St. Johns Evangelical Lutheran Church in Libertyville started when a congregation formed in 1897. In early years St. John's was a mission church and its sacramental records should be found with the Immanuel Church in Waukegan. Sacramental records that are held at St. John's begin in 1924.
A minister traveled to Libertyville from Waukegan when the church was first started. The congregation built a church in 1905 and split off on its own (from Waukegan) in 1922.
Germans composed the early membership, which was one reason why the church grew slowly. There were not as many Germans in the Libertyville area as there were in some other areas of Lake County.
A new church building was dedicated in 1952. A Christian Day School was formed in the 1960s.