JEFFERSON COUNTY IL
Dr. J. H. Watson
|DR. J. H. WATSON, Woodlawn Among the able
practitioners of Materia Medica in Shiloh Township is Dr. J. H. Watson,
whose name heads this brief biography. He is a native of the county, born
July 31, 1846, and is a son of John H. and Elizabeth M. (Rankin) Watson.
The father was a carpenter by occupation, and in his latter years gave
his attention to the office of Justice of the Peace at Mount Vernon. He
was a native of Virginia, and son of Dr. Watson, a native of England, who
first settled in Virginia and afterward in Jefferson County, Ill. She is
a native of Pennessee and the mother of nine children, of whom seven
are now living, our subject being the youngest child. He was reared and
educated in the city of Mount Vernon, and where he studied medicine with
Dr. Green. He afterward attended medical lectures in Cincinnati and St
Louis, and graduated from the medical college of the latter place in l867.
He first began the practice of medicine in in Dunklin County, Mo. In 1868,
he returned to his native county and located in Woodlawn, where he has
since remained, with the exception of two years spent in Colorado. He was
married in Woodlawn in 1870, to Miss Melissa, daughter of William Wood,
for whom the town of Woodlawn was named. This union has been blessed with
the followmg children: E1izabeth Neva and Thomas Bertrand. The Dortor is
an enterprisining, public-spirited citizen, and is an honor to the
profession to which he is devoted. He is a member of the A. F. & A.
M.and a Democrat in politics.
SOURCE: "History of Jefferson County, Illinois"
Wm. Henry Perrin 1883
SUBMITTED BY: Misty Flannigan Dec 1997
Please send additions, corrections to
Jefferson County Coordinator Cindy Ford
© 2005-2012 by Cindy Ford
All rights reserved