CADE, JAMES R., farmer and stock raiser, Sec. 9, P. O. White Hall. The above named gentleman is a native of Greene County, where he was born on the 16th of January 1841, oldest son and third child of Thomas and Tabitha Cade. Thomas Cade became a resident of Greene County during his childhood, as did also the lady who was destined to become his future wife. There were born of this union twelve children, seven of whom are living, whose biography we are necessarily compelled to omit owing to limited space. Mrs. Cade died in 1862, on the 18th of November; the remains now repose in the Dodson Cemetery of Carrollton. Thomas Cade is now a resident of Kansas, where he is engaged in farming. James, from whom our narrative is obtained, passed his early years upon a farm, and indeed, has always, it might be proper to state, been identified with agricultural pursuits. On the 7th of April 1864, Mr. Cade was united marriage to Miss Catherine Hunnicutt, a daughter of Rowell Hunnicutt. Mr. C. is the owner of 60 acres of valuable land, brought to a high state of cultivation through great industry and energy. Receiving an unusually liberal education, he became more than ordinarily proficient as a marksman, gaining considerable notoriety as such.
CAMPBELL, AMBERG, farmer and stock raiser, Sec. 16, P. O. Roodhouse, was born in Ohio; married Sarah A. Crist; five children: Flora, Morton, Robert, Carrie and Lelia. Mr. Campbell owns 160 acres.
CAMPBELL, DAVID, deceased, who during his life was a farmer within the borders of Greene County; was born in Tennessee where he followed farming, and here married Miss Edna Taylor, a daughter of Elijah Taylor. When the war came on, sorely against his will, Mr. Campbell was conscripted in the service of the South; obtianing his release he made his way to Greene County, settling in Carrollton, remaining a short time when he became a farmer. He died in 1871, and was laid at rest in the beautiful cemetery of Carrollton. Mrs. Campbell, who resides in Greene County, was born in Tennessee in 1826. Of this marriage ten children were born, five of whom are living, Sarah J., Steven O., Charles, Frank, and Wylie who are >residents of Greene County.
CAMERON, J. T., saddler and harness maker, west side of Square, Carrollton, Illinois. The above name gentleman, who is well and favorably known to the business community here, is worthy of more than a passing notice; the pioneer in the harness trade of Greene County, he began his business career at the early age of 18, in the City of Carrollton, having become regularly apprenticed to the trade of a harness maker at an early age; born in Tennessee in 1832; at five, his parents became residents of Greene County. Since this period of time he has lived here continuously, and has been known here as a business man from his 18th year. Commencing his business career with no capital, save willing hands, and an energy that carried him in after years through many discouragements, he went steadily forward to a successful business career, transacting for many years a successful business both at Carrollton and Greenfield. In 1873 the store building owned by him was destroyed by fire, and shortly afterward Mr. Cameron bought the edifice where he now transacts a large and constantly increasing trade. In conclusion, we would say, give Mr. Cameron your patronage and secure good work at living prices. With the exception of alderman, Mr. Cameron has managed to keep clear of office. See business card elsewhere.
CAMERON, S. P. harness maker, Greenfield. Born in Warren County, Tenn., Dec. 27, 1830; son of Joseph Cameron, of Scotch descent. At the age of six years came to this State, and he well remembers the time, for it was at the time of the "sudden change"; they had arrived at a point near Greenfield on the eve of that event, and on account of the frozen condition of the country, they were detained about six weeks before they could complete their journey. Their first settlement was made in town 11, range 11, where they continued five years, during which time they were engaged in agricultural pursuits. His father selling out in 1843, he moved to Upper Alton, and he and Joseph were apprenticed to learn the harness maker's trade with Charles McFadden, of Carrollton, and at the age of 17, when he had completed his trade, he set up for himself in Greenfield, in 1849, in which he has since continued. In May 11, 1851, he was married to Mary Kincaid, born Feb. 14, 1835, daughter of William Kincaid; seven children have blessed this union, viz: Belle, born Feb. 24, 1852; Kate, born Feb. 23, 1858; Edward, born Aug. 11, 1859; Charles born Feb. 3, 1862; William born Aug. 5, 1862, Judson, born Aug. 6, 1867; Essie born Jan. 19, 1878. Mr. Cameron has grown up in the town and established a good business, and has the respect of all who know him; has attended strictly to his own business, and, which is always the case in such instances, success is generally the outgrowth of that course of procedure. Mr. Cameron is a man of retiring habits; never been engaged in public life; is a member of the Missionary Baptist Church.
CANNADY, WM. farmer and stock raiser, Sec. 14, P. O. Fayette; was born in Bedford Co., Virginia, March 20, 1801; was the first of a family of six children born of George and Christina Cannadey, whose maiden name was Warner. She was of Dutch descent; while her husband is of the Anglo Saxon stock. In his youth he had little or no opportunities for securing an education. At the age of fifteen he moved with his father and family to Kentucky, where they remained about thirty years. They settled in Nelson County, and during this time William was engaged with his father on the farm. In 1845 the family emigrated to this State, and locaed in Carrollton, where they remained three years, during which time he was engaged in teaming; hauling from the river, Alton and St. Louis. Then engaged in farming at Kane, where they rented land for nine years. In the year 1849, he was married to Narcissa Vaughn, by whom he had six children: Julia, born in 1848; Lucy, for in 1850; William born in 1852; Sarah L., born in 1854; Martha, born in 1856; Effie, born in 1857. William died Jan. 21, 1876. Mr. Cannady buried his wife Jan. 10, 1866. In the winter of 1858, he moved to the section he now lives on, and bought four hundred acres of land, which he has since farmed. In the Spring of 1869, Feb. 16, he was married to Mrs Narcissus Dennis, relict of Harvey Dennis; they had no children. Mrs. Cannady has four children living, all of whom are now married and settled. She had one son, Charles Steadman, who died in the United States service at Murfreesborn Hosptial, of typhoid fever. Mr. Cannady is now in his seventy-seventh year, and has remarkable degree of health for one of his age. He has been long and favorably known in the community in which he resides.
CANNEDY, J. J. farmer, Sec. 13, P. O. Fayette, a native of Greene County, born Dec. 15, 1847; is a son of Andrew J. Cannedy, born May 13, 1825; he was a native of Warren County, Tenn.; his wife's maiden name was Vylotte Dixon, born Sept. 3, 1830. Andy J. came to this State about the year 1838, and settled near Sheffield, Greene County. Jefferson, whose name heads this sketch, was married Dec. 31, 1865, to Rachel L. Russell, who was born March 6, 1844; she is a daughter of William Russell; by this marriage they have had five children, but three of whom are now living: Cloyde M., born March 28, 1867; William A., born Aug. 29, 1871; Joseph D., born Oct. 9, 1876, died Sept. 3, 1877; John C. born Sept 15, 1877. Their marriage took place in Buchanan County, Mo.; in 1866 came to this country; remained until the Fall of 1870, then went to Delta County, Texas, staid until 1878; during his sojourn in that locality he was engaged in farming; freighted some, and saw much of the country, and thinks that is a very desirable country to live in, and contemplates returning in 1879 to settle for life.
CANNEDY, STEPHEN D., farmer, Sec. 21, P. O. Greenfield. The subject of this sketch is a son of one of the oldest settlers in this township, and but few in the county can date their coming to an earlier time than he; first made the trip on foot from Tennessee, his only companion his trusty rifle; he came out to take a view of the country and, liking it, returned as he came, and brought his family out in an ox-cart, bringing therein what few articles of furniture they had, the family walking, his wife carrying a child in her arms. He made one or two trips back to Tennessee in the same manner before he finally located; he made a selection of land on the spot where Greenfield now stands, and erected the first cabin thereon; land not being in market at that time he disposed of his claim, and after his return from Tennessee settled on the place now owned by Anson Miller, three miles south of Griswold, where he remained about forty years; he died Jan. 18, 1870. The subject of this sketch was born in DeKalb County, Tenn., and came to this country with his parents, being three years of age at this time; remained with his parents until he had attained his twenty second year, when he set out for himself, working among the farmers, and at whatever employment that came to hand; May 10, 1851, was married to Nancy Spradley, daughter of Bryant Spradley. She was born August, 1828; they have had five children, but two are now living: Harriet, born Oct. 10, 1852; Helen, born Feb. 23, 1860. Mr. Cannedy, after his marriage made very many changes; lived rather of a migratory life, first settling on the place he now lives, then went to Greenfield, staid one year; was there engaged in the manufacture of brick, then to the homestead, remained about ten years; then to Fayette, staid ten years, back again to the old homestead, then to Texas, staid ten months, back again to Greenfield, then back to the place first settled; has since remained. While at Fayette was engaged in wagon-making, and served as justice of peace; has been occupied in running circular sawmills considerable of the time; thinks he will go to Texas again; he and his family are members of the United Brethren Church.
CARLIN, THOMAS J., Circuit Clerk for many years; is a native of Greene County; born at Carrollton December 13, 1827, and is the eldest child of William and Mary Carlin. William Carlin was a brother of Governor Carlin, of Illinois, and a native of Fredericksburgh, Va.; born May 31, 1804. Mrs. Carlin was born July 3, 1805, in Halifax County, Va., and at the age of 13 her parents moved to Kentucky. Mr. Carlin removed with his parents when quite young to the then territory of Illinois, and settled on Wood River, in Madison County. At that place they resided several years. During the Autumn of 1820, William Carlin became a citizen of Greene County, and purchased a tract of land now in the corporation of Carrollton. On the 6th of December, 1826, he was married to Miss Mary Goode. Politicaly his views coincided with those of the Democratic party, of which, in Greene County he was prominent member, and such confidence did they repose in his ability and honor that they elected him to the office of County Clerk and retained him in the position 17 years, when he resigned and moved to his farm, eight miles west of Carrollton. Two years later, while on his way to New Orleans with stock, he was nominated by the Democrats and elected in December, 1849, entering upon his official duties at Carrollton. He passed away on the 20th of April, 1850. No man perhaps in the county was more universally liked than he, and his death was universally regretted by a large circle of acquaintances. His widow is still living, a resident of Carrollton. Thomas J. Carlin, while a boy, attended the common schools of Greene County. Shortly after the death of his father, he was appointed by Judge Woodson Circuit Clerk, to fill the unexpired term of his father. When the duties of this office came to a close he was appointed Deputy Sheriff under William Halbrit, and acted in that capacity two years. He married Miss Jane Kelly, a daughter of Andrew Kelly, of Carrollton, by whom he has three children. Their eldest daughter, Louisa, is the wife of William L. Robards. After the expiration of his term as Deputy Sheriff, Mr. Carlin settled on the old homestead, and soon after purchased a portion of the estate. In November, 1864, he was elected to the office of Circuit Clerk, and by re-election officiated in this capacity until December, 1876. Since this date he has followed agricultural pursuits. Viewing his past life, that has been characterized by ability in office and a spirit of generosity, few have contributed more toward the prosperity of the county than Thomas J. Carlin.
CARR R. W., drugs and groceries, Sec. 13, P. O. Fayette. The subject of this sketch is a grandson of James Carr, who was one of the early pioneers of Morgan County, who made the first purchase of land on which Jacksonville now stands; he was Gen. Jackson's cook during the war of 1812, and was at all the battles that took place during that time; remembers very distinctly of seeing Gen. Packenham fall from his horse. Upon his return from the war he settled in Macoupin County; this hardy pioneer and notable character died in the Fall of 1874, in his 79th year. R. W., who heads this page, is a son of Archibald and Mary Carr, who was born in Tennessee and came to this State at an early age, and settled in the vicinity of Carrollton, and subsequently in Macoupin County, where R. W. was born, which as at a point two miles east of Fayette; his ancestors were among the most wealthy and influential citizens of their time, and trace their antecedents to the land of the immortal Bruce and Burns; R. W. had excellent advantages for obtaining an education, which he improved and in addition to those afforded at the common district school, he attended the Blackburn University four years, taking the scientific and classical course; in the winter of 1871, Jan. 29, he was united in marriage to Mary Kennedy, daughter of Jackson Kennedy. Three children have blessed this union: Lindell L., born Feb., 1872; Ollie, born Oct. 12, 1874; Herman, born Feb. 5, 1876; Lindell died Feb. 4, 1874. After his marriage he moved to the farm where he remained three years, then moved to Carrollton, where he staid one year; was engaged in painting; then returned to the farm, where he remained until the Spring of 1878; then he began business in Fayette, and has since continued at the above named business. Is a member of the M. E. Church.
CARRICO, LAFAYETTE T., farmer and stock raiser, Sec. 33, P. O. Kane. Lafayette Carrico was born in Jersey County in 1843, and is the oldest child of John C. and Winnie Ann Carrico. In entering into a description of life and times in Greene County, and of the men who are actors therein, of those born in the State, it can only be said of those who followed agriculture for a livelihood, that little of the hardships of frontier life fell to their lot, and necessarily some of our sketches occupy more space than others. Lafayette Carrico passed boyhood upon a farm, and received the usual district school education. In 1864, he was married to Miss Rosann Shanks, by whom he had two children: Clara, born in 1868 and Anna, born Dec. 8, 1864, died Jan. 13, 1866. Mr. Carrico is the owner of 100 acres of land, and is a thorough-going, successful farmer.
CARRIGER, GEORGE W., farmer, Sec. 13, P. O. Breese, was born Jan. 12, 1850, in Lincoln Co., Tenn. His father died at the age of fifty years; his mother is still living in Tenn. He was married Feb. 13, 1873, to Nonie Coates, daughter of Lee and Emeline Coates. She was born Feb. 191, 1857. They have two children living and one deceased: Archie W. was born Sept. 3, 1875; Clyde T., born Jan. 24, 1877; Orie L., born July 25, 1874, died Sept. 19, 1874. He is living just west of the town of Breese.
CARRIGER, NICHOLAS, farmer and stock raiser, Sec. 12, P. O. Breese. Mr. Carriger was born in Lincoln County, Tenn. Nov. 16, 1828. He was two years old when his parents, Leonard and Sylvania Carriger, emigrated from Tennessee to Illinois; settling on the property now owned by Nicholas; the old folks, after many years of hard toil among the pioneers of long ago, were laid at rest beneath the prairies of Greene County that they loved so well. Nicholas was the third child born of this marriage; his schooling was obtained where the studies were limited to a spelling book or a testament. November 8, 1860, he was married to Miss Louisa Breden; of ten children born of this marriage the following are living: Sylvania E., George F., Orlena C., Henry McLean, Charles Perry and Florence E.
CARTER, JAMES W. farmer and stock raiser, Sec. 1, P. O. Carrollton. Jmaes W. Carter is a native of Kentucy, where he was born on the 25th of April, 1854. His father, John C. Carter, was born in Kentucky; there followed farming and married, shortly after attaining his majority, Miss Jane T. Stanton, of Kentucky, who bore him nine children, Charles F., James W., from whom our sketch is obtained, Joseph S., John C., David C., George A., Doctor F., Mary E., and Harry L. Some twenty years ago the family moved to Greene County, Ill., where the head of the family is now a prosperous farmer, and where our subject grew to manhood and received a liberal education. In 1876 he was united in marriage to Miss Mattie King, a daughter of John and Charlotte King; one child blessed this union, William, born in 1878. Mr. Carter is the owner of 160 acres of valuable land, and ranks among our more substantial farmers.
CHAPMAN, ADAM, retired farmer, Roodhouse, Illinois. The above named gentleman was the youngest son of Luke and Grace Chapman, natives of Yorkshire, England, who crossed the Atlantic about the year 1820. The family then consisted of Sarah, Benjamin and William. A settlement was made in Virginia, where Luke, Hannah and Adam were born. Adam, born in 1833, was but six years of age when his mother moved to Illinois; his father having died during his third year. On arrival in Illinois the little party of emigrants first settled in Scott County, remaining one year, and then moving to Greeen County. Adam lived with his mother during her life. He became a resident of Pittsfield, Pike County, two years. A hard working farmer, owning a good property, he became truly successful. Moving to Roodhouse on account of impaired health, he invested in valuable town property. Mr. Chapman was married to Laura B. Pea, a daughter of Ezekiel and E. M. Pea; one child, Edward, born in Greene County.
CHAPMAN, LUKE, farmer and stock raiser, Sec. 16, P. O. Roodhouse. Mr. Chapman was born in Western Virginia, Jan. 29, 1826, fourth child of Luke and Grace Chapman. During the early childhood of Luke, his father died; In 1835, Mrs. Chapman, accompanied by her family, traveled west to Illinois, settling in Greene County, where land was purchased, and here young Luke helped very materially toward the family maintenence. At twenty three he married Miss Clarinda Lorton, a daughter of Thomas Lorton, who settled in Greene County in 1818. Prior to his marriage, Mr. Chapman had purchased 100 acres of land, and now set to work to prepare a home, and after many years of hard labor, now finds himself comfortably situated in life; one child, Cornelia, born in 1851.
CHRISTY, GEORGE, farmer and stock raiser, Sec. 29, P. O. Kane. George Christy is a native of Greene County, born in 1839; the youngest son of John C. and Elizabeth Christy. John C. Christy was a native of Ohio, born in 1801; in an early day he moved to Lawrence County, Ill., and subsequently to Greene, where he married Miss Elizabeth Dennison, and after his settlement in Greene he followed agricultural pursuits until his death, which occurred about the year 1845. Mr. Christy was a brother of the widely known millionaire of St. Louis, Andrew Christy, whose generosity on the close of a wonderfully eventful life laid the prosperity of many who bear the name. George, from his earliest years, has followed agricultural pursuits, and today ranks among the wealthier farmers of this section.
CLARK, JOHN M., mechanic, Sec. 32, P. O. Rockbridge, was born in Rockbridge County, Va., Aug. 4, 1846, is the son of Samuel and Ann Clark, her maiden name was Reynolds. At the age of 14 he moved to Green County, Ohio, with his parents. August, 1862, enlisted in the 5th Ohio Cav., Co. C., Gov. Todd's Independent Scouts; remained bout one year, and when they were disbanded re-enlisted in the 60th Ohio Vol, Co. C. This regiment was unfortunate, being severely cut to pieces. The Colonel in one instance led the regiment into the very fact of division of Lee's army, and thirty-three out of his company were buried in one grave at Spottsylvania, and out of 102 men in his company only nine of them returned unscathed, of which John was one of the number. He was at the battle of the Wilderness, Nye River, Bethseda Church, North Anna River, Spottsylvania, and Cold Harbor, where he was taken prisoner and served about seven months in several prisons, Belle Isle, Libby, Milan and Andersonville. During the time he was at Milan he escaped, but was pursued by blood hounds and captured, having to climb a tree to escape being torn to pieces. During the time he was with the regiment he had some very narrow escapes; had at one time twenty three bullet holes through his overcoat, but cam out without a scratch. When he came out of Andersonville prison he weighed by seventy five pounds, and when he went home his mother did not recognize him. He received his discharge Aug. 6, 1865 and after the war came to the county, hired out to Charles Scandredt, Jr.; worked for him three years on a farm; married Jennie Howard, born Jan. 19, 1851; had five children: Charles W., born Feb. 6, 1870; Magnolia, born Oct. 19, 1872; Elizabeth O., bornNov. 21, 1874; John S., born Dec. 12, 1876; Roy E., born Feb. 17, 1878. He has learned the wagon maker and carpenter's trade; is proprietor of a steam thresher, which he has been running for ten years; is a member of Sheffield Lodge No. 678, A.F. and A. M.; cast his first vote for U. S. Grant.
CLARK, JOSEPH A. farmer and stock raiser, res. Second St., Carrollton; farm property situated in township 9, range 13, and township 8, range 13, and consisting of 720 acres. Joseph A. Clark is a native of Iowa, was born in 1839, the second child of Joshua and Paulina Clark, whose maiden name was Hoffman. The family moved from Iowa when our subject was a child, and settled on land at a point familiarly known as the Bluffs, where the head of the family followed agricultural pursuits, until his entree into the hotel business at Carrollton. He officiated in this capacity for six years, when he again took up the life of a farmer, and here young Clark passed his early years, and first embarked in business on Macoupin Creek; at a point now known as Clark's Landing; here he kept a grocery, and attended to the duties pertaining to his farm, and also rafted logs down the river to St. Louis and Alton, during the greater part of ten years. Mr. Clark energetically pursued the calling of rafting logs down the river, and on which transaction he realized a handsome profit, and in due time he accumulated a handsome property, and now owns as above stated, 720 acres. In Fuldom, Jersey co., Mr. Clark transacted a general merchandise business, and held the position of postmaster when he moved to Carrolton, where he purchased a residence and town property. In 1861, Mr. C. was united in marriage to Miss Elizabeth Fulks, a daughter of John Fulks, by whom he has six children: Clara B., Mary, Jennie, Cyrilda, Rosa and Zana.
CLARK, ROBERT H. farmer and thresher, Sec. 4, P. O. Rockbridge. The subject of our sketch was born in Virginia, Oct. 10, 1826, where he grew to manhood, receiving such education as time and opportunity offered. Attaining his majority he voyaged down the Ohio River to Cincinnati, and from this point proceeded to St. Louis, Mo., and thence to Greene County, where he entered the employ of Samuel Judy, as a farm hand. Several months had elapsed when he returned to Virginia, and there united his fortunes on the 20th of Sept. 1858, to Miss Isabel Vest. He now moved to Ohio where he remained a resident for four years; at the end of this time he again became a resident of Greene County, where he entered the service of his old employer, continuing with him until his decease, which occurred one year later. From this time onward his energy and will carried him successfully forward. For many years he has ran a horsepower, and latterly a steam thresher, and in this vocation has met with flattering success. Of the marriage above referred to eight children were born: America, Lincoln, James, John, Phoebe, Nellie, Frank and Clifton.
CLEMMONS, DR. C. P., physician and surgeon, for the past twenty years in practice at Carrollton, was born in Davidson Co., North Carolina, January, 1817; at twenty-one he became a resident of Louisville, Ky., where he entered the medical university, remaining three years, graduating as an M. D. in 1848. It may be here stated, that Dr. C. is, in every sense of the word, a self-made man, whose studies in the medical profession were made under difficulties that many would have given was under, and never have risen to any worthy position in life. From this institution he graduated with high honors. In 1841 he took up the practice of medicine. For eighteen years, he was a resident of Pike Co., Ill., where he obtained a large and lucrative practice. In 1858 the Doctor moved to Carrollton, where his skill as a physician soon becoming known, he secured a very liberal patronage. In 1862 he erected the large brick building east of court-house, where, from '62 until '76, he transacted a large drug business. In addition to this, Dr. Clemmns owns some four or five other substantial dwellings in the city, and a country property, consisting of 227 acres of land, within a short distance of the city. In Nebraska he also owns two sections of valuable land. For three terms has been alderman of Carrollton. In 1851 he was married to Miss Matilda Thomas, daughter of the Hon. Samuel Thomas, by whom he has four children: Emma, who married Dr. Lindsay of Carrollton; Thomas, a farmer; Charles, a graduate of St. Louis Medical College and Eliza, now attending Godfrey College at Monticello, Ill.
CLOUGH, JOHN, farmer and stock raiser, Sec. 23, P. O. Carrollton. The whole-souled gentleman, whose name appears at the head of this biography is a native of Yorkshire, England, where he was born on the eighth day of October, 1821; the youngest child of Robert and Elizabeth Clough. The days of his childhood and early youth were spent upon European shores, where he followed agricultural pursuits and received a liberal education in the subscription schools of his native place. In 1850 he crossed the Atlantic for the new world; landing in New York City on the 5th of April of the year above given. Remaining in New York but a short time he came direct to the West, locating at Carrollton where he subsequently found employment as a butcher, and for twenty years was associated in business with W. O. Greaves, whose biography appears elsewhere, in a city meat market at Carrollton. Some eight years since Mr. Clough retired from the above business, turning his attention to farming,and now resides at his farm residence in Township 10, R. 12. In 1855 Mr. Clough was married to Miss Emma Greaves, a daughter of W. O. and Harriet Greaves. Seven children were born of this marriage, four of whom are living, and whose names are in order of birth, John, Robert, George, and Hattie. Mr. Clough has been twice mayor of Carrollton, and was first elected to this prominent position in 1873, and subsequently received a re-election to the same office in 1875.
COATES, MARCUS, farmer, Sec. 35, P. O. Schutz Mill, was born in this county Dec. 14, 1852. He was married July 8, 1871, to Christina Schutz, daughter of Matthew Schutz; she was born Nov. 4, 1852. He owns forty acres of land, valued at $500, and cultivates two hundred acres belonging to his father-in-law. His father was born in South Carolina, and was killed by a train on the Chicago & Alton R.R. three years since; he was about eighty years of age.
COATES, W. B., dealer in dry goods, boots, shoes, hardware, groceries, drugs, etc., etc., Wilmington, Greene Co., Ill. Mr. Coates was born in South Carolina, October 1835; the following year his parents moved to Illinois, locating at Wilmington, in Greene County; here the head of the family erected the building now owned and occupied by George W. McCollister; shortly after this he moved down on the bluffs, and purchased the grist mill then owned by David Hodges; he transacted a successful business until 1844, when he leased it for twenty-five years to Lemuel Patterson, George Sholts, and A. S. Seeley. Mr. Coates died many years ago; he was the father of ten children, of whom W. B. was the fourth; he first worked for neighboring farmers; for four years he worked in the mines of Montana; on his return to Wilmington he entered into the mercantile business, purchasing the building he now occupies, one of the most substantial in Wilmington; here he has held forth many a year, meeting with a large patronage due his honesty and square dealing. He was married in 1859 to Miss Elizabeth Watt, a daughter of Miner Watt, an old settler of Greene County. Mr. Coates has seven children: Peroria, Denver, Mary, Martha, Lillie, Tilden, and infant child.
COBB, L. E., retired farmer. L. E. Cobb was born in Burke Co., N. C., Feb. 24, 1810. At the youthful age of nineteen, he set out for the State of Indiana, on foot. The distance, 500 miles was made on foot not over a broad level prairie, like many who settled in the West in an early day, but on his way, which comprised considerable of the distance, he crossed the range of mountains known as the Blue Ridge, in North Carolina, and Clinch and Cumberland. This long distance was traversed in twelve days, giving the reader some idea of the strength of character and indomitable will of the hardy pioneers, who will soon be known only in history. Arriving in Indiana, Mr. Cobb secured employment in a tannery, also worked as farm hand; first entered Illinois in 1832; worked for a blacksmith two weeks, receiving five dollars therefor; his bed at night, a puncheon floor; his covering, deer skins; a life made up of variety surely. Becoming proprietor of a small tannery, he earned his first $100, and purchased eighty acres in Macoupin Co. In Morgan County, he married Miss Mary Crum, daughter of Mathias Crum, a native of Virginia. In 1852, he disposed of his property there and came to Greene Co., where he bought a valuable tract of land, part of which now lies in the corporation of Roodhouse. There are seven children: Joseph, William, John, James, Mary, Margaret and Fanny. On closing this sketch, it is due Mr. Cobb, to state that he has won his way to a leading position through merit.
COLLINS, J. F., merchant, Greenfield. Among the "young settlers" of this township who are self-made and have attained success under discouraging circumstances, is the party whose name heads this sketch. John is a native born Greene Countian; first saw the light of day in town 10, range 11, May 17, 1833; is the youngest of a family of four children, born of John W. and Miriam C., her maiden name was Piper, her people being natives of Kentucky, while the Collins family are of Maryland. John left home at the age of 17, and struck out for himself, having but a dilapidated suit of jeans, a home-made shirt, and not a copper in his pocket, yet he had willing hands and a determination to make something out of himself, these constituted his stock-in-trade; worked the first year on a farm; then went to learn the trade of a blacksmith with Cress & Barnett; worked the first two years at 12 1/2 cents per day, and the third year at 25 cents per day, then worked the next year for them as journeyman; then associated with John Broadmarkle in the blacksmithing business, which partnership lasted two years; then associated with Jonathan Adams in same business until 1862, when he enlisted in the 91st Regt. Co. K, and was commissioned as lst Lieut., remaining with regiment eighteen months, when he was discharged at New Orleans on account of disability. In 1864 went into the mercantile business with Edward Wooley, associating with him three years; subsequent to this went into business with Ben. Allen in the mule trade; then bought out the interest of James Wooley in the drug business. In 1867, went into business with G. W. T. Sheffield, carrying a line of goods; in 1877 bought out Johnson's interest, and has since continued at the same business; keeps dry goods, clothing, boots and shoes. Mr. Collins is known as an upright man, and conscientious in his dealings, and has been successful in business operations. Is a member of the Greenfield Lodge, A.F. and A. M., No. 129, also of the I. O.O. F. Was rocked in the cradle of "Whigism" and died the hardest death of any man in the county (politically). Sept. 20 1855, married Annie Mason, born May 4, 1837, she is a daughter of Dr. George Mason, town 10, range 11. Eight children have been born them, but four now living, viz: Dr. Franklin, born April 1, 1866; Minnie H. born Dec. 26, 1869; John Mason, born Nov. 29, 1872; David Lynn, born March 26, 1875.
COLLINS, J. R., farmer and stock raiser, Sec. 15, P. O. White Hall. The subject of this biography is a native of Hampshire County, Va., where he was born in the year 1810. He was the second of a family of nine children. At the age of Eight years his parents Jacob and Sarah Collins emigrated to Ohio, settling in Guernsey County, where the subject of this sketch learned the trade of a carpenter and joiner. In 1832, on the 12th of January, he was united in marriage to Miss Lucinda Jackson, a daughter of Jacob and Margaret Jackson, by whom he had ten children, eight of whom are living: Margaret Jane, O. J., E. S., J. M., A. A. and M. F. Durng the Autumn of 1856, Mr. Collins emigrated with his family to the West, and located in Greene County, where he bought a tract of land consisting of 240 acres. Since this date he has followed farming successfully, and now resides in township 11, range 13, where he lives in comfortable circumstances and enjoys the respect and confidence of community in which he now lives.
COLLINS, W. M., farmer, Sec. 1, P. O. Greenfield, was born in Bourbon County, Ky., March 2, 1831. He was the second child of six children of John and Miriam Collins, whose maiden name was Piper. John was born in Maryland, and his wife a native of Kentucky, they are of Danish and Irish descent. The subject of this sketch came to this county at an early age, and with his parents settled north of Greenfield. During the time he remained at home was occupied in duties pertaining to the farm, and attended school but very little. At the age of 19 he took the "gold fever", went to California, where he engaged in mining, in which he was successful, but his health failing him, was compelled to return home after one year's experience in the gold "diggings". He was married to Nancy Ruark, which event occurred in March 1852, she was born in Kentucky, Jan. 26, 1835. Thirteen children have been the result of this union, nine of whom are now living: Lorenzo C., born July 21, 1853; James S., born Oct. 28, 1856; Miriam L., born April 5, 1860; Charels E., born April 9, 1862; Richard Y., born Feb. 2, 1864; Walter E., born Feb. 21, 1868; Willie E., born April 27, 1870; Nancy J., born Oct. 6, 1874; Rosa B., born Oct. 15, 1878. Upon his return from California he bought 120 acres of land in town 11, range 10. In 1855 sold out and bought 216 acres of land on the section he now lives, and has since added to it until he now owns 406 acres. In 1864, enlisted in the U. S. service; had been previous to this captain of a company of militia, which company (nearly all) went with him, and were incorporated in the 103d Regt. Ill. State Vol. He was anxious to join the service in the outbreak of the war, but the illness of his wife prevented, but finally went out in the 100 day service, in which he served as captain. Mr. Collins is a member of the M. E. church, and has been since his sixteenth year. Is also a member of Fayette Lodge of A.F. and A. M., No. 107. He is a man that stands high in the estimation of his neighbors, and whose honest and integrity are unquestioned.
COLLISTER, GEORGE W., farmer, Sec. 18, P. O. Breese. Mr. Collister is an early settler of this county and was born in Vermont, November 6, 1818; in the company with the Hon. Judge Worcester, of White Hall, he set out by way of the Lake Erie Canal and Ohio River for Illinois; in due time the two emigrants arrived at White Hall, when it contained a few scattered houses. Mr. Worcester became a school teacher. Mr. Collister worked at his trade, that of a blacksmith, for three years, proprietor of a shop; he now moved on Apple Creek, between Wilmington and White Hall, where he opened a blacksmith shop; during this time, date 1839, he was married to Miss Maria Johnson, a native of Vermont; for many years he worked as a blacksmith, and in 1852 set out for the golden shores of the Pacific, where he remained five years among the gold mines, becoming moderately successful; in 1857, returning to Illinois, he settled down to the sweet life of a farmer, having purchased 130 acres prior to his journey to the Pacific; for forty-two years, with the exception of his short residence on the Pacific coast, Mr. Collister has made his home here. For thirty-six years he has been a resident of Wilington and is the oldest settler now living within its limits; the marriage of Mr. Collister was blessed with six children, five of whom are living: Alfred, George, Lucy, Julia and Mellisa; Mr. C. owns a valuable town property.
COLMAN, DAVID R., miller, Sec. 34, P. O. Rockbridge. David is a son of Jeremiah Colman, born in Vincennes, Ind.; married Alvira Robinson; in tracing back their ancestry we find that they are of English and Irish descent. David's education, that he obtained in the common schools, ended with his fourteenth year; he then went to learn the printer's art, but on account of ill health was compelled to abandon it. His father, Jeremiah, being a miller by occupation, he concluded to follow in the line of his father's footsteps, and began at Brighton, where remained two years. In Oct. 9, 1861, he formed a matrimonial alliance with Sarah Kellogg, she was born March 18, 1842. They have had seven children: Daniel K., born Nov. 19, 1862; May, born Sept. 1866; Leona, Oct. 9, 1869. David R. was born in Jefferson County, N. Y., Sept. 27, 1837, he is the eighth child of a family of thirteen children. Aug. 15, 1862, he enlisted in the U. S. service, 38th Regt. of Ill. State Vol., Co. I, where he remained until the close of the war,during which time he was engaged in all the battles in which the regiment participated. Upon his return he went to Brighton, where he resumed his trade, and continued until 1869, when he went to the Rockbridge Mill, and there engaged with Mr. Sheffield, running the mill for a time, then bought it, and moved the same to this place, and has since been running the same, and is making a success; came here without a dollar and is now dong a good business; has a saw mill in connection with his flouring mil, and between the two he has all that he can do. His ability as an excellent miller, and his square dealing, has been recognized, and he is now on the road to wealth. He is a member of the Baptist Church, also a member of the Knights of Honor, Golden Rule Lodge, No. 1017.
CONNOLE, ANTHONY, Deputy County Clerk, r cor. W. 9th st. and Maple Av. Anthony Connole is a native of County Clare, Ireland. Born July 3d, 1842, crossing the Atlantic in his 17th year he landed in the city of New Orleans; from the "Crescent City" he made his way to Carrollton, where he first worked as a farm-hand for David Black and attended school during the winter, having previously received a liberal education in his native land. When the war broke out Mr. Connole enlisted in Co. F, lst Mo., Cav., and subsequently re-enlisted as a veteran in Co. A., 53d Ill. Infantry; detailed as a sergeant, he became a participant in many noted battles; honorably discharged when the war closed, he proceeded to Kentucky where he became employed as clerk for a railroad contractor; afterwards proceeding to Springfield, he officiated as clerk for the U. S. Marshall; from here he went to Berdan, in Greene County, where he entered into the mercantile business, and was elected justice of the peace, and during the present year was appointed deputy clerk under the Hon. L. R. Lakin, County Clerk. In 1869 Mr. Connole was married to Miss Mary Markham, by whom he has five children.
COOPER, MRS. MARGARET C., farming, Sec. 22, P. O. Wrightsville, was born in this county, Aug. 11, 1837, is the daughter of Joel and Nancy Johnson. Her mother's maiden name was Banning. Mrs. Cooper's father was a native of this State, and was identified with its interests up to the time of his death, which occurred in 1872. Mrs. Cooper remained with her parents until her nineteenth year, when she was united in marriage to W. T. Cooper, a son of E. L. Cooper, an old settler and resident of this county; their marriage took place April 27, 1856. After their marriage he located on the land now occupied by Mrs. Cooper, and farming was his occupation during the time he lived; on July 19, 1875, he fell a victim to that terrible malady, consumption; was a man that was highly esteemed in the circle of his acquaintances; during his life was a consistent member of the U. Baptist Church, of which Mrs. Cooper is also a member. Seven children have been born to them: Owen, born June 26, 1857, died Aug. 26, 1878; Rosie Jane, born April 15, 1860; George E., born March 29, 1864; William E., born March 26, 1866; Martha A., born April 17, 1868; Minnie L., born June 5, 1872; Mary, born May10, 1875. Since the death of her husband, Mrs. Cooper has continued the farm enterprise, and still keeps her family together, and give the management of the farm her own supervision.
COTTER, William, marble agent, r cor. Bridgeport and South Main St., White Hall. Wm. Cotter, the oldest settler now living in White Hall, was born in the State of Tennessee in 1812, where he passed his earlier years upon the old farm homestead of his parents, William and Anna Cotter, who concluded to emigrate to the West in 1827, locating east of White Hall, in Green County, near Apple Creek, in 1827, where our subject received a good common school education in the primitive log cabin of the period. July, 1837, Mrs. Cotter was united in marriage to Miss Mary Dennis, a daughter of Mathew Q. Dennis, by whom he has eight children, whose name are here appended: Mary F., Charles S., Laura, Warren A., Martha A., Lettie L., Dennis B. and Lulu. Fora number of years Mr. Cotter followed the calling of a butcher, and in 1836 entered into the mercantile business, and on retirement from this was elected constable of the town, holding this position for a period of twelve years. In 1850 he crossed the plains for California, where he roughed it among the mines for two years, when he again sought his old home in White Hall, where he has since been identified with the business interests of the place and for the past seven years in the employ of H. Watson, the only marble manufacturer in the city.
COX, J. N., farmer and stock raiser, Sec. 15, P. O. White Hall. Mr. Cox is a native of Ohio, where he was born on the 25th of January, 1832, and where he passed the days of his childhood and early youth upon the old farm homestead, acquiring a good common school education. Remaining in Ohio until 1852, he then emigrated to the West, settling the vicinity of Wlakersville, Galena County, during the Spring of that year; and the following year, in the month of July, he was united in marriage to Miss Sarah Jane Collins, a daughter of Josiah Collins, deceased by whom he has five children: Mary E., Ira E., Freddie W., Rosa Ann, and Major. Mr. Cox ranks among the more prosperous farmers of this township, owning 263 acres of valuable land, and few are better known for liberality and enterprise.
CRANE, GEORGE B. contractor and builder, Sec. 34, P. O. Rockbridge. The subject of this sketch was born in Grant County, Wis., Aug. 28, 1844, is the eldest of a family of two children, born of Harvey Crane and Sidney Bowman, his wife. He was 11 months old when he came to this county with his parents, who located on String Prairie. He had the usual common school advantages. His father being a carpenter, he learned the trade of him, assisting him during the Summer and attending school during the Winter, and at the age of seventeen had the trade completed. Sept. 23, 1861, enlisted in 32d Regt. Ill. State Vol., Co. D.; remained in that regiment until November 1864, when he was transferred to the 4th Veteran Reserve Corps; had while in the 32d Regt., from exposure, impaired his health to such an extent as to render him unfit for active service, hence the transfer to Reserve Corps. Participated in the battles of Pittsburgh Land, Siege of Vicksburg, and Jackson, Miss.; received an honorable discharge Sept. 6, 1864. Upon his return home resumed his trade with his father; made a trip to Montgomery County, remained about eight months, returning home worked at his trade about Greenfield. June 26, 1866, married Sarah J. Wetsel, of Rock Island, born in Beaver County, Pa., April 13, 1845; but one child living, Frank E., born March 3, 1867. August, 1870, moved to Rockbridge and has since been engaged at his trade as contractor and builder. Republican in sentiment.
CRANE, HARVEY, retired, Sec. 34, P. O. Rockbridge, was born in Claremont County, Ohio, July 14, 1810, was the second child of a family of ten children, born of Luther and Hannah Crane, her maiden name being Chalmers, his parents are of Welch descent. Harvey left the parental roof at the age of 17, and went to learn the carpenter's trade, which he completed at the time he attained his majority, when he embarked for the West, and landed at Carrollton, this State, where he engaged at his trade, at which he continued there, for six years; subsequent to this made several changes, first to Ottawa, Pike County, then to Plattesville, Wis., where he remained four years; and in the year 1845 came to String Prairie, where he remained until he came to the town of Rockbridge. In Oct. 5, 1843, he married Lucinda Bowman, sister of Daniel Bowman, of this township. They have had four children, but two are now living: George B. was born Aug. 28, 1844; Elias was born May 17, 1848; Joshua was born March 11, 1850, and died December, 1871. In March, 1877, he moved to the town of Rockbridge, and has since remained. Mr. Crane has been engaged in farming for several years past, his boys attending to the farm while he continued at his trade. Mrs. Crane was born Sept. 10, 1815, and died Dec. 18, 1878, since which he has lived at his home and taking his meals with his son, who is living near. Mr. Crane was an old line Whig, and cast his first vote for Henry Clay; has since the dawn of the Republican party voted the straight ticket. Mr. Crane is now retired from business, and is now enjoying the fruits of his past labors in peace and tranquility.
CRESS, HENRY, farmer, Sec. 4, P. O. Greenfield, is a son of John and Nancy Cress,her maiden name was Broadmarkle. Both of John's parents were in the Hessian army, and fought against the Colonists; the British and induced them to believe that the Americans "were a set of cannibals," but after they saw for themselves and understood the situation, that Washington was fighting for liberty, after the battle of Preston, N. J., they abandoned the Hessians and joined his standard. Henry, the subject of these lines, was born in Alleghany County, Md., Feb. 18, 1820. His parents dying when he was quite young, he was placed under the fostering care of his grandmother. At the age of 13, went to learn the blacksmith's trade. In 1842, came West, first stopping at White Hall, remained there until 1846, when he came to Greenfield, which was then in its infancy; worked for Euen Johnson, staid with him until he built the shop now run by J. Broadmarkle, and set up business for himself,, and continued at it for fifteen years; he then abandoned the anvil and forge and moved to the east side of town and began farming, and has since remained. Has 353 acres of land and 160 in Montgomery County. Dec. 30, 1851, was united in marriage to Nancy E. Benear, daughter of John S. Benear, she was born in Ohio, Dec. 16, 1827. Six children have crowned this union, but four now living: William, born Aug. 16, 1855; Joseph, born March 14, 1858; Everett, born Sept. 4, 1860; Norvel, born Oct 25, 1867; Mr. Cress is a self-made man; been a hard worker and good manager; cast his first vote for James K. Polk; was always a Democrat until the war, since been Republican; is a member of the I.O. O. F., Greenfield Lodge No. 195.
CRIST, C. J., farmer and stock raiser, Sec. 21, P. O. Roodhouse; was born in Greene County in 1845; owns 160 acres in this township; during the present years elected justice of the peace, vice Perry McConathy; for ten years a school teacher.
CRIST, DAVID, farmer and stock raiser, Sec. 16, P. O. Roodhouse. It was during the year 1833 that David Crist landed in Greene County; he was then in his twenty-fourth year; a native of Ohio. He had but a few hundred dollars wherewith to commence life on our western prairies; settling near White Hall, then a village containing two rude dwellings once answering for a store. Mr. Crist was far above the average in both intelligence and in a business point of view; entering into partnership with Joshua Simonds, they opened a general merchandise store where a fair trade was done for the space of one year, when Mr. Simonds died; disposing of his stock of goods by auction, he now entered into partnership with Knapp & Poe, who ran a flour mill at Beardstown; purchasing a flat-boat the adventurous speculators laid in a supply of pork and flour, and were soon bon voyage down the mighty Mississippi for New Orleans. Arriving in the Crescent City a fair profit was derived from the venture. This sort of life was suitable to the daring pioneer, and many ventures of a like nature were afterwards made down the Father of Waters. In 1836 he purchased a large drove of hogs, intending to ship to New Orleans; the winter proving unusually severe, the Mississippi being frozen over, he now found it necessary to dispose of his cargo to a man by the name of Talbot, realizing a $2,000 profit on the speculation. Turning his attention to farming, he brought his farm property to a high state of cultivation, through the same energy that marked his many voyages down the Mississippi; at one time he was the owner of 300 acres of good land. An honest, generous man, a true type of the western pioneer. The first wife of Mr. Crist died in 1851, leaving to his care three children, Louisa, Sarah and Jacob. In 1853 he was married to Miss Lucinda Blivens, by whom he had four children, none of whom are living; in 1860 Mrs. Crist found a last resting place where so many years of her married life were spent. In 1862 Mr. Crist was united in marriage to Mrs. Sarah Campbell, a daughter of Thomas Lorton. A short biography will here be given of the children: Louisa married Benjamin Strang, Sarah married Amberg Campbell, Charles J. married Eliza Jane Wales. First wife of Mr. Crist was Maria Jackson, a daughter of Dr. Jackson.
CROW, DR. J. T. physician and surgeon. The above gentleman was born in Pike County, Mo., on the 14th of April 1827, where he remained until he had attained his 17th year, date 1846, when he proceeded to Danville, Kentucky, where he entered upon a literary course of study, graduating with the honorary degree of Bachelor of Arts, with Dr. Geo. B. Wilcox, who was among the first families of Virginia, an eminent surgeon and a participant during his younger days, in the war of 1812. After remaining with Dr. Wilcox for a period of one year, the youthful student attended a course of lectures at the medical department of the St. Louis University, now the St. Louis Medical College. Graduating at this school in 1854, he first entered upon the practice of his profession in Scotland Co., Mo.; while here he married, in 1855, Miss Martha E. Gorin, a daughter of H. M. Gorin, Clerk of the Circuit Court of Decatur, Macon Co., for many years. In 1862 Dr. Crow became a resident of Greene County; the following year proceeding to Quincy, where he resided one year; then to Carrollton, and thence to the golden shores of the Pacific coast in 1865; here, for a short time, practicing as a physician, when he again turned his footsteps towards Illinois, locating in due time at Carrollton, where he has since became a permanent resident; where his skill as a physician is recognized and where he has a large and constantly growing practice. Of the marriage above referred to seven children were born, two only of whom are living, Charles C. and Albert S.
CRYDER, DAVID, farmer and stock raiser, Sec. 13, P. O. Roodhouse. The above named gentleman was born in Ross County, Ohio, August, 1813, where he resided many years. Learning the vocation of a miller, he became a workman in the flouring mill of his father; this not proving a healthy employment he turned his attention to farming. In 1836 he was married to Miss Mary Downs, by whom he had two children, one now living, Theodore. Mrs. Cryder died in 1840 and the following years Mr. Cryder was married to Miss Rachel R. Hunter, by whom he has three children: Mary, now the wife of E. A. Husted; James H., who married Miss Emily Martin; Emma, who married Francis M. Martin. Since 1855 Mr. Cryder has been a resident of Greene County, where, at one time, he held the position of deputy assessor; in his native State of Ohio, he held numerous offices of trust and responsibility. In 1846 he was a member of the House of Representatives, and, in 1843, while a resident of Delaware County, was elected probate judge.
CRYDER, JAMES H. farmer and stock raiser, Sec. 13, P. O. Roodhouse. The subject of this sketch was born in Ross County, Ohio, August 1847; in his fifth years his parents moved to Delaware County; he was in his seventeenth years when they moved to Greene County, on the present property in Tp. 12, R. 11. In 1869 he was united in marriage to Miss Emily martin, a daughter of Josiah; four children born of this marriage, Thomas, Charles, Bessie and Maud. MR C. is the owner of 80 acres well improved land.
CULLIMORE, JAMES, retired hardware merchant. For a number of years transacted a successful business under the firm name of Cullimore Brothers. Was born in the city of Baltimore in 1842, where he resided until his parents removed to Greene County, in 1851; in the city of Carrollton passed his early years and became apprenticed to the trade of a carriage-maker and subsequently that of a tinsmith. A tinner when the war came on, he enlisted in Co. I, 91st Illinois Infantry for three years; served and became a participant in the battle of Elizabethtown and other of less note. When the war closed Mr. C. returned to Carrollton, where he, shortly after, formed a co-partnership business with his brother, John W. Cullimore, in the hardware, tin store and furniture trade. Both were men of enterprise and soon established a good trade; continuing in business for a period of ten years; at the expiration of this time the firm was dissolved by mutual consent. In 1874 Mr. Cullimore was united in marriage to Miss Alice E. Black, a daughter of William Black, by whom he has two children: Eddie and Gracie. Mr. Cullimore, Sen., first settled in Greene Co. in 1847.
CULVER, Dr. S. H. for many years a resident of Greene County, was born in Rhode Island, September 26, 1803. His father was David Culver, who was born in the State of Rhode Island in 1758. He was the commander of a vessel during the Revolutionary War, a noted man in his day, who was as well known for his bravery as for his true nobility of character. He held many offices of importance. In his day an extensive business was done in clam fishery. His son, while engaged in this peculiar calling, had waded far beyond his depth; discovering his peril, his father immediately went to his rescue. He was a very powerful man and an excellent swimmer, but both father and son sank never to rise again, and two more victims were added to the long list of those who had perished beneath the broad waters of the Atlantic. The second wife of David Culver was Miss Mary Hill, of Rhode Island. Of nine children born of this marriage, S. H. Culver was the youngest. When but 18 years old, September 1821, he was married to Miss Polly Madison. Shortly after this important event he moved to Rochester, New York, where he began the study of medicine, under Dr. Smith. In 1823, he joined the M. E. Church, and was licensed to preach the Gospel. In 1831 Dr. Culver came to Greene County, locating west of White Hall, where with but little exception, Dr. C. has been a resident ever since. For 55 years he has been a minister of the Gospel, and an experienced physician. Dr. Culver is a prominent man in our county, who has gained prominence and wealth through industry, economy and judgment. Of eleven children born of this marriage, but two are living, Alonzo J. and Buell G.
CUNNINGHAM, A. M., farmer, Sec. 26, P. O. Carrollton. The above named gentleman, although not ranked among the early residents of this county, is worthy of more than a passing notice. He was born in Marion County, Ky., April 16, 1820. Eight children of this family grew to maturity, of whom we here append the names: Isabella, Cassandra, William, Richard, Samuel, Andrew, and Ellen. The head of this family, Robert Cunngham, was a native of Pennsylvania. When six years old his parents moved to Kentucky, where he grew to manhood, and married Miss Nancy Beall, a daughter of Richard Beall, of Kentucky. Robert Cunningham was a tanner in Kentucky, where he passed the remainder of his life, September 1856. In 1831, Cassandra Cunningham, wife of Geo. Wright, came to Greene County; seven years later, A. M. Cunningham made a visit and in 1841 became a permanent resident, entering land on what was called String Pariarie, eleven miles northeast of Carrollton, where he broke prairie and cleared the timber for a home, and built a cabin; two years later, he married Miss Henrietta Greer, by whom he had eight children, three of whom are living: James M., Nancy J., and Mary E. He first purchased a tract of 200 acres, and from this estate now comes a tract of over 600 acres of well improved land. Mr. Cunningham has been twice mayor of Carrollton, for many years justice of the peace, and held the position of school treasurer sixteen years.
CUNNINGHAM, GEORGE M., farmer and stock raiser, Sec. 17, P. O. Breese. Mr. Cunningham is the youngest son of Joel and Theresa Cunningham, who came to Greene County in an early day, settling near White Hall. Joel Cunningham was a farmer by occupation, following this calling successfully until his decease, which occurred during the Autumn of 1873; he was at one time a large property owner; a trip to California proved peculiarly disastrous. Among the pioneers of Greene county he was known as Uncle Joel, who respected him for his personal worth; to his wife he left the care of five children. George grew to manhood in Greene Co.; in 1874 he was united in marriage to Sarah Virginia Dawson, by whom he has two children: Lenora and Arrinea.
CUNNINGHAM, R. L., farmer, Sec. 22, P. O. Wrightsville, is a son of Samuel Cunningham, of this Township, Sec. 36, who is well known in the county. Robert L. first drew breath in Kentucky, Oct. 1, 1851, and came to this State with his parents when a babe, and remained with his parents up to the time he matured. Jan. 11, 1877, was married to Mary Jane Jones, born Oct. 3, 1852, daughter of Enoch Jones of this county. After their marriage he located on the land he now occupies and began farming, and has since continued. Has one child, Mary Ellen, born Dec. 1877. His wife is a member of the regular Baptist Church. He cast his first vote for U. S. Grant. Has 120 acres of land, 80 of which are in cultivation.
CUNNINGHAM, SAMUEL Mc. farmer, Sec. 36, P. O. Greenfield. The subject of this sketch was born in Marion Co., Ky., Feb. 16, 1818; was son of Robert and Nancy Cunningham, the former a native of Pennsylvania and the latter of Kentucky. Mr. Cunningham came to this county in 1853, and has since been a resident of this county. Was married Dec. 1850, to Emeline E. Cooper, daughter of E. L. Cooper, who came to this county in 1836. From this union they have had nine children: Richard, born Dec. 3, 1855, died Oct. 3, 1855 (?56); William B., born March 4, 1854, died Jan. 20, 1865; Mary E., born Nov. 19, 1866, died Feb. 27, 1868; Robert L., born Oct. 1, 1851; Henry, Sept. 7, 1857; George W., Oct. 10, 1859; Lewis, Jan. 13, 1862; Ann Jane, Feb. 28, 1869. Mr. Cunningham is engaged in farming pursuits; has 660 acres of excellent land, under the best of cultivation. Mr. Cunningham has been in poor health for several years past, and has not the enjoyment he desires; has accumulated wealth, and is reckoned among the solid men of the county; has long been a member of the C. P. Church, and has lived a life consistent with his profession, and has established a name and a reputation of which those who succeed him may justly be proud.
CUNNINGHAM, W.D., farmer, Sec. 13, P. O. Wrightsville, was born in this county, Aug. 16, 1840, was the fourth child of ten children of Richard and Mary Cunningham, early settlers of this county. In September 1866, was married to Emma Coates. They have had six children, of whom four are now living, viz: Luman, Ora, Theodore and Lee. Mr. C. moved to this place in 1873, and now owns 160 acres of land. He is a member of the U. Baptist Church, and is a good citizen and an upright man.
CURTIUS, L. S. farmer and stock raiser, Sec. 24, P. O. Carrollton. Luman Curtius, who ranks among the more prominent farmers of Greene County, was born in Duchess County, N. Y., on the 18th of May 1808. Tracing back the genealogy of the family to the extent that our limited space will allow, we find that Nathaniel Curtius, father of him whose name heads this sketch, was a native of Connecticut, a farmer by occupation; moving to New York State, he there formed the acquaintance of and married Miss Mary Stoddard, by whom he had twelve children, of whom Luman S. Curtius was the 10th child. The old folks, after a life of activity and usefulness, passed to a home not made with hands, in the State of New York; Mrs. C. died in Greene County. Young Luman remained on a farm until he had arrive at the age of sixteen years, when he moved to New York City, where he became liberally educated, and for some time served as writer and collector for Andrew Williams, the well-known Member of Congress, who fitted out the first steamship for California commerce. In 1833, Mr. Curtius made his way Chicago, then a resort of fur traders and trappers from the East; the dread disease cholera had advanced to the West; among hundred of others, the subject of our notice was attacked. Shortly after his recovery he proceeded South to New Orleans, where he went for the purpose of embarking in business; finding trade at a stand still, his liberal education enabled him to reach a high position as a teacher in the Cuvilier College, his powers as a linguist enabling him to secure a comfortable salary. Misfortune, they say, never come singly; no sooner had Mr. Curtius fairly recovered from the effects of the cholera when he was attached with that Southern malady, yellow fever. His strong constitution enabled him to recover from this often fatal disease. Entering upon the eventful career of a speculator, he became more than ordinarily successful, handling principally grain and hay, West produce generally. Having accumulated a fortune in 1840, he determined to make the West his future home, and accordingly made his way to Greene County, Ill., where he purchased 620 acres of valuable land, near the city of Carrollton. While here a resident he formed the acquaintance of and married an estimable lady, Miss Ellen Beebe, a daughter of Judge Beebe, of Elkhart, Indiana, who built the first house in Elkhart. Of this marriage nine children were born, two of whom died in early infancy; seven are living: Mary, Rosala, Ellen, Luman B., Augustus, Henry, and Caroline. During they year 1870, Mrs. Curtius was laid at rest in the cemetery of Carrollton, a worthy monument marking the spot. In 1872, Mr. Curtius united his fortunes to Miss Mary K. Snedeker, of Jereyville, a daughter of Isaac Snedeker, of Trenton, N. J. In 1868, Mr. Curtius began the erection of his present magnificent farm residence, unequaled within the borders of Greene County; further notice will be given in the historical portion of this volume.