.

Ashel Bateman, Johnson's son-in-law, was a native of Edgecombe
County, North Carolina. He was born February 23, 1794. He served his 
country in the war of 1812, having enlisted in Wilson Co. Tennessee. 
After arriving in Jefferson County, Ashel and Milly had ten children. 
Ashel served in both the Black Hawk and Mexican wars. Ashel died 
March 22, 1846, and is buried in Pleasant Grove cemetery in Jefferson County. 
Milly was later given a grant of 200 acres of land in Rome Township. She 
died at Mount Zion, Illinois on January 31, 1883.

Henry Bateman, one of their sons, joined the Army and was sent to Fort 
Walla Walla, in what was then Oregon Territory. After his release he 
settled there for a time, but later returned to Jefferson County. He 
married Minerva E. Piper on February 7, 1865.

Harvey Barger Bateman (Henry's younger brother) married Louisa Jane 
Hodges (daughter of William J. Hodges). They had two children. Louisa 
Jane died and Harvey, with the two sons, Charles and Pliny, moved to
the west coast along with Henry Bateman. They settled in Walla Walla
county, Oregon Territory, which later became the state of Washington. 
Harvey Bateman bought land in that territory and part of it was a former 
Indian camp ground. It was called Shiloh in memory of his boyhood home 
back in Jefferson County, Illinois, This land was later acquired by the
State of Washington and is now known as the Lewis and Clark Trail State
Park.



*NOTE*
Some ommisions may have occured to protect living individuals.


"Facts and Folks A History of Jefferson County, Illinois"
Jefferson County Historical Society
Printed by Taylor Publishing Company, Dallas, TX Page 85
Submitted by Sandy Whalen Bauer


Visit RootsWeb
 HOME | Biography Index Page
Please send additions & corrections to 
Jefferson County Coordinator Cindy Ford
© 2005-2014 by Cindy Ford
All rights reserved