JEFFERSON COUNTY IL 
BIOGRAPHIES
EARL GREEN, M.D.
EARL GREEN, M.D.  

The son and the grandson of able and prominent physicians, Dr. Earl Green, 
himself a talented exponent of the medical profession, occupies no insignificant 
place in the professional and social life of Mount Vernon, the city in which he 
was born and reared, and where in maturer life he has conducted his medical practice. 

Born on September 1, 1861, Dr. Earl Green is the son of Dr. Willis Duff Green, a 
native of Kentucky and born near Danville. His father, Dr. Duff Green, was a native 
of Virginia and was of English parentage. Dr. Duff Green served as surgeon in Barbee's 
Regiment of Kentucky Volunteer Infantry in the War of 1812. He practiced medicine in 
Danville, Kentucky, until 1844, at which time he removed to Pulaski, Tennessee. 

In 1846 he migrated to Mount Vernon, Illinois, where he spent the remainder of his life, 
passing away at the age of seventy-three years. His son, Willis Duff Green, followed in 
the footsteps of the father and entered the medical profession. He was educated in 
Centre College, Transylvania University at Lexington, and was graduated from the 
Cincinnati College of Medicine in 1844. He eventually became one of the more eminent 
practitioners in Illinois, and aside from his professional attainments, was particularly 
prominent as a citizen of note. He was president of the company which built the first 
railroad into Mount Vernon, and was connected with various other enterprises of a public 
nature. He was prominent in fraternal circles, and was grand master of the Illinois 
Independent Order of Odd Fellows in 1858 and grand representative to the Odd Fellows 
national convention in 1859. He was prominent in a political way, being an adherent of 
the Democratic party, and was a delegate to the Democratic national convention in 1876, 
which nominated Samuel J. Tilden for the presidency. 

In 1845 Dr. Green married Corrinna L., daughter of Isaac Morton, a merchant of Hartford, 
Kentucky, of New England ancestry. Dr. and Mrs. Green were the parents of ten children, 
six of whom are living at present. They are Alfred M., an attorney in Gainesville, Texas; 
Inez I., instructor in Southern Illinois Normal University at Carbondale; Laura Reed; 
Minnie; William H., judge of circuit court, and of whom more extended mention is made 
elsewhere in this sketch; and Earl, practicing physician of Mount Vernon. The four deceased 
were Duff, Cora Lee, Maidelyn F., and Lucille. 

The father, Dr. Duff Green, passed away on September 5, 1905, at the age of eighty-four 
years. The youth and boyhood of Dr. Earl Green were passed in attendance upon the public 
schools of Mount Vernon, and finishing his studies there, he entered the State Normal 
at Normal, Illinois, following which he entered the University of Michigan at Ann Arbor, 
studying there from 1881 to 1883. He then entered the Bellevue Hospital Medical Schools 
of New York City, graduating therefrom in 1884. He began the practice of medicine in 
Mount Vernon, than which no fitter place could be named for the son of the leading member 
of the medical profession in that city for many years. He has carried on the good works 
of his honored father, winning to himself an extensive practice, as well as the unqualified 
respect and esteem of the best citizenship of his native town. Dr. Green's prominence in 
the communal life of Mount Vernon is not alone confined to his profession and its practice. 
He is a stockholder in the Jefferson State Bank, as well as a member of its directorate. 
He is a member of various fraternal organizations of a social and other nature, one of 
them being the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks of Mount Vernon, and as an adjunct 
to his professional labors, he is a member of the County, State and American Medical 
Associations. 

Dr. Green is a man widely read and of fine scholarly attainments, and his circle of friends 
in Mount Vernon is bounded only by the limits of his acquaintance. Among other members of 
the family of Dr. Willis Duff Green who have attained a generous portion of prominence in 
Mount Vernon and Southern Illinois is Judge William H. Green, a brother of Dr. Earl Green 
of this sketch, and it is not unfit that a few words be said here in connection with the 
life and accomplishments of Judge Green. William H. Green was born in Mount Vernon on 
October 14, 1858. He was educated in the public schools of the city, and following his 
graduation therefrom he entered the University of Michigan in 1877, pursuing a literary 
and legal course in that splendid institution in 1878. For two years thereafter he studied 
law in the offices of a prominent firm and in 1880 he was admitted to the bar. Mr. Green 
began the practice of his profession in Mount Vernon, his efforts from the first being 
attended by a pleasurable degree of success. In 1882 he served as master in chancery, 
and in the same year was elected to the office of city attorney, retaining the office 
for two years. In 1884 he was elected state's attorney of Jefferson county, filling 
the office in such a manner that he was reelected in 1888. From the beginning of his public 
career honor followed upon honor, and no office within the gift of his fellow men in 
Jefferson county and his district has been withheld from him. In 1894 Mr. Green was 
elected to the house of representatives in the Illinois Legislature, serving one term, 
with honor and credit to himself and his constituents. In 1909 he was elected to the 
office of circuit judge in the judicial district comprising the counties of Hardin, 
Gallatin, White, Hamilton, Franklin, Jefferson, Wayne, Edwards, Wabash, Richland, Lawrence 
and Crawford, and is still the incumbent of that office. In 1896 be was a delegate to 
the national Democratic convention at Chicago, and he was a member of the notification 
committee which informed William J. Bryan of his nomination. Judge Green has been president 
of the Jefferson State Bank and is now a member of its directorate and a stockholder 
in the institution. He served as president of the Illinois Bankers Fire Insurance Company 
during its life, and has been active in the administration of the affairs of numerous other 
concerns. Judge Green is prominent as a fraternalist, being a member of the Benevolent 
and Protective Order of Elks, Knights of Pythias, Ancient Free and Accepted Masons, including 
the Chapter and Knights Templar, and of the Independent Order of Red Men. 





Source: History of Southern Illinois George Washington Smith, M. A. VOLUME I - III ILLUSTRATED THE LEWIS PUBLISHING COMPANY CHICAGO AND NEW YORK 1912 Page 1352 - 1354
Submitted by Robert W. Loman * rwlmn@aol.com

 
Biography Index Page
Visit RootsWeb
HOME
Please send additions, corrections to 
Jefferson County Coordinator Cindy Ford
© 2005-2012 by Cindy Ford
All rights reserved