KIDS, RAILROADS, PEOPLE & ACTIVITIES

STORIES OF A SMALL RAILROAD TOWN

IN THE 1930'S, 40'S & 50'S

...........by George.       John R. Warren


BLUFORD CHURCHES
In Bluford there were two main churches, the Baptist and the U. B. The Baptist always had a larger attendance than the U. B. Both the Baptist and the U. B. were L shaped that is they sort of had a main big room and a side room.
Both churches held Vacation Bible School for kids during the summer. Baptisms always had to be done in the summer, because they were done down at the Bluford Lake.
Both churches had church bells, and they would ring them on Sunday mornings. The "first bell" was rang 1/2 hour before, then they had a 5 minute before bell, and at last a bell when it was time to start.
There was also the Church of God, and the Community, later Nazerine Church in Marham City, besides the out-lying churches like Hickory Hill, Mt. Olive, and others.

The U. B. Church

The Baptist Church

Bluford
Visit RootsWeb
HOME
Please send additions, corrections to 
Jefferson County Coordinator Cindy Ford
© 2005-2012 by Cindy Ford
All rights reserved