Dr. Willoughby ADAMS has also been mentioned as one of the early excellent physicians to
locate in Jefferson County. He came here in the early Twenties and located first
in the small village of Mt. Vernon where he followed his profession.
Later he located in Dodds Township on the old
Goshen Road, southeast of Mt. Vernon some four or five miles. His services
were valuable, as the ague was a frequent visitor in every household. He
was also reputed to be a good surgeon for those days. On one occasion,
some men who had visited a grocery at Ham's Grove, where they sold intoxicating
liquors, became embroiled in a general fight. One man who had an old hawk-billed
knife raked his antagonist across the abdominal walls until the intestines
were protruding. He was carried up to Dr. ADAMS home where the
doctor dressed him, sewed up the wound and the patient recovered.
His popularity grew in the estimation of the people,
and as early as 1841 he was chosen as one of the county commissioners,
in which capacity he served with honor and was frequently re-elected. In
1849 he was chosen Associate Justice of the County Court. This position
he filled for many years. He was the first practicing physician in Dodds
Township and was also the first county surveyor. He erected a home on the
old Goshen Road near what is now Arnold Cemetery. The chimney was built
of stones, and one large stone had engraved on it "1833" which was probably
the year it was erected.
Uncle John MILLS, who died in Dodds Township
a few years ago at the age of 103, married a daughter of Dr. ADAMS.
At his own request, he was buried a short distance
from his residence, where more of his family are sleeping the sleep that
knows no waking, in Arnold Cemetery.
Source:Jefferson County History Historical Bureau 1962
Submitted By: Misty Flannigan Dec 1997