IL GenWeb logo

Lake County, Illinois

St. Joseph Church, Libertyville



St. Joseph Church in Libertyville is in the Chicago Archdiocese.

In 1885 a Catholic mission was established in Libertyville. Early masses were said in the town hall. In 1886 construction of a frame church began. This church was known as SS Peter and Paul Church. A rectory was built around 1895. The frame church was destroyed by fire on 19 June 1904. A new church of brick and stone was then built and dedicated in 1905. The name was changed to St. Joseph. A new rectory was built. St. Joseph School was built and was dedicated in 1927.

Church membership grew after WWII. School enrollment also grew and the school needed more room. A new school building which incorporated the old building was made. It was dedicated in 1959.

Construction began for a new church building in 1965 and the church was dedicated in 1966. The old church was torn down and a new rectory was built.

Most of the earliest parishioners were German.

The Family History Library has microfilmed early records from St. Joseph Church. The records are available for rent through a local Family History Center. Click here for film notes- FHL #1577857. The filmed records include baptisms, 1896-1915; marriages, 1896-1915; and deaths, 1897-1915. Be sure to check item 5 on this roll in order to be viewing the St. Joseph records. The earliest of these records have the name of the church as St. Peter and Paul.


Home | Back to Churches page


Please report any broken links or obsolete email addresses to the webmaster.
Lake County (IL) Genealogical Society, 1170 N. Midlothian Rd., Mundelein, IL 60060
Updated: 22 October 2003