NICHOLSON, EDGAR ELLIS, who was appointed postmaster of Beardstown, Ill., on May 1, 1911, and one of the best known men of Cass County, was born June 8, 1879, a son of John S. and Eliza Jane (Buck) Nicholson, natives of England and of Cass County, Ill. The mother died in September, 1900. The father was born in 1832 and died in 1911. In 1841 he came with his parents to Meredosia, Ill., via New Orleans and lived on a Morgan County farm for ten years. Later the family came to Beardstown, where the father worked in a newspaper office until 1861, when he became the manager of the plant and so continued until 1866, at which time he secured control of the Central Illinoian, and under this title he conducted the paper until 1898, when it was consolidated with the Star and then was issued a weekly and daily edition. His partner was Cad Allard, and the name was changed to the Illinoian-Star, and the paper made a daily, and prior to 1904 John S. Nicholson had bought his partner's interest. In 1904 he was appointed postmaster and served for seven years, dying in office. He had long been an active worker in the Republican party.
Until 1900 Edgar E. Nicholson lived at home, but in that year he went to St. Louis, Mo., where he was engaged in a printing business with his brother, C. B. Nicholson for two years, then returned to Beardstown and joined his father in the newspaper business, becoming city editor of the Illinoian-Star, and he and his father continued associated until the latter's death in 1911. In 1904 F. M. Bulks bought an interest in the paper, and in 1906 Edgar E. Nicholson became sole proprietor. On January 1, 1914, Mr. Nicholson sold the business to the Schaeffer Publishing Company. He has been prominent in Republican ranks, and for eight years has been secretary of the Cass County Central Committee. Since 1911 he has been a member of the Beardstown board of education, and in 1913 he was made a member of the Library board, which he serves as treasurer. Fraternally he is identified with the elks and the Masons at Beardstown.
In September, 1904, Mr. Nicholson was married to Anna V. Smith, a daughter of H.A. and Margaret (Brightbill) Smith, natives of Harrisburg, Pa. Mr. and Mrs. Nicholson have had three children: Jane, who was born in November, 1905; Virginia, born May, 1908, and died December, 1909, and Marion, who was born in August, 1910. Mr. Nicholson and family belong to the Methodist Episcopal Church.