George W. Page
GEORGE W. PAGE, whose sketch now claims attention, is one of the representative
farmers of Spring Garden Township, Jefferson County, and a gentleman highly respected
alike for his good business qualifications and his upright character. He is at present
engaged in the cultivation of one hundred acres of land on section 21, which he manages
in a manner to yield him a fine income.
Our subject was born in the above township May 17, 1847, and is one in a family of
six children born to his parents, of whom those living besides himself ar Thomas D. and
Ruth M., the latter now Mrs. F.M. Miller), both of Jackson County, this state.
The parents of these children were William R. and Betsey (Burrows) Page, the former of
whom was born in Virginia in 1825. He was the eldest of the seven children born to his
parents, and was a lad of ten years when he accompanied them on their emigration to the
Prairie State, at which time they located in Spring Garden Township. This was in 1835,
and the family then were classed among the early settlers of the township. They settled
on Congress land, which was later deeded to them, and there the father spent his entire life,
passing away in 1881, when fifty-six years of age. His good wife, who was also a Virginia
by birth, died there in 1876.
George W. Page, of this sketch, psent his early life on his father's farm and aided in
the support of the family until 1867, when, having attained his majority, he started out
in life for himself. February 1 of that year he apprenticed himself to learn the blacksmith's
trade, and after a service of two years went to Nashville, this state, where he was engaged
for a year in that line of work, and later worked in Batesville, Ark. On returning to Illinois,
he opened a shop in the village of Spring Garden, which he conducted until about six years ago.
Eight years prior to this time, however, he purchased the farm on which he is now residing,
and which was then known as the James Vaughn place. He took up his abode on his estate in 1880,
and soon thereafter erected a fine residence, and blacksmith and wagon shops. In connection
with farm pursuits, he is also carrying on a prosperous business working at his trade, and
besides the manufacturre of wagons and carriages, handles all kinds of agricultural implements,
and thus supplies the farmers of this region with all things needful for the carrying on of
The lady to whom Mr. Page was married August 10, 1869, was Miss Jemima J. Addison. She was
born in Kentucky and is the daughter of Jonathan Addison, who reared a large family of children.
Her parents came to Illinois about 1854 and located in Pendleton Township, Jefferson County,
where she met and married our subject. Their union has been blessed by the birth of three
children: William R.; Cora Belle, Mrs. Ed McCullum, of Thompsonville, Franklin County; and
In politics, though formerly a Populist, Mr. Page in 1888 voted for Benjamin Harrison, and
since that time has been a strong Republican. Socially, he is a member of Williams Lodge
No. 242, I.O.O.F., with which he has been connected for the past eighteen years. He is public
spirited and takes great delight in advancing the interests of his community.
"Portrait and Biographical Record of Clinton,
Washington, Marion and Jefferson Counties, Illinois"
Published by Chapman Publishing Company of Chicago in 1894
Submitted by Sandy (Whalen) Bauer