St. Peter Church is Volo's Catholic Church. Before it was formed the German Catholic families in the area had to travel to St. John the Baptist in Johnsburg for mass. In 1868 parishioners built a frame church. Before it could be dedicated it caught fire and burned. A second frame church was built and was attached to the Johnsburg Catholic church until after spring 1869. Early masses were celebrated on weekdays. In 1889 the priest from the Catholic Church in Fremont Center started to hold masses at Fremont and Volo on Sundays. St. Peter was then a mission of Fremont Center until 1904. The church had a school starting in 1892.
In 1904 Volo got a resident pastor. A new rectory was built in 1904. In 1925, construction of new church and school buildings began. The old buildings were sold to Edward Lusk. The first mass said in the new building was in 1926. The buildings cost nearly $100,000. At the time they were built the parish consisted of 44 families. Volo was once known as Forksville. Part of Volo is in Grant Township and part is in Wauconda Township.
The Chicago Archdiocese has allowed the Family History Library to film some sacramental records for St. Peter Church. Microfilms of these records can be rented for a small fee at any local Family History Center. Information on the film (FHL # 1571961) which covers St. Peter Church can be found here. The film covers the years 1890-1915 and contains baptism, marriage, death, communion, and confirmation records. *Note that you will need to check item 10 on that film in order to be looking at those for St. Peter Church.