New Hope Webb Missionary Baptist Church
New Hope "Webb" Baptist Church
The exact date the church was organized is not known.
It is on record that New Hope Church hosted the annual Baptist
Association meeting in the year 1858. Since all original
records and church minutes were destroyed in a fire prior to
1862,the exact date of establishment and charter members are
not known. Charter members are not known, but early names
include: Williams, Hill, Frost, Reynolds, Henson, Spencer,
Modglin, Roberts, Gardner, Driver, Bryant, Fuller, Webb,
Marshall, Greer, McMillion, Watkins, Fiser, Ranes, Champ,
Weatherford, Holtsclaw, Piper, England, Ferguson, Uhles,
Mellott, Dodson, Talbot, Stover, King, Jarren, Bough, Riley,
Moore, and Prosise.
The church is presumed to have existed for quite some
time prior to this date. The first minutes on record are in
the year 1862; New Hope had no pastor at that time. Messengers
to the association were John Waller and William Spencer. New
Hope membership numbered sixty-one. Early members of the
church helped organize the Woodlawn Baptist Church in 1871 and
later Drivers Baptist Church in 1893. Many members moved their
membership to these churches nearer their homes.
The church's first building was of log structure
located in the northeast corner at the intersection of the
Boyd and Richview roads six miles northwest of Mt. Vernon. At
that time it was described as the "Crossroads" or "Homer
Piercy's Barn Lot". In 1872, this land was deeded to the
church for as long as it was remained of worship, said land
would revert back to Williamson C. Webb and/or his wife Mary
M. Webb. Those serving as trustees for the church were Issac
Hill, William P. Fiser, and John W. Watkins.
In November 1879, the church voted to build a new
framed building of wood near the original log church. The
committee appointed Joseph T. Payne, J. R. Driver, H.J.
Holtsclaw, John W. Watkins, and Williamson C. Webb. The
carpenter chosen to build the church was John Willis of
Centralia Road. The fact that the church still stands and is
in use today is a tribute to his tremendous talent and ability.
In April 1880, it was voted by the church to move the
new church returning the land and log church back to
Williamson C. Webb. The church's first building was of log
structure located in the Northeast corner at the intersection
of the Boyd and Richview Roads, six miles Northwest of Mt.
Vernon. On the 27th day of November, 1872, this land was
deeded to the church where it would remain property of the
church as long as it remained a house of worship. In the event
it ceased to be a house of worship, said land would revert
back to Williamson C. Webb and his wife Mary M. Webb. Those
serving as trustees for the church at this time were Issac
Hill, William P. Fiser and John W. Watkins.
In August 1889 a vote was taken to move the church one
and a half miles northeast near the switch at Webb Station.
(At that time Webb was a thriving village with business
places, a railroad and station. The Jacksonville Railroad ran
from the Louisville and Nashville Railroad at Drivers, north
and westerly through Webb and Boyd to Jacksonville. The "Jack"
railroad was torn up, starting early on a Sunday morning in
1902.) On December 26. 1889, Williamson C. Webb (his wife,
Mary M. was deceased by now.) deeded the land in the town of
Webb to be the property of New Hope Baptist Church forever.
The building was moved then to it's present location.
In 1936 old schoolmates of the first Webb school
(which stood in the woods north of the present church on the
Rome-Shiloh township road) organized a homecoming to be held at
the church. The organizing committee was Eldridge Webb,
(son of Williamson C. Webb), Walter Greer and Frank Walker.
Electricity came to the church with the coming of
Rural Electrification in 1938 along with an all purpose road
in the 1940's. In 1942 a new roof was placed on the church
and a beautiful hardwood floor was laid in 1943. In 1950 concrete steps,
sidewalks, insulation and a new ceiling were added. In 1954 under
the leadership of pastor L.A. Adams the church voted to build and
educational building of eight rooms. An oil furnace was installed
replacing the old coal stove which sat in the middle of the room.
This project was completed the same year debt free.
In 1959 new pews and pulpit furniture replaced the original furniture.
Under the leadership of pastor Dale Brookman in 1961,
the church voted to build a new entrance to the church.
A vestibule nursery and classroom were added, heated by electricity.
In 1966, new roofing, storm doors, and a speaker system were added.
In 1967 paneling was added to classrooms in the educational department.
New carpeting and paneling were also added to the auditorium. In August 1968,
a new gas furnace, central air conditioning, and aluminum siding were added.
On August 29-30 that year New Hope church hosted Salem South Association's
115 the annual session. Moderator was Elder Frank L. Trotter with
Br. Melvin Chambliss bringing the annual sermon and Bro. Dale Brookman
serving as alternate for sermon. There were 341 in attendance.
The church sponsored Bro. Dale Brookman for a crusade in Jamaica in 1971.
1977 brought a new fellowship hall with capability to use it for classrooms
as the church continued to grow. Remodeling of the church continued
in the 1980's with installation of stain glass windows, lowering the ceiling,
refinishing the walls, reading the pews and new carpeting.
In 1987 the fellowship hall was doubled is size and a kitchen
and bathroom added. The church parking lot was asphalted and sealed in 1991.
A new roof was put on the church and a home-bounded tape ministry began.
The church was resided in 2001.
New Hope Baptist Church has seen many changes over the years
from preaching once a month in the early years to bimonthly in the 1940's
and in 1953 went to have a full-time pastor as is the practice today.
The church is an active member of the Salem South Association,
supporter of the Carmi Baptist Children's Center and
Angel's Cove maternity center in Mt. Vernon, as well as contributing
to the state and foreign missions. New Hope takes a real interest
in the needs of the community and round about by helping with the
Disaster Relief Program and the Carpenters for Christ organization.
The church host an annual Homecoming which was established in 1936
on the first Sunday in September.
New Hope Baptist Church's continued growth is evidence that
God still touches hearts and changes lives today. May his love, mercy,
and grace continue to bless this church. Visitors are welcome.
Sunday School 10:00 Worship service 11:00
Sunday evening 6:00 Wednesday evening 7:00
Thomas J. Burton 1866-1872
B.D. Esmon 1872-1877
Joseph T. Payne 1878, 1881, 1883-1884,1904-1908
(First minister on record to be ordained in the church-year 1878. Called to pastor
that same year, salary $60.00 per year, later increased to $100.00 per year)
J. H. Murray 1882
W. W. Hay 1885
Cal Richardson 1886, 1891-1899
Enoch Beal 1900
Elder Prints 1901
Sirus Butler 1902-1903
Ambrose Harshburger 1909-1910
Elder Hall 1911
Frank L. Karn 1912,1915-1916, 1938-1940
J. B. Hall 1913
Paris D. Tittle 1917
J. L. Jordan 1918
C. H. Calvin 1919
D. L. Mooney 1920-1921
Raymond Walker 1922
W. J. Anderson 1923-1924
R. H. Page 1925
J. D. Burton 1927-1928
Bird Green 1930-1931
Clarence Greer 1933-1937
E. J. Cravens 1941 (died while still Pastor)
Raymond Pierce 1942
Cyrus Maulding 1943
David Goddard 1944
L. A. Adams 1945-1949, 1954
Paul Callias 1950
Melvin Chambliss 1951
Byford King 1952
Gene Auxier 1953
Melvin (Buck) Larson 1955-1956
Virgil Barr 1957
Joe Sledge 1958
Douglas Cox 1959-1960
Sam McCoy (supplied after Bro. Cox resigned)
Dale Brookman 1960-1976
Allen England 1976-1981 (died while still pastor)
Steve Chambliss 1981-1983
Richard Mays 1983-1986
Ron Trotter 1986-1991
Alan Smith 1991-current