Dr. Rolland Carr Richardson, prominent in Mt.
Vernon dentistry for nearly forty years, was born, August 9, 1874, in Ramsey.
Illinois, the sixth of seven children of Martin and Artemissa Wesner Richardson.
He attended school in Louisville. Kentucky. and was graduated from the
University of Cincinnati, College of Dentistry, in 1901. He practiced in
Mt. Vernon from 1904 until his death from a heart attack, Novemher 23.1943.
For many years his office was on the second floor
of the old Third National Bank building at the NW corner of the square,
where he shared a reception room with Dr. Andy and Dr. Charlie Hall. physicians.
"R. C.." as he was known, took a great interest
in local affairs and was an ardent sportsman and hunter. He was captain
and pitcher of the Doctors' baseball team in the early part of the century
and an active member of the Illinois Fox Hunter's Association. He raised
and successfully showed many white leghorn chickens and airedale dogs.
as well as harness and saddle horses. In later years he served as judge
of saddle horse classes at area horse shows.
He married. June 12.1907, Nellie Louise Patton,
daughter of banker. Frank E. Patton and his deceased wife, Annie Var-nell.
Mrs. Richardson died at the age of 88. February 23, 1972, in Tulsa. Oklahoma.
They were the parents of one son, Frank Martin
Richardson. now a retired Commander, USNR. of Albuquerque. New Mexico.
and one daughter. Mrs. L. Don Turner of Tulsa, Oklahoma.