John Samuel Ellis
b. May 21, 1822 d. 1906 Evansville Indiana
Interred in Oakwood Cemetery Mount Vernon IL.
He married 6 times and fathered 13 children.
Married 1st May 1, 1844 in Batavia Clermont Co. OH
to Maria Leonard b. July 2, 1825 in Batavia she died Jan 5, 1850,
in Batavia Clermont Co. OH of cholera age 24.
DAR records show she was buried at the Old Village Graveyard
1. Henry Lealdas Ellis b. Dec. 14, 1846, Batavia IA
d. Oct. 27, 1896 in Mt Vernon) (age 50)
Interred Oakwood Cemetery, Mt Vernon, IL
2. William Jesse Ellis b. April 5, 1845, Batavia IA
d. Mar. 19, 1898 in Mt. Vernon, IL. (age 53)
Interred West Salem Cemetery, Jefferson Co. IL.
Married 2nd in Feb. 28,1850 Ohio to
Martha Pavey, b 1830 d.1861 (age 31) in Mt. Vernon, IL
1. Nancy Ellis b. Nov. 27, 1850 Batavia Ohio,
d. Aug. 31, 1935 in Los Angeles CA (age 85)
2. Edward Everett b. July 28, 1853 Levington, Ohio
d. Dec. 24, 1926 St. Louis, MO (age 73)
3. John Albert Ellis b. Jan. 25, 1854 Batavia Ohio
d. Oct. 28, 1939. Buhl Idaho, (age 85)
4. Charles F. Ellis July 1855, Ohio
Married 3rd June 14, 1863 Mt. Vernon,IL to
Harriet Heinemann (Elizabeth Moss) b. 1833 IL d.1866 Mt.Vernon IL.(age 39)
She had two children from a previous marriage when they married a son and daughter.
1. Jacob Taylor Ellis b. March 1864 in Mt. Vernon IL.
d. 1906 Carbondale IL.of Typhoid Fever.
He was raised by his Uncle Capt.John R. Moss when his mother died,
who raised him as one of his own. He was well educated and became a
teacher in his own right. He was 42 when he died.
2. Annie Ellis, 1866 died as an infant
3. Myra Ellis b. Nov. 10, 1869, Mt.Vernon IL.
m. Asa O. Collins July 3, 1886
d. 3/21 1934 in Arthur IL.(age 83)
Myra Collins Ogie (Asa), Leta and her husband and baby.
It was a post card but never Posted At the top it says
Leta and her Husband and Baby. On the side it says Ogie
and Myself on the porch. At the bottom it says ,
(In my mom's handwriting) Mothers cousin Leta , Arthur IL.
Married 4th Nov.20 1872 to Louisa M. Carpenter No information
1. George Ellis b.1874 Mount Vernon Il. d 1883 Mount Vernon IL. (age 9)
Married 5th in 1874 to Mrs. Trafton (no other information)
Family Story is they were divorced because she had two grown sons
who didn't like John and they ran him off.
Married 6th September 19, 1891, Vanderburgh County, IN to
Fanny Lawry b. Abt. 1862 in Illinois
1. Morris Lawry Ellis Born 1886 Previous Marriage.
2. Edna Ellis b. 1892, At some point she developed T.B.
and was sent to Buhl, Idaho for her health.
3. Margaret Ellis b. 1895 (no info)
4. Hobert Ellis, b.1897 (no info)
The Family Story is --- Fanny blew into John's yard during a Cyclone,
They became friends and he made her his housekeeper and later married her.
He was 67 and she was 27. They lived in Evansville IN. the census
has his occupation as Upholsterer He died of a stroke at the age of 82.