Lorenzo Dow Davenport
A Highly Respected Citizen of Pendleton Township Passes Over the Dark River
Lorenzo Dow DAVENPORT, postmaster at Belle Rive, died at his home
in that village shortly after 6 o'clock yesterday afternoon, of congestion of the
stomach, after a brief illness. Deceased was one of the most influential and best
known citizens of Pendleton township, and leaves a host of warm personal
friends to mourn his death. Mr. DAVENPORT was born in Indiana November
14, 1838, consequently aged 59 years, 5 months and 6 days.
He was of English descent and his father, Edmund DAVENPORT, who was
born in Virginia, came west when a young man and settled in Indiana and afterward
came to this county where he engaged in farming and where he died in 1848.
The mother of the deceased, Mary DAVENPORT, was born in Kentucky and
reared a large family of children.
Mr. DAVENPORT was chiefly educated in the schools of Jefferson county. In his early
life he worked on a farm and afterwards learned the blacksmith's trade which he
followed for twenty-five years. In 1882 he formed a partnership with William HUNTER
and engaged in lumbering and agricultural implement business which was jointly
conducted for several years when Mr. HUNTER sold his interest to Mr. DAVENPORT and
moved to northern Illinois.
He was twice married. His first wife, Mary C. ESTES, died
October 27, 1873, leaving five children. Mr. DAVENPORT'S second marriage
was to Miss Louise S. BUNNELL, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Jesse BUNNELL.
There were six children in the second marriage. In addition to his prominence in
business and social matters he was an old soldier and took an active interest in
Grand Army affairs and everything relating to those who served their country on
The funeral was held at 11:30 this morning with interment at Belle Rive.
The obsequies were conducted by Rev. W. A. BROWDER, assisted by
Rev. J. C. KINNISON. The following officers and members of the Masonic
lodge of this city left on the L & N train this morning to attend the funeral: Dr.
Walter WATSON, S.H. WATSON, Joe V. BAUGH, D.H. WISE, Thos.
JONES, Morris EMMERSON, R.J. BOND, J.H.MITCHELL, F.E. PATTON,
Jo HOWARD and J.W. BAUGH.
April 21, 1898 Mt. Vernon Register News
Submitted By: Sharlet Bigham LaBarbera
Jan 22, 1998
Lorenzo D. Davenport
Lorenzo D. Davenport, more familiarly known as Rube Davenport,
was born in Posey county, Indiana November 14, 1839 and died after less
than one weeks illness at his home in Belle Rive, Jefferson county,
He was united in marriage August 5, 1860, with Mary C. Estes.
To this union six children were born Emma L. died in infancy, Minnie E,
the widow of C. C. Kniffln, Nellie T, the wife of S. T. Laird, Maggie,
Josie the wife of Chas Rogers, Kate the wife of Quince Wilbanks, Jr.
After the death of his first wife he was married to Miss Louisa Bunnel,
Dec. 24, 1874. To this union six children were born: Jessie, Otis,
Evalou, Fannie, Flossie and Bessie. Jessie and Fannie died in infancy;
Leaving five children of the first marriage, four married and one single,
and four of the last, all single, with their mother to survive their loss.
Mr. Davenport was a soldier in the last war, a member of the G A. R.
and a prominent Mason. His brethern of Bell Rive Lodge No. 696, having
such confidence and respect for him, honored him many times by electing
him Worshipful Master. He was prominent in polities, being a staunch
republican, and has been elected by his party as supervisor of
Pendelton township, and other minor offices. He was appointed postmaster
under Harrison's administration and again under McKinley's, being postmaster
at his death. He was always found on the side of morlity and temperance,
a man that was respected by his neighbors and acquaintances.
His funeral was preached by Rev. W. A. Browder, assisted by Rev. J. C. Kinnison
in the M. E. Church in Bell Rive, April 21, 1898, to a very large audience of
relatives and friends. He was then buried under the auspices of the
Masonic Lodge of Bell Rive, assisted by Masons from Mt. Vernon, Opdyke
and Dahlgren lodges, and his body laid to rest in the cemetery north of
Date: April 21, 1898
Source: Mt. Vernon area Newspaper/found on
the back of an old picture.
Submitted by: Kathryn Coatney