West Long Prairie Christian Church
Submitted By: West Long Prairie Church
The land the West Long Prairie Church is on was donated by
George Rightnowar, in the 1800's. The first building of the Long
Prairie Church was completely destroyed by fire on the evening of
July 1, 1930.
The building and it's contents were insured for $800.00
which was paid and used to rebuild another church building.
Thursday August 28, 1930 approximatley one hundred people
of the community met under "The Old Oak Tree" of the church yard
and voted to rebuild the church.
Three trustees were elected namely: Adam Rutherford, Opal
Elliston and A.D. Rightnowar.
After which a building Committee, consisiting of Orlie
Rutherford, Ed Schmidt and Harve Wells was named.
The new church was finished in the spring of 1932. The new
building has a basement, some of the mean of the community would
take a wagon load of barrels to the creek to fill with water to mix
the concrete for the basement, a lot different than today's cement
truck bring a load to the site and dumping it.
Membership in the spring of 1932 was 28, with 2 elders and
3 deacons. Membership grew to 68 the first year. Revivials were held
yearly, with steady growth, with a part time minister.
There have been several building programs. The first being
14x40 classrooms in 1962. Remodel and extended auditorium a short
time later, built an addition to house the baptistery about 1970.
Built a new auditorium in 1997.
Membership now is around 125 with an average attendance 75
to 80. We have 3 elders, 5 deacons, 2 trustees, a full time minister,
and a youth minister, in 2006