Table of Contents
When stagecoaches were running, two stage routes intersected in Seward Township, the Frink and Walker stage lines between Chicago and Ottawa and Patterson stage line between Kankakee and Ottawa.
Between, November 29, 1836 and April 25, 1838 Alansing (a. k. a. Alanson) Milks and his wife Ann "Elizabeth" Milks purchased five pieces of land in Seward Township from David E. Davis. In 1836, the Milks built a tavern in section twenty-seven of the township, and both stage lines made regular stops there.
February 3, 1838, Alansing and his wife sold the tavern to Henry Kase Stevens and his wife, Mary A. Stevens who called the tavern "Wolf Tavern."
May 1, 1839, Stevens and his wife sold the tavern to Jacob Patrick, Sr. and his wife Eliza Patrick. The Patricks constructed a new tavern in section 33 of Seward Township, financed by a $4,000 loan from Joel A. Matteson. The inn and complex was on the south side of present day Holt Road, and was known as "Patrick Stand." The tavern became the nucleus of the community of Au Sable.
The original Patrick Stand was a substantial two-story building, but the success of the business warranted its expansion. With the extension, the tavern became a tee-shaped building approximately 32 feet deep from front to rear and 110 feet across the front. It was probably the premier inn on these stage routes. The complex around the hotel included a tavern, blacksmith shop, and other support facilities for the stagecoaches and travelers. A slaughterhouse and icehouse helped supply the traveling public and employee's needs for food and ice.
Pioneer taverns/stage stops were often the focal point of the community. Since the mail was moved by stagecoach they were also a logical choice for the location of a post office. Jacob Patrick, Sr. was appointed postmaster of Au Sable on May 29, 1841. However the tavern probably served as post office much earlier. The stage stop was almost certainly the equivalent of a post office when the tavern opened in 1836. March 15, 1842 the post office was discontinued at Au Sable. May 28, 1842 the post office was reopened there with Horace Gray postmaster.
When the stagecoaches ceased to run, the hotel was converted into a private residence. In 1937 the Kroehler Furniture Company of Naperville, Illinois purchased the original portion of Patrick Stand for the black walnut used in its constructed. The north half of the building was torn down and cut up for firewood. In the same year, a kit home purchased from Sears and Roebuck Company was erected on the site to replace the old tavern.
June 6, 1843, John Short, Sr. purchased lots one and two, block two, original Village of Bristol, from James McClellan. The lots are located on the southwest corner of Somonauk and Center Streets. John constructed his family's home there but later was induced to convert their home into the first tavern in Bristol, which he and his wife, Mary E. (Surre) Short, operated. The tavern was the stagecoach stop and provided a place for teamsters and others to stay. The horses that pulled the stagecoaches were exchanged at Bristol. A horse barn and pasture were located directly across the street from the hotel to accommodate the stage line, its passengers and hotel guest's needs. The Short's daughter, Susan (Short) May, wrote an interesting account of daily life around the tavern. The tavern eventually became known as Bristol House.
Between July 17, 1849 and May 22, 1852; and March 15, 1854 and May 13, 1854; John Short was the Bristol postmaster and the post office was located in the tavern.
The original tavern building was dismantled before June 1864 and replaced by a new hotel building.
The material from the dismantled building was used to construct four or five different dwellings in
Leonard Thorp and his wife, Eliza Thorp succeeded the Shorts in operating the Bristol House..
1850 census of
Thorp, Leonard 49 M NY Innkeeper
Thorp, Eliza 47 F NY
Thorp, Orson L. 22 M NY Carpenter
Thorp, George W. 19 M NY Mason
Thorp, William M. 17 M NY Laborer
Thorp, Henry 14 M NY
Thorp, John 11 M NY
Thorp, Mary 8 F IL
Thorp, Martha 3 F IL
Lawrence, Martin 37 M NY Stage driver
Sometime between 1850 and 1860, Bradford H. Johnson and his wife Harriet P. (Atwood) Johnson became the proprietors of the Bristol House.
1860 census of
Johnson, Bradford H. 50 M MA Hotel keeper
Johnson, Harriet P. (Atwood) 39 F PA
Johnson, Margaret A. 18 F IL
Johnson, Mary Ann 16 F IL
Felch, J. H. 28 M VT Lawyer
Camp, Samuel C. 30 M NY Lawyer
Camp, Mary 27 F NY n. g.
Kimball, W. 28 M NY Artist
Kimball, Angeline 23 F NY
1870 census of Bristol Township, page 47 & 337A, enumeration date June 10, family # 23.
Johnson, Bradford H. 60 M MA Hotel keeper
Johnson, Harriet P. (Atwood) 47 F PA Keeping house
Johnson, Mary Ann 23 F IL
Johnson, George B. 7 M IL
Hollenback, David S. (Johnson's son-in-law) 46 M OH Farmer
Hollenback, Margaret A. (Johnson) 28 F IL
In 1915, what
was known as the Thurber estate was sold to Frank and Nelson Quinsey. The property consisted of lots one, two,
seven and eight of block two of
Alexander McLay/McLeay and his wife Margaret McLay/McLeay built and operated a hotel in Bristol Station.
The hotel was the first building north of the railroad tracks on the west side of
In 1881, storekeeper Horace Young purchased the hotel building for a storeroom.
1860 census of Bristol Station, page 122, enumeration date July 28, family # 833.
McLay, Alexander 50 M Scotland Hotel keeper
McLay, Frank 17 M IL
Knox, Lyman S. 68 M IL
Robinson, Margaret 21 F NY
Booth, Edward H.
Booth, Lucy (McLay) 24 F NY
Lockwood Welch Goodale and his wife, Abigail Catherine (Miller) Goodale ran a hotel in Bristol Station for over forty-two years.
1870 census of Bristol Station, page 58 & 342A, enumeration date June 14, family # 116.
Goodale, Lockwood Welch 45 M MA Restaurateur
Goodale, Abigail Catherine (Miller) 36 F NY Keeping house
Goodale, Mary Elizabeth 18 F IL
Goodale, Lawson N. 14 M IL
Goodale, Hiram Jackson 6 M IL
Goodale, Sarah "Sadie" E. 3 F IL
Lockwood sold the hotel sometime during the early 1870s, but in 1875 he repurchased and renovated the property, reopening it as a hotel.
1880 census of Huntsville (Bristol Station), page 59 & 311A, enumeration date June 18, family # 240.
Goodale, Lockwood Welch 55 M self NY MA NY
Goodale, Abigail Catherine (Miller)
46 F wife
Goodale, Hiram Jackson
16 M son IL
Goodale, Sarah "Sadie" E.
13 F dau IL
Goodale, Frederick N.
7 M son IL
Jeffers, William R.
21 M IL
One of Frink and Walker's stagecoach routes between Chicago and Ottawa passed through Holderman's Grove. In 1833, Levi Hills, Sr. and his wife Sarah (Sears) Hills opened a log tavern in the grove, where the passengers were fed and horses exchanged.
April 4, 1834, Levi Hills, Sr. was appointed postmaster at Holderman's Grove making this the first postal facility in what became Kendall County.
In 1836, Levi moved out on the prairie to the place that became
Jared Bartram and his wife, Elise Bartram, became proprietors of a stage stop on the
Mr. and Mrs. Alexander McClaskey continued to manage the tavern for several years after the Bartrams left.
When stagecoaches no longer came through the area, the tavern became a private residence. In January 1855, the property was purchased by the Elling Eielsen church group to be used as a Lutheran Seminary. The seminary was to be a school of higher education to train Norwegian ministers and teachers. Because of a split in the group, the seminary was only open for one year. When the seminary closed, the building reverted to a farm home.
Mrs. Christina (Jeffrey) Birney ran the Birney Hotel in
In 1902, Mrs. Mary Ella Holmes purchased the Lisbon Hotel. She reopened the hotel, after making appropriate repairs, with the help of Mrs. Craig. 
In 1836, John
Moore moved three miles out on the prairie and built the first house in what became
road between Chicago and
The proprietor of the Prairie Tavern was known for his hospitality and the business prospered. When the increase in business demanded it, the original log tavern was replaced with a three-story limestone building. The building was actually constructed by Thomas Spencer who settled in Big Grove Township in 1837. The new hotel was called Lisbon House, and its name was painted on the front of the building in large black letters.
ceased running through
In 1871 the limestone house was almost destroyed by fire. The following articles recount the near loss.
"This morning at the breakfast hour, a dark column of smoke arose from our village. It lit up at intervals with leaping; red, angry flames then came the cry "fire, fire." Whose house could it be? Pails were seized and a rush made for the smoke and flames. Farmers passing with corn to Morris hitched their teams and joined the hurrying throng. A corner turned, and then at the head of the street stood the burning house. It was the residence of the Hon. Henry Sherrill. The fire originated in the attic of the kitchen, which was attached to the main building, a stone structure. Back of the kitchen was the coalhouse, filled with fuel, then adjoining was the carriage house. These buildings were of wood, which the flames seized with resistless rapidity. The flames mounted the roof of the main building, and radiated an intensity of heat that no one could endure. Little hope was entertained of saving any part of the house. A clean sweep seemed inevitable. This would have involved the certain destruction of other buildings, and where the flames, under such irresistible sweep, could be arrested, was impossible to conjecture. The village had gathered around the burning building, and they came together not as spectators to see a neighbor's house licked up by the flames, but to save it. The burning building, with sheets of flame pouring over the roof and sides sent up a column of blaze. The decisive moment had come upon which success or failure hung. With timbers and pries the burning mass was careened over, away from the principal structure. Then a dash was made for the ladders, speedily they towered up to the main roof, and brave men passed the blazing eaves, and mounted the scorching heat. Blankets were thrown over the wooden cornice that overhung the flames below. The cornice was already ablaze, and the flames were creeping into the shingles. Then came the water, a line of pails passing up the ladders, another through the house, up into the attic. It soon became evident that this courage and daring would make the stone building the protecting rampart to the rest of the street. For a few moments, "scales in even balance hung," and the position on the roof was perilous. Had a less determined effort been made at this stage of the fire, a sweeping conflagration must have been the result. Braver men never fought fire! Smoke in suffocating thickness, drove the men from the attic. But again and again they rushed into the smothering atmosphere, sending up to the peak a continuous line of water pails. These floods no flame could brave long. Soon the telling effect was marked and decisive. The angry flames were drenched. The pile of coal and fragments of the prostrate building continued burning for six hours. Then the pails returned to work until the last faint spark expired."
Saturday morning the rear part of the residence of Hon. Henry Sherrill in
The stone house that once was a bustling stage station and inn remains a private residence. The current owner's have spent many hours renovating and maintaining the old inn.
1860 census of Lisbon Township, page 176, enumeration date June 26, family # 1221.
VanPelt, John 32 M NJ Hotel keeper
VanPelt, Jane (Vreeland) 30 F NJ
VanPelt, Ann "Annie" 9 F NJ
VanPelt, Katie 5 F NJ
VanPelt, Tunis 3 M IL
VanPelt, Cornelius 8mo M IL
Skinner, John 30 M NY Dentist
Skinner, Catherine 30 F NY
Skinner, Charlotte 7mo F IL
Kellam, E. M. 60 M NY Teamster
Smith, John 50 M NY Tinsmith
Ephraim Buck was a widely known innkeeper who called his place Buck Tavern.
Moses Inscho was supposed to have built the first stagecoach inn in
Arnold Dodge, Wareham Gates, Robert Matthews, and others succeeded Moses Inscho and Ephraim Buck.
Josiah J. Shults came to
After the inn closed it was used as a private residence. Michael Stymacks and his wife, Debra Stymacks were the most recent owners of the historic stagecoach inn. On August 24, 2001, a fire caused by a halogen lamp damaged the building beyond repair. The remains of the old inn have been completely removed and a lovely new home constructed at the rear of the lot.
In the late 1840s and early 1850s, William Toombs and his wife, Alta Toombs ran a hotel
in Little Rock for six or seven years. The Toombs hotel was the second building east of the Little Rock Creek on
the south side of
Jacob Budd was the driving force behind the founding and development of Millbrook. A large part of the village was built in anticipation of the coming of the railroad. In 1873, a hotel was built, which opened in January 1874.The hotel was 30 by 30 feet and 20 feet high. It was small, but said to have been well arranged. There was a parlor, dining room and kitchen on the first floor, and seven bedrooms on the second floor.
In June 1875, Mr. and Mrs. Henry Chappell moved from Yorkville to Millbrook to manage the hotel. In 1877, Mr. and Mrs. Charles Weeks replaced Mr. and Mrs. Chappell. The word around the community was the Weeks set the best table in the county at Budd's Hotel.,
In March 1880, Mr. Morrill assumed the management of the Millbrook Hotel.
By September 1880 Mrs. Gilmore was managing the Millbrook Hotel. Mrs. Gilmore provided an excellent place to eat dinner (lunch) and the hotel was a popular place with farmers who brought grain to town from a distance.
In 1884, Mrs. Gilmore gave up the management of the hotel and was replaced by W. Wright, who was the proprietor
of the tile factory. Mr. Wright had previously operated a hotel in
Apparently, Mrs. Gilmore was induced to return to the hotel as Dell Lockwood succeeded her as landlord of the Millbrook Hotel. When Dell left the hotel, his brother Charles H. "Charley" Lockwood succeeded him.
In 1887 Charles H. Lockwood resigned as the manager of the Millbrook Hotel to work for John R. Marshall as editor of the Plano Mirror.
In January 1894 John Benthien and his wife, Elizabeth Benthien opened a hotel in the "old hotel building." One room was dedicated to a barbershop operated by Harry Benthien.
In October 1899 a disastrous fire swept through the Millbrook business district. One of the casualties was Budd's Hotel. By this time, it was apparent that a hotel in Millbrook would not be profitable enough to warrant its replacement.
There were two major hotels in
Joshua N. Austin was the builder and first operator of the Austin House. In August 1873, Robert E. Mason purchased the Austin House from Joshua.
In November 1873, William H. Gunsel became the owner of the Austin House. He exchanged four hundred acres
of land in
William H. Gunsel renovated the hotel, and purchased a nice billiard table for the hotel. He assured Mrs. Aldrich, a leader in the local temperance movement, that not a drop of liquor would be kept in the premises.
When Kendall County Record, editor John R. Marshall made a trip to
In July 1875 the Austin House was the only hotel in
At the time the 1876 Biographical Director of Kendall County was published, Mr. A. Horton was managing the Austin House. Apparently the sale of the hotel unraveled because in January 1877, Will Gunsel resumed management of the Austin House.
A visitor to the Austin House described the experience. "The house of W. H. Gunsul, or Austin House, as it is commonly called, is ably kept. I found the house in good order, newly painted, clean and comfortable. The proprietor is gentlemanly and courteous, with good accommodations, and a livery stable attached to the premises. A party of ladies and gentlemen was enjoying a game of croquet. The court was in a cozy little place at the end of the house near the railroad."
In May 1879, the Austin House was closed. It was suggested that boarders and transients could find a place to stay
In May 1881, George Kellogg reopened the Austin House with livery and feed stable attached and renamed the
hotel, Kellogg House. Many visitors used the Kellogg House as a summer resort. In 1882, the people of
By October 1875, Samuel J. Bartlett and his wife, Electa J. Bartlett, had assumed the management of the Worsley hotel and changed the name to Bartlett House. See Worsley Hotel.
In March 1883, A. A. "Abe" Boyd assumed the management of hotel, recently
managed by George Kellogg and renamed the place
Before reopening the hotel in August 1883, Mr. Boyd repainted, and furnished the hotel with a large amount of new furniture. Daily guests and weekly boarders used the hotel, and Mr. and Mrs. Boyd were noted as accommodating and pleasant landlords.
In June 1888, the hotel was given a thorough cleaning from cellar to attic, papered, painted and otherwise repaired. A notice was published in the Record that he would be prepared to take boarders and open his hotel to the public in a few days. 
In July 1888, Abe Boyd decided to move his livery business to
Mrs. Boyd and their children had remained in
The Boyd family found shelter in another Millington Hotel called the Underwood House, which was located in rooms over Pluess & Conger's store. About nine a.m. December 26, 1889, less than two weeks after the previous fire, a fire began in the attic of the Underwood House. The fire had made considerable headway before it was discovered and was impossible to extinguish. The building also housed the post office and Pluess & Conger's store. The bulk of the contents of the hotel, post office, general store, and the rooms over the store were removed. Nothing was saved from the cellar or the attic of the building. However the streets were muddy and many of the items removed were damaged. The building, owned by Mrs. J. W. Eddy, was insured for $3,000. Pluess & Conger's merchandise was insured for $4,500 and Mr. Underwood's household's goods were insured for $500.
In 1890, Darius A. "Dar" Harrington moved a building from
In mid 1891, Mr. and Mrs. George Neff leased the Harrington House for a year and renamed it
Neff House. In June 1891 the people of
Beginning July 1, 1892 the owner's son, Lew Harrington, was managing the hotel whose name had reverted to Harrington House.
By July 1896 Dar Harrington had resumed management of the hotel. In August 1899, Dar redecorated the Harrington Hotel with new paint and paper and offered accommodations for local boarders and traveling guests at reasonable rates.,
The Harrington House was still open in 1901-2 when it was operated by Mr. and Mrs. Fred Dobler.
The Higby House was an older hotel that had been moved from
Palmer Hotel, a.k.a. Harrington House
Advertisement: Palmer's Hotel,
June 1, 1887, James White assumed management of one of the hotels in
Heronimus Krebs lived in a house across the street from the
In 1871, successful businessman Timothy Worsley made a significant investment in
By October 1875, Samuel J. Bartlett and his wife, Electa J. Bartlett, had assumed the management of the hotel and changed the name to Bartlett House. At this time, Mr. Worsley refurbished the hotel with new carpets and furniture, putting it in excellent shape.
Sometime between late 1875 and June 1877 the Worsley Hotel closed. In June 1877, the Worsleys reopened and resumed management of the hotel.
From approximately June 1877 to August 1880, W. D. Moore managed the Worsley Hotel. By the latter date, he
In June 1881 Mr. Worsley removed the beautiful long porch in front of his hotel and replaced it with a sunshade over the door.
In 1882 the Worsley Hotel and accompanying buildings were offered for sale. The asking price was not publicized but their original cost was placed at $12,000.
Which hotel properties the following comments were directed toward were not indicated but it was
probably the Worsley Hotel. "Mr. Beach has moved south of Morris, and the hotel property stands vacant.
What a pity this property could not be utilized for some better purpose than to be rented to different families.
There is no better hotel property this side of
In September 1916, Mrs. A. Hotopp opened a hotel in
In 1880 the following people were living in the Worsley Hotel.
1880 census Village of Millington, page 65 & 314A, enumeration date June 4, family # 17.
Moore, W. D.
36 M self
Moore, Kittie M.
31 F wife
Moore, Gracie L.
10 F dau
Moore, Nathan S.
5 M son
Whitman, Adelia 19 F IL Unk Unk servant
Huff, N. W. 33 M IL Unk Unk boarder
McAtee, William 32 M IL Unk Unk boarder
Gough, James B. 28 M OH Unk Unk boarder
Justice, Charles 32 M OH Unk Unk boarder
Justice, Arthur 28 M OH Unk Unk boarder
Ferguson, A. J. 42 M IL Unk Unk boarder
Worsley, Timothy 67 M RI Eng MA boarder
Worsley, Abigail 51 F NY CT CT boarder
Morrell, F. B.
52 M self
Morrell, Melinda 36 M wife NY NY Can
Morrell, Raymond H. 8 M son IL NH NY
Gilson, Alexander 32 M OH Unk Unk boarder farmer
Crapley, James 55 M Eng Eng Eng boarder nurseryman
Costello, Martin 25 M NY Spa Unk boarder druggist
Wilsey, Archibald M., Jr. 26 M IL NY OH boarder clerk in store
In June 1887, Iver Buland opened
a hotel and place of entertainment for the traveling public and citizens of
By September 1899, DeWitt Convis was operating a hotel in
Lyman Smith built the Mansion
House in northeast
In 1850, Mathias Beaupre was
operating a hotel in
In August 1881, Artemis S.
(A. S.) Halbert was the proprietor of a
1850 census of Big Grove Township, page 290A, enumeration date September 2, family # 119.
Beaupre, Charles 8 M IL
Beaupre, William 6 M IL
Beaupre, Sarah 3 F IL
Wood, S. D. 23 M NY
Unknown, Samuel 37 M NY
Unknown, Charles 28 M NY
Burns, Louis R. 28 M NY
Burns, Laura 20 F NY
Misner, Asbury 20 M IL
Norman 19 M IL
John 25 M NY
1880 census Big Grove Township (Newark), page 28 & 295B, enumeration date June 24, family # 273.
Halbert, Artemis S.
42 M self
Halbert, Margaret E. (Brauman) 38 F wife OH Ire Ire
Halbert, Addie 18 F dau OH NY OH
Halbert, Edith May 16 F dau OH NY OH
Halbert, Robert L. 11 M son OH NY OH
Neck, Jack 28 M Eng Eng Eng boarder
Cunningham, J. 42 M Ire Ire Ire boarder
Levy, Lewis 24 M Ger Ger Ger boarder
Brown, H. N.
Yandal, A. S. 40 M Nor Nor Nor boarder
In 1831, Walter Stowell and Susan (
Walter Stowell erected two taverns or hotels in
The teams of horses that pulled the stagecoaches were always exchanged at
In 1840, an addition, which faced
Walter Stowell was postmaster of
As early as November 1843, William Lutyens was the proprietor of the Newark Exchange Hotel and
associated livery stable. While the hotel was typically referred to as the Exchange Hotel, Lutyens called the hotel
Lutyens House. When the Railroad came through the
The Newark Exchange Hotel burned to the ground Saturday morning, April 27, 1878. The fire originated from a defective flue, and spread to the tar roofing, which had been re-covered by shingles. The fire smoldered in the roofing until it burst into flames and became out of control. In an hour nothing was left of the building but ashes. The furniture and other removable articles, and many of the doors and windows were saved from destruction. The building was uninsured and the owner, Irus Coy experienced a total loss.
At the time of the 1850 census, the following people were living in the Newark Exchange Hotel. Unfortunately, the surnames of the residents were not provided.
1850 census of Big Grove Township, page 288A, enumeration date August 30, family # 84.
Stowell, Walter 61 M CT Innkeeper
Stowell, Eliza 23 F OH
Stowell, Mila 21 F OH
Stowell, Susan 19 F IL
Ephraim 53 M NY
Abraham 25 M NY
Charles 25 M NY
George 30 M NY
Jacob 28 M OH
Ralph 51 M CT
David 21 M OH
Hiram 24 M NY
Frederick 40 M PA
Timothy 42 M PA
Elsa 38 F PA
John 24 M NY
Nicholas 21 M PA
William 25 M PA
At the time of the 1860 census, William F. Lutyens was the manager of the Newark Exchange Hotel, which he called Lutyens House.
1860 census of Big Grove Township, page 83, enumeration date July 7, family # 585.
Lutyens, William F. 42 M PA Hotel keeper
Lutyens, Hannah (Smith) 38 F PA
Lutyens, Lyman 20 M IL
Lutyens, Clifford 12 M IL
Lutyens, Lillie Belle 3 F IL
Bull, John 40 M Eng ng
Clellin, James 24 M IL Wagonmaker
Watson, George W. 37 M PA Lawyer
McClue, G. W. 40 M NY Harness maker
Kilmore, C. M. 20 M NY Teamster
Hull, Azariah Z. 28 M NY Saloon keeper
Nichols, Daniel P. 24 M NY Physician
Cook, J. B. 30 M MI Farm hand
Morgan, D. C. 23 M IL Farmer
Morgan, Juliet 20 F IL
In the spring of 1895, Henry J. Collins began converting the
Wright Murphy came to
From 1852-1854, Mathias Beaupre was sheriff of
On July 19, 1854, J. C. Chapman became the proprietor of the Kendall House.
In July 1880, there was a comment in the Record, that Mr. Farley was constructing two houses from the main portions of the old Kendall House.
Butler, Curtis M. 37 M NY Innkeeper
Race, Eliza 39 F NY
Ferriss, Richard R. 23 M NY Laborer
Cowen, Amelia 20 F NY
Cole, Jeremiah J. 44 M RI Pensioner
Cole, Mary A. 40 F RI
Butler, Harriet 18 F NY
VanSickle, Henry 27 M NY Blacksmith
Boss, James 23 M NY Laborer
Kellogg, Abel H. 35 M NY Constable
Townsend, Charles D. 32 M NY Merchant
Ferriss, Charles 24 M NY Laborer
Chapman, James W. 34 M NY Mason
In 1842, brothers Samuel
and Thomas Tompkins built the National Hotel on
William Briggs succeeded Wright Murphy as manager of the National Hotel. In 1853, Briggs completely remodeled the hotel adding several guestrooms to the older part of the hotel and a new 30 by 40-foot two-story addition. There was also a stable in conjunction with the hotel where traveler's horses could be fed and cared for.
In January 1856, Mathias Beaupre who had managed the Kendall House,
succeeded William Briggs as manager of the National Hotel. Beaupre remained the landlord until June 1, 1862
when Moses J. Richards became the proprietor. Moses owned and managed the National Hotel until it was destroyed
by fire February 9, 1867. The same fire consumed a significant portion of the
One of the National Hotel's claims to fame was, when
At the time of the 1850 census the following members of the Briggs family, their staff and guests were living at the National Hotel.
Briggs, William 39 M VT Innkeeper
Briggs, Cecelia 32 F NY
Danforth, William Jr. 11 M NY
Danforth, Martha 6 F NY
Towle, Martha 64 F NY
Barber, Sheldon 26 M NY Bookkeeper
Herrick, Harriet 40 F NY
Stockton, Mary 32 F NY
Herrick, Jane 4 F IL
Herrick, Oscar 2 M IL
Bradley, Erasmus D. 30 M NY Constable
Miller, Richard D. 25 M NY Merchant
Fenton, Marcus A. 39 M NY Postmaster
Denton, John M.
Burdick, Hiram 26 M NY Carpenter
Sanders, Samuel 38 M NY Grocer
Turner, John 42 M NY Wheelwright
Massey, Robert 28 M NY Painter
Murphy, Alexander 26 M NY Painter
Perry, William 24 M NY Carpenter
In 1860, Mathias Beaupre was the proprietor of the National Hotel.
1860 census of
Beaupre, Mathias 46 M Canada Hotel keeper
Beaupre, Charles E. 20 M IL
Beaupre, William 16 M IL
Beaupre, Sarah 14 F IL
Beaupre, Arthur 7 M IL
Beaupre, Eben 2 M IL
Parke, A. C. 67 M NY Barkeeper
Hall, Asher B. 26 M NJ
Kennedy, Joseph D. 32 M MA
Danforth, William T. 20 M NY Cooper
Stafford, Henry 20 M VT Painter
VanDorston, John P. 22 M NJ Lawyer
Danforth, Charles 42 M VT Cooper
Jackson, William 25 M NY Agent
Long, R. 21 M IL Carpenter
One of the first buildings built in Oswego was a small log tavern built by Decoliar Towle in 1838, known as Towle Stand.
In April 1893 there was a notice in the Oswego column of the Record that John Bartlett had quit the hotel business and that the Schram House was for rent.
At the time of the 1860 census, Ezra Smith's occupation was listed as shoemaker. By 1870, Ezra and his second wife,
Mary "Caroline" (Stebbins) Smith were proprietors of the Smith House hotel, which was located on
the north side of South Main Street in downtown Oswego. The original building is currently located behind the Dari
Ezra died January 24, 1871 and his wife continued to operate the hotel until sometime after 1880. She died March
14, 1894 in the
1870 census of
332 Smith, Ezra 71 M MA Hotelkeeper
Smith, Mary "Caroline" (Stebbins) 51 F VT Keeping house
Smith, Dwight E. 19 M IL Hotel work
Murphy, Anna A. 19 F IL Domestic servant
1880 census of NY Oswego Township (
Smith, Mary "Caroline" (Stebbins) 61 F VT VT MA Keeping hotel
Ashley, Emerson 40 M IL VT NY (son) Shells corn
Perry, Susan 64 F MA MA VT Boarder
Grimes, James S. 73 M MA Eng Eng Temperance Lect.
The West Oswego Hotel was across the Fox River from
In September 1852, Roberts offered the hotel, nearby store and blacksmith shop for sale. In January 1853, William Henry Strossman became the proprietor of the hotel.
At the time of the 1850 census of
1850 census of
Scott, James Jr.
Scott, Julia 24 F NY
Scott, Delphinia 3 F IL
Hayden, Jackson 35 M NY Tailor
Ralston, Joseph 40 M PA Tailor
Mudgett, Edwin 28 M NY Lawyer
Pearce, Abel 50 M NY Laborer
Taylor, Franklin 4 M IL
Atkins, Ann Eliza 20 F NY
Scott, Sarah 25 F NY
1850 census of
Yard, John P.
Yard, Lavinia "Vina"
Yard, Mary Ann
Yard, James 3 M IL
1860, H. Bass was the proprietor of a hotel in
1860 census of
Bass, H. 76 M MA Hotel keeper
Bass, Anna 41 F VT
Bass, Robinson 22 M PA
Bass, George 3 M IA
When Gerald E., Matlock, Sr. married Lillian E. Ward, Ball's tavern was moved to the Matlock farm at the intersection
of Illinois State Route 71 and
Penfield was a small community on the
The hotel remained open until stagecoaches stopped using the
John C. Barber built the Eagle Hotel in 1854. The hotel was located on the corner of Main and Plain Streets
near the railroad depot in the
In 1862, Hazard W. Kendall, who had previously been in the hotel business, moved from
In the spring of 1865, Edwin J. Beck purchased and remodeled the Excelsior House. His life ended unexpectedly in November 1866 when he died of typhoid fever. After the death of Mr. Beck, James H. Dixon assumed the management of the hotel.
In 1867, John C. Barber was the proprietor of a billiard hall and saloon in the hotel. In August of 1867, he repurchased the Excelsior House for $1,950, subject to a $3,260 mortgage.
James H. Dixon continued to operate the hotel until January 1869, when he turned the hotel back to John C. Barber.
By August 1872 Charles Flanders was the proprietor of the Excelsior House. He remodeled the hotel and quickly
filled it with boarders. Manufacturing was prospering in
Edward J. Robbins and William R. Lowe rented the Excelsior House in October 1872. They celebrated the occasion by having a Grand Opening dance with a full band. An interesting comment in the announcement was the "Excelsior has the best spring floor of any hall in the country."
In 1873, Albert Heavener became the proprietor of the Excelsior House. Before reopening the hotel on July 10, 1873 the Excelsior House was completely redecorate with new paint, paper, carpets, and furniture.
In late October 1874, Herman N. Kennedy and his brother-in-law, Austin W. Rapelje, were managing the Excelsior House. The hotel was thoroughly renovated and repaired before reopening.
Beginning July 1, 1875, Samuel J. Bartlett, who previously ran a hotel in
In February 1877, Mr. Al. P. Rogers of
In February 1878, the Excelsior House was leased to Charles Flanders of Waterman, IL.
In February 1880, Charles Flanders returned to his farm near Waterman, IL and Jacob Passage became the landlord of the Excelsior House. Mr. Passage did not operate the hotel very long and a successor was not found. The hotel was closed, but some of the space in the building was rented to various businesses.
On March 24, 1881, the Excelsior House was destroyed by fire. Some passing trainmen saw the smoke pouring from
William Bradley heard the fire alarm and started downtown where he observed the smoke pouring from the building. He tried to open the saloon door but it was locked so he broke it open. The room was filled with smoke and a fire was burning on the floor. The smoke was so dense, he was unable to extinguish the blaze. A crowd gathered and began to help fight the blaze. When the doors and windows of the building were opened, the flames originally confined to the basement, spread to the entire building.
At the time of the blaze, George M. Wheat had a harness shop in the rear of the building and Hazard W. Kendall had a saloon in the southwest corner of the basement. There were no other occupants of the building. The building was old, dry as tinder, and it burned with amazing speed.
The intense heat of the burning building and the fact that it was three stories high made it a formidable fire. The flames and heat leaped across the street where there were five frame stores in a row with another frame building behind them. The fire made quick work of them. It was immediately clear that all that could be saved was their contents and other nearby buildings.
The hotel was uninsured, and John C. Barber sustained the greatest loss. Most of the owners of the destroyed real estate decided to rebuild immediately, and to replace their frame buildings with brick buildings. The Excelsior House was not rebuilt.
1860 census of
Barber, John Calvin 43 M NY Hotel keeper
Barber, Catherine 40 F NY
Eldridge, John C. 29 M NY Hotel keeper
Eldridge, Mary J. (Henning) 23 F IL
Henning, Charles 20 M NY Farm hand
Henning, Josephine 22 F NY
Fetter, William 24 M OH Teacher
Faxon, L. 22 M NY Mason
Faxon, Rodney D. 24 M NY Mason
Willett, Jane A.
In 1868, Henry "Hank" Smith and his brother built a new brick hotel at the corner of Main and West
Streets in downtown
In February 1869, James H. Dixon and his brother Andrew P. Dixon purchased the Smith House for $8,500,
and assumed possession March 1, 1869. At that time, the name of the hotel was changed to Dixon House. The
By August 1872, George Goss and his wife Mary (Lathrop) Goss were managing the hotel. According
to Mrs. Goss's obituary, they traded a farm in
Mr. Goss advertised that he was always ready to administer to the comfort of his guests and boarders. That his specialty was to provide good accommodations for transient guests and traveling businessmen. Board was $1.50 per day.
Mr. Goss apparently was succeeded by Mr. A. Cary who operated the hotel for a while before selling out to Mr. H. Woodward in July 1873.
In March 1879, George Goss was again the proprietor of the Dixon House. The Dixon House fell on hard times. The building was not properly maintained and deteriorated badly making it less attractive to boarders and guests, and finally closed.
In April 1880 the Dixon House and Dixon Hall were sold at Master's sale. Lewis Steward purchased the property for $3,200. He felt a good hotel was an essential element in
In addition to dining facilities and rooms for guests, here was a large hall or ballroom in the Dixon Hotel. The hall was utilized for concerts, dances, lectures, parties, public exhibitions, and shows., The interior was completely renovate and a balcony added to the hall. Light in the remodeled hall was provided by eight chandeliers, which gave it a pleasant and cheerful appearance. The Dixon House was completely renovated from top to bottom and newly re-furnished. The work required several months, but upon completion the building was in excellent condition, and the rooms were said be cheerful and inviting in appearance.
In late 1880, Frank Lull became the manager of the Dixon House at which time he changed the name of the place
to Plano House. On New Year's eve 1880, a grand party was held to dedicated the newly rebuilt Dixon
Hall. Many of
In November 1882, Lewis Steward sold the Plano House and Hall to Hazard W. Kendall who continued to own the hotel until 1896 when he sold out and retired.
Following the sale of the hotel Mr. Steward invested the proceeds in the erection of a brick building
on the corner of the next block east on land purchased from Edgar L. Henning. The new building contained an opera
house, and the
The Kendall County News published a note that Mrs. Lull was leaving the Plano House and Mr.
In May 1885, Mr. Pulfrey gave up and returned to
In 1885, Mr. Kendall renovated the Plano House by papering, painting, and repairing everything necessary to put the hotel in first-class order. When the restoration was completed the Mead Brothers became the managers of the hotel. In January 1889, the Mead Brothers relinquished the management of the Plano House in favor of Samuel Harp.
In August 1891, Mr. Warner who had been in the hotel business in
In March 1896, Lewis Steward repurchased the Plano Hotel and Hall, and placed Julian Steward in charge. The hotel had changed hands many times during the previous twenty-five years, and had been closed part of the time. The hall was thoroughly remodeled, and the name changed to Steward Hall or Steward Opera House. A number of changes were made to the Opera House. The walls and ceiling are painted apple green color with a terra cotta base. New scenery and a handsome drop curtain were installed. Familiar local scenes were painted on either side of the curtain. On the right side, the old white bridge was depicted. On the left side, there was a view of the old bulkhead north of the mill. The lighting system was updated, and the stage and dressing rooms were put in good repair.
Lewis Steward died in August 1896, and the Plano House became the property of the Steward Estate.
In September 1898, it was re-open with Robert C. Bristol of
Mr. Bristol was known as a congenial host and made his patrons feel welcome. Mrs. Lizzie Smith was part of his management team. The Plano House was described as one of the best moderate priced hotels "on the road", but the hotel was unable to turn a profit .
In May 1901, management of the Plano Hotel changed again when Mrs. D. Nelson leased the Plano House and Steward
Opera House from the Steward Estate for three years. For several years she had successfully conducted a hotel across the
street from the Deering works in
In May 1902, the Plano Hotel was purchased from the Steward estate by Mrs. Mary L. Caskey
On January 1, 1903 the hotel was sold to Mr. Henry L. Jacobson and his wife Jenny Jacobson of
Twenty years before purchasing the hotel, Henry L. had passed up and down the
In July 1907, Valentine Cooper and his wife, of
By 1912, Mr. and Mrs. William Dolder were the owners of the Plano Hotel. At this time the hotel lease was held by Mr. McEmry. The Dolders bought out McEmry’s lease and completely remodeled and refurnished the hotel. At the same time the bought out Peter Loser’s lease and license of the saloon located in the basement of the hotel, which the Dolders ran in conjunction with the hotel.
By June 1916, C. E. Marquis of
In 1920, the Plano House was renamed Cannon Ball Inn in reference to the Cannon Ball Trail, which then passed through Plano. Mr. and Mrs. Otto Gaisser were the proprietors. They remodeled the hotel and invited the public to view the results. Those who attended the reopening were pleased with the quality of the dinner served and the neat and clean appearance of the facility.
In June 1927 Harry Shannon owned the Canon Ball Inn. He sold the inn to Mr. M. Fiddler and Joseph Blake of
In November 1936, Mr. and Mrs. L. Guy Suydam assumed the management of the Canon Ball Inn. Apparently the dining room downstairs had been closed but was reopened. Several families lived in housekeeping apartments in the hotel and more moved in with the change in management. Travelers used other rooms on a day to day basis.
1880 census of Little Rock Township (Plano), page 176 & 370B, enumeration date June 2-3, family # 61.
56 M self
Goss, Mary E. (Lathrop)
45 F wife
Goss, Mary Lathrop
17 F dau
Goss, Lock A.
15 M son
Goss, George B.
9 M son IA
Goss, Edna L.
3 F dau IL
Goss, Lee Anderson
8mo M son IL
1880 census of Little Rock Township (Plano), page 178 & 371B, enumeration date June 3, family # 71.
49 M self
41 F wife
25 M son
Passage, Newton 19 M son IL NY NY
Passage, Jacob R. 6 M son IL NY NY
Wormley, Ida (Passage) 22 F dau IL NY NY
Passage, Anna (Davis) 24 F dau-in-l IL WV NY
Passage, Charles 2mo M gr-son IL NY IL
In 1834, Daniel
Jesse Platt and Esther (Ricketson) Platt founded the
Daniel Platt was appointed postmaster November 4, 1847 and held the position until July 15, 1851. During his tenure the Plattville post office was kept in the tavern.
When the stagecoaches stopped coming through Plattville, the inn became a private residence. In 1927, the old limestone building was removed and replaced by a new home on the site.
In the 1850s there were two hotels south of the old courthouse at the intersection of Fox and Main Streets. The
hotel on the southeast corner was on
May 1, 1862, Alvah Beecher purchased the hotel on the northeast corner of Fox and Main Streets from Solomon Heustis. On November 12, 1866, George Beck and his wife, Albertina (Horst) Beck purchased the same hotel from Alvah Beecher. George and Albertina were successful hotel operators and their hotel was well patronized. The bulk of the Beck's patronage was from regular boarders and those who came to Yorkville to transact business at the courthouse.
In the fall of 1870, George visualized better prospects in the brewery business, and leased the hotel to Henry Stoffregen and Ernst Ahrens. At this time, the hotel was renamed Stoffregen House. In October 1871, Ernst Ahrens advertised the hotel for sale. "The hotel in Yorkville, known as the "Stoffregen House" formerly Beck's is offered for sale at a bargain. It is a fine large building with barn and two lots. For terms apply to the owner, Ernst Ahrens, Yorkville, P. O., or at the hotel any Saturday afternoon. Furniture and fixtures for sale also."
In February 1873, George and Albertina leased the hotel to C. E. Beaupre, of
Advertisement for Beck Hotel. "Beck's Hotel south of courthouse,
In June 1883, George Beck died after a long illness In October 1883, his wife, Albertina (Horst) Beck, married F. W. "Jacob" Helmuth, and Albertina and Jacob continued to operate Beck's Hotel.
In November 1884, Beck's hotel was offered for sale or rent. In December, the hotel was leased to Jacob's brother-in-law, Justus Nading who had married Jacob's sister Maria Helmuth. Justus was a baker and had operated a bakery and small hotel in downtown Yorkville.,
The following advertisement for the Nading House appeared in the local newspaper. "Nading House,
formerly Beck's Hotel, opposite the courthouse,
In the spring of 1885, Justus and Maria purchased the real estate where the bakery and their first hotel had been located, and moved back downtown.
When Yorkville was established, the top of the hill was a good location for a hotel. When the railroad was constructed, the tracks were laid at the base of the hill on the south side of the river. As a result, Yorkville's business district moved to the bottom of the hill and clustered near the depot and tracks.
By 1889, Beck's Hotel was in an out of the way location, and unable to compete with the hotels downtown. In an
attempt to resuscitate Beck's Hotel, the Helmuths moved the hotel and out buildings down the hill to the north
The following transactions were found pertaining to
May 1, 1862, Solomon Heustis to Alvah Beecher.
Nov 12, 1866, Christopher Moeller & Henrietta Moeller to George Beck. (Mortgage)
Nov 12, 1866, Alvah Beecher to George Beck.
Sep 6, 1873, Ernst Ahrens to Albertina Beck.
Nov 29, 1884 Jacob & Albertina Helmuth to Justus and Maria Nading.
1920, Frederick Hage to John Wesche & Nellie Wesche.
Date unknown, John Wesche & Nellie Wesche to LaRue Breese.
In 1860, Alvah M. Beecher and W. J. Smith were managing one of Solomon Heustis' hotels perhaps the hotel on the southeast corner of Fox and Main Streets. As noted above, Alvah purchased Solomon's hotel on the northeast corner of Fox and Main Streets, May 1, 1862.
1860 census of
Smith, W. J. 32 M IN self Hotel keeper
Smith, Sophia 28 F IN wife
Smith, Chester 12 M IN
Smith, Georgeanne 5 F IL
Smith, Sarah 3 F IL
Heustis, Solomon, Sr. 56 M NY
Heustis, James C. 22 M IL
Heustis, Solomon, Jr. 17 M IL
Misner, Harrison 47 M OH Pauper
Misner, Rebecca 42 F OH
Misner, Thomas 22 M OH Farm hand
Beecher, Alvah M. 28 M NY Hotel keeper
Beecher, Desire (Chappell) 19 M NY
Seyman, H. 60 M NY Farm hand
1880 census of Kendall Township (Yorkville), page 114 & 338B, enumeration date June 15, family # 201.
Beck, George 49 M self Ger Ger Ger hotelkeeper
Beck, Albertina (Horst) 33 F wife Ger Ger Ger
Beck, Cora 9 F dau IL Ger Ger
Beck, Ada 5 F dau IL Ger Ger
Beck, George 2 M son IL Ger Ger
Wollenweber, Charles 34 M Ger Ger Ger servant
Popenburgh, Dora 18 F Ger Ger Ger servant
In 1889, Jacob Helmuth purchased the Church road cart factory property on the north side of
In December 1889, the City Hotel opened for business. It was convenient to the depot, and only a few minutes walk from the post office and courthouse.
Advertisement for the City Hotel: Ready for Business! City Hotel, (near the depot)
When Mrs. George Beck (Later Albertina Helmuth) was landlady of Beck's Hotel many of the people
from the southern part of
In May 1890, Jacob Helmuth was charged with selling liquor to men named
After considerable legal maneuvering, the Helmuths lost their case to Mrs. Bell for the drowning
of her husband in
After exhausting all legal remedies, Mr. Helmuth advertised the hotel for sale "due to
ill health" and sought other employment. Jacob supposedly tried to make an exchange with George Cassens for
a saloon on
The financial problems could not be overcome and the Helmuths were out. In June 1892, Mr. Kissel was managing the City Hotel. A stable and hack (bus) were operated in conjunction with the hotel. Hotel guests could keep and care for their horses in the large barn at the rear of the hotel.
In July 1892, Jacob Helmuth and his family left Yorkville for
At this time, Allie Moore rented the City Hotel and became the landlord. The following advertisement appeared in the local newspaper. City Hotel (Near the depot)
The City Hotel was bought by the Nels Cassem Estate and from time to time was opened and closed. In March 1898, Fred Ohse assumed the management of the hotel. The hotel was painted and papered throughout, new fixtures and furniture purchased, and the office remodeled. The Yorkville electric lighting plant was in operation, and lights were installed throughout the building. Mr. Ohse promised his clientele that by next winter the rooms would be heated by steam. The old barroom east of the office was repainted and papered and offered for dances and large parties.,
At some point, the hotel closed again. In June 1901, there was a notice that the City Hotel had reopened and was re-furnished throughout. Room rates were $1.00 per day, "good meals" cost 25 cents. The rate to board there was $3.50 per week. Mrs. E. N. Speer proprietor.
The hotel eventually closed for good, and the location was used as a bowling alley, garage, and various other minor businesses.
In 1911, the Yorkville Industrial Improvement Association bought the City Hotel buildings and property from the heirs of the Cassem Estate. The purpose of the Association was to promote the addition of business to the village. They successfully convinced the Rehbehn Brothers to utilize part of the ground floor for their button factory.
In October 1914, the old City Hotel building in Yorkville was destroyed by fire. The origin of the blaze was unknown although the fire was first discovered near the chimney at the east end of the building. An electrical short in the attic was considered a possible cause. There was very little insurance coverage. Hard work on the part of the local firemen saved the adjoining barn used by veterinarian, Dr. R. F. Hoadley as a horse hospital. The Thomas Biggar furniture store was also threatened but did not ignite.
At the time of the fire, the Rehbehn Brothers button factory utilized most of the building. Nearly all their machinery, valued at about $1,000, was lost. Several bags of button blanks, worth some $1,600 were saved.
Dr. Hoadley who occupied the barn next door saved all of his property. Seven horses in the barn were safely remove as well as his instruments and medicine. The Frank Rudakis, George Hanson and Fred Jones families lived on the second floor of the building. They lost practically all of their household goods.
When the alarm was given, assistance arrived in a short time and every effort was made to keep the fire under control. The absence of wind made it easier to prevent the spread of the flames, and the firefighters were able to save a barn that was part of the former Church Road Cart factory, and only three feet from the burning building.
The frame construction of the old hotel building made it a veritable firetrap, and the interior burned like tinder. Yorkville's newly installed water service was a godsend in fighting the fire and keeping the flames under control. The Electric pump at the reservoir was able to keep two streams of water running constantly while maintaining the water pressure, and the volume of available water kept the sparks to a minimum.
At the time of the fire, the Yorkville Industrial and Improvement Association owned the building, which was insured for about $800. The button factory had been shut down for about a year and the place had been vacant most of the time. However, the Rehbehn Brothers were getting ready to start cutting shells again. Thirty-four machines had been installed and were waiting for a new motor when they were destroyed. There was a small amount of insurance on the machinery but not enough to cover the loss. 
The Fox River House was built by John Lyons and was one of the first buildings constructed in
what became downtown Yorkville. The hotel was located on the southeast corner of
When John Lyon's wife died, he sold the hotel to a W. S. McFeaters of
In August 1865, the name of the Fox River House was changed to the Waverly House. The new landlord added a hall and dining room to the facility to entertain and serve the public.
In September 1865, the Waverly House was rented to A. P. Dixon who placed Henry Matlock in charge.
In July 1866, Mr. McFeaters turned the hotel back to Mr. Lyons who resumed the management of the hotel, and its name reverted to Fox River House. John repainted and thoroughly renovated the hotel promising to spare no effort to make it the best hotel in the county.
January 1, 1871, Dennis P. Bence, father-in-law of Heman Winchell, became the landlord of the Fox River House.
January 1, 1873, the
Over the years the Fox River House experienced frequent physical changes as well as changes in management. In 1874 the dining room was moved to the front of the hotel where the billiard room had been. The old dining room was converted into a billiard parlor and saloon.
By October 1875, David Sinclair was the owner of the Fox River House. David made a number of improvements in and around the hotel. He moved the livery barn to the back of the lot, and placed it on a new foundation. He constructed a large buggy shed where the livery barn had been for his patron's use.
In 1880, Samuel Whitney was the proprietor of the Fox River House.
In January 1881, David Sinclair rented his farm south of Yorkville and took over the management of the Fox
River House. Advertisement
By November 1881, Jacob Passage was the proprietor of the Fox River House.
In October 1882, Nye LaSuer became the proprietor of the Fox River House. When Mr. LaSuer became the landlord, the Fox River House was again renovated.
In 1883, Nye LaSuer was replace by Peter Weiland of
In May 1884, Mr. Weiland advertised that the Fox River House, at Yorkville had been refitted and put in excellent shape for the accommodation of the public. He stated commercial travelers would find a good room to show their samples, that there were good stables on the premises, and the charges were moderate.
In October 1884, Peter Weiland purchased the Fox River House from David Sinclair for $2500. After purchasing the hotel, he added an addition on the rear of the building.
In April 1889, after owning and operating the hotel for six years, Peter Weiland exchanged the
Fox River House for property in
This arrangement only lasted for a short time, and Mr. and Mrs. Bonckhe replace Mr. Garmes. The Bonckhes built a sidewalk between the depot and the Fox River House making it easier for railroad passengers to reach the hotel.
By May 1890, the Fox River House was again for sale or rent. It was advertised as an old established hotel that could be profitable
By June 1891, Frank Fasmer of
One of the factors leading to the departure of the Fasmers was the death of Thomas Walker. Mr. Walker was alleged to have been a heavy drinker and was found dead in the yard of his Yorkville home. Mrs. Walker and her daughter, Florence McElwane, blamed the Fasmers for Thomas' death, and filed a suit in the Kendall County Circuit Court against Frank Fasmer for $10,000 damages, for selling liquor to their husband and father. 
At the time of the 1860 census the following people occupied the Fox River House.
1860 census of
Lyons, John Libheart 41 M PA self hotelkeeper
Lyons, Julia M. (Hale) 28 F NY wife
Lyons, Amanda 12 F PA dau
Hanson, Olin 32 M Norway mason
Peterson, Ole 30 M Sweden papermaker
Harris, Blexton 33 M OH physician
Hobbs, Albert M. 24 M MA merchant
McWall, John 25 M PA miller
Ketchum, Gilbert W. 32 M NY agent
1880 census of Kendall Township (Yorkville), page 119 & 341A, enumeration date June 17, family # 266.
Whitney, Samuel E.
50 M self
Whitney, Julia A. 39 F wife OH OH OH
Whitney, Luella 7F dau MI OH OH
The building that housed the Fox River House was eventually sold to the Kendall County Farm Bureau
who used the building as their headquarters and offices until they built a new office on
The original town of
In about 1843-4, Solomon Heustis, Sr. built the first hotel in Yorkville. The hotel accommodated
many of those attending court as well as other visitors. As indicated in the previous discussion of Beck's hotel
there were two hotels at the intersection of Fox and Main Streets. The hotel on the northeast corner was on
Solomon's original hotel building probably ceased being a hotel sometime in the 1870s or 1880s. The building still exists and is used as a private residence.
The following transactions were found pertaining to
1842, Franklin Winchell to Almon Ives.
1843, Almon Ives & Nancy Ives to Solomon Heustis, Sr.
Nov 22, 1864, Solomon Heustis, Sr. to Henry Dunbar. (Hotel was then called "Dunbar House")
Dec 28, 1892, Eliza Ann Dunbar to Lars Larson.
Oct 30, 1935, Silas Larson to Joseph Riemenschneider.
Oct 31, 1936, Caroline Riemenschneider to Herundo Salisbury.
Apr 5, 1975, Herundo Salisbury to Eugene Salisbury & Bernice Salisbury.
The Holland Hotel was located on the northwest corner of Bridge and Van Emmon Streets, the current
site of Bridgeberry Twigs. Owner Henry A. (H. A.)
H. A. Holland moved from Yorkville to
In December 1884, Beck's Hotel, was leased to Justus Nading. Justus was a baker and operated a bakery in downtown Yorkville.
The following advertisement for the Nading House (formerly Beck's Hotel) appeared in the local newspaper. Nading
House, formerly Beck's Hotel, opposite the courthouse,
Justus Nading came to
From the start, Justus was popular with his customers. He was polite and obliging, and the business began to grow. Shortly after purchasing the property, the Nadings expanded their business by adding a restaurant. Justus became aware that there was a demand by traveling men and others, for better hotel accommodations in Yorkville. To meet this need, the Nadings built a small brick addition on the rear of their establishment. The first floor of the new building was used to expand the restaurant and bakery. The second floor contained four hotel rooms. For a short time, this was enough to meet the demand. When their patronage increased, they purchased the lot north of their original building and built a two-story brick building there in 1890. The first floor was used for a storeroom and the second floor as a hotel. They installed all the modern conveniences, steam heat, hot and cold water, etc.  The bedrooms were comfortable and well furnished. Justus and his wife served good meals and provided comfortable lodging. When court was in session, many members of the legal fraternity stayed there.
In November 1892, Justus Nading advertised his hotel in the local newspaper. Hotel Nading. North side
of railroad. Bridge Street,
About 1897 the Nadings sold their bakery to concentrate on their hotel business.
By this time, their hotel business had grown to the point they did not have enough room to accommodate the demand. In 1898, the original wooden structure was torn down and replaced with a three-story brick building. The third story extended over the top of the earlier two story brick building used as a hotel. The building was three stories high, 24 feet wide, and 100 feet long. The dining room and office were on the first floor. The second and third floors were divided into thirty sleeping rooms. A large area on the second floor in the front of the building contained a parlor for the guests.
Initially the hotel enjoyed a good business from people coming from the southern part of the county who found it necessary to stay over night in Yorkville on court or other business. When jury trials lasted beyond a day it was not feasible for them to commute between their homes and Yorkville. This changed with the advent and increased use of automobiles. The automobile made it possible to commute between the far corners of the county and Yorkville.
By 1905, The Nading family had been in the hotel business for over twenty years. Mrs. Nading had been an active participant, and had been responsible for all the food preparation for the period and was ready for a rest. Justus' interests were also changing. He was instrumental in bringing the Chicago Telephone Company to Yorkville. The company's central office was in the hotel and Justus was the local manager. By 1905, the hotel business was waning and the telephone company's prospects were rising, so the Nadings decided to leave the hotel business.
A deal was completed, and the hotel business was leased to C. B. Dursey of
In 1911, Yorkville had two saloons. The Nadings wanted to lease the hotel but needed to make the business more attractive. Justus convinced the Yorkville Board of Trustees to grant him a saloon license. The basement of the hotel had been remodeled, and the saloon was to be in the basement. This meant the new saloon would be next door to Fred Johnson's saloon. Many Yorkville residents disagreed with the Board's action and felt they had been duped because Justus was a member of the Board of Trustees that granted the saloon license.
At this time, the hotel and saloon was rented to Fred Hohoff and his partner Nick Kramer. In February 1914
the partnership was dissolved and Nick Kramer and his wife returned to
Less than a year later the Behlke family left the hotel and moved to
In 1919, Justus retired from the management of the Hotel Nading and Mr. and Mrs. George W. Snyder of
By 1925, Charles B. Krohn was renting the Nading Hotel. Justus had found a buyer for the hotel but the deal was mutually called off. Justus had made up his mind that the prospective purchasers were not the kind of people that would fit into the Yorkville community.
In April 1926, Charles B. Krohn sold his interest in the Hotel Nading to Frank Mikula of
Apparently the hotel was actually operated by Mrs. Mikula rather than her husband. Frank ran some "club rooms" in the basement of the hotel where local men would come to play billiards or what ever. A fight occurred in the clubrooms and the sheriff was called to investigate. An investigation of the cause of the fight led to the discovery that home brew was being manufactured in the hotel. When Sheriff Barkley, and his deputy, Frank R. Skinner, searched the basement rooms they found a large number of bottles of beer and everything necessary to manufacture the beverage. In September 1926, Frank Mikula was arrested and sentenced to 90 days in the county jail for manufacturing and selling home brew.
In 1933, the Hotel Nading stood vacant for several months. The hotel was newly decorated and in September 1933
reopened to the public. Mr. and Mrs. Leech and Mr. and Mrs. Meyer of
In May 1936, the management of the Hotel Nading and Cafe changed again. On May 20th Mr. L. A. "Lefty"
Peterson, a native of
In April 1938, Mrs. Minor assumed management of the Hotel Nading restaurant. She had operated
a restaurant in
Frank Pennuto operated Frank's Tavern next door to the Hotel Nading. On May 23,1939, Frank assumed the management of the Hotel Nading as well, and renamed it the Yorkville Hotel and Restaurant.
The Hotel Nading, a. k. a. Yorkville Hotel, still stands today (2003) on the west side of Bridge Street between Hydraulic Avenue and the river but is no longer used as a hotel.
Ahrens, Ernst, 23, 24
Aldrich, Mrs., 9
Allen, Mr. and Mrs., 29
Ashley, Emerson, 17
Atkins, Ann Eliza, 18
Austin, Joshua N., 9
Ball, John, 18
Barber, Catherine, 20
Barber, John C., 19, 20
Barber, John Calvin, 20
Barber, Julia Ann, 19
Barber, Sheldon, 16
Barkley, Sheriff, 30
Barney, James, 17
Bartlett, Electa J., 10, 11
Bartlett, John, 17
Bartlett, S. J., 10, 19
Bartlett, Samuel J., 10, 11, 19
Bartram, Elise, 6
Bartram, Jared, 6
Bass, Anna, 18
Bass, George, 18
Bass, H., 18
Bass, Robinson, 18
Beach, Mr., 12
Beaupre, Arthur, 16
Beaupre, C. E., 23
Beaupre, Charles, 13, 16
Beaupre, Charles E., 16
Beaupre, Eben, 16
Beaupre, Mathias, 13, 15, 16, 23
Beaupre, Sarah, 13, 16
Beaupre, William, 13, 16
Beck, Albertina (Horst), 23, 24, 25
Beck, Cora, 25
Beck, Edwin J., 19
Beck, George, 23, 24, 25
Beecher, Alvah, 23, 24
Beecher, Alvah M., 24
Behlke, Albert C., 30
Behlke, Family, 30
Bence, Dennis P., 27
Benthien, Harry, 9
Benthien, John, 9
Biggar, Thomas, 26
Birney, Christina (Jeffrey), 6
Black, Jacob P., 30
Blackman, Owen, 28
Blackmer, Luke, 8
Blake, Joseph, 22
Bonckhe, Mr. and Mrs., 27
Bonckhe, Mrs., 27
Bond, Henry, 18
Booth, Edward H., 5
Booth, Lucy (McLay), 5
Boss, James, 15
Boyd, Abe, 10
Bradley, Erasmus D., 16
Bradley, William, 20
Breese, Della, 24
Breese, LaRue, 24
Bretthauer, Mrs. William, 30
Briggs, Cecelia, 16
Briggs, William, 16, 18
Brown, H. N., 13
Buck, Ephraim, 8
Budd, Jacob, 9
Buland, Iver, 12
Bull, John, 14
Bullock, Mr., 19
Burdick, Hiram, 16
Burns, Laura, 13
Burns, Louis R., 13
Burry, Dr., 7
Camp, Mary, 4
Camp, Samuel C., 4
Cary, A., 21
Caskey, George B., 22
Caskey, Sarah L., 22
Cassem, Nels, 26
Cassens, George, 25
Caton, Judge, 16
Chapman, J. C., 15
Chapman, James W., 15
Chappell, Henry, 9
Clellin, James, 15
Cole, Jeremiah J., 15
Cole, Mary A., 15
Collins, Carrie, 15
Collins, Henry J., 15
Convis, DeWitt, 12
Cook, J. B., 15
Cooper, Ambrose, 22
Cooper, Valentine, 22
Costello, Martin, 12
Cowen, Amelia, 15
Coy, Irus, 14
Crapley, James, 12
Cunningham, J., 13
Danforth, Charles, 17
Danforth, Martha, 16
Danforth, William Jr., 16
Danforth, William T., 17
Davis, David E., 3
Dolder, Mr. & Mrs., 22
Dunbar, Eliza Ann, 28
Dunbar, Henry, 28
Dursey, C. B., 30
Dyer, Silas, 27
Eddy, Mrs. J. W., 10
Eielsen, Elling, 6
Eldridge, John C., 20
Eldridge, Mary J. (Henning), 20
Farley, Mr., 15
Fasmer, Frank, 27
Fatsen, Christopher, 18
Fatsen, John, 18
Fatsen, Sophia, 18
Faxon, L., 20
Faxon, Rodney D., 20
Felch, J. H., 4
Fenton, Marcus A., 16
Ferriss, Charles, 15
Ferriss, Richard R., 15
Fetter, William, 20
Fiddler, M., 22
Gaisser, Otto, 22
Garmes, Fritz, 27
Gilmore, Mrs., 9
Gilson, Alexander, 12
Goodale, Abigail Catherine (Miller), 5, 6
Goodale, Frederick Welch, 6
Goodale, Hiram J., 5, 6
Goodale, Lawson N., 5
Goodale, Lockwood W., 5, 6
Goodale, Mary Elizabeth, 5
Goodale, Sarah E., 5, 6
Gordon, Margaret, 5
Goss, Edna L., 22
Goss, George, 20, 21, 22
Goss, George B., 22
Goss, Lee Anderson, 22
Goss, Lock A., 22
Goss, Mary E. (Lathrop), 22
Goss, Mary Lathrop, 22
Gough, James B., 12
Gray, Horace, 3, 32
Gray, Norman, 3
Grimes, James S., 17
Gunsel, William H., 9, 10
Haigh, E., 25
Halbert, Addie, 13
Halbert, Artemis S., 13
Halbert, Edith May, 13
Halbert, Margaret E. (Brauman), 13
Halbert, Robert L., 13
Hall, Asher B., 17
Hanson, George, 26
Hanson, Olin, 28
Harp, Samuel, 21
Harrington, Dar, 11
Harrington, Lew, 11
Harris, Ben, 27
Harris, Blexton, 28
Harris, Dr., 25
Hartwell, Mrs., 28
Hawley, Paul, 13
Heavener, Albert, 19
Helmuth, F. W., 24
Helmuth, J., 25
Helmuth, Maria, 24
Helmuth, Mr., 25
Hemm, Barbara, 16
Henning, Charles, 20
Henning, Edgar L., 21
Henning, Josephine, 20
Herrick, Harriet, 16
Herrick, Jane, 16
Herrick, Oscar, 16
Heustis, James C., 24
Heustis, Solomon, 23, 24, 28
Heustis, Solomon, Jr., 24
Heustis, Solomon, Sr., 24, 28
Hicks, E. W., 32
Hicks, James, 18
Hills, Levi Sr., 6, 7
Hills, Sarah (Sears), 6
Hoadley, Dr., 26
Hoadley, Dr. R. F., 26
Hohoff, Fred, 30
Hollenback, David S., 4
Hollenback, Margaret A. (Johnson), 4
Horton, A., 10
Huff, N. W., 12
Inscho, Moses, 8
Ives, Almon, 28
Jackson, William, 17
Jacobson, Henry L., 22
Jeffers, William R., 6
Jefferson, Mr., 7
Johnson, B. H., 4
Johnson, Bradford, 5
Johnson, Bradford H., 4, 5
Johnson, Fred, 29, 30
Johnson, George B., 4
Johnson, Harriet P. (Atwood), 4
Johnson, Margaret A., 4
Johnson, Mary Ann, 4
Johnson, Patrick, 16
Jones, Fred, 26
Justice, Arthur, 12
Justice, Charles, 12
Kellam, E. M., 8
Kellogg, Abel H., 15
Kellogg, George, 10
Kennedy, Herman N., 19
Kennedy, Joseph D., 17
Ketchum, Gilbert W., 28
Kilmore, C. M., 15
Kimball, Angeline, 4
Kimball, W., 4
Kissel, Mr., 25
Knox, Lyman S., 5
Kramer, Nick, 30
Krebs, Heronimus, 11
Krohn, Charles B., 30
Larson, Lars, 28
Larson, Silas, 28
LaSuer, Mr., 27
LaSuer, Nye, 27
Lawrence, Martin, 4
Leech, Mr. and Mrs., 30
Lehman, Josiah, 19
Levy, Lewis, 13
Lockwood, Charles H., 9
Lockwood, Dell, 9
Long, R., 17
Loser, Peter, 22
Lowe, William R., 19
Lozier, Ira, 29
Lull, Frank, 21
Lutyens, Clifford, 14
Lutyens, Hannah (Smith), 14
Lutyens, Lillie Belle, 14
Lutyens, Lyman, 14
Lutyens, William, 14
Lutyens, William F., 14
Lyons, Amanda, 28
Lyons, John, 26, 27
Lyons, John Libheart, 27
Lyons, Julia M. (Hale), 27
Marshall, John R., 9
Martin, Fred, 29
Mary (Lathrop) Goss, 20
Mason, Robert E., 9
Massey, Robert, 16
Matlock, Henry, 26
Matteson, Joel A., 3
Matthews, Robert, 8
May, Susan (Short), 3, 4
McAtee, William, 12
McClaskey, Alexander, 6
McClue, G. W., 15
McEmry, Mr., 22
McFeaters, Mr., 27
McFeaters, W. S., 26
McLay, Alexander, 5
McLay, Frank, 5
McLay, Margaret, 5
McWall, John, 28
Mead Brothers, 21
Meyer, Mr. and Mrs., 30
Mikula, Frank, 30
Mikula, Mrs., 30
Milks, Ann, 3
Miller, Richard D., 16
Minor, Mrs., 31
Misner, Asbury, 13
Misner, Harrison, 24
Misner, Rebecca, 24
Misner, Thomas, 24
Moeller, Christopher, 24
Moeller, Henrietta, 24
Monk, William, 15
Moore, A. H., 26
Moore, Allie, 25
Moore, Gracie L., 12
Moore, John, 6
Moore, Kittie M., 12
Moore, Nathan S., 12
Morgan, D. C., 15
Morgan, Juliet, 15
Morrell, F. B., 12
Morrell, Melinda, 12
Morrell, Raymond H., 12
Morrill, Mr., 9
Mudgett, Edwin, 18
Murphy, Alexander, 16
Murphy, Anna A., 17
Murphy, Wright, 15, 16
Naden, Isabella, 8
Nading, Justus, 24, 29
Nading, Mr., 29, 30
Nading, Mr. and Mrs., 29
Nading, Mrs., 29, 30
Neck, Jack, 13
Neff, George, 10
Neff, Mr. and Mrs. George, 10
Nellis, John, 18
Nelson, Mrs., 22
Nelson, Mrs. D., 22
Nichols, Daniel P., 15
Nichols, George, 25
Nichols, George H., 25
Ohse, Fred, 26
Ohse, Mr., 26
Palmer, A. P., 11
Parke, A. C., 17
Passage, Anna (
Passage, Charles, 23
Passage, Jacob, 20, 22, 23, 27
Passage, Jacob R., 23
Passage, James, 23
Passage, Jane, 22
Patrick, Eliza, 3
Patrick, Jacob, 3
Patrick, Jacob Sr., 3
Paul, Mr., 11
Pearce, Abel, 18
Pennuto, Frank, 31
Perry, Susan, 17
Perry, William, 16
Peterson, L. A., 31
Peterson, Ole, 28
Platt, Daniel, 23
Platt, Daniel Jesse, 23
Platt, Esther (Ricketson), 23
Platt, Mr., 23
Platt, Mrs., 23
Popenburgh, Dora, 25
Powars, Mr., 27
Pulfrey, Mr., 21
Quincy, Frank, 5
Race, Eliza, 15
Ralston, Joseph, 18
Rank, Lorenzo, 16, 17
Rapelje, Austin W., 19
Rehbehn, Brothers, 26
Richards, Moses J., 16
Riecherts, Peter, 25
Riemenschneider, Caroline, 28
Riemenschneider, Joseph, 28
Robbins, Edward J., 19
Roberts, Samuel, 17
Robinson, Margaret, 5
Rudakis, Frank, 26
Sanders, Samuel, 16
Schiller, Margaret, 16
Schumaker, Henry C., 25
Scott, Delphinia, 18
Scott, James Jr., 18
Scott, Julia, 18
Scott, Sarah, 18
Seyman, H., 24
Shannon, Harry, 22
Sherrill, Henry, 7, 32
Shibley, Charles, 20
Short, John Sr., 3
Short, Mary E. (Surre), 3
Shults, Elizabeth (Vedder), 8
Shults, Josiah J., 8
Sinclair, David, 27
Sinclair, Mr., 27
Skinner, Catherine, 8
Skinner, Frank R., 30
Skinner, John, 8
Smith, Dwight E., 17
Smith, Ezra, 17
Smith, Georgeanne, 24
Smith, Henry, 20
Smith, John, 8
Smith, Lizzie, 22
Smith, Lyman, 13
Smith, Mary, 17
Smith, Sarah, 24
Smith, Sophia, 24
Smith, W. J., 24
Snyder, Mr. and Mrs. George W., 30
Speer, Mrs. E. N., 26
Stevens, Henry Kase, 3
Stevens, Mary A., 3
Steward, Julian, 21
Steward, Lewis, 21
Stockton, Mary, 16
Stoffregen, Henry, 23
Stowell, Susan (
Stowell, Walter, 13, 14
Stymacks, Debra, 8
Stymacks, Michael, 8
Suydam, L. Guy, 22
Taylor, Mary, 18
Thorp, Eliza, 4
Thorp, George W., 4
Thorp, Henry, 4
Thorp, John, 4
Thorp, Leonard, 4
Thorp, Martha, 4
Thorp, Mary, 4
Thorp, Orson L., 4
Thorp, William M., 4
Tompkins, Samuel, 16
Toombs, Alta, 8
Toombs, William, 8
Towle, Decoliar, 17
Towle, Martha, 16
Townsend, Charles D., 15
Turner, John, 16
VanDorston, John P., 17
VanPelt, Ann, 8
VanPelt, Cornelius, 8
VanPelt, Jane (Vreeland), 8
VanPelt, John, 8
VanPelt, Katie, 8
VanSickle, Henry, 15
Walker, Mr., 27
Walker, Mrs., 27
Walker, Thomas, 27
Ward, Lillian E., 18
Warner, Mr., 21
Watson, George W., 15
Weber, Mary, 16
Weeks, Charles, 9
Weiland, Mr., 27
Weiland, Peter, 27
Wesche, John, 24
Wesche, Nellie, 24
Wheat, George M., 20
White, James, 11
Whitman, Adelia, 12
Whitney, Julia A., 28
Whitney, Luella, 28
Whitney, Samuel, 27
Whitney, Samuel E., 28
Wicks, James, 17
Wilcox, Charles, 15
Willett, Jane A., 20
William, Dolder, 22
Wilsey, Archibald M., Jr., 12
Wilson, Charles, 11
Wilson, Mary (Krebs), 11
Winchell, Heman, 27
Wittrup, S. J., 29
Wollenweber, Charles, 25
Wood, S. D., 13
Woodward, H., 21
Wormley, Ida (Passage), 23
Worsley, Abigail, 12
Worsley, Mr., 11
Worsley, Timothy, 11, 12
Wright, W., 9
Yandai, A. S., 13
Yard, Fanny, 18
Yard, Grace, 18
Yard, James, 18
Yard, John P., 18
Yard, Juliet, 18
Yard, Lavinia, 18
Yard, Mary Ann, 18
Young, Horace, 5
 Grantor Index. 40 acres; the west half of the southeast quarter and 40 acres; the east half of the southwest quarter of section twenty-seven.
 History of
 Joel Aldrich Matteson was an early resident
and landowner of
 Grantor Index. The east half of the east 80 acres (40 acres) in the northeast quarter of section 33.
 History of
 Since Horace Gray was appointed postmaster of the Au Sable post office May 28, 1842, Mr. Gray's given name may have been Horace rather than Norman.
 Interview with Harvey L. Larson, April 16, 2000.
 "Susan Short May: The story of her
ancestry and of her early life in
 Kendall Clarion, May 12, 1860.
 Kendall Clarion, May 12, 1860.
 Extracted from When Lisbon was a Prairie, by Mrs. John L. Shufelt, 1917.
 Lisbon Comet, July 2, 1896.
 Henry Sherrill bought the large stone stage house in 1844.
 Little Rock Press, February 11, 1854.
 At this time, the noon meal was called dinner. The evening meal was supper.
 Timothy Worsley was the principal partner in Worsley and Foster. Timothy and Abigail Worsley's daughter, Emily Frances, married Timothy's partner Samuel Edward Foster.
 See Heustis Hotel.
October 31, 1883,
 Legal documents research by Herb Beck, Paw Paw, MI.
 Legal documents researched by Herb Beck, Paw Paw, MI
 Also spelled Dersey.
 Mrs. Behlke was Justus’ cousin.
Last Updated Saturday, 29-Jan-2011 08:56:44 MSTby