JEFFERSON COUNTY ILLINOIS
In 1852 Russell Brown bought 160 acres in Sect. 8, Pendleton Twp.
from Jacob Scott for $1.70 per acre. This homestead had been originally
purchased from the U.S. Govt. In .1819, by James Kelley. In 1854,
thinking that the L&N R.R. might pass through his farm, Russell laid
out the town of Lynchburg, named for Mr. Lynch, owner of large tracts of
land. Homes were built and the town boasted a school, church, and a
store, owned by Mr. Brown. When the L&N bypassed them and went through
what is now Opdyke, the people moved with it, but the road in front of
the Brown farm still bears the name of Lynchburg Road.
Russell was born in New York in 1824 and moved to Ill. from Ky. with
his wife Mary Bennet. Except for the time he served as a Lieut. in the
Civil War, he lived the rest of his life on this farm. In 1879, Thomas Brown
and wife Laura Polen, acquired additional land in Sections 6 and 7, the
farm now consists of 349 acres and is farmed by Ralph McPherson and his
wife Iona Brown who inherited and bought the farm from the other Brown
heirs. They live in a mobile home which replaced the home that Iona was
born in, in 1904. Russell McPherson, (great grandson), his wife Brenda,
and three sons, bought a small tract of the land and built a home there
In 1972, the McPhersons accepted an invitation to the office of Gov.
Ogilve to receive the Centennial Farm Certificate of Awards. These
awards were made to farms that had been in the same family for 100
Some ommisions may have occured to protect living individuals.
Source: "Facts and Folks A History of Jefferson County, Illinois"
Jefferson County Historical Society
Printed by Taylor Publishing Company, Dallas, TX Page 103
Submitted by Sandy Whalen Bauer