ABRAHAM LINCOLN MARSHALL, of Lee township, was born on his present farm in 1861. His father, James Marshall, was born in Tennessee in 1819, and his father, William Marshall, came to Illinois in 1832. He died in Cass county, at a great age, having reared fifteen children, of whom James was the youngest. All have passed away. James Marshall was a volunteer from Lee township in the One Hundred and Nineteenth Illinois Infantry, Company E. He enlisted in August, 1861, and died in the hospital at Memphis, Tennessee, of a fever, December, 1863. He left a widow and five children. His wife's name was Martha A. Horn, born in Alabama. Her father died when she was about two years old, and she was reared by her mother, her step-father, Elisha Brown, and her uncle, George Criswell, of Morgan County, Illinois. She was married in Missouri, in 1844. They settled here in 1856, on sixty-two acres, to which he added until now the farm is more than 176 acres, of which thirty-five acres is good timber.
The Marshall brothers now own this fine home farm jointly, subject to the mother's life lease. They grew corn, wheat, hay and oats, have from fourteen to twenty horses, ten to twenty head of cattle and turn off from ten to forty hogs, annually. They believe in a rotation of crops and plenty of crops. They have as fine meadow land as there is in the State. An immense barn was built between 1871 and 1888, with ample room for everything. They have a snug farm house, finished and rebuilt in 1889.
Mr. A. L. Marshall was married in January, 1889, to Mary B. Williams, daughter of Thomas and Lucinda (Beam) Williams, he of Ohio and she of Vermont. Mrs. Marshall was born in Clayton, Adams county, and there her mother died, in 1877, in the prime of life. Her father resides in Clayton, Illinois. Mr. and Mrs. Marshall have one little son, named Benjamin Harrison, and Mr. Marshall is a very loyal, ardent Republican.