St. Bartholomew Church was established as a national parish in 1896. It was formed to serve Lithuanian and Polish families in northern Lake County. A number Lithuanians came to Waukegan from Massachuetts to work in steel mills. The Lithuanian people were higher in number and the parish became largely Lithuanian. The parish was originally a mission of St. George in Chicago. St. Bartholomew got its first resident pastor in 1901. A parish school was formed.
The Polish community grew and in 1903 Holy Rosary Church was built in North Chicago to serve the area's Poles. Mother of God Church in North Chicago was dedicated in 1903; it served the Slovenes and Slovaks in the area.
A new school was built for St. Bartholomew in 1912. In August 1933, a fire destroyed the church. A new church was built and dedicated in 1938. St. Bartholomew Church celebrated its Golden Jubilee in 1946.
The Family History Library has filmed some sacramental records for St. Bartholomew Church. The microfilms are available for rent through a local family history center. For information on the film which covers St. Bartholomew Church click here.
*Note that you will need to check items 1-3 on that film in order to be looking at those for St. Bartholomew Church. The filming covers marriages, baptisms, and deaths from 1900-1915. It is in English and Latin. For those who can't follow the link, the FHL microfilm number is #1561665.
Home | Back to Churches page