MRS. DELPHA A. MOORE
MRS. DELPHA A. MOORE, who is now living on section 16, Grand
Prairie Township, Jefferson County, is one of the oldest settlers of the
community. She was born in Butler County, Ky., October 12, 1812, and is
a daughter of George Anderson, who was also a native of the same county.
When her father was about twenty years of age, he married Jennie Worrell,
an accomplished young lady of Butler County, and they became the parents
of five children: Isaac, Moses, Taber, Melinda and Polly. The mother of
this family having died, Mr. Anderson afterward wedded Elizabeth Waters,
by whom he had three children: Delpha A.; George, who married Susan Avants,
and resides in Assumption, Ill.; and Crittenden, who married Elizabeth
Breeze, and died near Richview, Ill. The father of this family died in
Butler County, Ky., and Mrs. Elizabeth Anderson afterward became the wife
of David Roper, who was born in Sumner County, Tenn., in October, 1779.
Removing to Kentucky, he was there married, and by his first union had
five children: Matthew, Franklin, Marion, Jack and Jane. In the fall of
1816, Mr. Roper emigrated to Illinois with pack mules and horses and located
near Carlyle, where he spent about three years. He then went to Mississippi,
but finally returned to Illlinos and settled on section 33, Centralia Township,
Marion County. Two years later, however, he sold that farm and purchased
six hundred and forty acres of land on section 9, Grand Prairie, Township.
His death occurred January 1, 1854, and his wife died in 1859. They were
held in high esteem for their many excellencies of character by all who
knew them. Mrs. Moore came to Illinois with her step-father in 1826, and
remained in his home until her marriage. On the 30th of December, 1832,
she became the wife of William Moore, and for about six years they lived
in Centralia Township, Marion County. In 1838 they located on section 15,
Grand Prairie Township, where Mr. Moore purchased three hundred and forty
acres of land. Cultivation and improvement have made it one of the valuable
farms of the neighborhood. A handsome residence was erected, large barns
built, and all the accessories and conveniences of a model farm were added.
All this was not accomplished however without much hard work, and while
Mr. Moore labored in the fields, his wife sat at the spinning-wheel, and
all the clothing for herself and family was spun and woven by her hands.
The husband went to St. Louis about four times a year with the farm produce,
exchanging it for groceries, boots and shoes. He had to drive to Belleville,
a distance of sixty miles, for all the flour used. The family bore all
the experiences and hardships of frontier life, but yet those days were
not unmixed with happiness, and many pleasant memories cluster about them.
Unto Mr. and Mrs. Moore were born ten children, but five are now deceased,
namely: Andrew J., Job, Melinda, Sarah and Elizabeth. Those living are,
Zadoc, who married Nancy Beadles and resides In Bond County, Ill.; Melvina,
wife of James Bateman, of Bond County; Isaac, who married Josephine Adams
and resides in Farina; Harvey, who wedded Lulu Perry and is living on the
old homestead; and Margaret, wife of Jackson Robinette, who is living near
Kinmundy. Mr. Moore passed away July 2, 1873, and the honored pioneer,
whose life was so well worthy of emulation, was deeply mourned by many
friends. Mrs. Moore has been a member of the Methodist Church for sixty
years. She has now reached the age of eighty-two, but is still well preserved
and is a very interesting talker. She is indeed one of the honored pioneers
of the county, for she has witnessed almost its entire growth and development,
and the history of its frontier life is familiar to her.
Source: "Portrait and Biographical Record of Clinton, Washington, Marion
and Jefferson Counties, Illinois. Containing Biographical Sketches of Prominent
and Representative Citizens of the Counties, Together with Biographies
and Portraits of all the Governors of the State and the Presidents of the
United States," Chicago: Chapman Publishing Co., 1894
Submitted by: MARK STROHBECK