Lewis Campbell Waters
WATERS, LEWIS CAMPBELL, Belle Rive, was born May 17, 1850. His
father, Moses WATERS, a farmer by trade, wasborn in Wilkes County, N.C.,
in 1806, from which State he emigrated with his father, Isaac WATERS, to
Tennesee, where he remained until 1834, the year from which dates his location
in Jefferson County, Ill. Soon after his arrival at the last-named place,
he was married to Elizabeth CAMPBELL, daughter of Scotch parents, her father,
Dougald CAMPBELL, being a descendant of the famous CAMPBELL family of Scotland.
This union was the result of six children---Elizabeth, John C., Isaac N.,
George W., Lewis C., and William D. WATERS. Of these, the first two died
at the ages of three and five years respectively. The remaining four---except
Isaac N., who now resides in Southern Kansas---are present residents of
this county. But few of the early settlers of this county did more to encourage
the cause of education in their respective localities than Moses WATERS.
With him the student was always a welcome guest. He died at his farm residence,
half a mile north of the present site of Belle Rive, Ill., February 14,
1875, in the sixty-ninth year of his age, his wife, Elizabeth having departed
this life March 10, 1864. George W., now one of Jefferson County's most
experienced teachers divides his time alternately between his profession
and farm. W.D.
(William) WATERS, the youngest of the family, is a man of liberal education,
having studied three or four different languages, including the German,
which language he speaks with ease and fluency. The last six years of his
life have been devoted to the study of medicine, upon the practice of which
profession he expects soon to enter. Lewis C. WATERS, the true subject
of this sketch, is next youngest of the family. His father sent him to
the district school until he was ninteen years of age, by which time he
had completed the common school branches, including the elements of algebra.
During the winter of 1870, he was engaged in the business of teaching,
and thus earned sufficient means to defray his expenses at the select school
of Prof. John TURRENTINE, who afterward founded the Enfield High School.
Here his time was devoted to the study of the elements of the natural sciences
and higher algebra. In 1873, he entered Ewing College, where he spent several
terms, teaching at intervals to defray expenses. In the spring of 1876,
he entered upon the study of the law with Judge T.B. STELLE, of Hamilton
County, as his preceptor. August 30, 1977, he was married to Miss Hettie
E. VANCE, daughter of the Rev. T.M. VANCE, of Franklin County, Ill., the
result of which marriage is two daughters---Lottie and Maud, aged respectively
four and two years. The year following his marriage, Mr. WATERS resided
in the village of Belle Rive, continuing his legal studies with the Hon.
T.S. CASEY, now Presiding Judge, as his preceptor. It was here he first
engaged in the practice of his profession. In the fall of 1879, he removed
Franklin County, this state, where he was engaged in the practice of
the law till January, 1883, being admitted to the bar in the sping of 1880.
He now resides with his family at Belle Rive, Ill., and is numbered with
the bar of his native county. His energies in the future will chiefly be
devoted to the study and practice of criminal jurisprudence.
SOURCE: History of Jefferson County, Illinois. Ed: William Henry Perrin 1883
Submitted by Carol Cicotte
Oct 26, 1997