Lake County (IL) Genealogical Society
Local Genealogy Sites
There are three web sites and one mailing list specifically for Lake County, Illinois. They complement one another and you should use all of them. There is now and always be some overlap. The web sites are always being updated so be sure to check out each one of them often.
- Lake County (IL) Genealogical Society web site. You are currently at this site. When you browse through its pages you will see
- what is available in old fashioned materials such as books, manuscripts, and microforms
- addresses for libraries and other repositories where these materials may be found, and
- relevant indexes, records or databases that might help you fill in some of the blanks in your family history.
- The Lake County Genealogy web site. Here you can add your surnames and other information about Lake County and/or your ancestors. The queries archive is at this site but queries since June 1998 are now hosted by the Rootsweb message board for Lake County.
- Zion Genealogical Society web site. This site concentrates on people and events in and around the Zion area.
The mailing list. To subscribe (or unsubscribe) send "subscribe" (or "unsubscribe") as the subject to ILLAKE-L@rootsweb.com. A mailing list is an email party line. Every message that a list subscriber sends to the list is distributed to all of the other list subscribers via email. LCIGS has been assigned as the list administrator for the Lake County mailing list.
RootsWeb sponsors message boards which are a computerized version of the old fashioned bulletin board. By posting a message, you create a record through which other researchers can find you and the
Lake County message board is where we suggest you put your queries and ask your questions.
Interested in Lake County Neighbors?
- Kenosha County, WI. Located north of eastern Lake County, Illinois, along Lake Michigan. Many early settlers arrived by lake boat at Southport (now Kenosha) in Wisconsin and settled in Lake County, Illinois.
- Walworth County, WI. Located north of western Lake County, Illinois,. Cross county ties are a result of the lake resorts on both sides of the border.
- McHenry County, IL. Located west of Lake County, Illinois. McHenry was the last parent county of Lake County and has Lake County records 1836-1839.
- Cook County, IL. Located south of Lake County, Illinois. The county seat and major city is Chicago. Many residents, both pioneer and current, began their lives in Cook County and moved north.
- Lake County, IN. Located to the south east of Cook County, Illinois, and just over the border into Indiana. Included because for many years the village of Crown Point, IN, was a marriage mill for nearby counties. If you don't find your marriages in Lake County, Illinois, try Lake County, Indiana. Also, There is sometimes confusion because Cook County has a Lake County north of it and a Lake County southeast of it. If the state isn't included with the county name, it may not be clear as to which county is meant.
LCIGS, PO Box 998, Mundelein,
Updated: January 10, 2011