St. Peter Church is Antioch's Catholic Church. It was first a mission of St. Patrick in Wadsworth. It is believed the first church building was dedicated in 1897. It was located at Victoria and Harden Streets.
In 1910 St. Mary in Fox Lake was made a mission to St. Peter. It later became St. Bede in Ingleside.
Antioch was a resort area and many Chicagoans vacationed there and attended church in their summer home.
In 1929 ground was broken for a new building at Channel lake and Fox Lake Roads. A school opened in 1949. A portion of the St. Peter territory was broken off in 1955 to form Prince of Peace Church in Lake Villa. In 1961 an addition was built to the school.
The Chicago Archdiocese has allowed the Family History Library to film some sacramental records for St. Peter Church. Microfilms of these records can be rented for a small fee at any local Family History Center. Information on the film (FHL # 1571961) which covers St. Peter Church can be found here. The film covers baptisms 1906 and 1909-1916 and marriages and deaths, 1909-1916. *Note that you will need to check item 7 on that film in order to be looking at those for St. Peter Church.
Home | Back to Churches page