St. Joseph Church was established in 1870 as a national parish. Organizational efforts date back to 1863. It mainly served German Catholics prior to WWII. It was located within the boundaries of Immaculate Conception Church. St. Joseph was originally a mission of St. Peter Church in Niles Center. The earliest church building was an old public school. In 1874 the church got its first resident pastor. A new building was completed in 1895 and was located at McKinley and Oak Streets. The old church was converted to classrooms. The school was later moved and enlarged. In 1920 the Golden anniversary of St. Joseph was celebrated. A new school building was dedicated in 1925.
St. Joseph Church was in the Chicago Archdiocese. The Chicago Archdiocese has allowed the Family History Library (FHL) to microfilm sacramental records to a certain date. Microfilms of these records can be rented for a small fee at any local Family History Center.
For information on the film which covers St. Joseph Church click here.
*Note that you will need to check items 3-4 on that film in order to be looking at those for St. Joseph Church. The filming covers baptisms and marriages from 1864-1915. It is in English and Latin. For those who can't follow the link, the FHL microfilm number is #1577857.
Home | Back to Churches page