The harness and saddlery business is represented by J. T. Cameron, who established the same in 1855. The building is located on the west side of the square, and is 45x23 feet in size. He has a stock worth about $1,000.
Joseph T. Cameron is a native of Smithville, Tenn. He was born Nov. 5, 1832, and is a son of Joseph and Mary (Phillips) Cameron, natives of South Carolina. His father was a farmer and located in Greene county as early as 1836. He died at Pueblo, Mexico, in 1848, whither he had gone as a soldier. Mrs. Cameron had died in Tennessee many years before. Joseph T. was educated in the common schools of this state, and learned the trade of a tanner, being indentured to Charles McFadden. He subsequently learned the saddlery business, under Hiram Keach, and has since engaged in it with the exception of about two years during the war, when he clerked in a store. He then again resumed his former business and is still occupied thereat. Mr. Cameron was married Dec. 6, 1859, to Jane E. Morrow, daughter of Z. A. and Rebecca (Edmonds) Morrow, natives of Tennessee and South Carolina, respectively. Her father is now a resident of Texas. Her mother died in this county. Mr. and Mrs. Cameron are the parents of one child - George M., born June 18, 1861. They are members of the Baptist church. Mr. Cameron is a member of Carrollton lodge No. 50, A.F. & A.M.; of chapter No. 77, and of Hugh DePayen commandery No. 29, and of the G.T. lodge, No. 393. He has been master in the blue lodge, has been and is now king in the chapter, and is now warder in the commandery. Mr. Cameron has held the office of alderman of the city several terms. He is a genial, industrious business man, and has met with a liberal patronage in consequence.