Dr. J. W. Peavler
Dr. J. W. Peavler. One of the most successful
physicians of this county is the gentleman whose name heads this sketch,
and who was born in Washington County, Ind., July 20, 1840. Our subject
is a son of Gabriel, whose sketch appears elsewhere in this work, and Nancy
(McKinney) Peavler. The father was a native of tennessee, the mother
of Washington County, Ind. Subject was the third of twelve children,
and of that number six are now living. When two years old,
his father came to Clark County, Ind.; there our subject was first permitted
to attend school. In 1856, his father came to jefferson County, and
settled in Spring GardenTownship, and here subject attended school until
eighteen, and then taught for two years in that township. He next
went to Mount Vernon, where he read medicine with his Uncle, Dr. H. J.
Peavler. With this gentleman he remained three years, and then went
to Medical Department of the Michigan State University, located at Ann
Arbor, from which institution he graduated in 1864. He immediatley
located at Knobs Prarie, this county, and ther practiced some five years.
From that location he went to Chicago, and there practiced for about one
year, also attending lectures. He next came to his present location
in Spring Garden Township, where he has practiced most of the time since,
except in 1878, when he attended the American Medical College, Cincinatti,
and also graduated from that institution. His present practice extends
over a large portion of this county and pertions of Franklin County.
The Doctor is at present a member of the Missouri State Medical Society.
Dr. Peavler was married, August 4, 1867, to Victoria Hagle, a daughter
of John W. and Mahalia Boswell Hagle. This lady is a native of this
county, and is the mother of six children, five of whom are now living--Eugene,
Minnie, Mazie, ethel and Harry. Subject is a member of Williams Lodge,
No 242, I.O.O.F., of Spring Garden, and No. 765, Ewing Lodge, A.F. &
A.M. In politics, is a republican
SOURCE: "History of Jefferson County, Illinois"
Wm. Henry Perrin 1883
SUBMITTED BY: Misty Flannigan