DAMM, CHRISTIAN, farmer, Sec. 9, P. O. Carrollton, is a native of this county, born Jan. 21, 1844; is a son of Deiter and Bena D., who were born in Mozenheim, Canton Osthoven, Hesse-Darmstadt; they emigrated to his county in 1838. Deiter first worked out by the month for Thomas Black, near Carrollton. Subsequent to this rented land of L. Curtis, and after several years of hard labor, saved money enough to make a purchase of the land he now resides upon - Sec. 11. Town 10, range 11. There are four children - Christan, Kate, Deiter, and Bena. Christian, the subject of this sketch, remained at home until he attained his majority; April 12, 1865, was united in marriage to Margaret Rathgeber, born in Ipplesheim, Christ Wurms, Hesse-Darmstadt. She came with her parents to this county in 1848. After their marriage, he engaged in farming on his father's place, remaining there five years. In 1869, he bought 120 acres, where he now resides, it being the Adam Rathgeber farm; since which time he has been engaged in agricultural pursuits. They have three children - two boys and one girl - Katie, born June 8, 1866; Christian, born Nov. 6, 1869; Phillip, born Nov. 23, 1872. Mr. Damm is a man of industrious habits, and has a keen eye to business affairs; and he is also one of the most highly respected citizens of the neighborhood.
DAMM, MRS. SARAH, Sec. 31, P. O. Berdan, was born in Alton, Sept. 16, 1847, if the fifth child of Elias and Sarah Meister. On Dec. 7, 1865, was married to John Damm, who was a native of this county. As a result of this union, they have had four children, viz: Sarah Jane, born Sept. 8, 1866; John, Oct. 30, 1867; Annie, Oct. 7, 1869; Deater, June 22, 1871. Mrs. Damm is now a widow, her husband having met with a tragical death at his own hands, July 2, 1878. She resides at present with her parents, having rented her farm, consisting of 94 acres, which she intends keeping for the benefit of herself and children, that they may be educated and fitted for the coming duties of life.
DANIEL, JAMES, farmer and stock raiser, Sec. 18, P. O. Kane. James Daniel is a native of Greene County, where he was born in the year 1824. The oldest son Nathan Daniel and Louisa. Nathan Daniel was a native of Kentucky, and was but a young man when he emigrated to the west and settled in Greene, where he became a contemporary with some of the earliest settlers, the date of arrival in all probability being 1818 or '19. Here he married Miss Louisa Allen, a daughter of Daniel Allen, a well remembered citizen of the county. This marriage was blessed with five children, of whom as stated, James was the elder, and who has followed farming from his earliest years. In 1856 he was united in marriage to Miss Mary Ann Scoggins, a daughter of Franklin Scoggins, by whom he had six children, five of whom are living. Mrs. Daniel died on February 8, 1869, and was laid at rest in Kane Cemetery. In 1875 he was united in marriage to Mrs. Elizabeth Jane Mundy, a relict of Thomas Mundy, and a daughter of Jackson Wright, who was an early settler of Greene County, and a native of South Carolina. Thomas Mundy was born in Tennessee and became a successful agriculturist. He died in September, 1866. He was the father of eight children, of whom five are living: George B., John O., Madison O., Thomas W. and William C. The estate comprises 126 acres, and is for it size, one of the most valuable tracts of land in this township.
DANROW, JAMES, farmer, Sec. 27, P. O. Athensville, born in Ireland, March 20, 1851; came to this country in 1869, and settled in Greene Co.; married Dec. 22, 1873, to Sarah E., daughter of Ely and Marth Bathel, Greene Co., born March 20, 1853; one child has been born of this union, Richard G., April 9, 1875; Mr. Danrow, since coming to this country, has devoted his industries solely to agricultural pursuits. Farm consists of 100 acres.
DAVIS, JAMES M. prominent among he leading physicians of Greene County; was born in Boyle County, Ky., in 1828. His father, Cyrus A. Davis, was a prominent physician in Kentucky, who there married Miss Anna R. Montague, by whom he had eleven children, and of whom James was the fourth. He was in his fourth year when his parents settled at Carrollton, Greene County, Ill., then a village composed of a few rough stores and dwelling. Purchasing a farm, the head of the family followed agricultural pursuits, when he moved to Carrollton and began the practice of his profession. At first he gained but little practice, but as the town grew quite rapidly, his practice increased in proportion to the growth. Above the average in education and natural intelligence, in 1836 he received the nomination and was elected to the House of Representatives. When the Legislature was in session at Vandalia, then the capital of the State, Dr. Davis bade his family farewell and set out on horseback to attend to his new duties. On reaching the scene of his labors he remained until his term expired, when he once more entered upon the duties of his profession at Carrollton, and where he held many responsible offices. He died in 1852, universally regretted for his sterling qualities. At the early age of 19, James M. Davis began the study of medicine under his father. At the end of one year of unremitting study, he proceeded to St. Louis, where he attended the medical department of the Missouri State University, graduating as an M.D. March, 1852. Digressing a little it will well to state that at 17 Dr. Davis entered the Mexican war, enlisting in Co. H, 2d Reg. Kentucky Infantry; honorably discharged on account of general disability, he resumed his studies. Dr. Davis, now a prominent physician of Carrollton, has held numerous responsible positions, but a short time ago becoming the regular Republican nominee for State Senator. In 1857 Dr. Davis was married to Sarah A. Vedder, a daughter of E. P. Vedder, by whom he has five children: Francis A., Edgar L., Nellie, Nettie and Belle.
DAVIS, OSCAR, farmer, Sec. 4, P. O. White Hall, was born in this county, Oct. 13, 1847. Was married April 8, 1869, to Mrs. Virginia Beam, born in King George Co., Va., and raised in St. Louis Co., Mo., at which place they married , and moved to White Hall, where they remained until Dec. 5, 1877, at which time they moved to the premises they now own. They have had four children, three of whom are living, viz: Frank Stewart, Grace Amanda and Vernon Lee. Mr. Davis owns about 60 acres of land, and hopes by patient industry and rigid economy to acquire a competency, and to leave after him a name and character that shall be worthy of their imitation.
DAVIS, R. H., grain dealer, near C. & A. passenger depot, Carrollton, Ill.; successor of David & Nelton; began in the grain trade in 1868. The present large building for the storage of grain was erected in 1867. Here are stored thousand of bushels of grain, ready for transportation to points north and south. Mr. Davis, who is sole proprietor of this extensive establishments, was born in Kentucky. His father is Dr. C. A. Davis. R. H. Davis moved to St. Louis, Mo., in an early day, entering into a successful grain trade. In 1867 he came to Carrollton, Greene Co., his former home, and in company with his brother entered upon a successful business career as a grain buyer. In 1872 he was elected Mayor of Carrollton. On retirement from office he attended quietly to his large interests in the grain trade, until called upon again to serve as Mayor in 1877, receiving a large majority of the votes cast. Mr. Davis was married to Miss Cornelia Newson, of Petersburg, Virginia, by whom he has four children: Anna, Daisy, Lizzie and Robbie. In 1872 Mrs. Davis was laid at rest in the Cemetery of Carrollton.
DAWDY, JASPER N. farmer, Sec. 12, P. O. Breese, was born in Scott Co., Ill., March 4, 1855. He came to this county with his parents in 1858. His parents are both living; his father was born in this county April 8, 1829; his mother was born in Calhoun Co., Ill., Feb. 18, 1831. He was married April 8, 1874, to Florinda Farmer, daughter of William and Anna J. Farmer; she was born in Gibson Co., Ind., Aug. 5, 1858. They have two children: Albert Elmer, born in this county Feb. 15, 1875; Denver Loyd, born in this county March 5, 1878. He has one sister and six brothers living; he has a young man living with him by the name of Francis M. Crane, born March 11, 1860. He is living on his mother-in-law's farm, northwest of the town of Breese.
DAWSON, NATHAN P., farmer and stock raiser, Sec. 25, P. O. White Hall; the subject of this sketch was born in the State of Maryland, in the year 1817; he was in his twenty-fourth year when he left the scenes of his youth for the boundless West; this date, 1841, was an early date in the history of Illinois, whither he directed his footsteps, but locating at Missouri, where he married Miss Ruth Amos in the month of December, 1842, making his way to White Hall and remaining one year; he then went to Manchester, in Scott; for many years Mr. Dawson has lived near White Hall, where he owns 42 acres of land well cultivated, which he offers for sale at low rates; of the marriage referred to ten children were born, eight of whom are living: Mary M., George F., Matilda, Amelia M., James A., Charles W., Thomas A. and Rutha B.
DAWSON, NATHAN, blacksmith, Sec. 33, P. O. Rockbridge, born in the "old Dominion", Morgan County, Virginia, March 11, 1820, he is a son of Mary and Henry Dawson, his father is of English descent, Nathan's mother was of German. Nathan's father was a tailor, but carried on farming at the same time. Nathan, after he became of age, began for himself, engaging in farming. At the age of 22 he married a lady by the name of Speelman, her Christian name being Seventh Ann, being that number in numerical order of her family, whose name was Ann, hence the title; their marriage took place Feb. 14, 1844. they have had eleven children, all of whom are now living: Richard, Peter E., Emily F., Cora B., Mary J., Napoleon, Henry C., Nancy J., Jefferson D., Taxana L., two of the above are still back in the State of Virginia. After he married he farmed it for three years, then engaged in the millwright business until 1869, when he emigrated to this State, and settled at Fayette, where he engaged in the same business; remained there five years, then came to Medora, where he staid a short time, then came to the town of Rockbridge, where he has since remained, and been engaged in the above named business. He is Demorcratic, and of the staunchest kind. Mr. Dawson is constructing an invention for cutting hedges by horse-power. He is a member of the Knights of Pythias.
DAWSON, R. T., carpenter, P. O. Rockbridge. Richard was born in the "Old Dominion", February 1st, 1844, was the son of Nathan and Seventh Ann Dawson, she receiving his cognomen from the fact that she was the seventh daughter, all of whom had Ann attached to their names, hence the appellation "Seventh Ann". In August, 1861, Richard went into the Confederate service, during his sixteenth year, enlisted in the 89th Regiment Va. Infanty. In August 1862, the following year, was taken prisoner by the 54th Penn. Eg't commanded by Col. Campbell and was released by order of Secretary Cameron. He then returned home and engaged at his trade, which he followed until Apr. 1, '65, when he took a trip to this State, remaining about three months, returned and resumed his trade. On December 8th, 1868, was married to Rebecca B. Casler, born January 10, 1851. By this union had five children, four of whom are living: William Ross, born July 19, 1870; Peter L., born August 4, 1872; Ota B., born April 19, 1874; Grace D. born March 16, 1876; Lillie May, born April 5, 1878. In 1869 he removed to this State and located in Fayette, where he remained two years, then came to Rockbridge, and has since been engaged at his trade; is a good workman, and gets all he can do. He is a member of the Presbyterian Church, and of the Knights of Honor, Golden Rule Lodge No. 1017.
DAY, WILLIAM C., physician, Greenfield. Among the prominent practitioners of 'materia medica' in this county is W. C. Day, who was born in Arkansas, June 24, 1837; is the eldest of a family of two children born of Preston J. and Agnes Day. When about three years old removed with his parents to Springfield, Missouri, where his father built the first cabin in the town, where he remained several years, then moved into a mountainous district, at which place the advantages afforded to the "young idea" were not at all flattering. He subsequently attended the High School at Lebanon, remaining there until graduation. At the age of twenty, he having a desire to became a disciple of Esculapius, entered the St. Louis Medical College, graduating in 1861. June 20, 1862, enlisted in the Missouri Sate Militia, 14th Regiment, remaining in the same until March 3d, 1863, when he received his commission as Assistant Surgeon of the 4th Missouri Cavalry, remaining until May 20, 1865. After his return he located in Palmyra, Illinois, in the practice of his profession. February 20, 1866, married Lettie Allmard, born in Delaware County, Pa., 1846. Four children have crowned this union: Louis R., born December 6, 1866; James A., born October 29, 1869; Anna., born February 12, 1872; Gertrude L., born January 4, 1875. On March 9,1 871, took the 'ad eundem' degree in the St. Louis Medical College; May 1, 1874, came to Greenfield and engaged in the practice of medicine; June, 1877, associated with him Dr. Martin, under the firm name of Day & Martin. The doctor's efforts as a practitioner have been crowned with success, and his ability is recognized as among the first in the county. Is not a member of any church organization; is a member of Greenfield Lodge A.F. & A. M., No. 129.
DEE, JOHN V., retired farmer, a resident of Carrollton, and one whose name will go down to posterity as one of the pioneers of the Northwest; was born in Vermont Feb. 15, 1804, the fifth child of John and Elizabeth Dee, who died during the early infancy of the subject of this sketch. During the summer of 1821, John Dee and John, Jr., father and son, settled in Greene County, within eight miles of what is now Carrollton. Wild game of every description, peculiar to the Northwest, abounded, and here and there nestling among the tall native grass might have been seen the frontiersman's cabin. The father entered 160 acres of land, but tilled the soil but little, as he was a carpenter by occupation; a man who knew no idleness, he became moderately successful in life. He died in 1858. John, Jr., grew to manhood in Greene County, having for his associates some of the best men who trod the prairies of Illinois. When the first war with Blackhawk occurred, in 1830, he enlisted in Captain Fry's company. Mr. Dee recollects well the signing of the treaty of peace at the old fort on Rock Island. But little more remains to be told; but to such men as John Dee, who pave the way for a high grade of civilization, we owe our national prosperity. From boyhood to manhood, from middle age to old age, Mr. Dee has followed farming with a success, brought about by no lucky accident, but by systematic and well laid plans. For the past few years, a resident of Carrollton, he lives in the enjoyment of the comforts of our modern day. In 1814, Mr. Dee was witness, among others, of the passage on the Ohio River of the first steamboat.
DELEHANTY, WILLIAM, stone mason, Sec. 2, P. O. White Hall, was born in Ireland in 1813. Came to Rochester, N. Y. in 1844, staying two years in Canada. Married twice, first, in 1848, to Miss Mary Savage, who was born in Ireland in 1827. Came to America in 1840. Had two children by this marriage, Ellen and Hannah. The first wife died in 1855, in Livingston County, N. Y.; married again in 1860, to Miss Catharine Meagher; have one child by her first marriage, Catharine Meagher. Mr. Delehanty owns 14 acres of land in the suburbs of White Hall. Came to Greene County in 1858.
DELL, GIL. H. renter, Sec. 13, P. O. Athensville, son of Matthew Dill, who was born in Alabama, Feb. 1, 1811, and came to this State, settling in Greene Co. in 1857; married to Martha Hazelton of Kentucky, who was born April 19, 1819. Six sons and four daughters were born of this union, of which Gil. H. is the sixth child, and was born in Kentucky, May 16, 1849, where he lived until his parents moved here. Married Dec. 26, 1875, to Caroline Smith, Greene Co., born Aug. 10, 1853. Two children have blessed this union: Matt H., born Feb. 3, 1877, and Carrie M., born March 7, 1878. Mr. Dell has devoted his industries exclusively to farming. Rents 90 acres.
DELNOTTE, J. E., farmer and stock raiser, Sec. 1, P. O. Berdan. Mr. Delnotte is a native of New Jersey, born in 1843. Motherless at the youthful age of twelve, and his father dying during his seventeenth year, and thus thrown upon his own resources at a time when others of like age had the comforts of a home, his was hard lot for many years. Digressing a little from the subject in hand, John Delnotte, the father, was born in Mercer County, Ky., on the 16th of May 1809; on attaining his majority he for a short time became a resident of Christian County, he there passed the remainder of his life in 1863; his wife, whose maiden name was Curry, a most estimable lady, departed this this life in 1856. John, who heads this notice, passed his boyhood in Greene County, following agricultural pursuits; in 1870 he was united in marriage to Miss Martha E. Pinkerton, a daughter of James M. Pinkerton, by whom he has two children: James M., and Wm. E.
DEPOSTER, ABRAHAM, farmer and stock raiser, Sec. 29, P. O. White Hall. Mr. Deposter was born in Johnson Co., Illinois, in 1833; the youngest of a family of nine children; he grew to manhood upon the old homestead property of his parents, Thomas Jefferson and Winifred. During his twentieth year he came to Greene County, where he first worked by the month, afterward renting property. In 1860 he was united in marriage to Miss Caroline Overby; one of the foremost settlers of Greene County; of seven children born of this marriage, six are living, Sarah W. born May 3, 1861; Alonzo Nov. 10, 1866; Martha L., May 9, 1864, died 1865; Mina Jane, March 30, 1870; Albert A. and Cora A., twins, April 30, 1874 and Leiws, March 12, 1878. In 1865 Mr Deposter purchased his present farm of 40 acres in Tp. 12, R. 11.
DIXON, HENRY JEFFERSON, farmer and stock raiser, Sec. 4, P. O. Rockbridge, although not among the earliest pioneers of Greene County, is worthy of more than a passing notice. He was born in McLean County, East Tennessee, on the 1st day of October, 1823, the second child of Solomon and Sarah Dixon; he passed the days of his youth on the old farm homestead, where he acquired that knowledge of agriculture that led to successful results, when he subsequently became an Illinois farmer; he was but seven years of age when the family removed to this state; on the 20th of December, 1829, this overland route to the West was made in what is familiarly called a prairie schooner, or covered wagon; on their settlement, near what is now Fayette, on farm property, where a log cabin, composed of round logs, was soon in process of erection and completion; not long after the family settlement, the deep snow ushered in a monotonous winter for the new comers; this event, well remembered by many who have grown to an advanced age, of the pioneers of Greene County, caused much suffering and hardships; the snow accumulating to a depth of from three to five feet, caused many wild animals to perish, causing a scarcity of game in subsequent years; the old folks have long since been gathered to their fathers, after an eventful life in Southern Illinois. Jefferson, from whom this narrative is obtained, grew up amid pioneer associations, and received his preliminary education in a log school house, with a fireplace as large as a modern bedroom and the hard beaten earth answered the place of flooring; in 1848, he was married to Miss Margaret Allen, a daughter of Benjamin Allen, one of the first pioneers within the borders of Greene County. He now turned his attention to blacksmithing and wagon making, continuing in this vocation for a period of twenty-five years, thereby gaining his first start if life, his first purchase of farm property was made in 1849, and consisted of 20 acres; since this date he has added materially to his possessions, and now owns 100 acres in this township of valuable land; of the marriage above referred to six children were born, four of whom are living: Sarah J., who married Isaac Hardin; Clark, Albert and Benjamin F.; John H. and infant child, deceased.
DIXON, WILLIAM, farmer and stock raiser, Sec. 24, P. O. White Hall. William Dixon was born in the north of Ireland, about 1826 where he followed the occupation of farming from boyhood to manhood; at twenty-six he crossed the Atlantic for America, landing in New Orleans City in 1849; he now proceeded to Ohio, where he was married to Miss Sarah Ann Dodsworth; leaving Ohio in 1850, he settled in Greene Co. near White Hall, where he worked as a farm hand three months; he then rented property and finally became enabled to purchase; he now owns 225 acres; this farm, for its size, is one the best in the county, containing no waste land. Mr. D. has become a successful farmer through indefatigable industry; he has a family of six children: Emma, Mary, Charley, Nellie, Carrie and Robert.
DODGSON, CHRISTOPHER, who bore no secondary part in the growth and development of the flourishing County of Greene, was a native of Yorkshire, England, and was born in 1802. In his 18th year, date 1820, he looked about him for a new field of labor, and accordingly embarked on board a sailing vessel for America, landing in the City of Baltimore, thence to Madison County, Ill., where he first worked as a farm hand, years later, he became a resident of Greene County, locating near the present City of Carrollton, on the farm now owned by Benjamin Roodhouse. As this date, 1822, was an early one even the history of the great Northwest, we here append a few facts relative to an early settlement in a new country. There was but one building then in Carrollton, a rough dwelling composed of logs, which was used an an inn, and known as the Jack Traveler. It stood for many years on the site now covered by the dry goods establishment of McFarland & Weagley. On the old farm homestead of his parents, John and Elizabeth Dodgson, our subject passed his earlier years, and subsequently became a distiller. In 1843 he united his fortunes to Miss Mary Morfoot, a daughter of John and Elizabeth Morfoot. During this term of years Mr. Dodgson had became exceedingly prosperous, and began to take a leading position as an agriculturist,, having purchased the property formerly owned by John Dodgson, his father. He continued on the home place many years, and some 13 years ago moved to Carrollton, where he built one of the most substantial and handsome residences that the city affords; and here, while enjoying the fruits of his early labors, he passed quietly away to the world of spirits to which we all are tending, on the 4th of April, 1878. None of his great success in life was due to accident or fortunate circumstances, but lay in his own indomitable will and an energy that never flagged. And to such men, who made a home in the wilderness, do we owe the comforts that we today enjoy. Mrs. Dodgson, from whom this narrative is obtained, resides on the home property, in Carrollton, is a native of England; born in 1810, the second child of John Morfoot whose name is mentioned elsewhere, to settled in Greene County in 1820, who was the first among the early settlers who were attacked by the cholera then prevalent, and died some 45 years ago.
DODGSON, DAVID, farmer and stock raiser, Sec. 4, P. O. Carrollton. The above named gentleman, whose life career in Greene County has been more than ordinarily successful, is the oldest now living of the family of twelve children. The head of the family, Peter Dodgson, was a native of Yorkshire, England, who departed from the scenes of his childhood in his fourteenth year for the broad shores of the New World. In Greene County, where the family located, he grew to maturity; of more than ordinary promise, indeed of marked ability, and of deep religious convictions, he accomplished much good in the long busy life allotted to him, a contemporary with such talented men as Peter Cartwright, and others. Like them he became noted for his earnest Christian piety, kindly disposition, and native talent. His wife was Miss Jane Brown, a most estimable lady, of excellent Christian character and kindness of heart, who is still living, a resident of township 10, range 12; her husband long since passed away to a home not made with hands; all that is mortal now rests in Hopewell Cemetery, a handsome and worthy monument marking the spot. David Dodgson inherited the hardy vigor of his ancestors, and grew up a stout and healthy youth; at twenty three, in 1854, he united his fortunes to Miss Sarah Chinn, by whom he had seven children; five living, whose names are: Leonard P., Alice J., Wm. P., Carrie B., Edgar D., deceased; Laura A., and Sarah C. On the 29th of March 1872, Mrs. Dodgson departed this life, finding a last resting place in the cemetery of Hopewell; August 31, 1877, he was united in marriage to Mrs. Elizabeth Goode, relict of George Goode, and a daughter of Ezekiel Edwards; as more than a passing notice is given of Mr. Dodgson in the general history of this work, in closing this brief statement it may be said that it very rarely happens that even among our Illinois farmers few develop the surprising energy of him who heads this sketch, and whose success in life is rarely equaled; the owner of nearly 500 acres, he takes rank as a leading agriculturist.
DODGSON, William, deceased, was born in England in 1806; in his seventeenth year he accompanied his parents to America; after a long voyage the little party of emigrants landed in New York City, thence to the broad prairies of Illinois, and located near Carrollton, in Greene County; in his twentieth year he married Miss Brown, of Greene County, by whom he had eight chldren, five are living; Shorttly after his marriage, Mr. D., a very energetic man, purchased an 80 acres tract of land, and for a number of years was well and favorably known as the Carrollton butcher. Mrs. and Mrs. Dodgson have long since passed away; his second wife was Miss Sarah Garrison, by whom he had seven children: Maria, Eliza, William, Alice, Carrie, Charles and George not living; Mr. Dodgson owned at the time of his death 350 acres of valuable land, part of which lies in the corporation of White Hall; he was held in high esteem by all.
DOHM, JACOB, farmer and stock raiser, Sec. 17, P. O. Greenfield. Jacob is the sole survivor of a family of three children, born of Jacob and Margaret Dohm, who were natives of Hesse Darmstadt. Jacob the subject of this sketch, is a native of Greene County, and was born August 29, 1841, in town 10, range 10. His parents came to this country in the year of 1836. His father died about six years afterward. His mother remained a widow several years, and is now the wife of Peter Acherbach. After the death of his father he remained with his mother up to the time of her marriage with Mr. Acherbach. He then hired to his step-father, by the month, worked two years, then enlisted in the 100 days service, in the 133d Regiment Illinois State Volunteers, remained out five months. Returning from service, farmed one years on his own account, then hired to John Hardcastle for one season, then farmed again for himself; then was united in marriage to Anna M. L. Brendle. She was born October 29, 1839, is a daughter of Louis Brendle, of Polk County, Iowa. Their marriage took place November 15, 1866. Six children have blessed this alliance; four are now living viz: Maggie, born September 11, 1867; Anna, born August 23, 1871; Fred, born May 13, 1873; Mary born October 4, 1877. After their marriage removed to Macoupin County and remained until December 31, 1867 when he removed to the place he now occupies. The place when he came was nearly all in timber and underbrush and an old log cabin was all the improvements. He has cleared the place up and now has 180 acres of excellent land which he has since farmed, is engaged also in trading to some extent, and his actions and dealings are characterized by a disposition on his part to deal justly and squarely by all those with whom he has business relations.
DOSSEL, GEORGE. Among our German citizens few won their way into popular favor more than George Dossel; he was a native of Germany, born June 2, 1821; in 1848 he stepped on board a sailing vessel bound for America, landing in New Orleans. In 1852 he made his way to Greene County. He was a plasterer and stone mason by trade; working at this vocation until 1861. In 1862 he entered into the business of a confectioner which he continued up to the time of his decease, which occurred April 13, 1869. The business successfully begun by the father has now fallen to the oldest son George, a patron of this work, who inherits from his father a business tact and decision of character that makes him a successful businessman. Of this family there are four children: George, Louisa, John and Charles. Mr. Dossel was twice married; his first wife was Miss Margaret Betts, the marriage ceremony taking place in the city of New Orleans, La. their union was blessed with one child, George, previously mentioned. In 1856 he was married to Miss Catheinre Shraum, by whom he had three children: Louisa, John and Charles.
DOWDALL, JAMES, farmer and stock raiser, Sec. 7, P. O. Rockbridge. For nearly one hundred years the tide of emigration flowed steadily westward, and among the many who became residents of this county in an early day, few have displayed more of the characteristic energy of the pioneer than James Dowdall, born in the year 1826, in Jennings County, Indiana, settling in Greene County in 1831, at a time when Illinois had witnessed few improvements of a substantial nature. John Dowdall was a native Virginian, raised in Kentucky. He was married while on a visit to Indiana, to Miss Elizabeth English, a daughter of Elisha English, of Kentucky. Having now followed the fortunes of this enterprising band of emigrants to Greene County, where many of them were destined to play a prominent part in the growth and development of this portion of Illinois, owing to limited space the statement is here given, that for the period of time in which he lived, John Dowdall was a successful agriculturist, who displayed marked energy that led to successful results. He died October 27, 1856, and was laid at rest in the beautiful cemetery of Carrollton. Mrs. D. passed away in 1848. James, from whom this narrative is obtained, who ranks among the more opulent farmers of Greene County, passed his early years in humble circumstances. In 1850 he was united in marriage to Miss Mary Stevens, a daughter of John Stevens, of Virginia. To use his own language, Mr. Dowdall was then worth about $100, and procured his first start in life through diligence and strict attention to business, and the same energy that characterized his boyhood, laid the foundation of his present fortune. The owner of over 1000 acres of valuable land in the counties of Macoupin, Jersey, Montgomery and Greene, he enjoys the confidence of his many friends in this county. His hospitality is unbounded, and his nature genial and liberal. Of the marriage above referred to, ten children were born, of whom nine are living: John H., Joseph L., Anne E., Sarah W., William E., Anabel, Mary O., Martie O., Lucy M., James W., deceased.
DOYLE, THOMAS CAPT., tailor, was born November 2, 1837, in Tallow, County Carlow, Ireland, and was married June 9, 1856 to Mary E. Findlay. He emigrated to the United States in August, 1856, landing in New York City, where he remained until the outbreak of the Mormon war, when he joined the regular army, Co. D, lst Regiment U. S. A. After the Mormon difficulty he was engaged in the Utah campaign, and also with the Cheyenne Indians in 1858. He was then ordered to reinforce Major Van Dorn who was engaged fighting the Comanche Indians in 1859, during which time he was in several engagements with this tribe. In the Summer of 1860 made another expedition against Kiawas, and participated in the battle, Ausut 16, 1860, which resulted in a victory over the tribe. The Presidential election occurred about this time, causing trouble in the border States, the command he belonged to was ordered to Fort Smith, Ark., remaining there until April, 1861. Here, he says, was the most trying time of his whole life. Every commissioned officer in his company, "went over to the South," and joined the C. S. A. army and he was strongly solicited to go also, being tendered a commission and other inducements which were very enticing, but he spurned them all and remained loyal to the flag of his adopted country. Subsequent to this was engaged in the battle of Wilson's Creek, where 35,000 of them were for several hours pitted against 35,000 - where Gen. Lyon fell. Mr. D. was at this time a bearer of dispatches, and after crossing the enemy's lines five times, he was taken prisoner. After his exchange he was promoted to lst Lieutenant, and served as Battalion Adjustant, lst Missouri Cavalry, M.S. M. In the Fall of 1862 was promoted to lst Lietenant and Adjutant of same regiment. In 1864 he veteraned in the 13th Missouri Cavalry and in January, 1865, was promoted to Captain of the same company and regiment, After the close of the war, went with his regiment to open the Santa Fe route across the Plains, and was finally mustered out of service, Jan. 12, 1866, have a military experience of nine years. He went out as a common soldier, and served his country faithfully and well, and the Union has no braver defender of her national honor. His fine and soldierly bearing coupled with his executive ability, secured him a many prominent staff appointments during his term of service. He served as Assistant Adjutant General, also Assistant Inspector Gneral on General Sanborn's staff, which he filled up to the time he was mustered out. Upon his return home to the quiet walks of life, he served sometime as a member of the Metropolitan Police in St. Louis. January 1, 1867, moved to Carlinville, where he resumed his trade; remained there until August 7, 1877, when he came to Greenfield, and has since remained. Is superintendent of the cutting department in the Star Clothing House, and is an A No. 1 artist as knight of tape and shears. During his army life he acquired an appetite for the ardent, and it was feared for some time by is friends, that he would become a hopeless sot, but before the temperance wave swept across our land he rallied and threw the monster from him, and has since been a staunch advocate of the temperance order, and has, by his example and his speeches on the rostrum, done much good for the cause; has spoken in all the surrounding towns in the adjoining counties, and through the columns of the Gazette held a spirited debate with his minister, Father Sauer, o the subject of temperance, and the palm of victory was universally accorded by the people to Captain Doye. Mr. D. has had eight children, four of whom are living: John W., born in Warrensburg, Mo, Nov. 27, 1863; M. Alice, born in St. Louis, Mo. January 6, 1866; Cornelius born in Carlinville, Ill., December 11, 1871; Joseph H., born in Carlinville, Ill., April 27, 1875.
DRENNAN, J. P. ex-merchant, and prominent among the citizens of Roodhouse; was born at Kenton, Ohio, on the 15th of Sept. 1815. Mr. D. grew to manhood in Ohio, and there received a liberal education. When the war broke out, he was living at Mansfield, Ohio, and enlisted in Co. F., 82nd Ohio. Was Captain, Asistant Quaratermaster in field until 1864, and took charge of clothing, camp and general equipage until 1865. Since his location at Roodhouse, Mr. Drennan has proved himself not only a capable business man but one whose integrity is unquestioned. He has always taken a deep interest in church matters and the advancement of education.
DRESSEL, JOSEPH, farmer and thresher, Sec. 31, P. O. Kane. In this brief biographical sketch we trace back to some extent the ancestry of our subject. His father was a native German, born at Baden; by trade he was a stone mason, and to some extent followed agricultural pursuits. He married in his native land a German lady, unfortunately the maiden name is not remembered. In 1854 or '55 the family crossed the Atlantic, landing in New Orleans after the usual voyage on board a sailing vessel. From the Crescent City the family voyaged up the Mississippi to St. Louis, where they fell victims to the dreadful scourge, the cholera. Young Dresssel thus thrown upon his own resources at the early age of eight, he secured such employment as his early years would warrant; two years later becoming a resident of Greene County, where he worked as a farm hand for many years. In 1865 he was united in marriage to Minerva Hudson, a daughter of John H. Hudson, by whom he has five children, Mattie, Jessie, Freddie, John and Hattie. It was during this year that Mr. D. realized the fact that the old horse power mode of threshing was entirely too slow a method for this progressive age, and accordingly purchased perhaps the first steam thresher in the bounds of Greene County; the venture involving considerable outlay, was a success from the start, and at the present writing Mr. Dressel, in connection with Mr. R. H. McGee, Geo. Cory, John Flemming and Samuel Burn, is the owner of four steam threshers, transacting a large business in counties of Greene and Jersey.
DRIVER, GREENE, Sr., farmer and stock raiser, Sec. 35, P. O. Berdan; born in 1809, in North Carolina; was married twice, first to Margaret G. Hazlewood, Aug. 25, 1835, who was born Oct. 21, 1816; died March 17, 1849; had six children: Lillias A., born July 28,1836, deceased; William A., born May 13, 1838; infant child, born Oct. 22, 1840, deceased; Pleasant, born May 17, 1842; Robert P., born march 12, 1844; Greene, born Feb. 3, 1847. Married the second time to Polly Ridings, a native of North Carolina, who died Nov. 10, 1872, at the age of fifty-one. Mr. Driver came to Greene County, Ill., in 1830, and labored by the day, farming and helped to make the brick for the court house at Carrollton; followed the occupation of a farmer most of his life and now owns 275 acres of land. His two sons are connected with him in running the farm.
DUNFORD, JAMES, farmer and stock raiser, Sec. 5, P. O. Carrollton. James Dunford is a gentleman of Celtic origin, born in the County of Limerick, Ireland, in 1828; he was the second of a family of fifteen children. The head of the family, Patrick Dunford, married in Ireland, Miss Mary Fitzgerald, who was the mother of fifteen children mentioned above. James remained a resident of Ireland and his twenty-fifth year, when he crossed the Father of Waters for America. Landing in the City of New York November 26, 1853, almost penniless, but possessed of the natural ability of his race, he looked about him for the means of livelihood. From the great metropolitan city he made his way to Kentucky, where he became employed for a short time on the Big Sandy Railroad; thence to Virginia,, where he entered the employ of a railroad company there; in 1856, he located in Calhoun and Greene Counties; two years later, while a resident of Chicago, he was united in marriage to Miss Hannah White, by whom he has eight children, six girls and two sons. Afer his marriage he rented property for a number of years, when he purchased the property now owned by him, consisting of 250 acres, in township 10, range 12. Thus, by industry, the emigrant of long years ago has acquired a competence. Like nearly all of his race, his generosity and kindness of heart in unbounded.
DUNN, G. V. boot and shoemaker, Barrow Station. Mr. Dunn has been established in business in Barrow for the past six years, where, and in the surrounding country he has the reputation of being both a rapid and skillful workman; he was born in Upper Canada, near Toronto, February 1859; he was but twelve when his parents emigrated to Ohio, locating at Cleveland, where the head of the family followed shoemaking some six years, when he moved to Kentucky, and thence to Indiana, where young Dunn grew up, completing the trade of a shoemaker; when the war broke out he enlisted in Co. K, 81st Indiana Infantry, shortly after going to the front, where he became engaged in the following battles: Atlanta, Chicamauga, Franklin, Lookout Mountain, and many others famous in history; on the close of the war he was honorably discharged and returned to Indiana, where he married Miss Margaret A. Hollingworth; in 1867 he moved to the southern portion of Illinois; one year later he moved to Kane, Greene Co., subsequently at Roodhouse, and thence to Barrow. Mr. Dunn has three children, Charles R., Geo. V., and Ira E.